LaCie USB 3.0 drivers are here for OS X

antic

240 posts in this topic

If I purchase these items for my Mac Pro will they work with the Lacie driver and a non-Lacie Hard Drive?

2 Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe x1 Card

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0324026

NEC uPD720200 Chipset ; Supports PCI Express 2.0 X 1 Lane, can transferring up to 5Gbps MAX; Supports USB 3.0 specification type A connector X2 ports

USB3 external case:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0338041

Will the performance of an external USB3 hard drive be any faster than the same hard drive installed internally in my Mac Pro?

Thanks.

I tried the Modbin modified PXHCD inside the LaCie kext with the CalDigit card and my MacAlly USB3 external HD..

No luck yet... Tested in both 32 and 64 bit kernel boot.

This is in a Cartri BIOS v 0.8 machine.

Has anyone had luck yet with and external HD case? ( vs a dock )

Thanks for working on this!

I have also tested the modified PXHCD. USB 2.0 external drive shows under USB super speed in system profiler, but USB 3.0 does not. This is from the console log:

06.11.10 13:16:30 kernel PXHCD 0x9bf3d000::UIMCreateControlEndpoint -fail to initialize device

06.11.10 13:16:30 kernel PXHCD 0x9bf3d000::ReadyForTransfer - fail to get device context

06.11.10 13:16:30 kernel PXHCD [0x9bf3d000]::EnqueueTransferDescriptor has not enough free TRB for transfer

I removed the check but I can't test if it works. it's up to you guys :)

patched kext:

http://rapidshare.com/files/429069764/PXHCD_patched.zip

Works in 64 bit kernel, but not up to USB3.0 standards. Did a bit of testing this AM:

post-560169-1289146670_thumb.jpg

Will try it in 32 bit mode next.

EDIT: Works in 32 bit mode, too, but no better performance - still, I guess double the speed is something

Thanks for the tests!

Thanks for the tests!

By the way we still have Caldigit drivers to hack: they recompiled the USBFamily and provided 3 links, one being even a instruction manual.

we could use their usbfamily and hack only their other kext: their approach is very much more likely what i was thinking to do in the begining: a recompilation of iousbfamily with a real new class of usb being handled by it.

...modbin? Had you looked at that?

Works in 64 bit kernel, but not up to USB3.0 standards. Did a bit of testing this AM:

post-560169-1289146670_thumb.jpg

Will try it in 32 bit mode next.

Looks to me that it just works fine

max for usb 2 is 30mb/s as shown in the first xbench score

But on the usb 3 port you see it's going to 60mb/s

it is still a normal HD right, not a ssd?

RW

post-663166-1289149918_thumb.png

I already had the Lacie driver installed. Tried replacing the PXHCD file and repairing permissions, still unable to mount drive on USB 3.0 port. Same story if I use Kext Helper and inject.

Copy modbin's PXHCD_patched to desktop. Right click - get info - change name to PXHCD. Close info screen.

Install LaCie pkg. Open finder and navigate to System / Library / Extensions / PXHCD.kext

Right click on PXHCD.kext, select "Show Package Contents"

A new finder window will open with a contents folder - open MAC OS folder in the contents folder - here is LaCie's PXHCD file. Drag modbin's file from the desktop to this folder and drop it - enter password to let it happen. Close finder, repair permissions and rebuild caches. Reboot.

What's the problem?

Looks to me that it just works fine

max for usb 2 is 30mb/s as shown in the first xbench score

But on the usb 3 port you see it's going to 60mb/s

it is still a normal HD right, not a ssd?

RW

Yes, but the speed shows up as "Up to 480 Mb/sec" for both the High-Speed USB 2.0 bus AND the Super-speed bus USB 3.0 ports - it should show much hugher for the 3.0 port. Also, the total xbench score for the USB 3.0 WD drive in the 3.0 port was .2 lower than in the 2.0 port - go figure. It should do a lot better than that!

Yes, but the speed shows up as "Up to 480 Mb/sec" for both the High-Speed USB 2.0 bus AND the Super-speed bus USB 3.0 ports - it should show much hugher for the 3.0 port. Also, the total xbench score for the USB 3.0 WD drive in the 3.0 port was .2 lower than in the 2.0 port - go figure. It should do a lot better than that!

Genzai already reported that in the profiler it shows as 480mb/s

The reason why your usb 3 test shows lower results, is because your got lower results on the sequential uncached read test.

RW

I've installed the LaCie drivers, replaced the PXHCD inside the PXHCD.kext and restarted,

and USB Super-Speed bus is showing up in System Profiler.

But I still get this error message showing up in the dmesg log:

PXHCD    0x82e98000::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[152d]

I'm trying this with a Vantec USB 3.0 Hard drive dock, and using a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard.

The dock works fine at USB 2 speeds plugged into one of the USB 2 ports.

Any ideas?

Genzai already reported that in the profiler it shows as 480mb/s

The reason why your usb 3 test shows lower results, is because your got lower results on the sequential uncached read test.

RW

Granted, but given the "theoretical" speeds I would expect more. Even the AJA Test System only reports a doubling of speed. I guess I'm just a speed junky, lol.

post-560169-1289167744_thumb.png post-560169-1289167760_thumb.png

USB 2.0 . USB 3.0

Granted, but given the "theoretical" speeds I would expect more. Even the AJA Test System only reports a doubling of speed. I guess I'm just a speed junky, lol.

post-560169-1289167744_thumb.png post-560169-1289167760_thumb.png

USB 2.0 . USB 3.0

Does the system sleep after plugging in the USB 3.0 device?

-Stell

Does the system sleep after plugging in the USB 3.0 device?

-Stell

I don't let the system sleep, in general - I usually shut it down because the LG drive wakes it up anyway. Let me unplug it and I'll get back to you.

I don't let the system sleep, in general - I usually shut it down because the LG drive wakes it up anyway. Let me unplug it and I'll get back to you.

OK, unplugged LG drive and booted back up. Double check energy settings - yep everything checked to shut off when it goes to sleep. Put it to sleep from the apple / sleep button. Worked fine. Went to kitchen, filled quart jar with handle on it with new ice, add water and a bit of lemon juice for flavour, turn on tv and watch tv guide scroll awhile to see what's on - nope, nothing on worth watching, as usual - waited about 15 minutes - that's should be enough time. Walked back to desk and rolled the ball in the Logitech trackball and the system woke up. Drive still shows on desktop, opens with finder - yep seems everything works OK. Course, that could just be my system, too. I would say that if sleep works for you now without the kext file and USB 3.0 drive, it ought to work with the kext file and the USB 3.0 drive plugged in.

OK, unplugged LG drive and booted back up. Double check energy settings - yep everything checked to shut off when it goes to sleep. Put it to sleep from the apple / sleep button. Worked fine. Went to kitchen, filled quart jar with handle on it with new ice, add water and a bit of lemon juice for flavour, turn on tv and watch tv guide scroll awhile to see what's on - nope, nothing on worth watching, as usual - waited about 15 minutes - that's should be enough time. Walked back to desk and rolled the ball in the Logitech trackball and the system woke up. Drive still shows on desktop, opens with finder - yep seems everything works OK. Course, that could just be my system, too. I would say that if sleep works for you now without the kext file and USB 3.0 drive, it ought to work with the kext file and the USB 3.0 drive plugged in.

Do you think you'd be able to send me your ioreg and possibly the messages from your console when the system went to sleep/woke.

Thanks

-Stell

I've installed the LaCie drivers, replaced the PXHCD inside the PXHCD.kext and restarted,

and USB Super-Speed bus is showing up in System Profiler.

But I still get this error message showing up in the dmesg log:

PXHCD 0x82e98000::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[152d]

I'm trying this with a Vantec USB 3.0 Hard drive dock, and using a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard.

The dock works fine at USB 2 speeds plugged into one of the USB 2 ports.

Any ideas?

It's working very well for me now with a no-name PCI-Card and an external USB 3.0 HD.

The missing hint was that I had to rebuild the cache (used pfix for that).

Thanks!!

usb3.jpg

Just wanted to add that I downloaded and ran pfix after seeing this post, and it's working for me now as well - the USB dock works plugged into the USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard and I managed 103.0MB/sec write and 104.8MB/sec read testing with AJA System Test.

I just finished tests with Modbin's patched PXHCD in the LaCie kext. I am using a CalDigit USB3 card.

The key ( as stated by dasdasein... Thank You!) was to rebuild the cache using pfix v 3.1 after repairing permissions.

All tests were done with a Seagate ST3500630AS 1.5TB drive using AJA System Test

32-bit Kernel

SATA tests were done with the drive connected to motherboard SATA

USB2 tests were done with the drive connected to motherboard USB2

FW400 tests were done with the drive connected to motherboard FW400

USB3 tests were done with the drive connected to CalDigit card

The USB2 and FW400 external drive case is a MacAlly G-S350SUA

The USB3 external drive case is a MacAlly NSA-S350U3

USB3 wins by a large margin! (I will have to move some things around to test FW800, but I will post that when I can)

Summary:

USB3 121.7 MB/s Write 127.6 MB/s Read

SATA 65.8 MB/s Write 68.9 MB/s Read

FW400 30.4 MB/s Write 39.8 MB/s Read

USB2 31.8 MB/s Write 37.2 MB/s Read

Special Thanks to Modbin, Cartri, and stellarola ( for getting me into hackintosh's )

post-493233-1289243046_thumb.jpg

post-493233-1289243055_thumb.jpg

post-493233-1289243068_thumb.jpg

post-493233-1289243078_thumb.jpg

I just finished tests with the Modbin's patched PXHCD in the LaCie kext. I am using a CalDigit USB3 card.

The key ( as stated by dasdasein... Thank You!) was to rebuild the cache using pfix v 3.1 after repairing permissions.

All tests were done with a Seagate St3500630AS 1.5TB drive using AJA System Test

Summary:

USB3 121.7 MB/s Write 127.6 MB/s Read

SATA 65.8 MB/s Write 68.9 MB/s Read

FW400 30.4 MB/s Write 39.8 MB/s Read

USB2 31.8 MB/s Write 37.2 MB/s Read

Special Thanks to Modbin, Cartri, and stellarola ( for getting me into hackintosh's )

That's weird, your Sata speed's are very low, they should at least be the same as Usb 3.0 when using a Sata 2 controller.

RW

Strange - I just did a test using my earlier setup... but with

the 64-bit kernel

The write for USB3 is much slower, while the read is in the same range.

USB3 66.2MB/s write 119.7 MB/s read

curious...

but then again my slower than expected SATA test speeds are also curious.

Any/all ideas welcome!