SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

I believe the guys over at tonymac have been dealing with this. They have created an SSDT for it and it fixes the speed step issue on 10.7.4

Actually the SSDT issue in 10.7.4 was solved by revogirl not tonymac and the the problem was the missing Pstates from SSDT.

• Like 2

Infact it 'was revogirl to solve this problem.Now on my 10.7.4 I have only three working pstate (16 35 49) while on 10.7.3 with the 10.6.8 kext (IoPlatformFamily) working every pstate, how do I fix this annoying problem?

Ps: But for me cpu work perfect , my geekbench score is high and not slow.

Worked perfect for me since the first 10.7.4 beta, and final release (after fixed my SSDT tables). BTW, the AICPMPatch by el coniglio (olarila site).

So for 10.7.4 I cannot use the generate P and C states = yes in the cabp? I will have to bring in my SSDT table after being modified? This is for an Asus G74SX gamers laptop not the Asus Workstation motherboard that the thread was started for initially.

Is there a thread on how to do this entire DSDT/SSDT/CABP procedure? Thanks

Yes, fixing the SSDT table(s) for P-States is the way to work correctly with the AICPMPatch. Because in 10.7.4 "GeneratePStates=Yes" not worked for my laptop (pegatron motherboard - AMI EFI Bios).

Now I have all my SSDT tables (attached only for reference) from /Extra and set "DropSSDT=Yes", "GeneratePStates=No" and "GenerateCStates=No" from /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

You can use AIDA64 (Everest before) to extract your table(s), then fix your P-States to complete the proper sequence (RevoGirl idea).

Also, please see this Very Important complementary information in olarila web site. Good Luck.

About my five (5) SSDT tables:

Are two for C-States support (I don't need GenerateCStates anymore):

- SSDT.aml = "Cpu0Cst" for CPU0

- SSDT-1.aml = "ApCst" return C-States for CPU1 to CPU7

Optional (exclusive for my CPU):

- SSDT-2.aml = "CpuPm" the firmware memory table for CPU Power Management

Two for P-States (Just fixed only the table number 3):

- SSDT-3.aml = "Cpu0Ist" for CPU0, this is the fixed main table for P-States support

- SSDT-4.aml = "ApIst" return P-States for CPU1 to CPU7

SSDT tables & ocBp.zip

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys;

I've used SpeedStepper to patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for Mac OS Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and all versions of Lion.

SpeedStepper for Lion 10.7.3, applied to "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, version 167.3.0" works with Lion 10.7.4

Before rebooting after updating Lion 10.7.3 to 10.7.4, I deleted the Lion 10.7.4 version of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and used an app to install the previous patched version for Lion 10.7.3. You can do this manually or use terminal, the system is still in root mode.

Download for "speed_stepper_lion_1073_11d24.zip" posted here . . .

http://www.insanelym...7

My system Specs . . .

Motherboard: Zotac H67-ITX-C-E

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K

GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon 5770 (model 100283-3L)

DSDT: Edits for HDMI audio only required, all else is vanilla

WiFi: May require swapping card for an Atheros or Broadcom, or use RaLink Driver for Mac OS.

All works, no issues.

Edited by Alessandro17
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=275942

All AICPM versions from 10.6.8 to 10.8 DP3 have 10 instances of wrmsr 0xE2, that's why the script had this check, to avoid the patch being applied more than once

if($#enderecos != 9) {
print "file is already patched or untested version\n\n";
next;
}

ML DP4 AICPM has 11 occurrences, so the script won't patch it unless we remove the check.

AICPMPatch.pl.zip

Backup the kext before patching and make sure you don't run the patcher twice, or it will patch instructions that should not be patched.

Yes, fixing the SSDT table(s) for P-States is the way to work correctly with the AICPMPatch. Because in 10.7.4 "GeneratePStates=Yes" not worked for my laptop (pegatron motherboard - AMI EFI Bios).

Now I have all my SSDT tables (attached only for reference) from /Extra and set "DropSSDT=Yes", "GeneratePStates=No" and "GenerateCStates=No" from /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

You can use AIDA64 (Everest before) to extract your table(s), then fix your P-States to complete the proper sequence (RevoGirl idea).

Also, please see this Very Important complementary information in olarila web site. Good Luck.

- SSDT-3.aml = "Cpu0Ist" for CPU0, this is the fixed main table for P-States support

Is this guide necessary for the upcoming Mountain Lion release or this is only for the 10.7.4 update?

Hi! I hit the 1.6GHz limit on my i7-970 on a Asus P6T7

I read through this thread and used Revogirls script from here.

http://revogirl.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/aboutp-state-stepper-error-18-at-step/

I used

sudo ./ssdtPRGen.sh 130 3460

For 130W TDP and 3.46 GHz max Turbo freq.

Now I have ssdt-pr.dsl

I also have ssdt.aml ssdt-1.aml ssdt-2.aml from Aida64

This is where I am stuck. What do I do now ?

what goes where ?

I have attached these files.

ssdt-i7-970.zip

hi

what u have read is for sandy cpu, not u case

try to use the 3 files (ssdt, ssdt-1, ssdt-2)

chameleon

p and c-states=No

DropSSDT=Yes

and test

good hack

hy.

since I worked on lion.. I used speedstepper, the boot.chameleon pstate and cstate and no extraxt/merge of ssdt into dsdt

also I never modded my bios.. because it's too recent and I've no idea on how to do that.

but.. in lion I was sleep/resume fine.

now: revogirl blog is dead, mt asus g53s has 98% ootb hardware in ML DP4.. but obviously I have to patch AICPM, and I never come back to DP3 because for the 1st time I have BT4.0 native drivers and Geforce GTX460M good benchmark without freeze.

so:

I tried to do with this perl script.. but the boot gave me KP

I'm asking you.. if it's possible.. to explain the best procedure (mrsdumper or ssdt extract with aida or ubuntu etc) and what kind of operation I have to do to inject into DSDT (if it's a must)

because I think that altering AICPM with this utility is not enought as before in Lion.

(I read about patching SMCPlugin.. , but indeed revogirl's blog is dead)

I use Macbookpro8,2 and i7 2600 HM65) , no HD 2nd video

byr

ugo

hy.

since I worked on lion.. I used speedstepper, the boot.chameleon pstate and cstate and no extraxt/merge of ssdt into dsdt

also I never modded my bios.. because it's too recent and I've no idea on how to do that.

but.. in lion I was sleep/resume fine.

now: revogirl blog is dead, mt asus g53s has 98% ootb hardware in ML DP4.. but obviously I have to patch AICPM, and I never come back to DP3 because for the 1st time I have BT4.0 native drivers and Geforce GTX460M good benchmark without freeze.

so:

I tried to do with this perl script.. but the boot gave me KP

I'm asking you.. if it's possible.. to explain the best procedure (mrsdumper or ssdt extract with aida or ubuntu etc) and what kind of operation I have to do to inject into DSDT (if it's a must)

because I think that altering AICPM with this utility is not enought as before in Lion.

(I read about patching SMCPlugin.. , but indeed revogirl's blog is dead)

I use Macbookpro8,2 and i7 2600 HM65) , no HD 2nd video

byr

ugo

The pstate and cstate always worked for me. When I tried the ssdt1, ssdt2, ssdt3 etc thing a long time ago maybe 1 or 1.5 years my temperature of my CPU ran hotter. I cannot picture how ssdt will make my temp's run lower over chameleon or chimera default pstate/cstate?

All AICPM versions from 10.6.8 to 10.8 DP3 have 10 instances of wrmsr 0xE2, that's why the script had this check, to avoid the patch being applied more than once

if($#enderecos != 9) {
print "file is already patched or untested version\n\n";
next;
}

ML DP4 AICPM has 11 occurrences, so the script won't patch it unless we remove the check.

AICPMPatch.pl.zip

Backup the kext before patching and make sure you don't run the patcher twice, or it will patch instructions that should not be patched.

Would you happen to have a patch for 10.8 Golden Preview?

Thanks

How are you today. I finally got the same tables as you by running AIDA64. I am going to give the a try. CAn you post your original ssdt-3 table so I can compare to see what fixes you did and then apply that to my ssdt-3.

I am comparing mine to yours now and I think I can see at least some script you removed. I also see some repeating sections. Can you check to see if I did it correctly? It compiles fine after removing the package sections 0x80000000 but I did not remove the section under " Name (_PSS, Package (0x0E)" that seem to repeat the entire package as above one "Name (SPSS, Package (0x0E)". Should I remove that script to? Any other changes?

Name (_PSS, Package (0x0F)

I see many repeating package with garbage?

Package (0x06)

{

0x80000000,

0x80000000,

0x80000000,

0x80000000,

0x80000000,

0x80000000

}

Did you just remove those?

I also see the state sections twice repeated but with different name?

Name (SPSS, Package (0x0E)

Then all the pstates

Name (_PSS, Package (0x0E)

These have the same pstates under them so did you just remove these also?

Thanks

Edited:

I see you left both sections _PSS and APSS. Mine is named differently it is SPSS and that script run first then _PSS after. Yours is reverse. DId you have the sections with 0x8000000 and remove? Was that the only fix then?

Thanks

ssdt-3.aml.zip

ssdt-3-after.fix.aml.zip

I am assuming ssdt-3.aml is your factory table. So, is a little bit different to editing / working on it, because your CPU has turbo states. I added those missing APSS to test, but I think is done. My guide was the genuine MacBookPro8,2 SSDT table to prepare your SSDT-3. Please look the attached, try it... and let us know. Good Luck.

SSDT-3.aml.zip

juanerson,

Thanks very much for taking the time to modify the ssdt-3. I got an kernel panic. Error said Inconsistant CPU p-state count indicates mismatched CPU packages. In the ssdt-3

Name (_PSS, Package (0x0E)

section, there are missing some p-states when compared the the section under,

Name (SPSS, Package (0x0E).

I do appreciate the time you spent to help me though.

If I run the revogirl

ssdtPRGen.sh in OSX 10.7.3 interestingly I get ssdt.aml formatted exactly like the one you can get from TonyMac's MultiBe.... v4.6.1 i7 ssdt and with the same values from the ssdt I generated from either a live Linux CD or the aida64 application. I just ran it with my CPU specs with TDP=45 and Max Turbo=2900. The only problem is I get a kernel panic see edited post below.

If I just run the default tonymac one I can boot properly and get all these pstates listed below.

If I insert my p-states from my ssdt generated from linux live cd or even from aida64 application into the tonymac ssdt I still get a kernel panic as others have reported, p-state stepper error 18 at step 35 in context 2 on cpu whatever that means?

MSRDumper pstates from tonymac's unedited ssdt:

MSRDumper CoreMulti(8)

MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 18 20 24 25 26 27 28

MSRDumper CoreMulti(18)

MSRDumper CoreMulti(20)

MSRDumper CoreMulti(25)

MSRDumper CoreMulti(26)

MSRDumper CoreMulti(28)

MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 18 20 22 24 25 26 27 28

As you can see it looks very good but I am confused as to how his can work. His frequency starts at 3900 and ends with 1000. Yet my speedstep follows exactly as my processor was meant to be as far as MSRDumper shows?

I am guessing to just use the generic tonymac one I have attached. So I am going to use just the ssdt.aml and not the other system ssdt's, maybe too much bloat and uneeded?

My asus G74SX Laptop Bios will not allow me to disable EIST which I read you should disable if you dropssdt=yes and generate p/c state = no. I do not put p/c state keys in the CABP and so by default it should be no for c/p.

Attached is the tonymac one and I still do not see how it can work with my cpu?

EDITED FEW MINUTES LATER:

MSRDumper shows actual p-states but registry shows what is actually in the ssdt 3900 to 1000? WIll this become a problem?

EDITED AGAIN:

I took tonymac ssdt and trimmed it down made it 2900 to 800 as my processor should be. This time I waited longer and got all the pstates as reported above by MSRDumper.

Looks even better now!!

MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 12 16 21 22 24 25 26 27 28 29

EDITED AGAIN:

Last thing. I think I have figured out why I was getting the same kernel panic and error script as others where getting. And with my testing all day and night for 2 days it just hit me. You have to have a minimum of 18 pstates for this to work or you could see the error. Maybe not but when I went from 14 to 22 everything worked perfect.

This was the error I was getting constantly no matter what I did:

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 1

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 2

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 3

P-State Stepper Error 18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 0

SSDT.aml.zip

post-135888-0-81465300-1342601583_thumb.png

post-135888-0-94478100-1342602683_thumb.png

ssdt.aml.2900-800.zip

Hei osxfr33k i'm g53 series..i7 quite similr..

I have problem with patched rtc/aicpm and generate cstatw/pstate at obcp

So shoul i test yours?

Can you send me your rtc (my dsdt is already patche but i've no ssdt tables and..agree..i cannot mod uefi bios!)

Hi there. flAked's patch, in a way how el cognilio and oldnapalm implemented it in their perl script is now available in Clover bootloader as on-the-fly In-memory patch during booting. Since i did not mod bios, this patch was needed to allow me to install ML like on a real Mac - running ml install app to init installer and then rebooting with Clover into installer to do the install.

• Like 1