[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Mammoth Method v2.00

Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation of Windows 7 and

[near] Vanilla Retail OS X 10.6.x (with Chameleon on its own partition)

Installation Guides and Bootable Media Using

Mammoth Installation Image Devices (MIIDs)

for HP DVx Series Pavilion Laptops:

Currently DV8, DV7, DV6, DV5, (and others where similar and compatible)

Thread Quick Links:

Thread Rules

(Please read these now!)

Guides Library

MIIF Library

DSDT Library

Auto-Patcher Patch Packs Library

General File Library

Mammoth Method Member Area

NEWS AND UPDATES

THIS THREAD NEEDS A MODERATOR!

Hey everyone, Mammoth here. I don't want this thread to die and I don't want to leave everyone out in the cold either. So I would like to find someone who can moderate and takeover this thread either indefinitely or until I can return to it (which doesn't look like it's going to be soon, if ever). ;)

So the moderator would have to be VERY knowledgable, preferably someone I am familiar with or has been on InsanelyMac for a while now, and could really take this thread to the next level and beyond. I would provide all of my existing source docs I have created and files needed to support this thread and the community.

If this sounds like you and you are up for the challenge, please PM me.

Thanks,

Mammoth

Mammoth's Status

Hello everyone. I am sorry, but there is WAY TOO MUCH going on in my life right now. At this time, I do not have any "spare" time to devote to this project or help people with any of their issues. But this does NOT mean you will not be able to find help here. There are MANY people here, and working together, you should be able to solve most problems. I will be back at some point, or may check in from time to time. I do miss being here and being involved, so I hope I can return soon.

Thanks,

Mammoth

NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD FOR i5 AND i3 MACHINES NOW AVAILABLE

2011-04-03

For those with i5 and i3 machines that have NOT been able to get the v1.15a to work for you, this new v1.15a_i5i3 SHOULD work. Please test and post your results in the thread ASAP. I am determined to get your machines working for you.

Mammoth

UPDATED GUIDES AND MIIFs NOW AVAILABLE

2011-04-02

Hey everyone! The guides have been updated for going from 10.6.3 straight to 10.6.7 during the installation procedure! Also, ALL of the MIIFs have now been updated for 10.6.7 too!

The bonus: BRAND NEW MIIF CREATED FOR i5i3 MACHINES SO TRY IT OUT!

Mammoth

Thanks to Ekwj and Himura84, we have a way to install for i5 (and maybe i3) machines now!

I HAVE posted the procedure in the General Files Library. Go there now to install for i5 and i3 machines!

The day has finally come...

Welcome to Mammoth Method v2.00 for HP Pavilion DVx series Laptops!

Release day is finally here! :P

While there are more things I wanted to do and add, I didn't want to hold up the release anymore. So here are a few quick first notes:

- This new thread is under construction. I decided to release now, and continue working on the new thread afterwards.

- I am attempting to keep the new thread very organized. You will see the first 9 posts are mine, and I will use these for different things to make it easy for us all to find what we are looking for.

- So expect the layout and content of these sections to change a lot until I finally figure out the best organization.

- I need your help. While you are going through the guides, especially the first time, please take notes and let me know about any mistakes you find in the guides (spelling or otherwise), if steps seem to be missing, or if something is not clear or confusing. BUT NOT IN THE THREAD AND NOT THROUGH PMs!

I have created a Gmail account JUST for all of you:

MammothV200@gmail.com

So NOW you can feel free to contact me this way. I'm very busy, so I may not be able to get back to you right away (or sometimes at all), so it's not a matter of me being rude (intentionally). :D

So PLEASE take a little time to send me corrections for the guides.

- I am already planning to release updated version of these guides because I believe corrections will be needed, 10.6.7 will be released any day now, and I believe all of you will be able to help improve on v2.00 greatly. So I will update the guides as I get info back from each of you.

OK, that's it for now! Just get to downloading and installing and get that feedback to me ASAP so I can make things all better.

• Like 4

GUIDES LIBRARY

VERSION 2.00

Part 1 - Preparation

P1_Preparation_HP_DVx_2.01.pdf.zip 4:10 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 NEW VERSION!

Part 2 - Installation Image Devices

P2_IIDs_HP_DVx_2.01.pdf.zip 5:50 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-23 Current Version

Part 3 - Installation

P3_Installation_HP_DVx_2.01.pdf.zip 4:10 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 NEW VERSION!

Part 4 - Completing Setup

P4_Completing_Setup_HP_DVx_2.01.pdf.zip 4:10 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 NEW VERSION!

Part 5 - Customizing

P5_Customizing_HP_DVx_2.01.pdf.zip 4:55 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-23 Current Version

Part 6 - OSXRepair

P6_OSXRepair_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Current Version

Part 7 - Windows 7

P7_Windows7_HP_DVx_2.01.pdf.zip 4:10 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 NEW VERSION!

IMPORTANT, 2 NOTES:

#1 Currently, there is an error in this guide that will cause boot problems after

restoring Windows 7. I will be updating this guide soon, but until then, here is how to avoid this:

On page 14, step p., we MUST UNCHECK the box "Restore original disk signature"! Restoring the original disk signature is what is blasting away either OS X or making Windows 7 not boot, or Chameleon not working... what ever your symptoms, this is most likely the cause. Uncheck this box, then do your restore.

#2 The solution to not being able to update our Windows 7 partitions to SP1 is easy. All we have to do is set the Windows 7 partition to "Active" in Disk Manager while booted into Windows 7. That's it. Do that, then you can install SP1.

Again, this will be a change in the forthcoming update to the Windows 7 guide. The box for "Set drive active (for booting OS)" in Norton Ghost must BE checked / selected before doing the restore.

Part 8 - Technical

P8_Technical_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Current Version

NOTE: Currently, the instructions for patching BIOS to remove Wi-Fi blacklist does NOT work. I will be correcting this soon and posting the updated guide.

Part 9 - Maintenance

P9_Maintenance_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Current Version

Part 10 - DSDT

P10_DSDT_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Current Version

Part 11 - Designing & Building MIIFs & MIIDs

Coming soon!

Reroute Wi-Fi Antenna Modification Newly added!

DV8t_1100_Reroute_WiFi_Antenna_Cable_Modification___Version_1.10.pdf.zip Originally posted 2010-07-26 Current Version

Using this method, you will never need to mod your BIOS; ANY and EVERY Wi-Fi card will be accepted by your HP laptop (but NOT all are OS X compatible). You can use short or long Wi-Fi cards in your laptop. (this is what I use in my DV8). ;)

However, for some, the procedure can be too difficult.

To use a short Wi-Fi card, you will need a "WiFi Mini PCI-E Half Size to Full Size Bracket", which you can find on eBay.

ARCHIVED VERSIONS OF GUIDES LIBRARY

Part 1 - Preparation

P1_Preparation_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Old Version

Part 2 - Installation Image Devices [Replaced Getting Ready Guide]

P2_IIDs_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Old Version

Part 3 - Installation

P3_Installation_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Old Version

Part 4 - Completing Setup

P4_Completing_Setup_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Old Version

Part 5 - Customizing

P5_Customizing_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Old Version

Part 7 - Windows 7

P7_Windows7_HP_DVx_2.00.pdf.zip 6:00 PM -8:00 GMT Release Day! 2011-03-21 Old Version

MIIF LIBRARY

Mammoth (machine) Installation Image Files

Current v.03 MIIFs

Updated for 10.6.7 Update (Combo) and taptun1067_kernel. You must use these MIIFs with the most recent guide versions posted, so please check as some have been updated.

DVx_i5i3

NEW experimental MIIF for use with i5 and i3 based machines. NO DSDT

NEW VERSION! 9:15 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 DVx_i5i3_03.html

DVx

Use this as a basic template for building a MIIF for a machine that one isn't available for yet. NO DSDT

NEW VERSION! 9:15 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 DVx_03.html

DV8

Use this as a basic template for building a MIIF for a DV8 machine that one isn't available for yet. NO DSDT

NEW VERSION! 9:15 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 DV8_G_03.html

This is for any DV8 (or otherwise) machine that uses BIOS F.25 - sp49106 (created from DV8t-1100 - VF836AV)

NEW VERSION! 6:25 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 DV8_03.html

DV7

Coming soon!

DV6

Coming soon!

DV5

Use this as a basic template for building a MIIF for a DV5 machine that one isn't available for yet. NO DSDT

NEW VERSION! 7:25 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 DV5_G_03.html

This is for any DV5 (or otherwise) machine that uses BIOS F.21 - sp45138 (created from DV5t-1207tx)

NEW VERSION! 8:00 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-02 DV5_03.html

DV3

Coming soon!

==========================================================================

Older versions archive

==========================================================================

Previous v.02 MIIFs

v.02 corrected problems with installing, seeing errors when running scripts, kernel 10.6.3 not seeming to work.

DVx

Use this as a basic template for building a MIIF for a machine that one isn't available for yet. NO DSDT

Old Version 7:30 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-23 DVx_02.rtf

DV8

Use this as a basic template for building a MIIF for a DV8 machine that one isn't available for yet. NO DSDT

Old Version 7:30 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-23 DV8_G_02.rtf

This is for any DV8 (or otherwise) machine that uses BIOS F.25 - sp49106 (created from DV8t-1100 - VF836AV)

Old Version 7:15 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-23 DV8_02.rtf

DV5

Use this as a basic template for building a MIIF for a DV5 machine that one isn't available for yet. NO DSDT

Old Version 7:00 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-23 DV5_G_02.rtf

This is for any DV5 (or otherwise) machine that uses BIOS F.21 - sp45138 (created from DV5t-1207tx)

Old Version 7:00 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-23 DV5_02.rtf

AUTO-PATCHER PATCH PACKS

LIBRARY

These are coming to us by the kindness of MaLd0n and NIXin's great work! :)

If you would like to get a custom Patch Pack for your machine, please visit MaLd0n's thread and follow the instructions he provides: MaLd0n's Patch Pack thread on InsanelyMac

DV8 (i7 based)

DV8_i7_R01.zip 12:22 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-22 Current Version

Note: There is no need for you to download this if you are just trying to get your DV8 installed. This patch pack is used to generate a great DV8 DSDT; however, the DSDT generated from this patch pack is already included in the .01 release MIIF for the DV8. It is being included here only if you want to see what's in the patch pack, or if you would like some practice using it with the Auto-patcher, (or any other reason you might find). :)

DV6 (i7 based)

DV6_i7_R01.zip 12:22 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-03-22 Current Version

GENERAL FILES AND LINKS LIBRARY

GENERAL FILES LIBRARY

RealTek LAN Updated Driver

This is a better, newer LAN driver actually from RealTek. There is an .RTF installation instructions file in the .ZIP.

NEW FILE! 3:45 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-05-09

RealTekLANv206.zip

Mammoth DVxt Boot CD - v1.15a_i5i3

This is for i5 and i3 machines that are not able to boot using the v1.15a CD.

NEW FILE! 10:30 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-04-03 MammothDVxtBootCDv1.15a_i5i3.html

Mammoth DVxt Boot CD - v1.15a

Current Version originally posted 9:40 PM -8:00 GMT 2011-02-05 MammothDVxtBootCDv1.15a.zip

Taptun Chocolate Kernels (i.o.w. non-vanilia)

These are for HP Pavilion DVx series laptops with the InSyde BIOS / lapic incompatibility.

10.6.7 - taptun1067_kernel

taptun1067_kernel.zip

Patched Wi-Fi Whitelist BIOS files

From DV8 machine that uses BIOS F.25 - sp49106.exe (created from DV8t-1100 - VF836AV)

If your machine has ever been able to use the above mentioned BIOS, this should work for your machine.

dv8_F.25_sp49106_WIFIunlocked_bios.zip

WORKAROUND FOR INSTALLING ON i5 (and maybe i3) machines

NOWCOM legacy_kernellegacy_kernel.zipInstructions:Workaround_i5i3.htm

LINKS LIBRARY

MaLd0n's Patch Pack thread on InsanelyMac

Intel CPU and Bus Ratio Info

Old, original Mammoth thread

UPDATES SINCE CURRENT GUIDES

Here are the things that have come to light since the current versions of the guides were released.

===============================================================

Difficulty installing for i5 and i3 based machines

It seems that the reason for this is that 10.6.3 is NOT compatible with i5 and i3 CPUs, at least in the DVx machines. A workaround for this has now been posted in the General File Library, and I will be created some new MIIFs for i5 and i3 machines that incorporate this workaround.

===============================================================

- Using a drive on the eSATA port as a XIID is possible, however will cause the "Finish" script not to be able to make Chameleon bootable as the eSATA drive will be seen as Drive 0 instead of the internal hard drive as Drive 0, which is a requirement of the script.

There are two workarounds:

#1 Involves modifying "Finish" as follows:

BEFORE:

./fdisk440 -f boot0hfs -uy /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

AFTER:

./fdisk440 -f boot0hfs -uy /dev/rdisk1

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2

#2 Issuing the commands manually:

cd /Volumes/Cham/Installation/Chameleon

./fdisk440 -fboot0hfs -uy /dev/rdisk1

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2

===================================================

MAMMOTH METHOD MEMBER AREA

Mammoth is on Facebook and looking for you!

Mammoth's Facebook

Hey everyone,

I'm starting a Mammoth Method Facebook Group. This will give us an opportunity to interact more closely and get to know each other better. With the ability to chat, we can more quickly communicate with each other to solve problems in minutes that normally could take days! On Facebook, just send me a request to have you added to the "Mammoth Method v2.00" group and I'll add you. :D

Add me as a friend and I'll be creating that group ASAP!

Contact Mammoth via email!

MammothV200@gmail.com

THREAD RULES

(Please read now)

WELCOME!

We're glad you're here and hope the method either has, or will, work great for your DVx!

Following is some information that should be helpful to you as a new member of this thread. If you take a few moments to read it, you will find the information very helpful and will help you and others to have a better experience.

OVERVIEW

#1 MAMMOTH CAN'T ADDRESS InsanelyMac ISSUES

#2 CREATE A SIGNATURE

#3 KNOW WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT

EXPLANATIONS

===========================================================

#1 MAMMOTH CAN'T ADDRESS InsanelyMac ISSUES

I don't want to get PMs that are InsanelyMac related issues such as "I'm a new member and can't post." I can't do anything about that; you need to contact InsanelyMac about those types of issues!

#2 CREATE A SIGNATURE!

ALL DVx OWNERS - CREATE YOUR SIGNATURE! I will NOT help those without a detailed signature like the example given below.

Please take the time (right now) to create your signature, if you haven't already done so.

By doing this, everyone will be able to help you more easily and faster. There will be no need to ask you "what your configuration is", as we can put your model number (ex. VF836AV) in HP's web site and look it up. You won't have to keep typing it in everytime someone asks for it, and time won't be wasted wondering what your config is, or waiting for you to respond with it. When you are reporting issues, everyone can simply look at your signature and be able to help you out faster.

Here is how you edit your signature on InsanelyMac.com:

Either click this link: Help me create my sig!

or...

At the top right of the screen, click on the icon of the little gear ("My Controls" when you mouse over it), then on the left under "Personal profile" click the "Edit Signature" link. You can cut and paste my "sample" below (of course edit to match your system), and enter it just as if you were posting a message. You can get fancy with it if you want by adjusting colors, fonts, etc, but make sure it's easy to read.

Sample:

HP DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD | OS X 10.6.5 & Win7 Ult x64

#3 KNOW WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT

This thread is ONLY for the following:

- HP machines

- Specifically, HP DVx Pavilion series LAPTOPS

- Intel CPUs (if someone has an AMD kernel or knows how to make AMD based DVx systems work, let us know)

- This thread is for "Mammoth Method" ONLY! To understand what that means, please read the guides.

Please do not come in this thread asking for help with another manufacturer's systems, platforms, or other methods.

Thanks for taking the time to read these.

We look forward to helping you get your system going, and your help in the future.

Hi Atlee,

I tried to look up your system on HP.com but can't find it. Do you have a link to it?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02548151&cc=au&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_AUEN

My videocard is 68C1

I'm in the process of patching the new framebuffer inside ATI5000Controller

Soundcard is IDT 92HD81BIX - I can just patch the AppleHDA myself changing to my ID as i'm sure your pathmap and mine ain't so diff.

Realtek 8168 Gigabit LAN

Realtek UVC Webcam, will work on this later.

Card Reader works OTB.

I'm sure your files will mix in with my model well except for few devices.

Mammoth also do you have a breakdown of your DSDT fixes minus your videocard injection so i can manually patch my DSDT? Would help a lot thank you. e.g. Speedstep, RTC, HPET etc.

thanks

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02548151&cc=au&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_AUEN

My videocard is 68C1

I'm in the process of patching the new framebuffer inside ATI5000Controller

Soundcard is IDT 92HD81BIX - I can just patch the AppleHDA myself changing to my ID as i'm sure your pathmap and mine ain't so diff.

Realtek 8168 Gigabit LAN

Realtek UVC Webcam, will work on this later.

Card Reader works OTB.

I'm sure your files will mix in with my model well except for few devices.

Mammoth also do you have a breakdown of your DSDT fixes minus your videocard injection so i can manually patch my DSDT? Would help a lot thank you. e.g. Speedstep, RTC, HPET etc.

thanks

Great, that link worked. We will be getting DSDTs, patch packs, and a bunch of stuff up it just takes time. NIXin is the patch master and he has already created many. I need to work with him to get finalized versions and organize how we will post them, so that is coming.

On my DSDT, just go ahead and download the DV8 MIIF. You can mount it as a disk image and the DSDT is right there. Then you can use DSDTSE (or another program you might like) and have full access to it.

Your machine does look very similar to the DV8, so I think you are on the right track. I'm really looking forward to people creating MIIFs for their own machines. I certainly can't create one for everyone. :D

Let me know how I can help you though. I really want to see more machines working with this version!

Hey Mammoth,

I am getting the error "Mac OS X Cannot be Installed on this computer"

I do have 10.6.3 Retail DVD.

What can be the problem?

Attached is the boot screen and also the error. it comes right after i select my language. this is the same DVD i have used for all my other installs. i have formatted my internal HD just to be sure and still this problem persists! Hope to find a solution! Pls help!

post-40940-1300778289_thumb.jpg

post-40940-1300791269_thumb.jpg

Hp Pavillion dv6 3152ss

I'm having a lot of problems trying to install mac osx...

first of all i don't know if i have to delete system and restore partitions...

i installed macosx and it goes ok but when i reboot, i have proglems, in windows bootmgr, now nothing, im trying to fix the error but i can't even enter to windows to restore my files!!! please help

been reading the guides for the past hour, so happy for 2.0 Getting ready to pursue the auto-patcher but there is nothing listed for the dv7's, wondering if using the dv6 or 8 would work better for my system, i think im going to compile both and see which one works the best.

**EDIT**

just to let everyone know who may be wondering i used the dv8 auto patch and maldons autopatcher gave me a lot of errors, i then compiled with the dv6 autopatch and it completed successfully, havent been able to verify if it works correctly in osx yet but that will be later today!

@Mammoth i will create a version that suits my machine and will add it to this section, will make sure to get everything working as close as possible then release it. thanks

@Mammoth,

It seems to be the SMBIOS.plist that is causing the problem.

When i use the smbios.plist from your v1.5 from the preboot image

my dvd loads. With the default SMBIOS you have given it doesnt work.

Can you pls give me a good SMBIOS?

Mammuth,

While I have 2 drives, could I just remove may primary(w7) drive, then move secondary to primary slot, install OSX, then connect my W7 drive in to the secondary slot and boot from chameleon to my w7?

Thanks for V2 :P

And I will try your DSDT, since we have the same BIOS , that's what I think :)

//Peter

@Mammoth,

It seems to be the SMBIOS.plist that is causing the problem.

When i use the smbios.plist from your v1.5 from the preboot image

my dvd loads. With the default SMBIOS you have given it doesnt work.

Can you pls give me a good SMBIOS?

Try the followings. For power management and speed step, use AnVaL. Follow up this post as your laptop is almost identical to HDX. I repeated this a few times. I suggest you don't reinvent the wheel as we already did.

MacBookPro5,4 - P8700

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>06/15/09</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP53.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151647</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F22587A1</string>
<key>SMboardversion</key>
<string>Not Specified</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>266</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2527</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Computer Inc.</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,4</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W89412W27XK</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

MacBookPro5,5 - P8400, P7550, P8700 This one is for P8400. Change SMmaximalclock accordingly.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP55.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151708</string>
<string>Mac-F2268AC8</string>
<string>266</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>W8923YDH66D</string>
<string>2261</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,5</string>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Try the followings. For power management and speed step, use AnVaL. Follow up this post as your laptop is almost identical to HDX. I repeated this a few times. I suggest you don't reinvent the wheel as we already did.

MacBookPro5,4 - P8700

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP53.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151647</string>
<string>Mac-F22587A1</string>
<string>266</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>2527</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,4</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W89412W27XK</string>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

MacBookPro5,5 - P8400, P7550, P8700 This one is for P8400. Change SMmaximalclock accordingly.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP55.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151708</string>
<string>Mac-F2268AC8</string>
<string>266</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>W8923YDH66D</string>
<string>2261</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,5</string>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

But doesnt MacbookPro5,4 cause pops in audio? thats the whole reason i wanted to use MacPro3,1

But doesnt MacbookPro5,4 cause pops in audio? thats the whole reason i wanted to use MacPro3,1

If you have popping sound, then it is very likely that you have problem with speed step. MacBookPro5,4 or in my case MacBookPro5,5 are the best options for us. I am telling this based on my own and Valv's experiences. You can see what I got working in that post. Almost everything is working perfectly.

Today, I am planing to finish the post that I have been writing if I can finish the writing for my PhD.

Then you could try it yourself.