• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

genzai

genzai

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

I have tested but i have a problem : the file don't work with 64 bits kernel on my MacBook Pro, only with 32 bits kernel.

Odd, its working on 64bit with my hac.

Also, looking through some drives i had on hand and i got ~110MB out of a newer gen WD. So i am sure that the limit now is drive speed and that the USB3 ports are capable of much faster speeds. need to find a SSD to try. 110MB is about what i get with SATA internally on these drives.

g\

seco1976

seco1976

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

sure let's try mediafire

http://www.mediafire...6c3kby1se62lkib

Thanks !

modbin

modbin

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 119 posts

I have tested but i have a problem : the file don't work with 64 bits kernel on my MacBook Pro, only with 32 bits kernel.

modbin, is this possible to make the modification on a 64 bits kext ? can you explain the modification ?

Best

Pierre

I patched both i386 and x86_64 parts of the kext. Try to clear your caches.

the kext does this check:
cmp ax, 59Fh
jz goodboy

dandumont

dandumont

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
when i modify the LaCie kext : no 64 bits
when i inject the patched kext : 64 bits

strange...

genzai

genzai

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Just to let everyone know i have tested this as working on all three USB3 enabled systems i have access to.
works on GA-X58A-UD5 and GA-H55M-USB3 motherboards.
special thanks again to modbin!
g\

pezomatic

pezomatic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
If I purchase these items for my Mac Pro will they work with the Lacie driver and a non-Lacie Hard Drive?

2 Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe x1 Card
http://www.microcent...duct_id=0324026

NEC uPD720200 Chipset ; Supports PCI Express 2.0 X 1 Lane, can transferring up to 5Gbps MAX; Supports USB 3.0 specification type A connector X2 ports

USB3 external case:
http://www.microcent...duct_id=0338041

Will the performance of an external USB3 hard drive be any faster than the same hard drive installed internally in my Mac Pro?

Thanks.

Rx4Mac

Rx4Mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I tried the Modbin modified PXHCD inside the LaCie kext with the CalDigit card and my MacAlly USB3 external HD..

No luck yet... Tested in both 32 and 64 bit kernel boot.

This is in a Cartri BIOS v 0.8 machine.

Has anyone had luck yet with and external HD case? ( vs a dock )

Thanks for working on this!

dasdasein

dasdasein

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have also tested the modified PXHCD. USB 2.0 external drive shows under USB super speed in system profiler, but USB 3.0 does not. This is from the console log:

06.11.10 13:16:30 kernel PXHCD 0x9bf3d000::UIMCreateControlEndpoint -fail to initialize device
06.11.10 13:16:30 kernel PXHCD 0x9bf3d000::ReadyForTransfer - fail to get device context
06.11.10 13:16:30 kernel PXHCD [0x9bf3d000]::EnqueueTransferDescriptor has not enough free TRB for transfer

The Real Deal

The Real Deal

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 850 posts
Thanks modbin.

rtrtrtrt

rtrtrtrt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I removed the check but I can't test if it works. it's up to you guys :)

patched kext:
http://rapidshare.co...HCD_patched.zip

thanks vm for this will test tomorrow hopefully

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
i could swear i never made a 8e for that board.
Anyway, that would be offtopic for this thread, i dont think the bios would be the problem, but that gave me some ideas.
more idea(l)s then time for it, as always

Going Bald

Going Bald

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I removed the check but I can't test if it works. it's up to you guys :)

patched kext:
http://rapidshare.co...HCD_patched.zip

Works in 64 bit kernel, but not up to USB3.0 standards. Did a bit of testing this AM:
Attached File  Comparisons2.0vs3.0.jpg   196.9KB   427 downloads

Will try it in 32 bit mode next.

EDIT: Works in 32 bit mode, too, but no better performance - still, I guess double the speed is something

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
Thanks for the tests!

Thanks for the tests!

By the way we still have Caldigit drivers to hack: they recompiled the USBFamily and provided 3 links, one being even a instruction manual.
we could use their usbfamily and hack only their other kext: their approach is very much more likely what i was thinking to do in the begining: a recompilation of iousbfamily with a real new class of usb being handled by it.
...modbin? Had you looked at that?

RemoteWorks

RemoteWorks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Works in 64 bit kernel, but not up to USB3.0 standards. Did a bit of testing this AM:
Attached File  Comparisons2.0vs3.0.jpg   196.9KB   427 downloads

Will try it in 32 bit mode next.

Looks to me that it just works fine
max for usb 2 is 30mb/s as shown in the first xbench score
But on the usb 3 port you see it's going to 60mb/s
it is still a normal HD right, not a ssd?

RW

Attached Files

btwiggles2

btwiggles2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I already had the Lacie driver installed. Tried replacing the PXHCD file and repairing permissions, still unable to mount drive on USB 3.0 port. Same story if I use Kext Helper and inject.

Going Bald

Going Bald

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I already had the Lacie driver installed. Tried replacing the PXHCD file and repairing permissions, still unable to mount drive on USB 3.0 port. Same story if I use Kext Helper and inject.

Copy modbin's PXHCD_patched to desktop. Right click - get info - change name to PXHCD. Close info screen.

Install LaCie pkg. Open finder and navigate to System / Library / Extensions / PXHCD.kext

Right click on PXHCD.kext, select "Show Package Contents"
A new finder window will open with a contents folder - open MAC OS folder in the contents folder - here is LaCie's PXHCD file. Drag modbin's file from the desktop to this folder and drop it - enter password to let it happen. Close finder, repair permissions and rebuild caches. Reboot.

What's the problem?

Looks to me that it just works fine
max for usb 2 is 30mb/s as shown in the first xbench score
But on the usb 3 port you see it's going to 60mb/s
it is still a normal HD right, not a ssd?

RW

Yes, but the speed shows up as "Up to 480 Mb/sec" for both the High-Speed USB 2.0 bus AND the Super-speed bus USB 3.0 ports - it should show much hugher for the 3.0 port. Also, the total xbench score for the USB 3.0 WD drive in the 3.0 port was .2 lower than in the 2.0 port - go figure. It should do a lot better than that!

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
I've got USB 3.0 working at very fast speeds, however with the current "hacked" LaCie USB 3.0 driver I kind of lose the functionality of sleep. I'm not sure if it's the driver or the fact that it's built-in...

http://stellarola.tu...usb-3-0-in-os-x

Anyone else?

RemoteWorks

RemoteWorks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Yes, but the speed shows up as "Up to 480 Mb/sec" for both the High-Speed USB 2.0 bus AND the Super-speed bus USB 3.0 ports - it should show much hugher for the 3.0 port. Also, the total xbench score for the USB 3.0 WD drive in the 3.0 port was .2 lower than in the 2.0 port - go figure. It should do a lot better than that!

Genzai already reported that in the profiler it shows as 480mb/s
The reason why your usb 3 test shows lower results, is because your got lower results on the sequential uncached read test.

RW

Jack F

Jack F

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've installed the LaCie drivers, replaced the PXHCD inside the PXHCD.kext and restarted,
and USB Super-Speed bus is showing up in System Profiler.

But I still get this error message showing up in the dmesg log:
[codebox]PXHCD 0x82e98000::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[152d]
[/codebox]

I'm trying this with a Vantec USB 3.0 Hard drive dock, and using a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard.

The dock works fine at USB 2 speeds plugged into one of the USB 2 ports.

Any ideas?

Going Bald

Going Bald

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Genzai already reported that in the profiler it shows as 480mb/s
The reason why your usb 3 test shows lower results, is because your got lower results on the sequential uncached read test.

RW

Granted, but given the "theoretical" speeds I would expect more. Even the AJA Test System only reports a doubling of speed. I guess I'm just a speed junky, lol.

Attached File  AJA_Test_USB_2.0.png   53.98KB   288 downloads Attached File  AJA_Test_USB_3.0.png   54.09KB   304 downloads
USB 2.0 . USB 3.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy