DISCUSSION OF [Tutorial] Adding the Apple Chime to your Hackintosh!

teme

32 posts in this topic

An idea: is there a microphone input jack on the recorder? If so, you can just hook up the Mac (or computer with MacTracker) headphone port to the input in the recorder. Start recording, start up the Mac (or play the sound in MacTracker), and bingo! That would provide a more "authentic" sound quality.

• Like 1

Nope, there is a built in Condenser Microphone on the module itself....I guess you could desolder it and have a +- input terminal but I probably won't be the one to test that! Good idea though!

That said, with a quiet room you can get an excellent recording which sounds very much like a regular mac starting up....

• 3 months later...

I have always wanted a startup chime.

I was going to look into how the grub2 bootloader plays a sound file & try to port it to chameleon. I would finally have a use for the old Apple G5 internal speaker after all these years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can easily make a custom enclosure for this to fit in the G5 cases if someone send me one. I'll send it back once completed if you guys like it then i can start making money lol.

• 8 months later...

Updated this tutorial for 2013.

I am also looking into a different module (arrived today) that has a + and - audio input rather than a cheap microphone. I'm hoping the quality will be top-notch since it is receiving raw audio instead of passing through a crappy mic, and if so this mod just went up a level :D

Edit: Well it just got here!

Here's a link to the module I ordered: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w5791566505.9.hSKIAW&id=9766180985

It's in Chinese, but Google Translate does a pretty good job (and is hilarious...share the baby!)

ScreenShot2013-02-26at112638AM_zps9e79ed06.png

Don't let the price scare you - I paid $7 for mine on eBay (link). It runs off of the ISD1820 chip (info) and has a 3-5V operating voltage that is perfect for PC use. The best part? Features:

_MG_0084_zps0ecf408b.jpg

To be continued....

• Like 1

For the ultimate in sound quality you would have to recreate the timbre and play the chord on a Korg Wavestation. The chime was created on a Korg Wavestation originally and apparently its a mixture of various sounds, but I can't find the recipe for it.

Some info might be found in this documentary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247703/

• Like 1

I'm using an ISD1820 in my build and I've got the PLAYL held high with the 5V from the PSU (so everything is sleeved into SATA power rather than splicing into the power button)

i.e. +5Vcc and PLAYL are connected together

• Like 1

I'm using an ISD1820 in my build and I've got the PLAYL held high with the 5V from the PSU (so everything is sleeved into SATA power rather than splicing into the power button)

i.e. +5Vcc and PLAYL are connected together

Nice! Do you think you might try your hand at a diagram? I'm a little swamped or I would...

Nick -

Ta da!

(excuse the godawful 2 second paint job -- I'll post up a better job when I'm at my actual mac)

Thanks! Did you use a microphone to record? I'm trying to use a 3.5mm jack out of my phone, and although I can hear the chime, it's jumbled and kind of crappy...

Fantastic - this is really great info! I'll definitely be using this when I get round to adding the chime. When I first thought up the chime mod (seems like an age ago now) it was more of an experiment than anything else - the chip was good, but a little more involved in terms of soldering. With a few jumper cables, this should be a piece of cake!

Could I get WTT and nickjf20 to collaborate and come up with a unified [Tutorial] for this - You both do the same thing, just a slightly different board I believe? I'd like to promote this upstairs.

Let me know guys!

• Like 1

My first post is complete as-is for the module that I'm using. I'll be happy to add Nickjf20's info to the original post, or we can post a new thread in the How To forum and allow one reply with his method? Whatever he/you would prefer is fine with me!

Promoted. I like the idea of it all being in one post, so when I move it upstairs in a week or so, I'll combine it into the one.

Thanks y'all!

• Like 1