What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

I have tried the following cards with no success:

Cheapo PC Club Card - Realtek RTL8139D

3COM 3C905C-TXM - Broadcom 5904

3COM 3C90B-TX-NM - Lucent Chipset

Asanta Tech - DEC 21140-AE

I thought the Realtek and the 3COM's would just come up, but they dont. Maybe I am missing something.

This sounds great, but I haven't got it working :P

Windows part all worked out, but how do I setup a Null Modem PPP connection in OSX? System Preferences / Network just shows a non-working 'Built in Ethernet', trying to add a ISP connection fails.

VMWare works with a serial port / PPP connection. I used a demo of Virtual Serial Port Driver XP v5 to create a pair of serial ports. I bound one of them to Incoming Connections, no flow control, 115200. Allow directly connected users to connect without a password, give it a pair of IP addresses under TCP/IP config.

The other serial port I bound to the Virtual Machine. Within OSX select the Null Modem at 115200 as your modem, unselect compression and wait for dial tone. Under PPP Options, select use terminal window. Click Connect. When the terminal window appears, type in CLIENTCLIENT and hit enter (you won't see anything in the window as you type). The XP side should respond with CLIENTSERVER. Click connect. If all goes well you'll be connected via PPP.

PCI 3Com 3C905C-TXM NIC (Broadcom 5904 chipset)

That's what I have, and they are quite common. Also, you may look into something with a "digital" chipset. I haven't tried my DLink (w/ digital chipset) in the OSx86 box yet, but it's a hybrid card that works in PCs and Apple hardware natively.

I've written up a quick guide on the wiki on how I set up my network card using the Darwin Tulip kext. See here

Cool thanks that worked... well at least with one on my Network cards =P

It worked great with my Linksys LNE100TX card.

But it didn't work with the NVidia nForce Network built into my motherboard and it didn't work with my Belkin Wireless G Network Card.

Also it seem to have broken Safari, It uses to start before I added Tulip but now it won't. =/

This is what I'm getting at installation

Last login: Tue Aug 23 16:34:51 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
tiger-x86:~ thesleeper$ cd /Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/    tiger-x86:~/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0 thesleeper$ sudo make install
Password:
set +e; for x in /Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/tulip.kext/Contents/MacOS /Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/tulip.kext/Contents /Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/tulip.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj; do \
       test -d $x || mkdir -p $x; \
done
WARNING: Installation step will check if this driver is already installed and loaded.
If it is, it will delete the original driver and install the new one. A reboot will load
the new driver, or follow the instructions printed at the end of the installation for
manually unloading the old driver and loading the new one.

cp: ./tulip: No such file or directory
cp: ./bundle/Info.plist: No such file or directory
cp: ./bundle/InfoPlist.strings: No such file or directory
/Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/tulip.kext does exist. Continuing...
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext /tmp/backuptulip
sudo mv /tmp/tulip.kext /System/Library/Extensions
echo ""; \
echo "To load this driver without going through a reboot, follow these steps.";\
echo "WARNING: Unloading the old driver will disrupt your network on this machine if it is active!!"; \
echo ""; \
echo "1. Type: sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext"; \
echo "   note: This command will request your Administrator or root password"; \
echo "2. Type: sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext"; \
echo "3. Done!"

To load this driver without going through a reboot, follow these steps.
WARNING: Unloading the old driver will disrupt your network on this machine if it is active!!

1. Type: sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext
  note: This command will request your Administrator or root password
2. Type: sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext
3. Done!
tiger-x86:~/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0 thesleeper$

Is this normal? I don't think so it says some files don't exist

What have I done wrong, I really need some help here! thanks