mackyreddy

mackyreddy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Building Operating Systems from scratch
@ anth0ny

ok then i will create a 10.8.2 Pre installed image ( Not Micro, So all features Intact). But after dumping the image to a usb or hard disk partiton just replace ur XPS System specific DSDT, SSDT and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. As i will be placing A.12 DSDT, i7 2630QM SSDT's and org.chameleon.Boot.plist with 1920x1080 resolution and busratio=20, u need to change these things accordingly.

I will release it in couple of days as i am currently busy in stripping down Windows 8, hopefully before Friday night, have fun.

cheers

anth0ny

anth0ny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Thank you, that's great. I have 2670 and A17, so I just replaced the DSDT and SSDTs last time and it all seems to have worked great!

Going to try getting this WIFI card installed, but it looks like you have to take the top of the laptop apart which is slightly scary!

mackyreddy

mackyreddy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
just get a cheap $5 usb wireless dongle from ebay ( which uses realtek chip and drivers or kexts are available from realtek website).

Zpecter

Zpecter

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I will be waiting for that release, and I have the A18, would it need a new dsdt?

anth0ny

anth0ny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Would something like this WIFI card do the trick?

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2966wt_1139

Zpecter

Zpecter

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Would something like this WIFI card do the trick?

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2966wt_1139

I don't if that will work, but I have this installed and works flawlessly:

http://www.ebay.es/i...=item416325e16f

anth0ny

anth0ny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Thanks Zpecter.

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.co.u...1a#ht_500wt_899

Which I may try installing before buying anything.

anth0ny

anth0ny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Damn, finally got through to the mini card bay and found no cables exist to install my Dell WIFI card. This is apparently because I have the NON 3D model! :(

Still need to aquire a WIFI card then.

Zpecter

Zpecter

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Damn, finally got through to the mini card bay and found no cables exist to install my Dell WIFI card. This is apparently because I have the NON 3D model! :(

Still need to aquire a WIFI card then.

I had the same problem with the antenna of this one I bought previously:

http://www.ebay.es/i...=item20bff5cc5a

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,147 posts
Was anyone able to figure the reason behind sleep (wake) not working on newer version of the bios?
I want to upgrade to a newer version because it brings support for my FL1009 USB3.0 controller giving it full speed support and not just USB2.0 speeds like with earlier versions ...

JohnnyD

JohnnyD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Computers

Was anyone able to figure the reason behind sleep (wake) not working on newer version of the bios?
I want to upgrade to a newer version because it brings support for my FL1009 USB3.0 controller giving it full speed support and not just USB2.0 speeds like with earlier versions ...

I think A12 was the last one to support sleep, which sucks if you have a 2670QM i7. Im hoping on of the talented gentlemen in this forum can use the guide on the l502x bios unlocking to get us a full menu of options for our l702x maybe then we can solve the sleep issue on newer versions of the bios.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
@TimeWalker, sleep is working fine, wake is the problem. Something dell changed in both l502x/l702x bios related to the IGD is what breaks wake. I lack the know-how to trace their change.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,147 posts
Count the vostro 3450 in as well. sleep (wake that is) only works with A04, the latest one is A11.. the A07 or A10 brings support for my USB3.0 controller. What has changed for me is that they have implemented notification for _PTS and _WAK when PEG is set as active. They split one 8-bit register in half to allow this, it was predefined with zero value previously.. Also check for to what GFX card LVDS is currently attached (IGPU or PEG) and those notifications for brightness level increase decrease were added... here is a diff for A04 -> A11:

18a19
> External (\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.DD02) <- DD02 is your LVDS display when discrete GPU utilizes it. 
112d112
< Name (SLPO, Zero)
130c130
< OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0xBAF42E18, 0x01B0)
---
> OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0xBAF41E18, 0x01B0)
352c352,353
< OPTF, 8, 
---
> OPTF, 4, 
> SLPO, 4, 
655c656
< OperationRegion (PNVS, SystemMemory, 0xBAE0D018, 0x100E)
---
> OperationRegion (PNVS, SystemMemory, 0xBAE0C018, 0x100E)
3764a3766,3769
> If (LEqual (BRID, One))
> {
> Notify (^^^PEG0.PEGP.DD02, 0x86)
> }
3959a3965,3968
> {
> Notify (^^^PEG0.PEGP.DD02, 0x86)
> }
4055a4065,4068
> {
> Notify (^^^PEG0.PEGP.DD02, 0x87)
> }
4247a4261,4264
> {
> Notify (^^^PEG0.PEGP.DD02, 0x87)
> }
5375c5392
< Zero, 
---
> One, 
5939a5957,5960
> If (LEqual (BRID, Zero))
> {
> Store (Zero, SLPO)
> }
DSDT-wise it's nothing really (but then again our model is shipped with AMD.. however my particular laptop has only Intel onboard).. now that we have unlocked BIOS and graphics settings can be tampered with it's a good idea to note how stuff is set up with a bios that has proven to work, upgrade to a newer one and compare whether or not something changed in setup. But for this you would have to patch 2 bioses .. which is not a big deal really. We have done this for our Vostro, but I'm really not in the mood for testing ... we are currently working out the crisis recovery procedure.

mackyreddy

mackyreddy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
@ Jhonny

I never cracked bioses, its not my cup of tea. I dont think i can successfully unlock the menus. May be Doix or Timewalker can help us in this regard.

I think there should be a way to disable intel completely, as Dell did with xps 17 3d.

@ Timewalker, Doix

Have u guys bisected XPS 17 3D Bios ? may be it should give us a new hope & scope. May be some modules from it can solve our problems

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,147 posts
I don't see how 3D and non-3D bioses differ, since there's only one download for L702x on Dell's support page.
You would have to figure the settings which are different for machines that have 3D displays installed and those having nVidia PEG as primary graphics.
Anyway, I have patched A11 and A18 versions for L702x and unlocked Advanced Menus, enabled MSR write (PWM patch) and unlocked password lengths option in Security tab.

You need to get original WinFlash utility that comes with your OEM updater .. run the updater and let the capsule load into memory, go to C:\Users\your_user_name_here\AppData\Local\Temp\WinFlash and snatch the contents of the folder. This would be your flashing program.
Close the updater (terminate the process)

Get any of these two.. whichever you prefer:
https://dl.dropbox.c...X_A11_UNLCK.zip
https://dl.dropbox.c...X_A18_UNLCK.zip

Unpack it into the same folder you had put the WinFlash contents.
In windows search bar search for cmd.exe and run it as administrator.
cd to the folder where the WinFlash.exe is located (you can do cd and drag the folder to the cmd windows to add the path)
do winflash.exe /BIOS /EC /SA /SV /BBL "L702X_Axx_UNLCK.WPH" in your cmd window, the Axx ofc being the version you decide to flash,
Follow the instructions from the updater .. cross your fingers, wait patiently and enjoy your unlocked bios.

Please be advised I'm not responsible for any bricks or any other damage that may happen to your hardware during/after the flashing process!
(Also it should be safe)
Make sure to not enable things that are not there .. do not tamper with LVDS settins, never enable SATA/ LAN or USB ports that are disabled from the factory ..

P.S. For some reason I was unable to find the A12 bios you guys are referring to, so I had to patch the one prior that version.. I assume it would still allow for sleep/wake functionality since the changes that borked it are implemented in the future versions only.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
@macky The BIOS deactivates Optimus based on data obtained from the 3D LVDS. I don't know if it's possible to locate and replace that data string with the one from non-3D LVDS.

@TimeWalker, you could check SSDT-3 (NvOpTBL or something) from windows to see how optimus gets activated and how NV3D works.

Zpecter

Zpecter

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hello, here is the A12 bios for L702x:

http://www.mediafire...1s0hkh1t3530s5o

PD: I don't know if you have read this:

http://support.dell....id=575104#L702X

Maybe that update will resolve the sleep problem with Mac OS X too, don't you think so??

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,147 posts
DoiX, sorry, I don't quite feel like digging through stuff I have no need for. I don't have a 3D machine, nor I have a machine that has nVidia onboard .. so it's pretty much limited on what I can achieve ... even if I looked into this. I mainly gave out the two unlocked bioses to see if people can find what are differences between IGPU settings in bios across two versions and figure what breaks wake capability. As it's most definitely not DSDT related as I have found myself on my Vostro. So far no one reported the bioses to work, so It's kind of pointless to patch A12..

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
No problem, i only suggested it in case you were curious. After experimenting with it for so long i came to the conclusion that ACPI only handles brute actions such as powering, the complex part like the framebuffer is managed by the bios.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,147 posts
Sure I would have been if I had a hardware to tamper with. Blindly doing things without relying on something you can't physically tinker on is not that great of an experience.
It probably determines what kind of screen is attached by comparing parts of EDID or something. I see no other option .. one could try swapping out screens for a 3D one and if nVidia will indeed be enabled by-default then EDID it is. And EDID can probably be modified, at least it was possible on my Asus's screen when I was playing around with build date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy