Mobility Radeon HD 5650 QE/CI WORK! (26/2 Update!)

eric028

113 posts in this topic

i am now trying to fix my ATI Mobility radeon 5650 to work on Lion 10.7, but no dice.

I followed the tutorial on this page (and more like 4 or 5 different tutorials on other places) but in the end, i ended up with the 1024x768 (that lovely resolution LOL)

so here is what i did i have 10.7.0 installed on my sony vaio VPCEB1S1E its a core i5 430m which also has some sort of intel integrated graphics and runs with our ATI 5650m, well after installing lion, i fixed most of everything, and am now stuck with graphics, what i did was boot into windows extracted the EDID using MonInfo convert it from Hex to base64 then got that file from \System\Library\Display and so the 714 file if i am not mistaken pasted the string into the correct spot between the data tags, and rebooted, on chimera (version that came with U nibeast can-t remember which one now) i booted with AtiConfig=Hoolock GraphicsEnabler=yes and back on desktop it was the same, same 1024x768 no QE/CI, i don't know what i am doing wrong...

I also would like to point act the following on system information the Graphic/Display is detected as following:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 3 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68c1

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Internal LCD Forced EDID:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

It never detects it as ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 like i have seen in some videos.

I also noticed that the DeviceID+Vendor ID making it 0x68c11002 is NOT on the ATI5000Controller.kext so i decided to add it, same luck no dice.

I never added the ATI files cause they are on Lion so there is no need to add them on System\Library\Extensions, also same for the boot file, never used it since chimera/chamelon now detects the GPU, which can clearly be seen on bootup before i changed the org.chameleon.plist it would say ATI5650 and Aticonfig Eulumer or something like that which was one of the profiles, i then changed the chameleon.plist to hoolock like i said above, and it did change on boot so i know that is working! it now says AtiConfig=Hoolock, Also as you can see by the Display name i already did the EDID hack as you can see the display is called internal LCD forced EDID, so why is it not working?

is it chimera? is EDID hack that apparently is working fine (and showing the monitor name as it should) is it the framebuffer? is it the intelGraphics messing with my ati? should i delete them? (but then again card is detected as Vendor ATI) how should i proceed?

hope you guys can help out :)

You know, I having exactly the same problem, but also I can't get edit to load too. I read something about Ati5000controller patching to proper connectors values using hex editor but no luck with that. And I'm not sure if it actually needed. http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1872&page=3

apparently yes, i got my dump but i can't decrypt it with radeon_bios_decode, the thing is i couldn't get RadeonDump to work ihad to boot with arch=i386 but i still couldn't make it work because of permissions i then chmod -R 755 RadeonDump to see if it could dump the bios, it didn't it errored out -.-, i then went through my external hdd and found the rom that i had dumped a few weeks ago when i was on 10.6.3 and it worked back then (it now doesn't don't know if its cause of lion, or the permissions i don't know) i still have my rom dump, but seeing radeon_bios_decode doesn't seem to work gets stuck i can't decrypt it -.-

I suggest you to try since you are running 10.6.8 you might have better luck, if you get it to work i ll send you my 68c1.rom so you can decrypt it as well.

post back when you can ;)

My ATI 5650M works , more or less. I`ve just selected Atiynit in iAtkos L2 installation. Works smooth, but when I run Lauchpad or Mission Control It has obvious bugs. Its 2GB Video ram and I can't use every screensaver from Apple, but my GPU is good, I think. So you guys think If I`ll try this, It will work just like on Apple device?

apparently yes, i got my dump but i can't decrypt it with radeon_bios_decode, the thing is i couldn't get RadeonDump to work ihad to boot with arch=i386 but i still couldn't make it work because of permissions i then chmod -R 755 RadeonDump to see if it could dump the bios, it didn't it errored out -.-, i then went through my external hdd and found the rom that i had dumped a few weeks ago when i was on 10.6.3 and it worked back then (it now doesn't don't know if its cause of lion, or the permissions i don't know) i still have my rom dump, but seeing radeon_bios_decode doesn't seem to work gets stuck i can't decrypt it -.-

I suggest you to try since you are running 10.6.8 you might have better luck, if you get it to work i ll send you my 68c1.rom so you can decrypt it as well.

post back when you can ;)

Try to

cd /folder/where_files_are

(do chown $ chmod on it) then ./radeon_bios_decode your.rom

or ./radeon_bios_decode < your.rom

it should out the info right in console.

The reason I can't try this method, is I just can't figure out how to modify those hex values, I just can't find those offsets listed there.

My ATI 5650M works , more or less. I`ve just selected Atiynit in iAtkos L2 installation. Works smooth, but when I run Lauchpad or Mission Control It has obvious bugs. Its 2GB Video ram and I can't use every screensaver from Apple, but my GPU is good, I think. So you guys think If I`ll try this, It will work just like on Apple device?

it just looks like u have only resolution without hardware acceleration.

• Like 1

k will try again, will post back the results in a few, btw which boot loader are you running? do you think that by running (in my case) from the usb to boot the partition i got osx installed is what is causing the problem and not recognizing it?

Edit1

Well it gets stuck i don't know what the hell is wrong it just doesn't work i am going to upload my rom here, can you decrypt it? and send me the txt please?

ill try to match the offsets if i can, and thanks for the help :)

1002_68c1.rom.zip

Yeah i know, i can i haven't done it yet, cause i have to clean a few things first, also i uploaded my rom on the post up there can you decrypt it with the radeon_decode, cause mine doesn't really want to work, i am going to get the hex editor seeing if i can get this to work.

and thanks :)

Hex fiend downloaded :)

Try to

The reason I can't try this method, is I just can't figure out how to modify those hex values, I just can't find those offsets listed there.

yeah it does seem so, i am not a big fan of distros but if i can get the resolution working i might give it a try, meanwhile i stick with my original 10.7 downloaded from the appstore, at least until i give up on this (its been 3 weeks), at least 1366x768 is better than 1024x768, so if this can't be solved i am going to iatkos.

EDIT2

This seems to me like a more in-depth faq of how to do things, its not related to our GPU but still its very similar to how we are approaching things http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252061

No, a lot people got it work. Don't give up, I'm feeling we near and around solution but can't see it. This card definitely should work according to all manuals. Wait a while, I'll decode your rom. Actually your rom is similar as mine ;)

Here you go. It different than mine because your display vendor is Sony. And different values as well.

MacOSX:VBIOS 2 neolo$ ./radeon_bios_decode < 1002_68c1.rom
ATOM BIOS Rom: 
SubsystemVendorID: 0x104d SubsystemID: 0x9071
IOBaseAddress: 0xd000
Filename: BR36874.001 
BIOS Bootup Message: 
Sony M980 Madison LP DDR3 64Mx16 600E/790M LVDS/VGA/HDMI                    

PCI ID: 1002:68c1
Connector at index 0
Type [@offset 45516]: LVDS (7)
Encoder [@offset 45520]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)
Connector at index 1
Type [@offset 45526]: HDMI-A (11)
Encoder [@offset 45530]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (0x20)
i2cid [@offset 45609]: 0x94, OSX senseid: 0x5
Connector at index 2
Type [@offset 45536]: VGA (1)
Encoder [@offset 45540]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)
i2cid [@offset 45636]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1

yup i do not also don't know why -.- i patched the ati5000controller as suggested and used the hoolock, also used the senseid for hdmi and for the VGA see if anything works.

well it doesn't just connected it to hdmi, no signal, i don't know what else to do, funny thing though, i edited the file, and if i was doing something wrong it should have {censored}ed up, but no, everything is working as it was.

i don't have a vga monitor around so i can't test it, i think i am going to give a try tomorrow on some more stuff, and report back, yes i patched hoolock, and yeah nobody cares 90% of the people don't have the techicall abiliity to pull this off, i just posted the same question (regarding the the 5650 not working ) on Tmac not a single answer, i guess they get scared, too much info for them.

i just hope i can pull this out tomorrow or in the next few days, i ll let you know :)

Ps god insanelymac censors everything xd

Edit1

came across this post http://www.insanelym...howtopic=265832, do you think we need to patch personalities to get this to work?

Edit2

Am i being paranoid or is most of the people i found having problems with this card having the device ID of 0x68c1, what device id do you have Neolo?

also the problem is 0x68c1 is not 0x68C1, the second one was added in the plist on the ati5000controller the first one (which is mine) i had to add it manually, i don't think the device ID is supported, but then again it makes no sense what so ever, since there are a few pics on this thread showing QEci working on 5650 with that exact device id 0x68c1, i really don't know what to do/Say/Think

I contacted one of the users of this forum that seems to know a lot about this card, i am awaiting for his reply, i just hope he does reply.

i don't have a vga monitor around so i can't test it, i think i am going to give a try tomorrow on some more stuff, and report back, yes i patched hoolock, and yeah nobody cares 90% of the people don't have the techicall abiliity to pull this off, i just posted the same question (regarding the the 5650 not working ) on Tmac not a single answer, i guess they get scared, too much info for them.

i just hope i can pull this out tomorrow or in the next few days, i ll let you know :)

Ps god insanelymac censors everything xd

Edit1

came across this post http://www.insanelym...howtopic=265832, do you think we need to patch personalities to get this to work?

Edit2

Am i being paranoid or is most of the people i found having problems with this card having the device ID of 0x68c1, what device id do you have Neolo?

I also tried on vga monitor - simple nothing different. Mine dev ID is the same as yours. Everybody I met on the forums are successfully running this card with exact id's (except me you and another russian guy with same laptop as mine are having this problem). I don't know about personalities... I even don't know what is that for =), just keep trying everything you'll find. What is your laptop? Cuz mine is Acer Aspire 5553G on AMD Phenom II which I couldn't find on any mac forums. Looks like I'm alone with this {censored}. Oh well, keep trying =).

Pockets69

UPD: Was playing today with this thing, because I was so bored and OMG I got it!!!! It works! On internal display! :angel_not: Happened clearly accidentally.

I knew that solution is easy but was difficult to see it. I tried almost all framebuffers except Elodea and decided that this is gives nothing - OMG....

Got recognized card and native resolution ONLY.

So what I have:

- dumped rom in Extra folder.

- All stock kexts while updated to 10.6.8 (in case with lion it should be the same situation). Nothing were patched there.

- GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseATIRom=Yes VBIOS=Yes ATIConfig = Elodea (not sure if all this stuff is needed but ELODEA definitely does the trick).

- Generated custom EDID.

U can look at the screen attached here, that's all I done to get it

72131228.th.png

UDP2: So after this it seems to be fine, BUT dvd player still says that video device is not found. Dashboard effects are not working. WTF? And why it recognized as ATI 5000 HD?

UDP3: Got Hoolock is working now (strange but I tried it hundred times before without success) maybe it's because I removed UseAtiRom. My card is recognized as Ati Mobility 5650HD (yay!). But NO QECI, only native resolution! Why?

UDP4: Nomascus drops my OS in circular reboot. Assuming this frame buffer is gonna make a QECI but something wrong. HELP!

Congratz bud :)

Well i started messing with it a few mins ago, just read your post, but i am getting something aswell, i got a spare hdd that i had lying around, and did a fresh install just to test the tutorial outwith nothing else installed, and its getting some results i actually got a distorted boot screen here, but i am now stuck at boot, also stupid lizard {censored}ed up my pen drive lol anyway i ll fix it, i am going to work a bit more on this, and if i cant get it working going to try your solution :)

also i see my ati now detected as it should, with hoolock and an offset so this might actually work which is cool :) what i don't get is my desktop right now lol

edit1

strange i got a resolution change on chameleon and on darwin, but it doesnt seem to change anything on the desktop -.-

Actually, as you see, I changed my post 5 times, I got resolution only, NO QE\CI at all =\ I need to continue....

I found why we couldn't get any results in the past, and probably this is causing a problems for you too -> download KextWizard and do Perm. and cache rebuild on Extra folder - that's why I had no results in the past when messed with video card, you no need to reinstall whole OS, just do as I said.

Try to

It seems like that. How can I make it work? I'm new at this..

Actually, as you see, I changed my post 5 times, I got resolution only, NO QE\CI at all =\ I need to continue....

I found why we couldn't get any results in the past, and probably this is causing a problems for you too -> download KextWizard and do Perm. and cache rebuild on Extra folder - that's why I had no results in the past when messed with video card, you no need to reinstall whole OS, just do as I said.

ah cool, well yeah it sucks but you still got the resolution, well as for me i was already jumping up and down with joy, cause i saw the resolution changing, but it still didn't detect my GPU Card LOOOL, still i get 1366x768 which looks awesome but still NO QE/CI and the card is still not correctly detected -.-

i am going to give a shot at lizard now ;) thanks

ah cool, well yeah it sucks but you still got the resolution, well as for me i was already jumping up and down with joy, cause i saw the resolution changing, but it still didn't detect my GPU Card LOOOL, still i get 1366x768 which looks awesome but still NO QE/CI and the card is still not correctly detected -.-

i am going to give a shot at lizard now ;) thanks

You should try all framebuffers and see where it will be detected. I guess we have to edit those personalities via hex editor to rich qeci. But, damn, I still can't figure out how to edit it. Why I see on 00000 row code like CAFEBABE 00000002 01000007 00000003 what is that mean?

Can you patch ATI5000Controller for me? My values are: LVDS 5, HDMI-A 1, VGA 8. Thank you.