Mobility Radeon HD 4650:Full Resolution with QE & CI working on Internal LVDS screen

• Please log in to reply
692 replies to this topic

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:multimedia interaction design.
Ok anyway it seems that we're close to the solution.
from the verbose pic I understand either that the framebuffer is corrupt or that the system didn't find it... Too many error messages.
But I guess that when the display hangs at the apple logo, osx is loaded anyway. Try to change the sound volume or to open the cd tray or to shut down to verify.
Are your modified ati kext all inside System/library/extensions and only there? Check if you have some of them in extra/extensions, in this case you should remove them...
Ok, then remove atiframebuffer from S/L/E and start again from a clean 10.6.7's one.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

You should use the original ATIFramebuffer.kext. Just need to patched the original ATIFramebuffer.kext.

Well i used the one in crazybirdys original post but i will get the one from mucha and try again.

Ok anyway it seems that we're close to the solution.
from the verbose pic I understand either that the framebuffer is corrupt or that the system didn't find it... Too many error messages.
But I guess that when the display hangs at the apple logo, osx is loaded anyway. Try to change the sound volume or to open the cd tray or to shut down to verify.
Are your modified ati kext all inside System/library/extensions and only there? Check if you have some of them in extra/extensions, in this case you should remove them...
Ok, then remove atiframebuffer from S/L/E and start again from a clean 10.6.7's one.

As far as i can tell everything else is loaded. There are no ATI kext in Extra folder, i will start with a clean kext. as far as the ATI kexts i can see that ATIRadeonx2000.kext, ATI4600controller and the ATISupport are all loaded.

Same thing, still hangs.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The only kext in Extra/Extensions is AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. I'm not sure why that is there because I already have one in S/L/E. I have two kexts in my System/Extra folder they are Extensions.bak.mkext and Extensions.mkext. I'm not sure what to try next. Is there a way for me to test the ATIFramebuffer.kext without actually trying to load it at boot?

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Did you try to understand if the system is loaded when display hangs? You can also easily try in verbose mode -v and see if it returns something when you press volume keys or power button....

Once you are sure there's not a KP, you should try to understand why specific kext isn't loaded.
Maybe also that the extension cache extensions.mkext is not up-to-date, try also moving it elsewhere and see what happens...

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Should it return something right away in verbose? When I press volume or power button while it is booting it doesn't seem to bring up the kexts. What should I be looking for? I tried moving Extensions.mkext to root folder and results are the same

The volume buttons still make a noise when it hangs during -v. But the power button doesn't do anything unless I hold it down then it reboots like its supposed to.

Is there a place where these -v boot records are being stored?

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Ok, if you ear the volume "pop" when display hangs, it means the system is correctly up and running.
Then if you press the power button and then return, it should be able to shut down without forcing.

Ok, now boot with graphicsenabler = no, you should be able to get desktop in vesa 1024x768 stretched.
download & unzip the file attached here, place it wherever you want and set the system to open up it at startup (system preferences > accounts > login items > drop the file in the list).
Set back graphicsenabler yes and reboot -f.

Now when the system is up a new kextstat.txt is created on your home directory, it contains the trace of all the kext loaded with gE=yes.
Shut down and reboot in safe mode (-x GraphicsEnabler=No) to avoid the file kexstat.txt to be overwritten.
Copy and place the txt in a safe place to be able to analyze what's inside and eventually post it here..

Anyway I have another question: are you sure about the bootloader? which one were you using before replacing the peregrine boot file I provided?

Attached Files

• Attached File  ks.zip   566bytes   8 downloads

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I was using the one provided by crazybirdy on his QECI guide. I will do this when I get home.

I was using the one provided by crazybirdy on his QECI guide. Then I removed that boot file and replaced with yours. I will do this when I get home.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
No it does not pop when it hangs nor can I hit power then return and it shut down. I have to force it. Oh and since I was having trouble I did try a different boot loader yesterday it was chameleon 2 RC4 then replaced the boot file with the one you provided. Of course still the same.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
As I'm sure you know, since the system won't boot all the way (with GE=YES) I can't get it to run that ks.command file you gave me.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
@cOke: I find it odd that for some reason with that boot file I have to have it in the root not extra. Seems like every other boot file I've used I was able to put it in either and it worked fine. Probably doesn't mean anything just thought I'd add that.

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Ok, I've read again crazybirdy's updated guide here.

I think you can either use the bootloader he attached instead of the one I used that time:
Chameleon_2.1svn_r1618_trunk_Peregrine_NB_pkg.zip
I think it's better since it is an installer. It's the same one I use now in lion.

Now if you say that the system's hanged, not only the display, you must try to understand what's wrong. Maybe nothing concerning the graphic card.
bootup in verbose and report where it hangs and eventually KP.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The picture in post 638 shows where it hang. I will try that bootloader again and see what I get. Otherwise I will try and figure out where and why it is hanging. Thank you.

im sorry this is where it hangs

Attached File  photo.JPG   312.19KB   23 downloads

This is where im guessing it KPs?

Attached File  photo(1).JPG   422.5KB   23 downloads

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
The pic in post #638 doesn't show any kp and seems osx is up. In this case it should be able to run ks.command.
Anyway you did some other modifies since that pic, so I'm pretty sure the verbose level messages are different now.
If you still obtain the same errors with atiframebuffer after the last mod to that ati kext it means that the file is still corrupted.
If you get there without kp and cannot hear sound from volume keys nor open the cd nor shut down maybe also the input and/or sound drivers aren't ok.
I would try anyway with an external usb keyboard and a VGA display and see what happens.

I'm sorry you can't still get to the point.
I think there is not too much else I can do to help you. Let us know.

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
Hi c0ke & dajerm119,

I think better start from fresh 10.6.7. The ATIFramebuffer.kext failed to load problem, look like it's not the correct ATIFramebuffer.kext for 10.6.7.

@dajerm119, Please list all kexts in /Extra folder. Also make sure all Extra Extension must installed in:-
/Extra
not in other directory.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
@cOke: thank you so much for your time and effort. I really appreciate your patience and willingness to help. I may just try a fresh install and go from there. Thank you to everyone else how has helped as well. I will let you know if anything happens.

The only kext in /Extra are Extensions.bak.mkext and Extensions.mkext

"Also make sure all Extra Extension must installed in /Extra."

I'm not sure I understand, are there supposed to be more kexts in here?

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
You don't know what kexts in Extensions.mkext? You can *decompressed* Extensions.mkext to *.kext files. I'm not on Mac right now, I don't remember the exact kextcache command. I'll let you know when I'm on Mac later.

c0ke

c0ke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I don't see any kp in your pics.. Only atiframebuffer issue.
So kextstat.txt should be saved in your home directory and should be useful to see if all other needed ati kext are loaded.

I agree again with kizwan, ati kexts corrupted maybe. You could extract the clean ones from an osx update maybe 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 should have same ati kexts.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Sorry like I said I'm new pretty new to Mac I didn't know it was a compressed file. I'll check it out after i get home.

dajerm119

dajerm119

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
@ cOke: I tried the kextstat yesterday and it would not boot far enough to even run the start up options.

@kizwan: I tried unpacking Extensions.mkext in Kext Utility and it told me " ... /n Sorry, could not unpack " "/Extra/Extension.mkext""

Lordadmiral Drake

Lordadmiral Drake

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
try Kext Wizard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy