SATA 6GB/s / SATA III - PCIe Card - Works in LION !

notshy

100 posts in this topic

I have only 2 PCIe slots and with both of them it's works as gen1.

My PC manual says

Gen2 x1 slot bi-directional speed — 500 MB/s

Gen2 x16 slot bi-directional speed — 16 GB/s

So I think the problem is of the card. It has an ASMEDIA AS1061 Chipset and it is the one I linked to you in and older post.

The gen 2 x16 is occupied by the graphic card

• 3 weeks later...

Exellent, my motherboard sucks!

Hi Toucanet. how did you install Mavericks without AHCI support on your motherboard?

The reason why I'm looking through this thread is because my motherboard also lacks AHCI support and I've been running OS X.6.2 for the past 10 months which is what i hear the last OSX that supports ATA drives (I've tried to update above 10.6.2 but failed even on 6.3 and 6.8.

I want to update to mavericks (or the maximum I can with my hardware)

I had the idea of using a sata 3 controller card for a long time to enable this mode so thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions and giving me an specific chipset to get.

I've heard of people getting Lion and ML to work on non AHCI supported mobos a couple of times but offer no comprehensible explanation or none at all how they achieved it. so if you could share with me what you did on your particular system I'd appreciate it very much.

for the record my system is

Mobo: Asrock N68C-S UCC

CPU: Phenom II X4 940 BE

RAM: 4gb ddr2 1066

GFX: XFX Radeon HD 4850

Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Is there a way to recover the card if it is "bricked" by a bad firmware flash? The post screen for the card is annoying and ugly to me, so I opened the firmware file with a hex editor and found the on screen text it shows during post, so I was just going to null out all that text with zeros so it would just give me a black screen. I realize there is a big possibility of me screwing something up by doing this though, so I would like to have a recovery method if possible. Also, is there a way to check if the card is detected with the dos bootable drive?

EDIT: Well that did the trick, I nulled out all the text, flashed it, and I no longer have the ugly post screen. Now if only there was a way to speed up the post time a little bit.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I too picked up one of the ASMedia 1061 cards. It must have been DOA but I did not realize that until later (after the point of no return). I experienced really slow performance and system freezing even on the Windows side. It is in the correct slot and I'm using 6Gbps SATA cables. Just got a bad card, I think.

So I'm looking for alternatives. The Syba card mentioned here looks good and is still available but I'm more curious about this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I do not hear about any Hackintosh people using them, however. Seems it should be compatible, but the Marvell 9128 chipset isn't getting favorable comments either.

Would love to hear from someone who has used one even in a real Mac Pro.

I too picked up one of the ASMedia 1061 cards. It must have been DOA but I did not realize that until later (after the point of no return). I experienced really slow performance and system freezing even on the Windows side. It is in the correct slot and I'm using 6Gbps SATA cables. Just got a bad card, I think.

So I'm looking for alternatives. The Syba card mentioned here looks good and is still available but I'm more curious about this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I do not hear about any Hackintosh people using them, however. Seems it should be compatible, but the Marvell 9128 chipset isn't getting favorable comments either.

Would love to hear from someone who has used one even in a real Mac Pro.

I have used one in a MacPro and hack not the fastest for SSDs but it works, spinning drives they get over 100MB/s in my experience in fact I have one in my z800 machine for just the SATAIII well that and the fact the BIOS will only see my 4TB drives as 2TB ones..

Edit: By one I mean 9128 Marvell based controller on the PCI-e card I have in it.

So perhaps not this same model, but you have a similar Marvell 9128-based PCIe card? Sorry to hear about the 2TB limit. Fortunately, I do not plan to put that much internal storage in my HP. If necessary, I can always go external for that....maybe even via USB 3.0...but that's another card I don't want to get just yet.  :)

May I ask what "hack" motherboard you used it in? I assume this board did not already have SATA III built-in. Do you happen to know if the ASMedia 1061 has a performance advantage over to the Marvell 9128? With the Marvell, can I at least expect to get 400MB/s or better if I'm using a good SSD and the card is in an x2 slot? Of course, the card boasts "up to 550MB/s" I know that is just marketing, but someone, somewhere could be getting that if they have a good system. That's why I was curious about how it works in a real Mac Pro.

Thanks.

I have used one in a MacPro and hack not the fastest for SSDs but it works, spinning drives they get over 100MB/s in my experience in fact I have one in my z800 machine for just the SATAIII well that and the fact the BIOS will only see my 4TB drives as 2TB ones..

Edit: By one I mean 9128 Marvell based controller on the PCI-e card I have in it.

So perhaps not this same model, but you have a similar Marvell 9128-based PCIe card? Sorry to hear about the 2TB limit. Fortunately, I do not plan to put that much internal storage in my HP. If necessary, I can always go external for that....maybe even via USB 3.0...but that's another card I don't want to get just yet.  :)

May I ask what "hack" motherboard you used it in? I assume this board did not already have SATA III built-in. Do you happen to know if the ASMedia 1061 has a performance advantage over to the Marvell 9128? With the Marvell, can I at least expect to get 400MB/s or better if I'm using a good SSD and the card is in an x2 slot? Of course, the card boasts "up to 550MB/s" I know that is just marketing, but someone, somewhere could be getting that if they have a good system. That's why I was curious about how it works in a real Mac Pro.

Thanks.

No clue on the asmedia never owned one of them. The hack and MacPro same performance on the 9128 card the machine it is in is the HP z800. Now I have two drive, two internal port sort of enclosure PCI-e I think based on the 9128 chipset at least I see Marvel 91XX when it initializes during boot in addition to the two port internal. That gets ~350-400MB/s write the full 550-600MB/s Raid0 120gb HyperX SSD in there, singles around 200 write 350-400 read. Now them smaller sized SSDs are limited on the speeds they have I would need at least 256gb ones to be able to tell you true speed you would get. I have Inatek kt4004 USB 3.0 coming based on the FL1100 chipset so can let you know how that goes but if my hackbookpro laptop is any indication it should go without problems as I have pcmia card based on same chipset it worked OOB. An aside Raid0 on an Intel chipset sucks not much better than single drive I have another 9128 card coming to put in my Desktop to get some better speeds.

So you have a dual drive card?

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Velocity-Upgrade-Array-VEL-DUO/dp/B00NTQGZH4/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1435521401&sr=1-19

If you're booting from one of these things in a Z800, that is encouraging enough for me since I have an HP Workstation also.

No clue on the asmedia never owned one of them. The hack and MacPro same performance on the 9128 card the machine it is in is the HP z800. Now I have two drive, two internal port sort of enclosure PCI-e I think based on the 9128 chipset at least I see Marvel 91XX when it initializes during boot in addition to the two port internal. That gets ~350-400MB/s write the full 550-600MB/s Raid0 120gb HyperX SSD in there, singles around 200 write 350-400 read. Now them smaller sized SSDs are limited on the speeds they have I would need at least 256gb ones to be able to tell you true speed you would get. I have Inatek kt4004 USB 3.0 coming based on the FL1100 chipset so can let you know how that goes but if my hackbookpro laptop is any indication it should go without problems as I have pcmia card based on same chipset it worked OOB. An aside Raid0 on an Intel chipset sucks not much better than single drive I have another 9128 card coming to put in my Desktop to get some better speeds.

So you have a dual drive card?

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Velocity-Upgrade-Array-VEL-DUO/dp/B00NTQGZH4/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1435521401&sr=1-19

If you're booting from one of these things in Z800, that is encouraging enough for me since I have an HP Workstation also.

Yes bootable but not looking like that when I said enclosure it is like that it has an enclosure two bay thing stacking the drives that is on one side so it ends up taking two slots so it lives in the second x16 slot blocking the PCI that I will never use on the back side two ports that are usable at the same time. In my MacPro it was in first slot covering the no slot that was there video in second slot. When you go into the BIOS after it goes through the detection phase it shows all drives I have connected to those cards as options to boot from. That card should work for you I would think so anyways most all these things have BIOS on them that initiates the cards for a RAID setup if you wanted that would not be usable in OSX you need to do software RAID there. Or you can run them as single drives getting the SATAIII speeds.

Edit: Now I think on about this the SAS controller is supported in OSX as I see the one drive I have hooked up on it show up under that in the settings for it so it could be possible to do hardware RAID on these boxes. Hmm food for thought to tinker or not to tinker that is the question...

I only intend to use drives in non-RAID for now and only a single SSD on the card at first. I may connect a rotational drive to the second SATA port if the SSD works out well.

So will the Marvell 9128 show up as "unknown RAID controller" in the System Report? That's okay as long as OS X truly has a driver for it. Did I mention I am using Mavericks 10.9.5?

Yes bootable but not looking like that when I said enclosure it is like that it has an enclosure two bay thing stacking the drives that is on one side so it ends up taking two slots so it lives in the second x16 slot blocking the PCI that I will never use on the back side two ports that are usable at the same time. In my MacPro it was in first slot covering the no slot that was there video in second slot. When you go into the BIOS after it goes through the detection phase it shows all drives I have connected to those cards as options to boot from. That card should work for you I would think so anyways most all these things have BIOS on them that initiates the cards for a RAID setup if you wanted that would not be usable in OSX you need to do software RAID there. Or you can run them as single drives getting the SATAIII speeds.

Edit: Now I think on about this the SAS controller is supported in OSX as I see the one drive I have hooked up on it show up under that in the settings for it so it could be possible to do hardware RAID on these boxes. Hmm food for thought to tinker or not to tinker that is the question...

I only intend to use drives in non-RAID for now and only a single SSD on the card at first. I may connect a rotational drive to the second SATA port if the SSD works out well.

So will the Marvell 9128 show up as "unknown RAID controller" in the System Report? That's okay as long as OS X truly has a driver for it. Did I mention I am using Mavericks 10.9.5?

So am I Mavericks 10.9.5 with the roll back .kext so it will boot although I had frustrating first week where it would boot 1 out 4-5 times without them since I discovered them never failed to boot unless I have done stupid change. Yes that is cosmetic though one of the AHCI port injectors I tried in that frustrating week had it showing up as Marvel 9128 so if you wanted to you could get one of them and put your pcid in there with the proper text and you will have it show up correctly named. And yes the driver is there in OSX I need nothing for it to boot from it, in a hack or a real Mac when it was there totally simple setup the RAID clone install to it then select as startup disk and boot from it.

Just my luck. My Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 arrived yesterday and was DOA. Not recognized in two different machines. Very sad. I immediately requested a return and new one is being shipped in parallel. At least Amazon has a quick return policy.

Has anyone got trimforce command in 10.10.4 to work with ASM1061? I used Chameleon SSD to enable trim prior to current version. I would like to hear how others who are on 10.10.4 with SATA 3 ASM1061 are implementing trim. Please share your experience.

My replacement Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 arrived today.

Sigh. Looks like my HP xw8600 is too similar to the MacPro 3,1 after all (The Product Description warns that the card does not work reliably in a MacPro 2008). I realize I do not actually have a MacPro 3,1 but it is a stange cooincidence.

The card appears to be recognized in the computer now. Drives show as attached to an "unknown SATA AHCI controller" in Mac OS X but the BIOS does not recognize any bootable devices when I first power up the machine (my System Report shows my boot drive attached to the built-in controller, but I did have it attached directly to the card before). I Tried reverting back to the "Separate IDE controller" setting and then tried disabling the built-in SATA BIOS entirely and still no go.

There is no splash screen that comes up for the x2 card's BIOS although I have seen it with the "Solo" (non x2) version of the card:

A shame to be sure. I will trying moving the card over to my Asus P5 computer from 2007 and see if it will boot from it. I am skeptical though.

I was able to arrange for an exchange of my faulty Asmedia ASM1061, so maybe I can get that to work once it shows up.

post-1542989-0-69081700-1436491881_thumb.png

Well funny thing happened. Since my card wasn't completely dead, I decided to contact Apricorn technical support. I specfically asked if there was a firmware update I could do and they responded back that the board may have shipped with an older firmware and that they would offer to flash it for me if I mailed the card back to them. I explained to them that I have been using computers a long time and that I would be comfortable doing the update myself if they could provide the rom and flash program. They did just that but warned me that they could not guarantee it would work.

It flashed just fine and now the card is recognized as having a bootable drive attached! BIOS sees it just fine. The read speeds are just where I would expect them to be but the write speeds are not as impressive. That probably has more to do with my SSD drive, though.

post-1542989-0-44165200-1436577698_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I never did a proper follow-up on this.

Unfortunately, this card ended up not working reliably. Write speeds on the SSD connector and the secondary connector were atrocious. I tried the card in another computer as well and received the same results.

Defective card? Perhaps, but I did not get a good feeling from tech support on this one so I returned it.

So far, things have been good with this ASM1061-based card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0A6ZS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

but it is only PCI Express 1x.