macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

@gabn

Yes, you can boot into verbose mode with Clover. Just press space when selecting the OS, and you will see it. Windows 8 UEFI boot with Clover will probably be prevented by EmuVariableRuntimeDxe. The BSOD, does it say anything about a non-ACPI-compliant BIOS? If so, you could try the ones in this post (direct link). If you try, delete EmuVariableRuntimeDxe. It will load EmuVariableUefi when booting OS X, and will not (and thereby return the real variables, instead of fake ones) when booting Windows and any other OS.

Works like a charm! Thank you so much! Only still some problems when trying to install mac os, probably unrelated to the UEFI booting... Last lines read:

NVDAGF100Hal loaded and registered
ACPI_SMC_Platform Pluging -waiting for Apple SMC
Ethernet address (Realtek RTL81xx) - 62:xx:xx:Xx:xx (mac adress)

Then a long break and then:

Watiting for DSMOS...

And then it hangs...

Suggest you guys leap in to this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284363-how-to-boot-os-x-mountain-lion-with-uefi-and-gpt-hdd/

and help @dmazar test for Phoenix.

Reading the thread it seems like he has to do unnecessary stuff because some users have their system full of sh*tty kexts that prevent proper booting in the first place.

@gabn

How about the ownership and permissions of your S/L/E? Caches deleted? Using a DSDT with the GeForce not disabled (not using a 3D screen?) requires you to delete all NV*.kext and Geforce*.kext files.

Permission is set to read-only. Caches in S/L are emptied (folder structure kept intact). I use mackyreddy's A.19 DSDT (from the 10.8.2 kext pack). Not the one with Nvidea off, since I have the 3D screen and I need the Nvidea drivers. That's also why I didn't delete all NV*.ketxs and Geforece*.kexts, because I need them, right?

@gabn

Yes, you are right, you need those kexts. Does safe boot work? I remember I had the DSMOS message as well, but safe boot worked for me and after deleting all NV* and Geforce* kexts (and clearing caches and touching S/L/E) I could revert to normal booting. In your case, you could try to instead delete AppleIntelHD*.kext, AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext, AppleIntelSNB*.kext and AppleIntelIVBVA.kext. In short, all kexts having to do with Intel HD Graphics. Have you also tried the touch command on your S/L/E folder?

@gabn

Yes, you are right, you need those kexts. Does safe boot work? I remember I had the DSMOS message as well, but safe boot worked for me and after deleting all NV* and Geforce* kexts (and clearing caches and touching S/L/E) I could revert to normal booting. In your case, you could try to instead delete AppleIntelHD*.kext, AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext, AppleIntelSNB*.kext and AppleIntelIVBVA.kext. In short, all kexts having to do with Intel HD Graphics. Have you also tried the touch command on your S/L/E folder?

Don't know about safe boot yet.

What I did was the following: I deleted the kext you mentioned. Then again I set permissions (using chmod -R 755 ****then the volume***), then I used chown -R root:wheel ***then the volume***. Finally touch **** the volume***. Also I added NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. By then starting from clover with the add kext-option I could install Mac OS X. However, my USB 3 was not recognized, so I took out the Clover USB and put my keyboard and mouse in that USB port. In the end the installer gave an error.

Then I did a reboot, and I could see the partition I made for my mac OS X install and I could see the windows partition from my clover USB. Meaning both were installed as (U)EFI. :)

However, Mac OS X is not loading. It stops with

macx_swapon SUCCES

EDIT: tried holding the shift key when booting mac os x, but I think it does not register or so? Because I don't get into safe mode... Now using Macdrive to perform all the steps of the first post after installation failed... Which means deleting all unneccessary kexts.

What I kept were all the kexts from the 10.8.2 image from mackyreddy + the gefore kexts** + ioavb** + iowmi** +NVD*** + NVS**** + Jmicron*** kexts - AppleIntel*** kexts (except the Powermanagement ones).

Still it is stuck on the same line... If I use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext then it continues until I see a blank screen and the mouse/pointer is working and after some time changes into the round "loading" type...

I have attached the logs from the private/var/log directory, maybe someone can help me, because I am completely stuck :(

Update:

Okay... I tried another Clover build (the latest) on my USB, but it did not show the mac os operating system. Therefore I reverted to the old clover build, but this one didn't boot anymore and made my pc boot directly into windows 8. Also my CMOS seems to be corrupted, because pressing FN+F2 during boot does not enter BIOS setup. Entering windows 8 still works. Strange things... After a reflash of the BIOS it worked again (also bootin Clover from USB).

Update2: Ended up installing iatkos_L2 on my formatted GPT partition (legacy boot) which worked out of the box, also my clover USB nicely show this install. Don't know what went wrong with the ML build, going to sleep now.

log.rar

So I've dove into Clover EFI full force. I absolutely love it, especially after following the forum timewalker75a mentioned. My next question is about the kext injection stuff, since Im new to all of this, wouldn't it be possible to use that to edit AppleHDA so that would be one less kext we need to mess with?

Also, I've been searching, I've yet to find it, is it possible to change to time on the autoboot on clover?

After using Clover for about 5 days, Im wondering why I never used it before, its amazing how much more simple things are. especially being able to use the restore partition and use the normal installesd image rather than messing around with baseimage and everything else.

Reharding AppleHDA, you can only patch the binary. You can place the hardwareconfig data from the respective plist into, say, fakesmc's plist to avoid the need of reverting this as well. In the end you would only need to roll back resources -zlibs of platforms and layouts.

Timeout can be adjusted inside efi/boot/refit.conf file.

I just want to thank everyone here contributing to this forum, what a great place.

I succesfully installed OS X Mountain Lion my XPS 17 with the help of the guide in the first post.

Here is my specs:

processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM, 2.3 GHz, 4C SNB.

system board chipset: Mobile Intel® 6 series express chipset HM67

audio: Realtek® ALC665

display: Multi-touch 17.3-inch HD+ WLED, TrueLife™

-video: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 555M

One thing I struggled with and I'd like to add for anyone trying this...make sure to have ownership of the USB drive you use for the install or the permissions will not update correctly...took me a while and many re-installs to figure out.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but I'm new to OS X so it wasn't for me. I've been a windows guy for over 30 year, but my kids are heading to college and want Macs, so I felt it was time for me to transition into the world of Apple so I can support them remotely.

Anyway, I got everything working except sleep, it just wont wake up and the screen stays black. I'm using the Nvidia Off DSDT. I started reading up on DSDT's so hopefully I can get it resolved. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated as I'm struggling to understand the DSDT stuff. I've exported my DSDT and tried applying the patch, but it wont compile. But I'm sure the DSDT from this thread is also highly custom...

JJ

Hi guys. As I'm trying to install OS X on my L702x, I'm encountering a very weird problem. I cannot boot up from the USB, When to system tries to boot up, all i get is one line with 8 smilies. I (believe) I've followed the tutorial from the first page closely, so if somebody has any suggestions, please do tell. Thank you.

post-802935-0-19158500-1354630671_thumb.jpg

Ok guys, I am probably the biggest newbie here, so please I need some help. I read those instructions for installing ML, and I downloaded the ZIP, and I extracted it. What do I do after that? Do I just format the Mac Drive with Mac Drive software and just copy paste the entire folder in the root? And then replace the DSDTs and SSDTs from the attachment in the first post? How do I install the chameleon bootloader? Doesn't it only install from Macinstosh? Since Mcintosh isn't working, how can I install the chameleon bootloader?

Hi guys. As I'm trying to install OS X on my L702x, I'm encountering a very weird problem. I cannot boot up from the USB, When to system tries to boot up, all i get is one line with 8 smilies. I (believe) I've followed the tutorial from the first page closely, so if somebody has any suggestions, please do tell. Thank you.

How did you prepare the USB drive?

Ok guys, I am probably the biggest newbie here, so please I need some help. I read those instructions for installing ML, and I downloaded the ZIP, and I extracted it. What do I do after that? Do I just format the Mac Drive with Mac Drive software and just copy paste the entire folder in the root? And then replace the DSDTs and SSDTs from the attachment in the first post? How do I install the chameleon bootloader? Doesn't it only install from Macinstosh? Since Mcintosh isn't working, how can I install the chameleon bootloader?

I didn't use Mac Drive, I installed iatkos in virtual box on windows and used that to follow the guide.

From VMware workstation, 10.8.2. I've downloaded the preinstalled 10.8.2, installed the chameleon bootloader, but i get the same thing when booting.

Edit: I've disabled the legacy booting which was enabled by default, but it's a no go as well. With UEFI boot, the bios won't even see the flash drive. With both of them disabled, when i try to boot it will go back to boot menu. Any ideas?

Hello folks - dunno how it is for you but i can´t download the last 1082.zip file from mediafire - it shows me this message -->

Archive Download Blocked

The file you attempted to download is an archive that is damaged or possibly encrypted. MediaFire does not support unlimited downloads of broken or encrypted archives and the limit for this file has been reached. This file may only be distributed from a premium account.

Any suggestions how to solve this ?

Also i would be pleased if someone could post the proper SSDT´s for my "exotic" i7 2860Q Processor - tnx.

So I found Revogirls script (my condolences to her family). I generated the ssdt and when compiling I get a remark : "Initializer list shorter than declared package length" but I can still save it and use it. My benchmark is still the same though, only around 8329, so that didn't change at all. I used these parameters : "ssdtPRGen.sh 23 2300"

Am I missing something?

Alright guys, so today was my day off and I decided to install Mountain Lion on my L702x!

I followed the guide on the first page and created a bootable USB, and then installed the OS successfully on my L702x.

Couple observations to note, which I want some opinion on:

1) I am having artifacts. I deleted the files from the cache folder, subfolders etc., as mentioned in the first post. The artifacts go away, but return after some time and when I notice that cache folder again, the files have re-appeared and need to be cleared out again. I was wondering, that is there a permanent fix for this?

2) My wifi is slow. It was slow on "Lion" too. I am using Edimax EW-7811Un USB WIFI dongle. Also, the USB 3.0 is not working for me, so I am using the WIFI dongle in the regular USB port. Is there a fix for this? Which WIFI cards are you all using? Can you recommend me a fast one? Does L702x support an internal PCI wifi card which would run fast?

These are the couple issues I am having. Other than that it works great. My sleep mode also works and I am using the NVIDIA OFF DSDT!

Thanks again to all who contribute here!

Hey raviji,

1) I am having very slight artifacts on my system, but only once in a while. If I reboot it's fine.

2) The USB 3.0 is not working for me either. I bought a Patriot PCB0WAU2-N, it's running pretty well.

I am also using the NVIDIA OFF DSDT, but my system can't sleep.

My mouse will freeze up as well. Sometimes the pointer will work, but the buttons wont.

@raviji and @jjbravo

1) What bootloader are you using? I had the same issue. To fix this you need to download the latest version of Chameleon Wizard (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257464-chameleon-wizard-utility-for-chameleon/) and Kext Wizard. (google, don't use the ones from Kext pack)

• First run the Kext Wizard and install all the kexts again in SLE
  • Run the Kext Wizard and only fix the permissions.
  • Run the Kext Wizard and only rebuild cache.
  • Reboot with -v -f flags
  • If for some reason your keyboard/trackpad or USB 3 does not work only re-install those kexts.
  • Now run Chameleon wizard and install the latest bootloader from Dropbox (click the Dropbox tab on top) onto your ML partition.
  • In Chameleon plist add 'Use KernelCache' using the Chameleon Wizard. Save the changes.
  • Restart your computer but with the flags: -v -f
  • Everything should be normal no artifacts.
  • Now restart again with the flag: -v
  • If you see "Still Waiting for Root Device" then force shutdown the system.
  • Again boot with the flags: -v -f
  • Download and install bcc's patch (link: http://www.insanelym...some-disks-fix/) script using Terminal by running the perl command and the script location.
  • Run the Kext Wizard and only fix the permissions.
  • Run the Kext Wizard and only rebuild cache.
  • Now restart again with the flag: -v
  • Everything should work and you can start ML without any flags.

2) For USB download the 1.0.10 PXHCD.kext (google). This solved all my problems except when waking from sleep, you have to re-plug the device.

3) I would use the eSATA/USB port for the WiFi dongle (bluetooth now). Works great on that port, every other port gives me some issue (with the doogles) on both Windows and OS X. Or you could buy and install Dell DW1510 half mini card (eBay, Amazon, Dell). It works natively on OS X.

My system will not go to sleep automatically when power is plugged in. It works while on battery or if I close the lid.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I went a different route. I followed the guide to use Clover instead. This resolved all my issues!

I now have USB3.0 and my computer can sleep and wake up.

Booting it a lot faster now as well.

One small issue I've had on all my installs is that the Kext Wizard will not work. I do not get the option to choose an installation destination. All I have is Choose, Item2, Item3...anyone else seen this?

I get this error in the system log:

Kext Wizard[353]: -[sUHost sharedFrameworksPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1031b5cd0

Edit: After downloading the latest version of Kext Wizard this got fixed.

Thanks.

I went a different route. I followed the guide to use Clover instead. This resolved all my issues!

I now have USB3.0 and my computer can sleep and wake up.

Booting it a lot faster now as well.

One small issue I've had on all my installs is that the Kext Wizard will not work. I do not get the option to choose an installation destination. All I have is Choose, Item2, Item3...anyone else seen this?

I get this error in the system log:

Kext Wizard[353]: -[sUHost sharedFrameworksPath]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1031b5cd0

Could you direct me to a link on how to enable clover on L702x?