[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

Has anyone found a way to disable sleep on lid close? I've tried some of the solutions out there like InsomniaX but it doesn't seem to work on a Hackintosh probably due to kext conflicts. Any ideas?

Also, has anyone else noticed that Fn + F4 works (puts the computer to sleep)? Could this help us get the Fn keys working?

Hi,

I created a ssdt.aml for T420 with core i5 2520M CPU.

With it, it uses a lot more states than x8 and x30.

If you have same CPU, copy ssdt.aml into /Extra folder

credits to revogirl for the script

Hi-

Do you need the entry below to use your ssdt.aml file?

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Thanks,

Antonio

FWIW, I updated the extra and kext pack in post #238 for 10.8.3.

updated 04-11-2013

highlights:

updated DSDT.aml

per manwe150 - added (back) the fan/temp monitor stuff that was previously causing a KP - fan/temps show up in HWMonitor.app

changed device VID to IGPU and stay with vanilla AGPM kext.

updated the FakeSMC and HWMonitor.app

per verleihnix - added AGPM and SSDT.aml for graphics power and SpeedStepping.

added IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector to get DVD and eject to work as native.

@jerrywilborn - nope could never get the built in to work - I got a usb reader that works great.

• Like 1

@verleihnix

I liked your idea of vanilla kext .... so after a bit more messing around....

I decided to change my device name VID to IGPU in the dsdt.aml. Now it can use vanilla kexts and does not need AGPM injector either!

I reposted the bundle in post 238 with modified DSDT (and dropped AGPM stuff).

Note: using IORegistryExplorer and searching for AGPM shows it there as well with "kextstat|grep G" shows AGPM is running.

• Like 1

FWIW, I updated the extra and kext pack in post #238 for 10.8.3.

updated 04-11-2013

highlights:

updated DSDT.aml

per manwe150 - added (back) the fan/temp monitor stuff that was previously causing a KP - fan/temps show up in HWMonitor.app

changed device VID to IGPU and stay with vanilla AGPM kext.

updated the FakeSMC and HWMonitor.app

per verleihnix - added AGPM and SSDT.aml for graphics power and SpeedStepping.

added IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector to get DVD and eject to work as native.

@jerrywilborn - nope could never get the built in to work - I got a usb reader that works great.

Thank you guys, I upgraded to 10.8.3 following post 238 without issues so far.

Just wanted to share with you guys that I bought a 128 GB SSD Crucial M4 (96€) and it's great. Fits the HD slot without any need of adapters. It boots in around 10 seconds, opens apps flying, took a couple of minutes to upgrade to 10.8.3, ... If you try it, there is no way to go back to just HD.

I also bought an hd caddy for the DVD bay, and I have my HD for all data plus the 128GB for the OS, etc. I even have my windows VM on the SSD, and that flies too..

The only thing remaining for this laptop to run OS X perfect is the video hangs... Hope some of you smart guys can figure something out...

Thanks again,

AJ

Apple doesn't have our bluetooth device in it's database, so it falls back to a (very good) default. By changing the ioProduct in the following file, we can activate the bluetooth on/off GUI options

vendor: 0xa5c

product: 0x217f

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents

```

--- Info.plist.bkup 2013-04-15 17:59:46.000000000 -0400

+++ Info.plist 2013-04-15 18:00:30.000000000 -0400

@@ -515,21 +515,21 @@

</dict>

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - Targus</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>idProduct</key>

- <integer>8532</integer>

+ <integer>8575</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>2652</integer>

</dict>

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController_Dongle</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

```

Has anyone found a way to disable sleep on lid close? I've tried some of the solutions out there like InsomniaX but it doesn't seem to work on a Hackintosh probably due to kext conflicts. Any ideas?

Also, has anyone else noticed that Fn + F4 works (puts the computer to sleep)? Could this help us get the Fn keys working?

You can find these items in the DSDT file. For example, _LID reads and notifies the OS of the state of the lid. I believe the SLPB is the sleep button function. _Q14 and _Q15 appear to Fn-PgUp and Fn-PgDn. _Q19 is the blue thinkpad button. There's even a _WAK function that appears to be responsible for the task of actually sleeping and waking the computer, and any other tasks you may want to interject there. However, I'm not sure how to put most of this information to use.

• Like 2

Apple doesn't have our bluetooth device in it's database, so it falls back to a (very good) default. By changing the ioProduct in the following file, we can activate the bluetooth on/off GUI options

vendor: 0xa5c

product: 0x217f

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents

```

--- Info.plist.bkup 2013-04-15 17:59:46.000000000 -0400

+++ Info.plist 2013-04-15 18:00:30.000000000 -0400

@@ -515,21 +515,21 @@

</dict>

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - Targus</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>idProduct</key>

- <integer>8532</integer>

+ <integer>8575</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>2652</integer>

</dict>

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController_Dongle</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

```

You can find these items in the DSDT file. For example, _LID reads and notifies the OS of the state of the lid. I believe the SLPB is the sleep button function. _Q14 and _Q15 appear to Fn-PgUp and Fn-PgDn. _Q19 is the blue thinkpad button. There's even a _WAK function that appears to be responsible for the task of actually sleeping and waking the computer, and any other tasks you may want to interject there. However, I'm not sure how to put most of this information to use.

Very nice Manwe, now I can turn on/off bluetooh. Thanks a lot!!

Hi,

first of all: Thanks for that great work and the hacks for t420.

My systems runs nearly perfect. Only one thing makes me worry: The Battery.

In the Log appears very often this Message:

23.04.13 08:00:50,418 powerd[17]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�W����t���???".

23.04.13 08:00:50,418 powerd[17]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�W����t���???".

23.04.13 08:00:50,418 powerd[17]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "�|����-�|����-�|����-�|�???".

23.04.13 08:01:20,425 powerd[17]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��".

23.04.13 08:01:20,425 powerd[17]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��".

23.04.13 08:01:20,426 powerd[17]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "��".

Unfortunately my System crashes - mostly on running the TimeMachine - if the Battery is pluged in. If I unplug the Battery it's all ok, works fine and no messages in the Log.

Is there a possibility how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Synymy

This thread has been incredibly useful in helping me turn my T420 into an almost perfect Hackintosh - thanks esp. to tluck (though lots of other contributions were also invaluable).

I'm just left with one issue that some others have reported but no-one has mentioned a fix.

If I put the laptop to sleep, sometimes (generally if it's been on for 10 minutes or more) it crashes, with the power LED blinking at a reasonable speed instead of doing it's usual slow fading in and out. if I put it to sleep soon after a reboot generally it sleeps fine. When it crashes the screen turns off, the fans stay on and it becomes completely unresponsive, it takes a very long press on the power button to force it off so I can reboot it.

I've tried different versions of almost every kext to no avail, and tried unplugging every device including the Ultrabay. Unfortunately there's no clue in the console log.

Any suggestions?

(btw one tip from this thread that was really useful was following the tip to use SwitchRes, it completely resolved the ring buffer stalls for me)

@mark9white - you are welcome. i learn alot from everyone here! i may revisit the switchresx approach for LCD glitches.

sleep: as for your sleep issue...here is what i know...

use dsdt.aml with fixes for EHCI (put in /EFI/ACPI/patched)

remove NullCPUPM - make sure you have Pstates 8x-30x

install patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

install roll back AppleACPIPlatform.kext v1.3.5

also i use pmset hibernate mode 0

Note: if you put all the kexts from post 238 from this thread... you should have it?! i saw this odd behavior when the default config.plist turns on AsusAICPUPM for clover. so i stayed away from that!