SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

rcork

rcork

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
@prcmelo, your DSDT and SSDT look fine. Not sure what you mean when you say "

I took a patched AICPM and a iMac12.2 plist...". Did you try using an unmodified AICPM and setting SMProductname=iMac12,2 in your smbios?

@androdev, if you have xcode installed you should have otool. It should be in /usr/bin

kdtt

kdtt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
This speed stepper works fine on Evga x58 classified.
I tested on Lion with bios 83 which is the latest.
Thank you .
Lot of evga x58 users are using old bios which was out in 2009. because that's the only bios without kernel panic.

Vaden

Vaden

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, Does anyone know how to edit the Bios properly to keep speedstepping. Because if i go in, and change anything with my ram, depending what is changed, i lose speedstepping. And other times i lose turbo. It sucks! And i can't figure it out. Like X.M.P. makes me lose speedstepping, but if i change one of the options back to auto (something to do about cores), speed stepping works, but turbo doesn't work. Like what the hell.

prcmelo

prcmelo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

@prcmelo, your DSDT and SSDT look fine. Not sure what you mean when you say "

I took a patched AICPM and a iMac12.2 plist...". Did you try using an unmodified AICPM and setting SMProductname=iMac12,2 in your smbios?

Thanks for checking my SSDT and DSDT. With an unmodified AICPM and SMProductname = iMac12, 2 in my SMBIOS, I have only the p-states 16 and 34 and my USB ports do not work and I have IOUSBDevice errors, ( attached images in my last post ), when I start the system, ( this error appears even with a patched AICPM ) . This iMac12.2 plist I spoke, (which I think contains the StepDataDict from MacBook 8.3), it's inside the Plugins folder of IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext ... I don't know what else to try ...

rcork

rcork

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Okay, Does anyone know how to edit the Bios properly to keep speedstepping. Because if i go in, and change anything with my ram, depending what is changed, i lose speedstepping. And other times i lose turbo. It sucks! And i can't figure it out. Like X.M.P. makes me lose speedstepping, but if i change one of the options back to auto (something to do about cores), speed stepping works, but turbo doesn't work. Like what the hell.

There's a bug in the ASUS bios where if you manually set the turbo states, it causes you to lose a couple p-states (usually the ones between 16 and 34). When set to auto you should get them. I also did notice that when i set my system to XMP, it messed a lot of things up (lost p-states, random KP). What i did was to not use XMP and set my RAM to the settings i wanted manually (DDR3-1600, 9-9-9-24, etc).

Thanks for checking my SSDT and DSDT. With an unmodified AICPM and SMProductname = iMac12, 2 in my SMBIOS, I have only the p-states 16 and 34 and my USB ports do not work and I have IOUSBDevice errors, ( attached images in my last post ), when I start the system, ( this error appears even with a patched AICPM ) . This iMac12.2 plist I spoke, (which I think contains the StepDataDict from MacBook 8.3), it's inside the Plugins folder of IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext ... I don't know what else to try ...

I'm at a loss too. Since you say it worked properly under Lion maybe they changed something else in the code. We may just have to wait until ML gets close to final release and people smarter than us figure it out.

prcmelo

prcmelo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I'm at a loss too. Since you say it worked properly under Lion maybe they changed something else in the code. We may just have to wait until ML gets close to final release and people smarter than us figure it out.

I think something has changed ... For example, I noticed that the structure of IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext in Mountain Lion was changed, as in the "plugins" folder there are 4 or 5 kexts ... and not only ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext as before.

telepati

telepati

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hi guys Im using 10.7.3 right now and sleep/wake up doesnt work? I read all 22 pages but what do you talking about I dont understand anything. You talking ababout like different language. In all pages have bunch off codes. How to work sleep/wake?

BloodyVlad

BloodyVlad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Can somebody upload original AICPUPM.kext from 10.8 for me? I'm trying to use patcher but it says that file is already patched.

jazzyguy

jazzyguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Is there any way to make a patcher like the one I believe oldnapalm uploaded, except it only patches the first time so it can be run multiple times?

BloodyVlad

BloodyVlad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Is it so hard to upload original untouched AICPUPM.kext here, people? Or maybe someone has already patched it for i3-2310m?

Is there any way to make a patcher like the one I believe oldnapalm uploaded, except it only patches the first time so it can be run multiple times?

You also have i3-2310m and 10.8? Can you upload your patched AICPUPM.kext here?

jazzyguy

jazzyguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Its not the CPU, its the BIOS that matters. We aren't supposed to share apple's files.

BloodyVlad

BloodyVlad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Now I use patched file from 10.7.2 - works OK.

davidm71

davidm71

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I have found an easy method to patch Asus bios for speed stepping. You just need AMIAptioTool to identify the 2 CpuPei modules, extract them. Then do a search and replace on the two modules with a hex editor (all credits to DHP for this fix):

800018EB050D0080to000018EB050D0000
There should only be one instance of this string in each module.
Then use the tool to replace the existing modules with the patched ones. Voila! Now I found that the AptioTool will work on 4Mb EFI bioses (such as the P8P67M-Pro) but not the new 8Mb ones (such as the Gene-Z). So I use Phoenixtools to replace the patched modules (it has an option to pause the patching so you can replace original modules in the DUMP directory with patched ones. This has worked for me on all bios variants for the P8P67M-Pro and Maximus IV Gene-Z.

REMEMBER that patching a bios is a risky business, so do so at you own risk.

Hi,

Asus just released a new bios for the Z68 Deluxe version 3203 and I have bios 706 I patched myself according to the instructions but with 3203 theres a glitch in that I can't find that hex string anymore in 3203 like I did in 706 and the CPUPEI file is now 14 kb smaller! Is this not possible anymore? Would substituting the cpupei modules from 706 in 3203 be a bad idea? Not that I feel like that taking that chance!

Thanks.

Note: Feel like leaving the bios alone as I feel lucky that I was able to patch it before...

magnifico

magnifico

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,317 posts

Hi, Asus just released a new bios for the Z68 Deluxe version 3203 and I have bios 706 I patched myself according to the instructions but with 3203 theres a glitch in that I can't find that hex string anymore in 3203 like I did in 706 and the CPUPEI file is now 14 kb smaller! Is this not possible anymore? Would substituting the cpupei modules from 706 in 3203 be a bad idea? Not that I feel like that taking that chance! Thanks. Note: Feel like leaving the bios alone as I feel lucky that I was able to patch it before...

Sorry but ...you need a this bios 3203 ?
Wich problem have you with 0706 ?
Try 0902 , this is a edited bios
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fjsf0f

davidm71

davidm71

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Sorry but ...you need a this bios 3203 ?
Wich problem have you with 0706 ?
Try 0902 , this is a edited bios
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fjsf0f

Well version 3203 promises improved memory compatibility and system stability where as 902 just has updated cpu microcode so no benefit going with 902. So I either stay with 706 or give up OSX hackintosh for Windows with 3203 unless I can figure out how to edit 3203...

Thanks.

magnifico

magnifico

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,317 posts

Well version 3203 promises improved memory compatibility and system stability where as 902 just has updated cpu microcode so no benefit going with 902. So I either stay with 706 or give up OSX hackintosh for Windows with 3203 unless I can figure out how to edit 3203...

Thanks.

but what happens to you in windows, does not have stability of what, the cpu?

SamG

SamG

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
I'm following the guide from Lion and on. I used ###### to install and that part was a breeze, but when I get to part for speed stepper I get this:

SpeedStepper v1.2 - © flAked 2011
for AICPUPM v167.0.0 - Lion 10.7.2

unable to open file, try running as root
: Is a directory

I'm running the file from the desktop. If anyone could please help or tell me where I'm going wrong it would be tremendously appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

jazzyguy

jazzyguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
must be

sudo ./speedstepper /S*/L*/E*/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

don't point to kext, but to the binary.

SamG

SamG

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thanks man! I don't understand what the difference is between this: sudo ./speedstepper /System/Library/Extensions/ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and what you posted.

Aren't they the same thing other than that yours is abbreviated?

jazzyguy

jazzyguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
What version of OS X?

Make sure there are no spaces.

What errors are you getting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy