nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

Poll: Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (15 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (13 votes [22.03%])

Percentage of vote: 22.03%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (1 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (2 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (0 votes [0.00%])

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (6 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (1 votes [1.69%])

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (1 votes [1.69%])

13. Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems? (7 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

14. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK? (10 votes [16.95%])

Percentage of vote: 16.95%

Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

1. 100% on (17 votes [27.87%])

Percentage of vote: 27.87%

2. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (5 votes [8.20%])

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

3. Series 6 - 650i, 680i (9 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. 90% on (7 votes [11.48%])

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

5. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (5 votes [8.20%])

6. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (5 votes [8.20%])

7. 80% on (4 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

8. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (2 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

9. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (3 votes [4.92%])

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

10. 70% on (1 votes [1.64%])

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

11. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (0 votes [0.00%])

13. 60% on (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (1 votes [1.64%])

16. 50% on (1 votes [1.64%])

17. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (1 votes [1.64%])

18. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (0 votes [0.00%])

19. < 50% on (0 votes [0.00%])

20. Acceptably on 610i or 630i (0 votes [0.00%])

Is your Lion system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (33 votes [13.47%])

Percentage of vote: 13.47%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (6 votes [2.45%])

Percentage of vote: 2.45%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (8 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (9 votes [3.67%])

Percentage of vote: 3.67%

5. Video (25 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (26 votes [10.61%])

Percentage of vote: 10.61%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (28 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

8. Firewire (10 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (6 votes [2.45%])

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (14 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (4 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (5 votes [2.04%])

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (6 votes [2.45%])

14. PCI NIC (4 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

15. eSATA (3 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

16. Bluetooth (10 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

17. WiFi (11 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

18. Time Machine (8 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

19. Overclocking (12 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x (17 votes [6.94%])

Percentage of vote: 6.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Vinnymac

Vinnymac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Computer Creation and Destruction
I checked, and my DSDT is definitely being loaded. Why would LegacyHDA not work altogether? Where as ALC885 works fine. In abhilash's case both at least work in some way. LegacyHDA doesn't throw up any errors for me, but output/input are blank for me.

I think if my DSDT is being loaded it is less likely the problem, since our mobos are similar and I don't have any weird hardware. Regular intel cpu, 2GB of ram, I'm not throwing a wrench in the mix. So what could it be?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

I checked, and my DSDT is definitely being loaded. Why would LegacyHDA not work altogether? Where as ALC885 works fine. In abhilash's case both at least work in some way. LegacyHDA doesn't throw up any errors for me, but output/input are blank for me.

I think if my DSDT is being loaded it is less likely the problem, since our mobos are similar and I don't have any weird hardware. Regular intel cpu, 2GB of ram, I'm not throwing a wrench in the mix. So what could it be?

I am presuming that you have reset ownership and permissions for the kexts in /S/L/E/ including the AppleHDA.kext and for the kexts in /E/E/ including the LegacyHDA.kext for good measure even though Chameleon does not bother with kext ownership and permissions......I would then again repair permissions of the system folders and files using Disk Utility......

Note that abhilash reported that "no they are not same... LegacyHDA has BuiltinHDA addition and configdata is different", so the answer would seem to be the differences between the LegacyHDA and ALC885 kexts and the differences between the implementation of the ALC885 codec by your nVidia 680i LT SLI MOBO and abhilash's XFX nForce 680i LT SLI, given that you both use the same DSDT Device (HDEF) sections and the same AppleHDA.kext.......

I suggest that you try the general DSDT Device (HDEF) section by THE KiNG (see post #5), which he says should work with all codecs:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x04)
{
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

with both the LegacyHDA and ALC885 kexts but same AppleHDA.kext.......

Vinnymac

Vinnymac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Computer Creation and Destruction
Okay, so you guys are gonna laugh but I figured it out.

So I have fixed permissions before, and reset em on the specific files, but it never worked. And I did not know why. So I thought well why not go back and reread what they wrote. Nobody ever told me WHERE to put the LegacyHDA.kext file. So then I see verdant here say /E/E/ and I am like, hrmm why not test it out. I have never dealt with LegacyHDA before, so how would I know, I just thought it belonged with AppleHDA. Anyways, it worked!, after placing LegacyHDA in /E/E all of my problems are fixed. LegacyHDA works with both back and front panels, and is completely functional! Verdant you can now add abhilash's information to your guide, thank you abhilash, and I hope when you write the guide you mention specifically where to place the files because my stupid mistakes could as well be anothers ;)

The only problems I can see in my kernel.log are these three:
Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController might not load - kextd is currently unavailable.
Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2682 goto Exit
kxld[com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0xfeedfacf.
 Can't load kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub - link failed.
 Failed to load executable for kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub.
 Kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub failed to load (0xdc008016).
 Failed to load kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub (error 0xdc008016).
 Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPS2Nub"

0		0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
 USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 0c1401d76b1535 0x1b1c 0xab1 0x100

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Okay, so you guys are gonna laugh but I figured it out.

So I have fixed permissions before, and reset em on the specific files, but it never worked. And I did not know why. So I thought well why not go back and reread what they wrote. Nobody ever told me WHERE to put the LegacyHDA.kext file. So then I see verdant here say /E/E/ and I am like, hrmm why not test it out. I have never dealt with LegacyHDA before, so how would I know, I just thought it belonged with AppleHDA. Anyways, it worked!, after placing LegacyHDA in /E/E all of my problems are fixed. LegacyHDA works with both back and front panels, and is completely functional! Verdant you can now add abhilash's information to your guide, thank you abhilash, and I hope when you write the guide you mention specifically where to place the files because my stupid mistakes could as well be anothers :)

The only problems I can see in my kernel.log are these three:

Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController might not load - kextd is currently unavailable.
 Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2682 goto Exit
kxld[com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0xfeedfacf.
  Can't load kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub - link failed.
  Failed to load executable for kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub.
  Kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub failed to load (0xdc008016).
  Failed to load kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub (error 0xdc008016).
  Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPS2Nub"

USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 0c1401d76b1535 0x1b1c 0xab1 0x100

Thanks for your honesty Vinnymac.......every step taken is something new learned hopefully....... :angel:

Glad the "problem" is now sorted.....and I will make sure that I put in the Audio section ALC885 codec guide explicitly where each kext should go....... ;)

Problem 3) is seen by just about everyone I think......

Problem 2) is a PS/2 kext..... use a USB keyboard and USB mouse.....no need for PS/2 kexts......

Problem 1) over to iLeopod on this one.....

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
Can be solved by adding subsystem ids to HDEF Device in DSDT:
like:
"subsystem-id", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x79, 0xCB, 0x00, 0x00
}, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
0xDE, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
},
or
"subsystem-id",							 
Buffer (0x04)							
{							   
 0xA0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00						   
 }, 

"subsystem-vendor-id",							 
Buffer (0x04)							
{								
0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00							
},

would prefer the first entry.
Be carful with:
Store (Package (0x08)
just remove the numbers and let the compiler care about this.
like this:

Store (Package ()

abhilash

abhilash

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
@Vinnymac

I dont know what to say.. :D Anyways congratulations for getting sound with LegacyHDA kext.. :( :thumbsup_anim:

@Verdant, @iLeopod, @Vinnymac

sound not working with AppleHDA 10.6.7 (1.9.9f12) + LegacyHDA or ALC885. Though, upto 10.6.7 AppleHDA is same.

@iLeopod

Do you have any idea of patching AppleHDA >2.0 to work with nforce boards.
As per VCH888 post ALC889A/885 doesnt require to be patched only add Platform.xml and Layout885.xml with ALC885_889a.kext (replacing LegacyHDA/ALC885). But, that method is not working on nforce boards.

Kilopopo

Kilopopo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I have this problem for quite a while

After the console prints the Nforce HDD drivers and stuff i get stuck on USBMSC Identifier non-unique it just stops there and then nothing happens i waited for 20 minutes but still nothing

can you guys please help me out?

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Verdant, I've decided to switch to a USB interface for audio. Seems slightly more stable than firewire, but i'm still getting random freezes. This baffles me, because I use USB keyboard, mouse, and flash drives without any issue at all. The apogee lion driver is still a beta.

To recap, the problem with a firewire interface is that if it's connected at bootup, I get the spinning ball before the desktop loads. If connected after, it will freeze at a random time with the spinning ball.
With USB interface, I can boot into lion just fine. Nothing freezes, everything is great. But at a random time, the OS will freeze with the spinning ball. This only happens when the audio interface is connected. Product is an Apogee Duet 2 USB.

Now like I said, the driver is still beta. Maybe this is the problem. I'm not sure. But also, it seems that google chrome browser freezes the system randomly too. But nothing ever freezes if I boot with cpus=1.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Verdant, I've decided to switch to a USB interface for audio. Seems slightly more stable than firewire, but i'm still getting random freezes. This baffles me, because I use USB keyboard, mouse, and flash drives without any issue at all. The apogee lion driver is still a beta.

To recap, the problem with a firewire interface is that if it's connected at bootup, I get the spinning ball before the desktop loads. If connected after, it will freeze at a random time with the spinning ball.
With USB interface, I can boot into lion just fine. Nothing freezes, everything is great. But at a random time, the OS will freeze with the spinning ball. This only happens when the audio interface is connected. Product is an Apogee Duet 2 USB.

Now like I said, the driver is still beta. Maybe this is the problem. I'm not sure. But also, it seems that google chrome browser freezes the system randomly too. But nothing ever freezes if I boot with cpus=1.

I do all my heavy data transfers over Firewire and USB by temporarily booting with cpus=1 maxmem=2048, then when the transfer is complete I reboot as normal........

If you temporarily boot manually with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 when installing the app, or for doing large data file transfers e.g. video/audio files......and then afterwards, you reboot as normal.......everything is generally OK again, including making full use of all CPU cores by running applications now using the transferred data......

It is not as bad as you think.....data transfers do not need all 4 cores running at 100%, since it is the MCP (Southbridge chipset) that is controlling the data transfer rate from USB/Firewire/eSATA/SATA/IDE to SATA/IDE and vice versa....see chipset architectures in my two nForce chipset threads.......

Even using an AppleNForceATA kext that enables the use of >3GB RAM without any problems for 99% of the time, there still seem to be some apps that cause memory addressing kernel panics either during installation or during large data file transfers e.g. video/audio files......

I have this problem for quite a while

After the console prints the Nforce HDD drivers and stuff i get stuck on USBMSC Identifier non-unique it just stops there and then nothing happens i waited for 20 minutes but still nothing

can you guys please help me out?

Is this occurring when trying to install OS X Lion using a USB flash driver installer or some other method, or when booting OS X Lion already installed on your HDD......? Please elaborate on how and when this issue is occuring.......

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

I do all my heavy data transfers over Firewire and USB by temporarily booting with cpus=1 maxmem=2048, then when the transfer is complete I reboot as normal........

If you temporarily boot manually with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 when installing the app, or for doing large data file transfers e.g. video/audio files......and then afterwards, you reboot as normal.......everything is generally OK again, including making full use of all CPU cores by running applications now using the transferred data......

It is not as bad as you think.....data transfers do not need all 4 cores running at 100%, since it is the MCP (Southbridge chipset) that is controlling the data transfer rate from USB/Firewire/eSATA/SATA/IDE to SATA/IDE and vice versa....see chipset architectures in my two nForce chipset threads.......

Even using an AppleNForceATA kext that enables the use of >3GB RAM without any problems for 99% of the time, there still seem to be some apps that cause memory addressing kernel panics either during installation or during large data file transfers e.g. video/audio files......

Is this occurring when trying to install OS X Lion using a USB flash driver installer or some other method, or when booting OS X Lion already installed on your HDD......? Please elaborate on how and when this issue is occuring.......

yes but the interface also enables audio output which would mean that if I wanted to listen to anything through the unit, I'd have to always be in single CPU mode.

Can you possibly look at my DSDT to see if you think there are any issues? I honestly feel that it's fine but I would appreciate it. I also appreciate everything you've already done to help me. You've been a huge help. Perhaps a PCIe USB 3.0 card would help? Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   7.39KB   2 downloads

Kilopopo

Kilopopo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

This happens when try to install lion on an nforce 650i chipset using a usb flash drive.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

yes but the interface also enables audio output which would mean that if I wanted to listen to anything through the unit, I'd have to always be in single CPU mode.

Can you possibly look at my DSDT to see if you think there are any issues? I honestly feel that it's fine but I would appreciate it. I also appreciate everything you've already done to help me. You've been a huge help. Perhaps a PCIe USB 3.0 card would help? Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   7.39KB   2 downloads

Thanks for your appreciation of my help........ :(

I will check your DSDT.........in this particular case, it could just be because the Lion driver is still only in beta stage......what happens when you increase / decrease the Apogee Duet 2's buffer size.......?

Are you powering the Apogee Duet 2 USB via its AC adapter? If not, I suggest you try the AC adapter, so that the USB port you connect to is only lightly "loaded"......

Some USB ports while not indicating 'current limit exceeded' will be pushed to their "limit".......are you connecting to a front or back panel USB port? Generally for powered USB devices, I find that my back USB ports function better.....

This happens when try to install lion on an nforce 650i chipset using a usb flash drive.

OK.........firstly, can you confirm that you have done the following (as per post#1 Part B.):

In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
	sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions 
	sudo touch /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

followed by

sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
	exit

[10] Close all open folders within the Mac OS X Base System folder and in the Terminal type:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System

[11] Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz
IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz
kernelcache
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

@silentsaint

Here is your 'cleaned up' DSDT.aml with _WAK fix and RTC fix: Attached File  SilentSaint_Fixed_DSDT.zip   21.23KB   3 downloads

I have not done any other mods until we see how you get on with this version......also I do not have the time to do further mods at present as I have to go offline for a period.......

Here is your patched DSDT.aml which may or may not help with your USB and/or Firewire issues......

Let me know how you get on with it , or not......... Attached File  SilentSaint_Patched_DSDT.zip   21.84KB   3 downloads

Edited by verdant, 26 August 2011 - 02:09 AM.

Krishna21

Krishna21

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Verdant,

Wish me luck :) I'm going to attempt Mac OS X Lion on my X1700 tomorrow.
According to the HCL someone already has achieved it but was barely elaborated, I'll be first to elaborate on it!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Verdant,

Wish me luck :) I'm going to attempt Mac OS X Lion on my X1700 tomorrow.
According to the HCL someone already has achieved it but was barely elaborated, I'll be first to elaborate on it!

Hope it all goes well......... :)

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Thank you for the fixed and patched DSDT. Unfortunately, neither fixed the issue. Also, connecting the unit with the power adapter makes no difference. I'm starting to believe that the problem lies with apogee's mixing software, so maybe once the driver is out of beta it will work with all four cores.

I just really don't understand how it can work with one processing core absolutely perfectly, but not with all four. I mean, the hardware doesn't change at all. Do you think that maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have GTLREF lane voltages set?

Would you suggest a USB 3.0 PCIe card? Or do you not think that would help any?

I also read in another thread a long time ago that someone had random freezes with a dual core cpu and both cores active and the problem was with the onboard LAN? Do you think that could be the problem here? The LAN works 100% though as long as I don't have my interface plugged in. Everything works perfectly with 4 cores when my interface isn't plugged in. And that was my whole purpose for installing OSX, was to make music and be able to buy Apple-only hardware.

If you can't think of any solution, i may just try to buy a board with an intel chipset. maybe a p45. But i will of course still donate to the nforce cause, because of all of your excellent help.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Thank you for the fixed and patched DSDT. Unfortunately, neither fixed the issue. Also, connecting the unit with the power adapter makes no difference. I'm starting to believe that the problem lies with apogee's mixing software, so maybe once the driver is out of beta it will work with all four cores.

I just really don't understand how it can work with one processing core absolutely perfectly, but not with all four. I mean, the hardware doesn't change at all. Do you think that maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have GTLREF lane voltages set?

Would you suggest a USB 3.0 PCIe card? Or do you not think that would help any?

I also read in another thread a long time ago that someone had random freezes with a dual core cpu and both cores active and the problem was with the onboard LAN? Do you think that could be the problem here? The LAN works 100% though as long as I don't have my interface plugged in. Everything works perfectly with 4 cores when my interface isn't plugged in. And that was my whole purpose for installing OSX, was to make music and be able to buy Apple-only hardware.

Could you try without having GTLREF lane voltages set.....?

I am not sure USB 3.0 would be of any help as it uses a non-Apple driver I believe.....

You could [1] try disabling onboard Firewire and LAN........then use a OS X Lion compatible PCI or PCIe NIC.....or [2] try a OS X Lion compatible USB 2.0 PCI or PCIe I/O card......

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Yes, I will try without the voltages set.
I know it's probably not your area of expertise, but if I did switch to an intel mobo with new ram, would I have to reinstall lion completely? Or could I just swap it out and generate a new DSDT? I'm honestly intrigued because I want DDR3 ram anyway, and I could get a new board and new ram for around $160 USD. From what I understand, the intel bridges are far more compatible than the nvidia ones.

I'll let you know about the GTLREF lanes.

about an hour in with GTLREF lanes set to 0.

four terminal windows running yes > /dev/null

two 1080p youtube videos playing simultaneously

itunes, VLC, and apogee mixing software open

so far, no freeze. keep your fingers crossed for me!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Yes, I will try without the voltages set.
I know it's probably not your area of expertise, but if I did switch to an intel mobo with new ram, would I have to reinstall lion completely? Or could I just swap it out and generate a new DSDT? I'm honestly intrigued because I want DDR3 ram anyway, and I could get a new board and new ram for around $160 USD. From what I understand, the intel bridges are far more compatible than the nvidia ones.

I'll let you know about the GTLREF lanes.

5 minutes in with GTLREF lanes set to 0.

four terminal windows running yes > /dev/null

two 1080p youtube videos playing simultaneously

itunes, VLC, and apogee mixing software open

so far, no freeze. keep your fingers crossed for me!

Re switch to Intel MOBO......you could do it as follows.........

[1] Install target OS X HDD for new Intel MOBO in your nForce PC and format it as GPT/HFS+ using Disk Utility

[2] Clone current OS X Lion system on to it using Carbon Copy Cloner, or Disk Utility

[3] On the cloned GPT/HFS+ volume, remove kexts from /E/E/ for nForce MOBOs and add any your research indicates that your new Intel MOBO will need, e.g., Legacy kext for audio, SleepEnabler.kext or whatever, etc......do likewise for /S/L/E......

[4] Check if your new Intel MOBO is listed in MaLd0n's DSDT Auto Patcher and download the patched DSDT......then replace nForce DSDT.aml on cloned volume with the Intel DSDT.aml file....

[5] Run RC5 Chameleon Installer and install boot files on the target OS X HDD for new Intel MOBO

[6] Replace nForce MOBO with Intel MOBO in PC and connect up to the newly prepared HDD and boot into OS X........

Update on GTLREF lanes set to 0.....?

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
about an hour in now, and everything is still stable. I'm almost afraid to update you, because everything is working perfectly. If it was going to crash, I feel like it would've by now (because in the past, it was always within 10 minutes)

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

about an hour in now, and everything is still stable. I'm almost afraid to update you, because everything is working perfectly. If it was going to crash, I feel like it would've by now (because in the past, it was always within 10 minutes)

Update me when you have no doubts about it crashing just as you type "no crash yet".......LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy