[Problem] GMA X3100 Random Graphic Freeze, Mouse Cursor Still Works

niotech

180 posts in this topic

Use the files attached combined with Legacy_SpeedStep MacBook3,2 injector:

MacBook3,2 Merom_CPU files.zip

The Profile (smbios.plist) from /Extra, and the two kexts installed in /S/L/E (replace the previous same kexts if necessary).

Tested and working here:

Captura de pantalla 2012-01-23 a la(s) 18.22.25.png Captura de pantalla 2012-01-23 a la(s) 17.58.36.png

Note: Build your own genuine-valid Mac Serial, and don't share it... please read this commentary. Good Luck.

I just want to report that I have not had a problem with video freeze or KP's for several days. Last week, I decided to stop testing 10.7.3 and did a fresh install of 10.7 with update to 10.7.2. I then used the smbios for MacBook 5,2 and installed the new IntelCPUMonitor.kext for FakeSMC. I also put FakeSMC and all of its monitor kexts in S/L/E instead of E/E. That's all I did to produce the better working condition. I observed a huge difference with the new IntelCPUMonitor. It made fixes for my Merom CPU and now the speedstepping works better than ever. It used to be that I had no more than 3 working P-States. Now, speedstepping works at frequency intervals of 200 MHz from 600 MHz to my maximum of 1800 MHz. I am thinking that the video freezes may be due to inaccurate CPU data which cannot be processed properly by the video kexts.

• Like 1

I just want to report that I have not had a problem with video freeze or KP's for several days. Last week, I decided to stop testing 10.7.3 and did a fresh install of 10.7 with update to 10.7.2. I then used the smbios for MacBook 5,2 and installed the new IntelCPUMonitor.kext for FakeSMC. I also put FakeSMC and all of its monitor kexts in S/L/E instead of E/E. That's all I did to produce the better working condition. I observed a huge difference with the new IntelCPUMonitor. It made fixes for my Merom CPU and now the speedstepping works better than ever. It used to be that I had no more than 3 working P-States. Now, speedstepping works at frequency intervals of 200 MHz from 600 MHz to my maximum of 1800 MHz. I am thinking that the video freezes may be due to inaccurate CPU data which cannot be processed properly by the video kexts.

how to monitor kekst may affect spidstep? As far as I know, IntelCPUMonitor.kext need to monitor CPU temperature and no more. Or am I mistaken?

how to monitor kekst may affect spidstep? As far as I know, IntelCPUMonitor.kext need to monitor CPU temperature and no more. Or am I mistaken?

You are very right! There is NO influence in SpeedStep at all. Because Monitor = monitor (and NO more), like all other plugins of FakeSMC, which function is monitoring the hardware in many aspects.

You are very right! There is NO influence in SpeedStep at all. Because Monitor = monitor (and NO more), like all other plugins of FakeSMC, which function is monitoring the hardware in many aspects.

I don't want to debate anyone about this because I acknowledge my lack of knowledge in this area but can anyone explain why I suddenly saw an improvement in speedstepping (i.e. reading of my laptop's P-States) as a result of what I did? I'd be curious to know what made my laptop work so much better?

I don't want to debate anyone about this because I acknowledge my lack of knowledge in this area but can anyone explain why I suddenly saw an improvement in speedstepping (i.e. reading of my laptop's P-States) as a result of what I did? I'd be curious to know what made my laptop work so much better?

If you think "your case" has some relationship within plugins area... and you want explanations about it... Why don't you ask in the specific topics of FakeSMC (in projectosx)?

Maybe is just a Placebo Effect?

What about Geekbench results comparison after you did?

The profile change can be a probable fast answer about SpeedStep improvement, because MacBook5,2 Info.plist has different information:

- NO C-State Override.

- One IDLE CPU entry (not present even in MB5,1 plist).

- GPU ID range control for Nvidia graphics (MB5,1 and 5,2 has the 9400M).

- NO memory IOHWControl, Control Loop and Throttle Dict (nothing will appear in ioreg).

Furthermore, I have tested yesterday by myself (MB5,1 and 5,2 profiles). In my experience I can say has NOT to much effect anyway to solve freezes and KPs, because X3100 hardware sensor always appear as Registered (true) and attached to FrameBuffers (FB.kext) in ioregistryexplorer. So, it can't be override from the profile.

And, another thing, as you can see in the Info.plist, SP1 in MB5,2 is exactly the same as MB3,1 and 4,1 for Merom and Penryn CPUs... Therefore, I see NO impact in PerformanceStateArray (P-States), which was keeping intact all the time.

Good Luck.

juanerson, thank you for your help. The last few days I tested Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook32_107.kext. i tested in different variations: with a hack for x3100 in DSDT, with FB.kext (1.5.18), with different methods of plant speedstep (DSDT and Chameleon). In all cases, I kept getting the screen freezing.

3100FB from 10.5.8 i could not be tested, because after the system startup, before the advent of the desktop, it caused a shutdown or reboot the system (depending on where, in the devise (gfx0), where I have substituted a hack). if I substituted a hack at the beginning of the device, then reboot. If I substituted in the end, then turn off.

NO problems with Sleep (lid close sleep is not working due to Lion ACPI specification incompatibility) but from menu and power button NO problems, and it wake up perfectly.

About freezes still happen when using flash player, but the Kernel Panic is gone with X3100FB.kext from Leopard 10.5.8 (+ DSDT hack).

All your problems should coming from the DSDT.

I can't to work with that DSDT. Can you upload your factory DSDT from windows (extracted with AIDA64) or Linux? I need a non-dirty DSDT, and a copy of your .ioreg.

This is my DSL's + sys info from ubuntu and ioreg from clean lion 10.7.2 with clean dsdt (from ubuntu).

kexts in system: 3100fb 1.5.18; fakesmc 3.1.0; ps\2 (not voodoo); patched AppleRTC; IntelCPUmonitor 1.0; VoodooMonitor 1.1.1. Speedstep working in this case with Chameleon.

Archive.zip

Thanks)

@juanerson,/others

Hi, I have been able to install Lion !0.7.2 on a laptop with the following specifications.

Lenovo 3000 G 41o

Intel celeron processor 550MHZ

Intel 965 Express chipset(GMA X3100)

2GB ram

Broadcom 4311 wireless.

Everything works except for the fact that I dont have ci/qe working ,hence no hardware acceration and so I cant play any videos.

I boot x64 bit and get a normal resolution of 1200x800 with the graphics mode enabled in chameleon but no qe/ci.

Now proper resolution and graphics with x3100 requires x32 bit boot,but when I boot with a i386 flag,either there is a blue screen or screen has 4 divided desktops opened on the screen .

Can you please take a look into my dsdt and apply fix for me to get graphics fully working,i have also attached my dsdt that I have fixed for x3100 for you to see if I have done it correctly(it compiles correctly for me).

I use the nawcon kernel to make the celeron work in lion.

Attached

1.raw untouched dsdt

2.my self fixed dsdt

3.ioreg output

Please take a look,

Thanks in advance.

macq, latest drivers X3100 for 64 bits were in 10,6,2, for this reason in 10.7 is no acceleration on X64. Definitely look for startup options to i386. It is likely that you can help a simple substitution 3100FB + Natit, they laid out earlier in this topic. it helped me with a blue screen. Subsequently natit.kext can be replaced by a patch in dsdt.

In general, here we discuss the problem of freezing the screen in a lion :wink2:

m

macq, latest drivers X3100 for 64 bits were in 10,6,2, for this reason in 10.7 is no acceleration on X64. Definitely look for startup options to i386. It is likely that you can help a simple substitution 3100FB + Natit, they laid out earlier in this topic. it helped me with a blue screen. Subsequently natit.kext can be replaced by a patch in dsdt.

In general, here we discuss the problem of freezing the screen in a lion :wink2:

I do apologize for being off topic here,but you see this seems to be the only place x3100 is still being discussed,

I was just hoping that someone would tell me if my self fixed dsdt is ok or not.

If you can guide me to get rid of the blue screen via personal messenger if you find it approriate I'll be obliged.

My sincere apologies for being off topc..

Thank You.

ok ,can boot into x32 bit and ci/qe seems to be working(have a trasluscent menu bar),but still videos dont play?!! :wallbash:

How's that possible? On forwarding the frames freeze!!! That's the mediaplayer,the system itself works fine.

Guess my problem is now what is originally being discussed here .

Alex Nik, try this dsdt.aml from /Extra

1) For NATIVE SpeedStep use the Legacy injector MacBook3,2. You don't need VoodooMonitor (or voodoopower) at all, delete it.

2) Install X3100FB.kext from 10.5.8 (1.5.36.25). No needed Natit.kext because now your DSDT has hack code for graphics.

3) Add this to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist (your machine need to be detected as NOTEBOOK = type 2 in Mac OS X):

<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>

4) Repair permissions and blablabla... restart. Good Luck.

Note: Please upload a new .ioreg to see the changes.

DSDT test1.zip

Alex Nik, try this dsdt.aml from /Extra

1) For NATIVE SpeedStep use the Legacy injector MacBook3,2. You don't need VoodooMonitor (or voodoopower) at all, delete it.

2) Install X3100FB.kext from 10.5.8 (1.5.36.25). No needed Natit.kext because now your DSDT has hack code for graphics.

3) Add this to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist (your machine need to be detected as NOTEBOOK = type 2 in Mac OS X):

<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>

4) Repair permissions and blablabla... restart. Good Luck.

Note: Please upload a new .ioreg to see the changes.

Hi!

Report:

With FB kext from 10.5.8 (1.5.36.25) - Now blue screen and system does not work in the background.

With FB kext 1.5.18 (which previously always loaded with no problems) - Now is also a blue screen, but the system works in the background, it is possible to use Applescript to get ioreg

The system starts with only Kext from 10.6.7 (I have no other), but continues freeze

arc Alex_nik.zip

Ok. The hack code injection for graphics is working. And the SpeedStep injector is loaded. Then:

1) I did NOT said "the freeze is solved" at all.

2) I did NOT wrote "system-type". So, use the proper o.c.B.p attached into the .zip.

3) Your SSDT tables (for processor-firmware support) are NOT recognized by Lion, therefore NO SpeeStep (P-States and C-States) at moment. The cause: Bad BIOS or incompatible ACPI code. In case, MAYBE GenerateP-States and GenerateC-States Flags (both = Yes) should solve this problem, maybe NOT. So, use the same o.c.B.p attached.

4) New dsdt.aml test 2.

5) Please upload new ioreg to see the changes.

Test2 Alex_nik.zip

i installed fresh Lion 10.7.2 with 3100FB 1.5.36, and on first start system my screen work good. But i have ext monitor and i (as usual) activated him as general and then changed resolution from 1024*1280 to native 1680*1050. Then i created first ioreg.

On first start system (load without kernelCache), Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook32_107.kext (as see in ioreg) not loaded, and i restarted system. After restart i see blue screen. If resolution to return back, the blue screen remains.

Then I installed FB 1.6.26 and the system has booted correctly, I created a second ioreg.

Arc_Alex_nik2.zip

I don't know what are you talking about, those things you said about cache (YOU NEED UseKernelCache=YES) and the legacy SpeedStep injector worked in your previous ioreg. So, I think definitely you are doing something wrong, or you have a NEW but corrupt operating system, or wherever you do to install .kexts, repair permissions and rebuilt cache process. Because that file should works in your case too (as for me, and many other people) because NOW you have P-States and C-States, I mean two new SSDT tables has been added by Chameleon flags. Please, see all in your own ioreg.

Edited: As you can see, in the second ioreg you have FULL SpeedStep support and working by the Legacy injector:

Captura de pantalla 2012-02-01 a la(s) 17.30.42.png

In general, the second ioreg looks much better, EDID is registered and all graphics patches working.

About Graphics with X3100FB.kext from 10.5.8 (first ioreg):

Maybe you have problems with your EDID (maybe random happen). I see is NOT loading at all in the INTERNAL display (first display0). Search about "display EDID override" thread by CharredPC in the forum (information in my signature too).

Sorry, I can`t do more for you. Last to comment, I have Extended display always working PERFECT, and obviously NOT mirror, as we know than ever worked for us (any X3100 user), never. Good Luck.