Mac OS X Lion announced, only $29.99, coming in July, digital-download only

Ed

47 posts in this topic

It seems that everyone here already has snow leopard on their hackintosh's right? Cause I dont. I actually dont mind getting both snow leopard and than lion but this is the problem right? That its not possible to go from snow leoprad to lion on a hackintosh.

It seems that everyone here already has snow leopard on their hackintosh's right? Cause I dont. I actually dont mind getting both snow leopard and than lion but this is the problem right? That its not possible to go from snow leoprad to lion on a hackintosh.

totally possible, even easy, the changes are in the license: it can become illegal in some places, it is just a social use concern (and a very small technical concern). But a general concern with osx86 future.

===========

EDIT

===========

Just a pair of screenshots: Lion will ONLY Install if you are on the internet.

More checkings? More loggings? Good bye privacy...

IMG_0560.jpg

totally possible, even easy, the changes are in the license: it can become illegal in some places, it is just a social use concern (and a very small technical concern). But a general concern with osx86 future.

===========

EDIT

===========

Just a pair of screenshots: Lion will ONLY Install if you are on the internet.

More checkings? More loggings? Good bye privacy...

IMG_0560.jpg

Are you saying that I can buy a snow leopard copy at my local store, upgrade to the latest snow leopard version and than upgrade via the mac app store to Lion without me needing to hack anything. Accept installing snow leopard ofcourse. I mean if I have a Hackintosh with the latest snow leopard, can I buy and upgrade to lion from the mac app store and still be able to pay for lion?

Are you saying that I can buy a snow leopard copy at my local store, upgrade to the latest snow leopard version and than upgrade via the mac app store to Lion without me needing to hack anything. Accept installing snow leopard ofcourse. I mean if I have a Hackintosh with the latest snow leopard, can I buy and upgrade to lion from the mac app store and still be able to pay for lion?

Besides the fact that both 10.6.8 (which includes the new appstore for lion download) and Lion itself are on beta, yes, it can be done, but it will be as legal as using a Distro.

What they did is technically ridiculous to break (there are even new holes regarding non-efi firmware) by hacking, but I was talking more about the legal part of it: now even in the case you propose, you: did buy "without consent" (because the eula is inside the package) the Snow Leo and was compelled to accept that you are installing on a "real mac", ok we are, until now emulating them just like virtualbox or vmware do. But, when you buy trough mac appstore you are buying using a fake (generated) UDID, what can be interpreted as fraud (again, in some legislations, and only if the company wishes to bug you), and you are compelled to agree with the eula before using the appstore itself, so - this time - they sold you an update for mac os on real macs license WITH your agreement to that BEFORE buying.

This only "patches" one of many legal holes they have in their OS selling, but an important one to some legislations ( here where I live it makes no difference, where I live the EULA is itself illegal, independent of being inside or outside the box, and in the case of software, where the law is conflicting with the eula, these parts of the agreement are just nulled by the law).

I was thinking more in advance then technically:

Technically we can pick the dmg inside the dmg, change some files and configs, and create a disk that is identical to a "retail" disk, it is not even hard to do. But in what touches to the control of the system, during installation, a serial number is sent to apple (along with your UDID) and they will be able to reclaim the control at any moment, and this would be the case of disorganized john does vs transnational company.

As I said, it's not yet a real move because we are talking of betas that can change, but it is a signal.

But if you are outside Calli or EU, many different arguments can be used. They did not close all holes, but a important one.

If you only care about installing the software with no license legitimacy, it will make no difference, you will even be able to install it easier then the real-mac-users should be obligated to.

Besides the fact that both 10.6.8 (which includes the new appstore for lion download) and Lion itself are on beta, yes, it can be done, but it will be as legal as using a Distro.

What they did is technically ridiculous to break (there are even new holes regarding non-efi firmware) by hacking, but I was talking more about the legal part of it: now even in the case you propose, you: did buy "without consent" (because the eula is inside the package) the Snow Leo and was compelled to accept that you are installing on a "real mac", ok we are, until now emulating them just like virtualbox or vmware do. But, when you buy trough mac appstore you are buying using a fake (generated) UDID, what can be interpreted as fraud (again, in some legislations, and only if the company wishes to bug you), and you are compelled to agree with the eula before using the appstore itself, so - this time - they sold you an update for mac os on real macs license WITH your agreement to that BEFORE buying.

This only "patches" one of many legal holes they have in their OS selling, but an important one to some legislations ( here where I live it makes no difference, where I live the EULA is itself illegal, independent of being inside or outside the box, and in the case of software, where the law is conflicting with the eula, these parts of the agreement are just nulled by the law).

I was thinking more in advance then technically:

Technically we can pick the dmg inside the dmg, change some files and configs, and create a disk that is identical to a "retail" disk, it is not even hard to do. But in what touches to the control of the system, during installation, a serial number is sent to apple (along with your UDID) and they will be able to reclaim the control at any moment, and this would be the case of disorganized john does vs transnational company.

As I said, it's not yet a real move because we are talking of betas that can change, but it is a signal.

But if you are outside Calli or EU, many different arguments can be used. They did not close all holes, but a important one.

If you only care about installing the software with no license legitimacy, it will make no difference, you will even be able to install it easier then the real-mac-users should be obligated to.

So apple will be able to control my pc if I install it like I said. That sucks. Im really exited for lion. But should I install snow leopard on my or will a later hack hopefully enable me to directly go to lion?

If this is to annoy the hackintosh community, I think it may backfire slightly.

It's not as if we are causing them extra support.....as we dont call them with issues.....but now they are giving hackintosh users a route to warez.....

Surely they are better off letting us buy a disk we can play with....

Regarding legal issues, isn't the 10.6 retail DVD was originally licensed as only an upgrade for 10.5 users, despite the fact that you can technically use it for a clean installation?

In any case, if you have a route, any route to buy Lion and you install it on a PC, you are not committing a crime, you can't be prosecuted, you are only in breach of EULA.

Who cares about breach of EULA, especially in a country like mine (Italy) where they reckon that more than 50% of the entire population has committed some kind of "piracy"?

In any case, if you have a route, any route to buy Lion and you install it on a PC, you are not committing a crime, you can't be prosecuted, you are only in breach of EULA.

Who cares about breach of EULA, especially in a country like mine (Italy) where they reckon that more than 50% of the entire population has committed some kind of "piracy"?

But if anyone gets his/her hands on a lion install dvd, will they be able to install it on a pc with the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or Empire EFI or will they have to make a new version?

But if anyone gets his/her hands on a lion install dvd, will they be able to install it on a pc with the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or Empire EFI or will they have to make a new version?

Most likely they will need to make a new version because most likely they patched empire efi and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] in lion

Most likely they will need to make a new version because most likely they patched empire efi and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] in lion

I don't see how they would be able to do that. Don't those BootCD's inject EFI data into the Kernel itself (like Chameleon, which most are based off)? Unless they changed the way the Kernel works...

And whats this about the installation and recovery phoning home to apple with your computers serial number? Where does that leave the hack?

Seriously considering the shift to ubuntu personally - its already installed and used, just not my main day to day work OS. I might well have an apple 'device' or two about that house in the future, but after nearly 20 years, and a journey through System 7 to OSX Snow Leopard I'm finally thinking of moving my main work machine off the mac :/

lol have non of you looked at the installer from the app store? all it has is an DMG and code to mount and activate the install process. no reason you can't make your own DVD from the DMG inside the 'installer' just option click and select view package contents...

lol have non of you looked at the installer from the app store? all it has is an DMG and code to mount and activate the install process. no reason you can't make your own DVD from the DMG inside the 'installer' just option click and select view package contents...

128782685664515853.jpg

lol have non of you looked at the installer from the app store? all it has is an DMG

yeah, we know, read the rest of the thread :)

I think the issue is the app store. I just updated to 10.6.8, ran the app store app and on login got:

"No GUID is available. Contact Support for assistance"

And it wont let me in. Looks like apple are starting to get a bit more strenuous about checking for real macs.

And it wont let me in. Looks like apple are starting to get a bit more strenuous about checking for real macs.

Scratch that, looks like the GUID error is due to my pci network card.

after nearly 20 years, and a journey through System 7 to OSX Snow Leopard I'm finally thinking of moving my main work machine off the mac :/

[slightly OT] I am going the opposite direction. Linux is not too bad, but with KDE and Gnome getting less user friendly and less loved all the time (except of course by the "geek" minority), patchy hardware support and with a severe shortage of quality applications, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. With other words, I lost confidence that open source developers can create a coherent, usable OS.

Windows has the most applications, but it has also more problems than I care to mention or to remember, a real nightmare which severely affects your productivity.

After 5 years as an hackintosher, I have finally bought a real Mac. I aim to make it my main computer.

IMO, OS X still offers the best overall user experience , even with its minor glitches (whether hack or Mac). [/OT]

[slightly OT] I am going the opposite direction. Linux is not too bad, but with KDE and Gnome getting less user friendly and less loved all the time (except of course by the "geek" minority), patchy hardware support and with a severe shortage of quality applications, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. With other words, I lost confidence that open source developers can create a coherent, usable OS.

Windows has the most applications, but it has also more problems than I care to mention or to remember, a real nightmare which severely affects your productivity.

After 5 years as an hackintosher, I have finally bought a real Mac. I aim to make it my main computer.

IMO, OS X still offers the best overall user experience , even with its minor glitches (whether hack or Mac). [/OT]

Exactly my opinion!

Wether I like the direction OS X goes now with Lion or not, it's still the best choice for me.

I started with a hackintosh and then got a MBP after some time. And now I also consider getting one of the new Minis in the near future, entirely switching to real Macs. It just proved to be the most reliable and beautiful OS for me, making it worth the money if I compare it to the almost 10 years of Windows usage (and a bit Linux here and there).