ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

I have been having nothing but headaches with this whole procedure. I have tried everything in this thread to no avail. I have used the unlocker provided in the beginning of this thread. I have tried USB, DVD, diff versions of OSX. I evan used an iAtkos DVD to see if I could boot with that...actuall the iAtkos DVD started to boot more that the others I have tried. I saw that there was a new unlocker provided so I uninstalled the old one, rebooted the ESXi box and transferred over the new version using Filezilla. (I am doing all of this with a MAC using Fusion 5 with Windows 7 to access the ESXi Box). i then tried to install the new version by typing ./install.sh and get a permission denied statement back

/vmfs/volumes/51225005-2f446dbc-3bbf-001c23c9e598/esxi # ./install.sh

-sh: ./install.sh: Permission denied

I am logged in as root using puTTY

One more obstacle...can anyone help? Please?

Thanks!

Oh yeah Im using a Dell 2950 II server and I checked that the CPU's will support VT

@ Donk - your install.sh unlock v1.11 is not working no more.

I get error: /vmfs/volumes/507649ef-e167b49a-f47b-001b21d2a3ab/unlock-all-v111/esxi # ./install.sh

-sh: ./install.sh: not found

Jeff Risdon has a different error.

Could you please fix it.

@ Jeff Risdon - Just use the version 1.10 instead. V1.11 is only a shell script update and does not affect the actual patching.

@ Donk - your install.sh unlock v1.11 is not working no more.

I get error: /vmfs/volumes/507649ef-e167b49a-f47b-001b21d2a3ab/unlock-all-v111/esxi # ./install.sh

-sh: ./install.sh: not found

Jeff Risdon has a different error.

Could you please fix it.

@ Jeff Risdon - Just use the version 1.10 instead. V1.11 is only a shell script update and does not affect the actual patching.

It was mistakenly saved on Windows and does not have Unix end of line characters. Just use 1.1.0. Sorry about that, happened when I was packaging it up.

Hi there,

I have been working with Mountain Lion on ESXi 5.1, but there are restrictions on that version as to what can be passed through using VT-d (say USB). I'm trying to install Mountain Lion on ESXi 5.0u2 (fresh install) but I instantly run into a (/) sign after the apple grey-screen boot sequence. I had no problems booting from this same NFS/dmg image for ESXi 5.1 and Mountain Lion. Do I need to convert the .dmg to .iso or is there something else that is causing the boot to break?

OK, I found an easy way to work-around this. I installed ML using ESXi5.1 which is quite quick and painless. Then I booted ESXi5.0u2 from another USB drive, imported the existing ML .vmx into the inventory, and it booted no problem.

Now I am going to try passing through the USB controllers which can be done in 5.0, but not 5.1 to see if I can get both my USB soundcard and accelerated graphics working at the same time.

sgreszcz, Do you know what extra parms in the vmx were set when installing on 5.1? I'm trying to run it on u2 as well due to vmware destroying USB passthrough.

To be honest, I have no idea. Yesterday I re-installed ML on ESXi5.1 as I wanted a clean start after playing around with several virtual sound drivers. I was going to try to boot ML on ESXi 5.0u2 using physical media today after reading further back in this thread. For a laugh I just tried to import the Mountain Lion 5.1 install .vmx into the ESXi5.0u2 inventory, and it booted.

It does something strange by turning the vSphere console screen all white when idle for a while, but it comes back when I move the cursor. Strange, I don't remember it doing this in ESXi 5.1.

I can attach the .vmx if you want to see it

Does anyone know how to get rid of this when you boot OSX in ESXi5.0? I don't see this in 5.1. Thanks!

You can't unless you use 1 vCPU.

I am assuming Donk removed version 1.1.1 due to a problem with the install script, please continue to use 1.1.0 in the meantime.

Yep - removed it. I will work on another version when I get time. The only change was to stop those who tried running the script in the root folder of ESXi.

I wanna upgrade to the Chaintech GA-Q77M-D2H. A Q77 chipset. I want this chipset because of the VT-D virtualisation possibilitys and the vPro and so.

I also want Dp/DVI/HDMI onboard output. So the only board is the chaintech GA-Q77M-D2H. I will use the I7 3770 processor. (not k!) and 16 gb ram, and 2 SSD (1 for hackintosh and for windows 8) and 2 tb seagate for data (both win/hackintosh)

- Can I use virtualisation tools like ESXi/XEN for a real hackintosh virtual VT-D setup? So let's say 1 for windows 8 with the HD 4000 card and 1 for the hackintosh setup with the radeon 6850 card. Both covering 3/3 monitor output? And 8 GB both?

- Can I use parallels extreme with VT-D to emulate windows 8 native (with pass-through radeon 6850)?

FIrst off, thanks for all your hard work and support on this!

I am still struggling with this but not giving up!

I loaded a vmware vmdk plus vmx, etc into the datastore and I right click on the vmx file and add to inventory but when I power up the virtual machine I gert the following:

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/512d3c94-09f9833c-c876-001c23c9e598/MLVMware/MountainLion.vmdk'

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7. Ensure that the disk has been imported.

seen this before a few times but have not been able to figure it out. Anyone know this one?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am trying all the suggestions here and still having problems. I put an iso onto my datastore and do an efi boot and I get the following

It just hangs there for what seems like forever

I have tried so many things to get this working....as usual any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

post-937940-0-82561200-1362030331_thumb.png

Well I think my 2950 II just doesn't like OSX Virtualization..just set up a DELL XPS 420 and boom...installation is happening as I type, quick and painless it seems.

Go figure....I would have thought that the Dell 2950 II would have worked as the processor is stated to have VT-x. Its a Dual Core Xeon 5050 3Ghz. Maybe a different Xeon? Say a an E5345 Quad Core or such? I dunno...

Still scratching my head over this one....maybe the Dell 2950 II hardware? Anyone have any thoughts on this.....

Thanks for all the support I get around here though...just glad its working on the Dell XPS 420....cpu is Q6600