macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

Guest bob51

Hi mackyreddy.

Nice jobs for your Win 7 micro. Its so good for netbook :thumbsup_anim:

I have updated to mac os x 10.7.3 you have updated to 10.7.4 with no problems?

I have used the 10.7.2 kexts and it works.

have you an idee for disable the nvidia card for have a better battery and for > the temperature?

thanks.

I am french. Sorry for my english.

Hi Bob51,

Well i have successfully updated to 10.7.4. Just download the 10.7.4 combo update not delta ( though if u guys are on 10.7.3). Install the combo update after completing installation dont restart, force quit the installer from apple menu and then clear the caches after that install all the kexts from 10.7.4 kexts pack. I will add these instructions and 10.7.4 kexts asap to the first post.

By the way have fun with my Micro 7 Version as a lot of hard work has gone into it in keeping them stable even at those small foot print. These Win 7 versions are one of the smallest versions u ever get in community forums. Share with ur family & friends.

Regarding disabling Nvidia card i never tried it because u need to change a lot of code, i have spoken with Doix ( from L502x thread) i checked his DSDT he changed both video card sections, seems to be that he has rewritten the code, where as our L702x DSDT logic seems to be differing a lot. The whole logic of the code have changed with different annotations and declarations.

Frankly speaking i felt like gambling with my video cards and which seems to be foolishness. So i quited ( before starting ) disabling nvidia as it's not my cup of tea.

By the way the good news from Apple seems to be that they are introducing Optimus in the coming generation of macbooks with ivy bridge processors and Nvidia GT 650 M or 630 M graphic card which should help us in getting our Nvidia GT 550 M or 555 M graphics cards. So all i would say is just have some patience and meanwhile play with Intel HD 3000.

cheers mate

Guest bob51

Ok thanks for your reply. What is the difference between the 10.7.2 kexts and 10.7.4 kexts? In 10.7.3 I just have installed the sound kexts and all works (I don't use card reader), I have remplaced my wireless card and wifi works.

Ok thanks for your informations about the nvidia card. For me optimus is not necessaire. If i want to play I boot in Windows 7 and nvidia GT555m work.

In Mac OS x the nvidia card is not nedded. The HD3000 is enought powerfull. But it's only my opinion ;)

When will you make available the 10.7.4 kexts?

Thanks!

In the 3d model, you can get the nVidia graphics card to actually work for 3d graphics (I don't know if stereoscopic 3d works though). In the non-3d model, you'd be confined to using the Intel HD graphics card.

Wow. Thanks for letting me know Deggial. I appreciate your help. I am off to update my BIOS to the latest version then :D

I think I keep my "modest" Mac OS X VM for stuff I want to do without getting out of Windows 7 (gamesalad, Xcode) and install Mac OS X direct on the hardware for stuff like Logic Pro (heh, providing that it works!)

@ bob51

well u can use 10.7.2 kexts meanwhile, well i am just testing some new kexts ( as their seems to be lot of developement going on in the community) and their stability, i will upload soon once i complete testing, may be in couple of days.

@ aleff

i will upload 32 bit versions and let u know.

Guest bob51

Ok. thanks for your tests. For example what is the news kexts? Video? Battery? ...

I have made a video to my dell running mac os x 10.7.3. Il boot slowly because mac os partition is at the end of the hard drive no in my SSD...

• Like 1

New further Slimmed final version of Micro 7 64 Bit has been released.

Micro 7 Full Version: ( ISO file weighs 974 MB and Full installation consumes 2.27 GB)

Release Notes

http://www.mediafire...96s2gdwh0tfxcyh

Download link

http://www.mediafire.../?xa54tay6be8s0

Micro 7 Slim Version: ( ISO file weighs 821 MB and Full installation consumes 2.01 GB)

Release Notes

http://www.mediafire...23i3azrhrlkgecs

Download Link

http://www.mediafire.../?22vxnorbym60y

Micro 7 Extreme Version: ( ISO file weighs 708 MB and Full installation consumes 1.76 GB)

Release Notes

http://www.mediafire...bwnj3osjqjxyspe

Download Link

http://www.mediafire.../?agb5ddxnarb0q

Hy Mackyreddy, happy to see you back here.

Have you locked into the link I added a page back ? (the one to turn off the Nvidia card by editing the DSDT)

Thanks to your guide everything works flawlessly (excepted the battery lifetime which is a real pain...)

I also saw, that the new GT 635M is just a renamed GT 555M, do you know if the new MacBooks will come with this card ? This would make the optimus thingy working really easy, isn't it ?

Hi Deadsmile,

Nope i havent seen the link which u added reagarding disabling nvidia. i will have a look.

I am hopeful as one of my close sources who works in apple hardware and engineering department hinted me as apple might go with optimus in coming generation macbooks. As wwdc is commencing pretty soon ( i think June 6) hopefully we might hear officially from apple about nvidia optimus.

Regarding making our Nvidia GT 550M or 555M cards work will be easy if apple introduces Nvidia optimus technology. I guess more or less we just need to add our GT 550M or 555M devid to get them work flawlessly, if we need something more than that say for example patching the kexts i guess there are many people like netaks in the community to help us in this regard. By the way what u said is right Nvidia GT 635M is just a revamped version of GT 555M.

cheers

• Like 1

I found some more Informations,

http://www.projectos...?showtopic=2315

As I don't really understand how DSDT and SSDT work, I didn't want to try out the bit i understood from this. But the guy there has got his L502X to disable the nvidia card on boot with a DSDT mod.

Have a look at it ;) Hope this will work

I offered to edit the L702x files but it's a hard time taking process, one mistake and the whole thing won't compile. Unfortunately i don't have time on my hands, when i will i shall edit them.

@Macky, could you check when you have time if this #1547 is fully compatible with L702x model and if not what kexts should i add? Thanks

@ Doix

Well I have checked ur package on 10.7.4, everything went smoothly, all kexts installed perfectly, no kernel panics. But with Intel HD 3000 512 Mb kext i am having few graphic artifacts, so reverted back to stock kexts, now everything seems to be fine.

One more fact which might help u in disabling nvidia card for L702x, i booted with ur L502x Nvidia Disabled DSDT got black screen but usb is working , i could hear sound. Can u just apply Dual Link patch to ur L502x Nvidia Disabled DSDT rather than creating DSDT from scratch for L702x.

cheers mate

I'm using the 64MB version, everything is smooth so you could try that version. What ID is your HD3000? 0x0116? If so, use the EFI String provided in the boot.plist or the boot.plist all together(Full Definition one) from the V1.1 Installer. It has dual link patch and several other fixes for graphic artifacts.

Hi I am new to mac,

I understand the whole procedure and I have same specs like Mahesh except 2 changes. I have 6gb ram and intel 6230. I do have 4 NTFS partitions in my laptop. Bios Version is A12 just switched back from A17.

I booted iatkos dvd, used the Kernel flags at boot prompt. Pressed Enter.

Dvd start booting and after 1 minute suddenly it stops with the following lines.

1) HFS Very Low Disk, Freeblks: 1080, dangerlimit:57330

2) Creating RAM DiskFor/Volumes (in this step it creates many volumes or folders)

3) BootcacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/Bootcache playlist: 2 No such file or directory

Now here after waiting around 5 to 10minutes I got following message twice:

4) nstat_lookupu_entry failed:2

nstat_lookupu_entry failed:2

One thing i would like to mention here some months ago i was trying to install linux in my laptop but i could not. The problem i found was with partition, I resized C: windows partition but many times i got error maybe due to some windows secret files which were on the partition and it were not allowing to move them, any way some how i managed to resize that.

Now my question is should I delete my all partitions and re-create them and install fresh windows and then after windows installation i try to install mac ???

Last question which partition format should I select for mac? I mean will mac dvd read my NTFS partition?

Help much Appreciated and thanks in advance :wink2:

Hi Juste,

I am not sure if windows recovery partition is blocking iATKOS L2 DVD as i generally use iATKOS L2 bootable USB. Why dont u try creating an iATKOS L2 USB from VirtualBox its one of the easiest method. Then try booting from iATKOS L2 USB see if everything works or not. If it still doesnt works then recovery partition might be the culprit.

Hey Juste i just added a new iATKOS L2 DVD Method using Transmac App, check it under the Prerequisite section in the 1st page, hope it helps.

cheers mate

• Like 1

Hi Juste,

I am not sure if windows recovery partition is blocking iATKOS L2 DVD as i generally use iATKOS L2 bootable USB. Why dont u try creating an iATKOS L2 USB from VirtualBox its one of the easiest method. Then try booting from iATKOS L2 USB see if everything works or not. If it still doesnt works then recovery partition might be the culprit.

Thanks for replying mahesh. Oh well I have 8GB flash drive with me, 8gb will be enough for this ??

Ok i will try usb method and then I will let you know :)

I think I've done something realllly wrong...

after downloading the 10.7.4 combo and running it (through software updater) i used Doix's pack before restarting... and now -> Nothing...

I get to chameleon and if I choose mac i see th grey screen with the advertisments in many languages (so probably a KP)

Any advice ? Or do I have to reinstall everything ?

Can I just reinstall iAtkos over this to fix it ?

Please help me :(

EDIT : Reinstalled everything from scratch... not that much of a problem.

Happy to see you edited the OP with new nstructions for 10.7.4, just waiting for the pack now ;)

Updated the guide to 10.7.4 with new set of kexts and definitely boot speed has been improved and also geekbench score increased. So i would definitely recommend everyone to update to 10.7.4.

cheers