How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" and OS X 10.7 "Lion" under VMware Workstation 8, Player and Fusion 4

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

cuiyunqi

cuiyunqi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Part of the problem is people are just running the install.cmd directly. I did say to open a command prompt (cmd.exe) first with admin privileges. However I will change the code to run by clicking on it.

absolutely you did great job

and i check everyword you says

run in “cmd”as ”admin“。。。

i open the "install.cmd" check the lines can't tell whats wrong...

i guess because im not english system?

pmfcmmak

pmfcmmak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I ran install.cmd in a elevated command line and after completing with no errors I ended up with the following files:
VMware	  Backup 
vmwarebase.dll			   4.298 KB	4.298 KB
vmware-vmx.exe			  16.078 KB   14.736 KB
vmware-vmx-debug.exe		18.702 KB   18.702 KB
vmware-vmx-stats.exe		17.239 KB   17.239 KB
x64/vmware-vmx.exe		  16.078 KB   16.078 KB
x64/vmware-vmx-debug.exe	20.307 KB   20.307 KB
x64/vmware-vmx-stats.exe	18.605 KB   18.605 KB

fciv -md5 -r "VMware Workstation"
28d0c2e389198e694a6c3a8fea4a3089 vmware workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe
bfd605acdfde6afe1af1f85288175123 vmware workstation\vmware-vmx-stats.exe
e51a6cb763538ce59ddfe3bdbf285b2d vmware workstation\vmware-vmx.exe
c4a64b55212e51582fc8e80b39c04d4d vmware workstation\vmwarebase.dll
1e131e01f7f4fb71f27db2df22a2dcf4 vmware workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe
e81e4a2a3293d2294dd8422e1d07363a vmware workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe
9bd2b5c5463a98226190dd80c0057a54 vmware workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe

fciv -md5 -r backup
47417606f94ebc9cb97710753f3c5a24 backup\vmware-vmx-debug.exe
6bb89997e5c57fcedd5e5b44caf5f3c6 backup\vmware-vmx-stats.exe
be72b605b23e415ba0690bf1f94dcd3c backup\vmware-vmx.exe
bd624c7e5420affa169daaea42d21cce backup\vmwarebase.dll
4c69c56de2e41e2eda505e19ed9c4ada backup\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe
2dabcaa317b8881f4bdfb0413a14d4c2 backup\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe
208b36a90152967d5bfb1c27e3caa335 backup\x64\vmware-vmx.exe

According to the hashes all the files have been obviously patched (and I could select the "OS X 10.7" option).

As said I'm stuck right at the gray screen with the apple logo with moderate CDROM and HD activity which drops to occasional activity fast.
Using an unpatched version of VMware Workstation and a preconfigured VMX it went through the gray screen but stuck at the following spinning rainbow screen.

VMX and log beeing attached to this post.

Attached Files

pmfcmmak

pmfcmmak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Is there any way to track down the problem (boot loader log file or something like that)?

Can some please post a working VMX file, preferably with virtualHW.version = "8" and guestOS = "darwin11-64"?

In addition, can someone please verify these hashes?
fciv -md5 InstallESD.dmg
b5d3753c62bfb69866e94dca9336a44a installesd.dmg

fciv -md5 InstallESD.dmg (InstallESD.dmg/InstallMacOSX.pkg/InstallESD.dmg)
4c2bda281dd39b562e478dc94895b9be installesd.dmg

fciv -md5 InstallESD.img (dmg2img InstallESD.dmg InstallESD.img)
20a43e3d614c638928d663070c47b7aa installesd.img

fciv -md5 InstallESD.iso (UltraISO InstallESD.dmg -> InstallESD.iso)
9d673c53b800d3df9154e0d83f7784bf installesd.iso

Any further thoughts on the problem?

trentfox

trentfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
VMware Fusion was just updated to 4.0.2. Updating breaks the unlocker, and Snow Leopard guest will not run, but re-applying the unlocker fixes the problem.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 464 posts

Any further thoughts on the problem?

Your VMX file is fine and guest is running. It's something in the boot process. Try booting with kernel flags "npci=0x2000 -v". To do this, start the VM into the firmware. Then search for boot.efi. After you find it, create a boot entry for it and list those flags as the load options. Either that or start the EFI shell, and on the command-line type the path to boot.efi, and then those boot options.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

VMware Fusion was just updated to 4.0.2. Updating breaks the unlocker, and Snow Leopard guest will not run, but re-applying the unlocker fixes the problem.

Yep anytime you update VMware you will need to re-apply patches as the files get overwritten.

pmfcmmak

pmfcmmak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Your VMX file is fine and guest is running. It's something in the boot process. Try booting with kernel flags "npci=0x2000 -v". To do this, start the VM into the firmware. Then search for boot.efi. After you find it, create a boot entry for it and list those flags as the load options. Either that or start the EFI shell, and on the command-line type the path to boot.efi, and then those boot options.

Thanks for your suggestion. It looks like adding npci=0x2000 did the trick!

I just wonder why some people obviously do not need it and others do need it ...

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Yep anytime you update VMware you will need to re-apply patches as the files get overwritten.

When you update VMware Workstation, Player or Fusion, you are actually doing a complete uninstall followed by a new install, so the Unlocker changes will be lost, so need to be re-applied, as Donk has mentioned.

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Does anyone know a way of getting this to work on an amd machine? Works fine on my intel boxes but I need to get it working on my amd opteron 1352 quad core.

As soon as I try and boot SL or Lion media I get the cpu shutdown error and cannot get past this to boot at all.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Does anyone know a way of getting this to work on an amd machine? Works fine on my intel boxes but I need to get it working on my amd opteron 1352 quad core.

As soon as I try and boot SL or Lion media I get the cpu shutdown error and cannot get past this to boot at all.

Sp0oner,

In a word no, not without introducing an alternative kernel or loader, as Apple only support Intel CPU's, so no code present in the vanilla kernel to support AMD processors. Have a look for an AMD kernel or loader package which will bridge between the AMD CPU and the vanilla kernel.

I will have a dig and see if I can provide any links.

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Sp0oner,

In a word no, not without introducing an alternative kernel or loader, as Apple only support Intel CPU's, so no code present in the vanilla kernel to support AMD processors. Have a look for an AMD kernel or loader package which will bridge between the AMD CPU and the vanilla kernel.

I will have a dig and see if I can provide any links.

Cheers, i've tried some supposed working solutions on the web and they simply don't work. This is the latest one I tried:

http://asendure.word...-server-amd-64/

I don't know how they think the media boots in the first place to even get to the installer as like you say amd won't work.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Cheers, i've tried some supposed working solutions on the web and they simply don't work. This is the latest one I tried:

http://asendure.word...-server-amd-64/

I don't know how they think the media boots in the first place to even get to the installer as like you say amd won't work.

Sp0oner,
One of the guy's I work with has got this up and running, I have asked for the detail of the loader he used, will probably be Monday before I can get you the information and links, hope that is OK.

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Sp0oner,
One of the guy's I work with has got this up and running, I have asked for the detail of the loader he used, will probably be Monday before I can get you the information and links, hope that is OK.

Cheers MSOK much appreciated.

Geemoe

Geemoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. I'm a complete noobie at both the Mac and virtualization. I apologize in advance for the extremely basic nature of my questions.

I have VMware Workstation 8 and the unlocker installed on my Win7 Pro 64 system and that seems to all work fine. Additionally, I enabled virtualization of the i7 processor in the BIOS.

So I guess I'm ready to install the latest Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.3).

After looking at the apple site it appears the only Snow Leopard they sell is an upgrade for $29. However, Amazon has what I guess is a "full version" for $69.

Here are my questions:

Am I correct in assuming I need more than the upgrade version of Snow Leopard?

Does Apple not sell a "full version" of Snow Leopard?

Is the $69 version of Snow Leopard on Amazon what I need?

If not, what OS package do I need and where can I get it?

Thank you for your help.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Hi. I'm a complete noobie at both the Mac and virtualization. I apologize in advance for the extremely basic nature of my questions.

I have VMware Workstation 8 and the unlocker installed on my Win7 Pro 64 system and that seems to all work fine. Additionally, I enabled virtualization of the i7 processor in the BIOS.

So I guess I'm ready to install the latest Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.3).

After looking at the apple site it appears the only Snow Leopard they sell is an upgrade for $29. However, Amazon has what I guess is a "full version" for $69.

Here are my questions:

Am I correct in assuming I need more than the upgrade version of Snow Leopard?

Does Apple not sell a "full version" of Snow Leopard?

Is the $69 version of Snow Leopard on Amazon what I need?

If not, what OS package do I need and where can I get it?

Thank you for your help.

Geemoe,

First of all welcome to InsanelyMac, we are here to help you get OS X running on your Windows or Linux PC under VMware.

The $29 upgrade for "Snow" on the Apple site is what we call the "Retail DVD" and it is fine, in fact it is the recommended version, you can spend the extra on the Family pack, but it is not required. (P.S. I am sure Amazon is fine, but for Apple OS software I always buy it direct from Apple, just to be sure, saves a lot of pain down the line). While it states it is an upgrade it will do a full install under VMware.

If you have the Unlocker from either Donk or Zenith432 running then have a look at the following link to my "How To" for Snow Leopard, as you will need the CPUID mask to get OSX 10.6 "Snow" to install on your Core i7 based machine:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1622074

Good luck, plenty of help available if you get stuck, we have all been where you are now, honest, MSoK! (LoL)

Cheers MSOK much appreciated.

Sp0oner,

Not forgotten about the loader for you, just not had chance to get it sorted, will update ASAP.

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Sp0oner,

Not forgotten about the loader for you, just not had chance to get it sorted, will update ASAP.

Cheers. I've tried with ##### but immediately I switch to the osx dvd the same error of cpu shutdown appears. There must be a very specific way of doing this for it to work.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Cheers. I've tried with ##### but immediately I switch to the osx dvd the same error of cpu shutdown appears. There must be a very specific way of doing this for it to work.

You will need a legacy or AMD kernel as well.

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

You will need a legacy or AMD kernel as well.

Cheers Donk, do you have any suggestions on what to use for that?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Cheers Donk, do you have any suggestions on what to use for that?

Don't really as not something I have ever done. Look for AndyV on the forums here as I think he has some kernels he built for AMD.

On another note I have had an idea about masking out all the CPUID info and trying to pass AMD off as Intel, but at present not sure if it possible. Someone would need to help me out (no access to AMD box) and also find if there is a suitable level of commonality between and Intel and AMD CPU.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 464 posts

On another note I have had an idea about masking out all the CPUID info and trying to pass AMD off as Intel, but at present not sure if it possible. Someone would need to help me out (no access to AMD box) and also find if there is a suitable level of commonality between and Intel and AMD CPU.

I seriously doubt it. For instance, compare the code Apple uses in tsc_init() to determine cpu-frequency/bus-ratio to the code in Chameleon cpu.c/scan_cpu(). There's a bunch of AMD-specific code in there. More generally, there are differences in MSRs between the two CPU lines that make life difficult. That's what the guys that make AMD kernels have to deal with to adapt the kernel.
There were some older incompatibilities, like missing SSE3, but I think that one is gone now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy