Anybody get SLEEP to work?

Godolete

43 posts in this topic

10.6.8 sleeps & wakes up, but 10.7 never wakes up - needs reset.

GA-P55-UD3R, core i750, GeForce 2400GT, Intel 82571 NIC.

i have the same board (well, the P55A version) and my sleep works flawlessly.

you need a couple of things:

1. DSDT from tonymacs database that matches both your motherboard and bios version

2. in energy preferences, enable "automatically start after a power failure"

3. the below binary patch for applertc (paste into terminal):

perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\x74\x0b|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\xeb\x0b|; s|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\x74\x08|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\xeb\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

With those 3 things - it works perfectly.

Only thing "not working out of box"™ is that after sleep i need to manually make mkext for S/L/E to caches if i install something or upgrade so that kexts are changed. Otherwise it reads all kexts again when rebooting next time.

mkext isn't used any more as samsonluk mentioned.

Here's what to do:

1. put all your required kexts into /System/Library/Extensions

2. apply root:wheel ownership, and 644 permissions to those kexts

3. put the following into your com.apple.boot.plist file:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

4. delete /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache and reboot your machine. It'll rebuild the kernelcache file and the bootloader will use it upon startup.

whenever something changes in /S/L/E, that kernelcache file will rebuild itself.

What can I use to debug my sleep issues? I have an Abit IP35 board (most likely pretty close to Intel reference P35/ICH9R board) and have patched it so that everything but sleep works. Native PM seems to work using Chameleon generated P/Cstates and HPET added to DSDT, or at least it doesn't kernel panic.

The machine does go to sleep just fine, but when waking up just get a blank screen and the computer hangs because nothing can be launched via Spotlight (otherwise there would be HDD activity).

So which logs should I check for clues why this happens?

If computer goes to sleep by itself everything fine. But when i choose from menubar Apple->Sleep computer restarts. So for the first case it's not "sleeping" or everything works except choosing from menubar?

Hope someone understand what i'm talking about :rolleyes:

UPD: It just seems that working only display sleep.

Manual sleeps works perfectly but not auto sleep. I've upgraded to LionGM but when I was on LionDP4, sleeps works both manual and auto. I've not tried clean install yet.

Try the standard settings + Restart after power failure.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the DSDT generated by Auto-Patcher and I'm also using the binary patch for AppleRTC.

My computer sleeps well but when it wakes, the video is all messy and I have to hard-reboot.

But NOT wake in case of a notebook.

I have tried your patched DSDT and added USB fix but does not wake up from sleep (Acer Aspite 3820T)

Most people get the Sleep AND Wake working on Desktops but much harder on Notebooks as I am finding.

in your CASE

see the ioreg MacBookPro6,1

EHCI

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package ()
	{
		"device-id",
		Buffer (0x04)
		{
			0x34, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00
		}, 
		"built-in", 
		Buffer (One)
		{
			0x00
		}, 
		"AAPL,clock-id", 
		Buffer (One)
		{
			0x01
		}, 
		"device_type", 
		Buffer (0x05)
		{
			"EHCI"
		}, 
		"AAPL,current-available", 
		0x04B0, 
		"AAPL,current-extra", 
		0x02BC, 
		"AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
		0x03E8, 
		Buffer (One)
		{
			0x00
		}
	}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

UHCI

{
Store (Package (0x02)
	{
		"device-id", 
		Buffer (0x04)
		{
			0x3B, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00
		}
	}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}

Many things can break the sleep

the kexts for PS2, voodoohda, kext for USB3, GPUs, etc

in many cases

2. in energy preferences, enable "automatically start after a power failure"

Do not use DSDT from other computer, in many cases even if the mobo and BIOS version are the same, the amount of memory, number of used memory slots, etc. can cause problems.

database is not a good idea

What can you suppose ... My sleep and wake from sleep work perfectly on Snow Leo 10.6.8. Work perfectly on Lion, too, but without speedstep, if I enable speedstep (GenerateC/PStates) in Lion, the hacky wakes up with 2-3-4 time less performance than normal .. :(

Sleep works... X58A-UD7 / ver 1.0 and BIOS IS F8 !, it is just updated from GB's site.... after that, of course, a remake for DSDT.aml and SleepEnabler.kext + AppleRTC.kext are modded for Lion (11A494a). Downloaded them from Kexts.com...

New SleepEnabler and AppleRTC kexts work for me too. No DSDT. The only annoyance is that it takes ~30 seconds to standby.

Intel DH67CF

i5-2400s

I saw nawcom just released SleepEnabler. I've been using it for the past couple of days.

http://blog.nawcom.com/SleepEnabler.kext.10.7.x.zip

I'll get around to fixing my sleep on the DSDT soon.

Hi All,

I used the SleepEnabler.kext from the link provided by TomTheGeek on my Lion and Sleep is working perfect.

I placed the kext in /Extra/Extensions and after that just ran kextutility and restart and now Sleep is working.

The motherboard i have lion installed now is an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and everything is working ok.

Thanks to MaLd0n for this great guide here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

I first installed the new SleepEnabler for 10.7, and got it to sleep BUT waking up with the power button (as I used to do in 10.6.x) caused a restart, removing the nullcpupowermanagement.kext from Extra allows it to sleep and wake up properly BUT it keeps resetting the CMOS on restarts. I haven't tried the new sleepenabler without nullcpupowermanagement, need to find a way to stop Lion messing with CMOS.

I'm on a G41M-ES2L / Quad Core Xeon.

• 3 weeks later...
in your CASE

see the ioreg MacBookPro6,1

EHCI

{
Store (Package ()
	{
		"device-id",
		Buffer (0x04)
		{
			0x34, 0x3B, 0x00, 0x00
		}, 
		"built-in", 
		Buffer (One)
		{
			0x00
		}, 
		"AAPL,clock-id", 
		Buffer (One)
		{
			0x01
		}, 
		"device_type", 
		Buffer (0x05)
		{
			"EHCI"
		}, 
		"AAPL,current-available", 
		0x04B0, 
		"AAPL,current-extra", 
		0x02BC, 
		"AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
		0x03E8, 
		Buffer (One)
		{
			0x00
		}
	}, Local0)
Return (Local0)
}

Hi there. What would be the equivalent for the MacBookPro6,2 chipset (ibex peak)?

I have been trying desperately to find anybody that has taken a full ACPI dump of the macbookpro6,2 machine, but the best i have found lists the E/UHCI as external in the DSDT and thus the apple original E/UHCI's are not listed.

Would you happen to know what they should be on a core i7 620M ibex peak device?

Thanks!