• 36 posts
Today i am have freezing with GPU temp 39 and CPU 36

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I do not seem to have freezing issues that are temp related when using Firefox/Flash. Other times, it does seem to be related to intensive GPU function (which could translate to excessive heat.) I do realize now that my monitor temps are pretty inaccurate and that, for my X3100.kext, it is off by about a multiplier of 2. If I double the temp shown by my HW Sensors, it appears to be more accurate. For me, the more frustrating freezes are related to using Firefox/Flash, as in streaming vids.

javuchi

javuchi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Any news?

mnfesq, how is it doing?

Verkut

Verkut

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
javuchi, you have a very bright mind! I think you're getting close to the solution, but maybe your conclusions are not the exact cause of it. I had freezes on every possible temperature of GPU from 30 to 70 degree.
From the other point, maybe the sensors readings are not correct. But I had freezes with BIOS cooling management (it works on Windows without any freezes ever).

The other news I have is that my friend has a genuine Macbook with NVIDIA and he has the same problem as us. So maybe the problem is even not in adaptor.
javuchi, please continue, maybe you finally find it!

P.S. When I have freezes - I hear a very specific high-pitched constant noise coming out of my Hackintosh. I hear it very often and it stops usually. But when frozen it just continues on and on until restart.

javuchi

javuchi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Verkut, thanks, but I havent found it yet.

I'm thinking about another strange posibility. Remote, but possible.

Verkut, you say that you hear a high-pitched constant noise when freezes. Well, actualy that sound is caused by the TFT oscillator of your screen. Try this: increase and decrease the brightness and put your ear near the screen. You should ear something like that high-pitched noise while modifying the brightness.

Now, I'm having the same kind of freezes on linux when I connect and disconnect a SECOND monitor to my laptop. The freeze happens a while after I disconnect it, or even some minutes later when I try to reproduce a video.

Now, thouse having this problem, please try to connect a second monitor to your laptop, and see what happens. If there are freezes or not, please tell us. Experiment for a while.

Sanya

Sanya

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Verkut, thanks, but I havent found it yet.

I'm thinking about another strange posibility. Remote, but possible.

Verkut, you say that you hear a high-pitched constant noise when freezes. Well, actualy that sound is caused by the TFT oscillator of your screen. Try this: increase and decrease the brightness and put your ear near the screen. You should ear something like that high-pitched noise while modifying the brightness.

Now, I'm having the same kind of freezes on linux when I connect and disconnect a SECOND monitor to my laptop. The freeze happens a while after I disconnect it, or even some minutes later when I try to reproduce a video.

Now, thouse having this problem, please try to connect a second monitor to your laptop, and see what happens. If there are freezes or not, please tell us. Experiment for a while.

I reproduced it in linux too (after the 3rd disconnection) , but when i start a warm boot (booted windows 7 and reboot) it won't freeze.. And if I start the OS X with warm boot (after rebooting windows 7), I haven't had any freezes so far..

javuchi

javuchi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I reproduced it in linux too (after the 3rd disconnection) , but when i start a warm boot (booted windows 7 and reboot) it won't freeze.. And if I start the OS X with warm boot (after rebooting windows 7), I haven't had any freezes so far..

So, if I'm not wrong, this problem seems to be related to the VGA port and the way that OS X handles monitors and screens.
Let's find the correlation, if there is one.

Please everybody continue with the experiments with second monitors in OSX and freezes after rebooting in warm from Windows/Linux, and cold.

Jorge Rivera

Jorge Rivera

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I have an Acer 5920 with X3100, got a lot of kernel panics related to x3100fb or freezes working with Adobe Suite CS5 in lion, also when working with multiple fullscreen apps. Finally i'm working for hours without any problem, here's what i have done:
1. Extract all SSDT from everest in windows and enable DropSSDT in chameleon.
2. Install AppleSmartBatteryManager And AppleACPIBatteryManager (After some experimentation i have found that VoodooBattery is unstable in this system)
3. Remove DSDT (I have lost hibernation and fn keys, but its worth it)
4. Install IOPCIFamily v2 (version 2.6)
5. Install AppleIntelGMAX3100FB and SMBIOS

PS: I've tried the legacyspeedsteeper from this forum but random freezes continued...
Let me know if it worked for you...

niotech

niotech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Why did you need SSDT from everest in windows but then enable DropSSDT?

I'll have this approached tested. Thanks for the info, I'll update with the result of this approach.

Jorge Rivera

Jorge Rivera

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
SSDT tables are needed in order to get SpeedStep fully functional in your specific type o machine without legacyspeedstep kext... i also noticed that the widget iStat makes freezes more often. So remove it!....

niotech

niotech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Could you show me how I apply the SpeedStep using SSDT from Everest in Windows?
Which iStat widget you meant? the one on the Menu Bar or Dashboard?

O.. Btw I using your approach with prety stable up to 10 Hours now.. I'll continue using it to see if this is working :)

Thanks.

Jorge Rivera

Jorge Rivera

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
You need to extract the SSDT tables using everest or aida64 in bin format, rename the first one to SSDT.aml and the rest to SSDT-X.aml where X is the number of the table, from 1 to whatever number of tables you get. Copy all of them to /Extra folder and set DropSSDT=Yes in org.chameleon.boot.plist in order to read the tables from the files at boot. Good Luck

niotech

niotech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Aha.. thanks Jorge.

Your approach made the graphic operate and felt smoother than before

el_chaman

el_chaman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there!

First of all, excuse me for my poor english; it's not my first language.

Said that, I want to thank you all for your posts; this forum is a great source of helpful tips.

So, I think I've got a weird solution for this problem.

My computer is a HP Pavillion dv6823es (a spaniard variant of dv6000 series).

I've intalled Mac OS X throught the retail method (I made a bootable USB from Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Retail disk plus a boot loader seeking the instructions given at tonymacx86 forums). After that, I applied the appropiated kext and upgraded to 10.6.8 throught combo update download).

With S.L. the system was pretty stable (with two exceptions that I'll present you later).

Done that, I made a clone disk on an external USB drive using CarbonCopyCloner.
Then I upgraded the system to Lion (again based on a tutorial form tonymacx86) and then I upgraded to 10.7.3, again with a combo upgrade package.

I got this problems:
  • The wifi ( Broadcom familly card) was no longer working on Lion.
  • The mouse's pointer "jumped" while moving across the screen

To solve the first problem I reinstaled on Lion the IO80211Familly.kext from S.L. and executed the bcm43XXX_enabler script that I found on internet. I got wifi working again.

After that, I read in this forum that changing the Lion's AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext for the one that comes with S.L. solves the problem of the jumping mouse pointer, so I proceed and the moused start to work ok.

But after that, the freezes started. I can not say if the freezes were present before, because I applied this solution just after upgrading to 10.7.3.

As a newbie (my history with hackintosh starts two moths ago), I'm afraid of DSSTs solutions (I'm afraid because currently I dont understand very well this system and I'm still reading and learning about it), so I've tried almost every kext based solution posted here without success.... tlll yesterday.

Before applying all the solutions readed here, I made another CCC image from the Lion installation. Then I proceed to test the solutions given by the forum mates without success.

So, as a last effort, I installed the following list of kext (via Kext Utility) from the S.L. CCC image to Lion:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.bak
AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.bak
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

The sollution DOES NOT WORK.

BUT...

I thought to myself: " Now, I'm going to restore the Lion's original kext, and then, I'll reinstall again the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from S.L."

Via Kext Utility, I installed the same list showed above but with the Lion's version of the kext (taken from an original Lion Installation).
I restarted the machine and, for my surprise, the mouse was not jumping anymore (yes, WITHOUT applying S.L. version of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext).

So I've runnig a simple test to check the freezes:
Before this changes, my computer freezes after an hour of running RSS reader Screen saver. Also freezes when Safari was in a page with flash content for a while. My test was clear:

My computer has been running for intervals of time of 8 hours with some Safari windows oppened in pages that contains flash; The screen saver activate after 3 minutes.
I've played Limbo and Angry Birds without problem, having Blender and Unity Studio opened in background fo two hours. No freezes.

This article has been written in a session of Mac OS X that is 4 hour up with multiple windows of Safari and Chrome and VLC playing some episodes of Game of Thrones.... If you see this article, then this is another test.

So, on the assumption that this is a solution: Could it be that the S.L. kext installation leaves behind, after been overwirted by Lion's original kext installation, some kind of files or configurations that "disables" the "thing" that makes the screen go freeze? I'm specially suspicious about the bundles contents.

As I said, it's a weird sollution, but it seems work for me. Now I want to understand why. And maybe it could help someone else.

But I have two problemas I cannot solve:
  • SSD Card reader have never worked. This is not a big ploblem as I do not use it, but I'd like to do if it were possible.
  • The real problem that I currently have is related to the video and it was present on S.L. and still persist on Lion: Sometimes, randomly, when the computer starts, Mac OSX loads and then shows a black screen similar to those that appear when you misconfigure the Xorg configuration on Linux: weird black screen with dark lines drawing around.

It happens radomly, despite of the org.chamelleon.Boot.plist content. I've noticed that if I pass the option of Inmediate Menu or press some key while chammeleon is showing and keep the computer for a while on the chamelleon boot menu, then, the "black-missconfiguredxorg-like-screen" is less likely to be present than if I start inmediatly.

After been working for a while on MacOS X, if I restart or I shut down and power on again the computer, the "black-missconfiguredxorg-like-screen" is not present.

Another symptom is that if an external screen is connected and configured previously as main screen, when the computer starts and "black-missconfiguredxorg-like-screen" happens, the external screen works ok. So I've seen the screen properties and I can not see the resolution (1280x800x32) of the laptop screen. It shows a lot of resolutios like "800x600x32",.....[the closest to mine: "1280x768x32", "1280x1024x32"],...
If I choose one of those, the image comes back, but with a distorted resolution.

When it works ok, it shows only 5 resolutions (1280x800x32, 1024x768x32, 1024x640x32 and 800x600). None of these are present on the other resolution list.

In both cases I get full GL acceleration

Have you any suggestion about this?

el_chaman

el_chaman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi again:

After some days working, finally I got a freeze running VirtualBox with 3D acceleration enabled.

:(

There are two scenarios where I thinks the freeze probabilities increases:

1) Using Safari/webkit
2) Using whatever application that triggers some framebuffer function that makes screen (windowserver, I guess) go freeze.

While the screen is frozen, I can access vía ssh.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I am having this problem much less frequently. Therefore, I have not followed this thread for a while. My problems always seemed to be with Firefox and Flash - both have been updated recently and perhaps that's why I have not been suffering freezes. Whatever the reason, it seems pretty clear that Apples doesn't give a rat's ass about X3100 anymore and has no plans to improve upon its drivers ever again.

Verkut

Verkut

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Seems the SSDT+Everest (up on this thread from Jorge Rivera) stopped my freezes!
I tried Safari/Chrome/Firefox/Flash/Adobe/Parallels/Anything else - NO freezes for two days! (Previously it was freezing 2-3 times a day)!!!

Thank you!!

juanerson

juanerson

InsanelyMac Legend

• Local Moderators
  • 1,486 posts
Some news. Lion 10.7.4 beta built 11e46 (see with Pacifist -- delta update) has NEW GMAX3100 DRIVERS! I have NOT tested yet...

...I will try, but first revert back to native Lion driver with lags (X3100FB.kext version 7.0.52), restart and then install the Delta Update 10.7.4 to see what happens.

Ryan Peiris

Ryan Peiris

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Some news. Lion 10.7.4 beta built 11e46 (see with Pacifist -- delta update) has NEW GMAX3100 DRIVERS! I have NOT tested yet...

...I will try, but first revert back to native Lion driver with lags (X3100FB.kext version 7.0.52), restart and then install the Delta Update 10.7.4 to see what happens.

juanerson,

Where can I find this download. What do you mean by 'see Pacifist - Delta update). Don't you have to be a developer to download 'beta' updates ? anyway thanks for the good news. We have some hope there..

juanerson

juanerson

InsanelyMac Legend

• Local Moderators
  • 1,486 posts
Hi. Try Pacifist, to see inside the .pkg of Delta or Combo Update. Are you looking for beta updates? just google it. Good Luck.

EDITED: Tested the "new" recompiled drivers, BUT mouse lag appear again. So, back to the most stable framebuffer for Lion X3100FB.kext from 10.5.8 vanilla Combo.

Edited by juanerson, 18 April 2012 - 04:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy