macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

well 1.0.11 version is quite buggy, try to boot in verbose mode after installing the kext.

But even i would recommend to update ur card specific firmware on windows and it should also stabilize functionality on OS X.

Well I got OS X 10.8.2 installed and going. Only problem I have is the damn artifacts. I tried updating my FakeSMC as I read it fixes on some systems. With 10.7 it was as simple as using SMCPingDaemon or FanControl. I have the unlocked bios is there something I can adjust to make them all go away? or some other solution Im not finding anywhere.

@ JohnnyD

Well this trick always worked for me whenever i had artifacts, Try to clear caches /System/Library/Caches, except for these 4 folders com.apple.bootstamps, com.apple.corestorage, com.apple.CVMS and com.apple.kext.caches delete any files present in caches folder. Then Delete any sub folders & files present in those 4 folders but do note don't delete Directories & startup sub folder in com.apple.kext.caches but delete the files inside these folders.

Now days whenever I install OS X, i make sure i delete these things and then boot in to OS X, i never had any artifacts.

Hope this works.

Well previous OS X 10.8.2 Pre installed image was a mess with lot of things broken, MBR patch was the culprit, uploading a new version ( Don't worry tested this time). Also integrated OS X 10.8.2 supplemental update in to the Pre installed image, updated download link on the first post. have fun.

cheers

I'am wondering if you could write a guide for the people that are booting from the UEFI instead of the old lagacy BIOS? That should be different, right? I would like to have both mac os x and windows 8 on the same SSD :)

Nothing different.. you have to have Clover UEFI configured as a bootloader, possibly a boot order entry added via shell 2.0 bcfg command....

I'm sorry I'm not good at writing guides. I have been hackintoshing since 2008 and my ways are somewhat different from what I can still read around here.. people have gotten lazy and yet want everything working perfectly. mackyreaddy still haven't figured out that for brightness hotkeys to work a properitaory kext IOWMIFamily by hotkoffy (recompiled to support new Dell WMI) is required. for brightness levels to be restored after reboots clover is required (I have proposed the backlight-level runtime variable to slice, so now the bootloader restores the value after reboot properly).. nor do I have an exact model discussed in this thread, so this makes my potential guide even more useless.

• Like 1

been a while since i visited this thread.. been away for a loooooong time because of work..

decided to reformat my dell and reinstall hackintosh 10.7.4

but im experiencing kernell panic when i use this kext "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" need to delete it in windows for mac os to boot.

Tried geekbench (64-bit) and only got 7328

specs - i7 2670QM

definitely something wrong here hehee

UPDATE:

i used the old "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" from the old kext uploaded by mahesh for 10.7.2 before

now geekbench is up to 9335, still a far cry away from 10200 but better

Updated first post attachment with a new A.19 DSDT which has Fn Brightness keys patch and few other optimization fixes and also updated with IOWMIFamily.kext.

Did you update the DSDT that has the nvidia turned off as well?

• Like 1

Are you still getting artifacts when you play videos?

Actually i had some artifacts. than i installed an update from app store. cant remember exact name (by mistake since i just wanted to update xcode) . Than artifacts gone. Just finished installing will let you know if there are any problems. None so far.

@ JohnnyD

Yup both DSDT's are consistent, Fn brightness keys patch has been included in Nvidia Off DSDT as well.

@ Everyone

If u guys are having graphics artifacts then try to clear caches /System/Library/Caches, except for these 4 folders com.apple.bootstamps, com.apple.corestorage, com.apple.CVMS and com.apple.kext.caches delete any files present in caches folder. Then Delete any sub folders & files present in those 4 folders but do note don't delete Directories & startup sub folder in com.apple.kext.caches but delete the files inside these folders.

Now days whenever I install OS X, i make sure i delete these things and then boot in to OS X, i never had any artifacts.

• Like 2

Nothing different.. you have to have Clover UEFI configured as a bootloader, possibly a boot order entry added via shell 2.0 bcfg command....

Nice. I will work it out from here! Thank you for the hint. Seems to me that installing and configuring clover is of comparable difficulty as chameleon, so normally I should be able to work it out ;)

I still have issues with the FN-F2 button combo, and being not able to install the quickset in windows 8... Could this have something to do with booting from uefi? I don't think so, right? I now tried reinstalling windows 8 and installing another bios (L702X_A19_generic_Unlocked_Menus_&_updated_cpu_microcode)... Both to no avail. Am i the only one with this issue?

Was halfway downloading the micro OS X 8, but will start with the new one mackyreddy ;) Huge thanks!

@ makkyreddy

What is the use of DSDT off when we are going to deleting all NV and Geforce kexts? Am I missing something?

Because even with the kexts deleted the nvidia card is still on causing extra heat and when on battery using extra power.

• Like 1

May I know the reason behind doing this?

Store (Zero, ^^^^AMW0.INF1)
Store (0xE006, ^^^^AMW0.INF2)
Store (Local0, ^^^^AMW0.INF3)
Notify (AMW0, 0xE006)

Instead of stock:

Store (0x03, ^^^^AMW0.INF0)
Store (Zero, ^^^^AMW0.INF1)
Store (0xE006, ^^^^AMW0.INF2)
Store (Local0, ^^^^AMW0.INF3)
If (LEqual (DMFG, Zero))
{
Notify (AMW0, 0xD0)
}

?

IOWMIFamily parses the output from Method called WED, which returns the array INFO

Name (INFO, Buffer (0x80) {})
           CreateWordField (INFO, Zero, INF0)
           CreateWordField (INFO, 0x02, INF1)
           CreateWordField (INFO, 0x04, INF2)
           CreateWordField (INFO, 0x06, INF3)
           CreateWordField (INFO, 0x08, INF4)
           CreateWordField (INFO, 0x0A, INF5)
           CreateWordField (INFO, 0x0C, INF6)
           CreateWordField (INFO, 0x0E, INF7)

Method (_WED, 1, NotSerialized) // _Wxx: Wake Event
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, 0xD0))
{
Return (INFO)
}

CLBY (INFO)
Store (Arg0, INFO)
Return (INFO)
}

So kext expects to read the 4th byte from this array, which is either 0x05 for brightness decrease or 0x06 for increase.

OSArray * array = OSDynamicCast(OSArray, wed);
if (NULL == array)
{
//try a buffer
OSData * data = OSDynamicCast(OSData, wed);
if ( (NULL == data) || (data->getLength() == 0))
{
IOLog("%s: Failed to cast. _WED returned wrong object %s\n", this->getName(), wed->getMetaClass()->getClassName());
return kIOReturnError;
}
const char * bytes = (const char *) data->getBytesNoCopy();
number = OSNumber::withNumber(bytes[4],32);
}
else
{
number = OSDynamicCast(OSNumber, array->getObject(4));
if (NULL == number)
{
IOLog("%s: Failed to cast. _WED returned wrong array element %s\n", this->getName(), array->getObject(4)->getMetaClass()->getClassName());
return kIOReturnError;
}
}

So my problem with being unable to enter setup or boot menu after failing Windows 7 and 8 installs in UEFI mode seems to have been not as personal as I thought... Although the A19 BIOS still appears to be downloadable from Dell, and the problem isn't unique for A19, first time for me was with A18.

@gabn

Currently running OS X in UEFI mode. Personally, I think the Fn+F2 and the QuickSet issues are a bit deeper than just the accelerometer. Pressing Fn+F2 in UEFI mode for me causes OS X ML, the OS X ML installer, Windows 7 and the Windows 7 installer all to hang indefinitively. BIOS mode Windows 7 works just fine, so for sure it's related to UEFI booting. Enabling/disabling wireless (Fn+F2), the accelerometer and QuickSet AFAIK all have much to do with ACPI, so maybe it's some broken ACPI functionality in UEFI. But I don't know really know, my knowledge on the last that is very limited.

@TimeWalker75a

What sleep issues did you mean to in your custom BIOS post some pages earlier? At the moment, I use stock A19 BIOS with only unlocked menus and fixed PowerManagement (thanks for that) and sleep/wake works, although the Ethernet and internal audio don't work anymore after resume. Is that fixed with the old PlatformSmm?