[Problem] GMA X3100 Random Graphic Freeze, Mouse Cursor Still Works

niotech

180 posts in this topic

My CPU Intel core2 Duo (T750 - 2.2 GHz)

Graphic: GMA X3100 (2a02) - Rev 03.

System:

I'm with Lion 10.7.0, using latest Chamelon Bootloader (Chameleon-2.1svn-r1518), have dsdt.aml at / (root),

FakeSMC 3.1.0, all original X3100 kext

Problems:

Yes I can still hear sound (iTunes playing) when the graphic is freeze (mouse cursor still function).

SSH to the machine still works perfectly...

And most of it not error log that related to this graphic stuff...

Usually it's happen when I'm using application or the Mac OS X function that have the require of using the

graphic function. Such as Photoshop, Playing Games, and some random events with the OS it self.

Right now on Lion, I was trying to make it more stable by avoiding any extensive use of graph function,

like using tools to turn off any animation (TinkerTool app / Cocktail app will do), turning off the window shadow (ShadowKiller app - I have this run on as Login item).

I have this random graphic related freeze since Leopard (10.5.*), then Snow Leopard (10.6.*) (more stable though, less often to freeze) and now with Lion (10.7.0 - the update for 10.7.1 didn't issue any graphic function update)...

This is irritating bug with the graphics

So, do you (or anyone) happen to know a solution of this (random freeze) until now?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem, tried a lot of options, but to no avail. At the moment, all I could achieve, so it works fine in 10.5.6. with 3100FB ver 1.5.18

But I really want a lion

in Windows graphics working Fine too

CPU Core2Duo t7250

x3100 0x2a02 3rev

Let's find a solution together. I'm very tired of this..

I read in forum that the FB from Snow could fix (workaround) the problem.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...10&st=1060#

I tried this on my Dell Inspiron 1720 (GMA 965/x3100) and could not get the video to load. I then tried to take the Unix Executable file from MacOS in contents for AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from SL and replace the same file in the Lion kext of the same name. So far, that has worked pretty well. No crashes yet and I have run several videos and used other graphics programs. This may have solved the problem for me.

I tried this on my Dell Inspiron 1720 (GMA 965/x3100) and could not get the video to load. I then tried to take the Unix Executable file from MacOS in contents for AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from SL and replace the same file in the Lion kext of the same name. So far, that has worked pretty well. No crashes yet and I have run several videos and used other graphics programs. This may have solved the problem for me.

laid out here please your kext, we also test it. Perhaps it will be a solution for everyone else.

That's just I do not quite understand: Replacing FB kext of Snow has to decide only the issue of jerking the mouse. The problem with the freezing of the screen remains.

You have decided to both problems?

laid out here please your kext, we also test it. Perhaps it will be a solution for everyone else.

That's just I do not quite understand: Replacing FB kext of Snow has to decide only the issue of jerking the mouse. The problem with the freezing of the screen remains.

You have decided to both problems?

I have not had any crash in about 24 hours but I haven't used my laptop enough to say for sure that it is a good working fix. If anyone else wants to try it, I have uploaded it here. They can report whether it works for them.

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.zip

The technique used by replacing AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (or the Binary inside Contents/)

it does make the Freezing less to occur, but still not fixing the issue :rolleyes:

I have already tried replacing with SL AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (from 10.6.5 to 10.6.8, currently AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from 10.6.8 seems to make it more stable -less freeze to occur than other 10.6.x AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext)

It seem like this issue also happened with "Intel HD 3000" users

Any other technique used for this issue?

In my experience, freezing occurs when accessing AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle. If you remove it, the problem will be solved, but in this case disappears QE.

Programs access to it from time to time and at this point and just freeze.

seems the problem must be sought in the Intel i965 OpenGL Driver

In my experience, freezing occurs when accessing AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle. If you remove it, the problem will be solved, but in this case disappears QE.

Programs access to it from time to time and at this point and just freeze.

Thx,

I'll try your method (even w/o QE).. since mostly I'm doing web programming with Mac.

Thx,

I'll try your method (even w/o QE).. since mostly I'm doing web programming with Mac.

Your method is the most stable that I have found so far. But without QE I can't play videos

or play any games ( sometimes I did :D ), but I can always switch/restore the GL diver to have

those function back.

Nice found, thanks

It seems that I've found a solution for the freeze. I removed all of GPU-releated things from the IOPlatformFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/MacBook3_1.plist. (I use MacBook3,1 in smbios.plist) And I've had no issues since last Saturday.

Hi Sanya,

How stable is your method so far? I've tried to use your method but I keep having the freeze in random.

Can you modify the [iOPlatformFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/MacBook5_1.plist] for me?

Thanks.

Yeah, i haven't experienced freeze since the mod. Here is the file: (I don't tested, so I don't know if it's works)

Thank you Sanya, I have applied you mod, currently it running smooth, I've test it by running movies, playing games, photoshop... it's pretty stable. I'll let you know after I test it for more than 48 hrs ahead.

Thanks for your finding :(

@Sanya: Unfortunately I still have the issue by applying MacBook5_1 , so I come back with removing the GL bundle kext.

Maybe I'll try your MacBook3_1 by switching my smbios definition.

Thanks for your help.

@Sanya: BTW what is your Lion installation configuration like? dsdt / additional kext / hacked kext / etc...

Sanya's solution worked for me too. However, I use the smbios.plist for the MacBook Pro 2,1, which works best for my Dell Inspiron 1720. When I deleted ALL references to GPU, it broke sleep. I played with it for a while and found that if I just deleted certain entries for the GPU, I got the benefit of Sanya's fix without adverse effects. (Well, I still have one -- when Coolbook starts up, it says that it cannot open Path 8, whatever that means.) Here's my edited plist for the MBP2,1.

MacBookPro2_1.plist.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i think i have found a solution about this issue. I have tested what you mentioned before, but it still exits. In my case, i just roll back the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext from 10.6.7 not 10.6.8,also no need to delete GPU entry from MacBook_3,1.plist or other, cause that can have issue on safari browsing (I mean by deleting GPU entry can't get smooth browse.). By now there is no more freeze and mouse jump.

Here is the two kexts:

EDIT:

After some days tests, it still exits. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, i think i have found a solution about this issue. I have tested what you mentioned before, but it still exits. In my case, i just roll back the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext from 10.6.7 not 10.6.8,also no need to delete GPU entry from MacBook_3,1.plist or other, cause that can have issue on safari browsing (I mean by deleting GPU entry can't get smooth browse.). By now there is no more freeze and mouse jump.

Here is the two kexts:

GOOD LUCK

No, it's not working. At least for me.. still freezes

Yes, I don't think that this issue can be considered [sOLVED]. It needs a fix that works for all x3100 systems all the time. Each proposed method helped reduce the number of incidents but they still recur for me.