Atheros AR9285 fix for Snow Leopard - Mavericks

Andy Vandijck

155 posts in this topic

Yes, you are right, it is a matter of choices. To be honest, I don't have problem putting non-vanilla kext (meaning edited/patched kext) in /S/L/E if I have no other choices. But if I can use legacy kext for the same result, I will use it. It is much easier to managed it than editing the kext(s) file whenever we update to new version.

EDIT: As I promise earlier, this is the legacy kext I use. I didn't build/made it myself. However, I forgot where I downloaded it. Credit to the forgotten "legacy kext builder". Anyway, it is very easy to create legacy kext yourself. This is for anyone who want to use it.

LegacyAtheros.kext.zip

The super lazy/quick way is to edit the 10.6.5 IO80211Family.kext IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add this string <string>pci168c,2b</string> even quicker just download the attachment. Install to /E/E or /S/L/E rebuild mkext then reboot and enjoy

Wow, that was fast. It works!! Thanks a lot! :)

Kizwan to you as well for the Atheros legacy kext. Might come in handy. ;)

Btw. there's another thing I came across. Sometimes the Airport status icon in the menu bar is greyed out and it just says something like "no card installed"?! Then when I open Network Preferences I click a few times on the checkbox "Show AirPort status in menu bar" and the status icon appears again. Well, sometimes that doesn't work either.

Guess what, by using the fast user switch option in the menu bar "Login Window..." and logging back in definitely brings back functionality of the AirPort status menu item. Why is that? :)

Has anybody experienced similar issues?

I have repaired permissions a few times already.

Glad you found it useful Jordan2Delta.

Legacy is also Non-Vanilla as far as I'm aware, I assume you mean placing modified kexts in /E/E/

Though the whole .plist in /E/E/ is pretty cool. May try to apply this to my old Intel VE Lan.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, no. You will need to use wireless AP.

Hey, i was able to create an adhoc network and share my internet connection from my AR9285 card. Here's what i did:

DISCLAIMER first:

im not liable for any damages to electronics or to your health or any damages for that matter. im extending the first poster's disclaimer with this.

Using the RCU.exe from the first post i changed the regdomain of my card to 'GB' (even though im not in UK).

I have a better legacy fix.

This one will work for 10.6.5 (and better).

It uses DeviceMergeNub to inject the device-id and name of the device and in the AtherosFusion21Interface it also injects the IO80211Locale and IO80211CountryCode (without EEPROM mod it even works).

Change IO80211CountryCode to your country (BE, US, ...), default is X0.

Must probably be installed in /S/L/E (not sure though, haven't tested /E/E).

DeviceMergeNub_atheros.kext.zip

It uses DeviceMergeNub to inject the device-id and name of the device and in the AtherosFusion21Interface it also injects the IO80211Locale and IO80211CountryCode (without EEPROM mod it even works).

Could you make a Legacy kext for me please?

I tried to change your code to my values, but I think I made something wrong.

Here is my lspci -nn and system info I get when I change my values to original kexts.

05:01.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR922X Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0029] (rev 01)
ATHR: unknown locale: 809c

en1:
 Tipo de Placa:	AirPort Extreme  (0x168C, 0x2091)
 Versão de Firmware:	Atheros 9280: 2.1.14.5
 Locale:	Unknown
 Código do País:	CN
 Modos PHY Compatíveis:	802.11 b/g/n
 Canais Compatíveis:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Despertar Quando Sem Fio:	Compatível
 Estado:	Conectado

And this is what i did trying to make your hack work with my card.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>DeviceMergeNub</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>DeviceMergeNub V1.00, Copyright © 2010 AnV Software.</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.AnV_Software.driver.DeviceMergeNub</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>I/O Kit Driver for PCI Devices</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.00</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.00</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>Fake AirPort ID</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>
		<dict>
			<key>name</key>
			<string>pci168c,2a</string>
			<key>IOName</key>
			<string>pci168c,2a</string>
			<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
			<string>AirPort</string>
			<key>device_type</key>
			<string>AirPort</string>
			<key>model</key>
			<string>Atheros 92XX 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter</string>
			<key>device-id</key>
			<data>KgAAAA==</data>
			<key>subsystem-id</key>
			<data>jwAAAA==</data>
			<key>subsystem-vendor-id</key>
			<data>axAAAA==</data>
		</dict>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x29168C</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>100</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Fake AirPort Interface</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AtherosFusion21Interface</string>
		<dict>
			<key>IO80211Locale</key>
			<string>FCC</string>
			<key>IO80211CountryCode</key>
			<string>BR</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
<string>1.00</string>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
	<string>1.0.0b1</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
	<string>9.0.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
	<string>9.0.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
	<string>9.0.0</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
I have a better legacy fix. This one will work for 10.6.5 (and better). It uses DeviceMergeNub to inject the device-id and name of the device and in the AtherosFusion21Interface it also injects the IO80211Locale and IO80211CountryCode (without EEPROM mod it even works). Change IO80211CountryCode to your country (BE, US, ...), default is X0. Must probably be installed in /S/L/E (not sure though, haven't tested /E/E).

Thanks for this kext. :)

I am using it and hoped for a fix for my Time Capsule issue. I have added locale and country code.

My Time Capsule isn't recognized when using 802.11n. I am able to connect to Time Capsule's own AirPort network but it says no internet available. I can't access disks on Time Capsule either. Just weird! ;)

Well, this means 802.11n mode isn't working correctly, because everything works very well on my MacBook.

Does anybody know a solution for this or can somebody tell me how to tell my network card not using the 'n' mode? :)

Btw. the issues with my grayed out menu items and saying "no card installed" was the fault of an haxie from Unsanity. Just by uninstalling APE everything is ok.

Hello, I'm new here, and a total non-expert!, please bear with me. Sometime ago I managed for OS 10.6.2 to recognize my Atheros 9285, which works fine with Windows, though it wouldn't connect because of the Country Code issue. I don't even remember how I did it. Then Mac OS X stopped to recognize the card. Now I upgraded to 10.6.5 , and I've installed all the kexts imaginable from this thread, but nothing: Airport doesn't even recognize there is a card installed. It doesn't show up in System Configuration. Please somebody help me!: What kexts do I need?

IO...family

AtheroFix ?

LegacyAtheros ?

DeviceMergeNub ?

In which order? What else do I need to do? Edit one of those .plist files? My LAN ethernet connection is in en1 , and I seem to remember that Airport has to be in en0, right? Is there a clear guide about this somewhere? I understand most of you know a lot about this, but I really get lost!

Thank you!

... What kexts do I need? IO...family AtheroFix ? LegacyAtheros ? DeviceMergeNub ? In which order? What else do I need to do? Edit one of those .plist files? My LAN ethernet connection is in en1 , and I seem to remember that Airport has to be in en0, right? Is there a clear guide about this somewhere? I understand most of you know a lot about this, but I really get lost! Thank you!

I only use DeviceMergeNub.kext and it works as good as editing IO80211Family.kext before.

I put DeviceMergeNub.kext into Extras/Extensions

Make sure to uninstall/remove all other kexts or modifications you have done so far.

Unfortunately the 802.11n (faster than 802.11g) mode isn't working for most if not all people?!

802.11g/b should work though.

Sorry, I don't know if it has to be en0 or something like that.

Good luck! :wacko:

I've got an Atheros AR9287 (vedor/device id: 168c:002e). I tried to add the device id to the AirPortAtheros21.kext, but that didn't work. Now I tried Andy's DeviceMergeNub_atheros.kext, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome!

I only use DeviceMergeNub.kext and it works as good as editing IO80211Family.kext before.

I put DeviceMergeNub.kext into Extras/Extensions

Make sure to uninstall/remove all other kexts or modifications you have done so far.

Unfortunately the 802.11n (faster than 802.11g) mode isn't working for most if not all people?!

802.11g/b should work though.

Sorry, I don't know if it has to be en0 or something like that.

Good luck! ;)

On a real Mac the ethernet interface is en0.

The AirPort card is set up as en1.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys.. i recently have more success with rebranding.. however i have unkown locale in 10.5.8 and in 10.6.x i get same and unknown country code.

where can i get steps to make legacy kext. i been searching but all i find is this thread.

edit: found DeviceMergeNub for _DSM style injection, Injecting values into PCI devices with kext

i think i got it. testing for 10.5.8 Airport atheros IBM id 1014 (works in plist.. testing with this instead)

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>Fake AirPort ID</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string> IOPCIDevice </string>
		<dict>
			<key>name</key>
			<string>pci168c,1014</string>
			<key>IOName</key>
			<string>pci168c,1014</string>
			<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
			<string>AirPort</string>
			<key>device_type</key>
			<string>AirPort</string>
		</dict>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x1014168C</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>100</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Fake AirPort Interface</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AtherosM35abInterface</string>
		<dict>
			<key>IO80211Locale</key>
			<string>FCC</string>
			<key>IO80211CountryCode</key>
			<string>US</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
<string>1.00</string>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
	<string>1.0.0b1</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
	<string>9.0.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
	<string>9.0.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
	<string>9.0.0</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

but i think i have this wrong so i edited out to see if it works. and it hasnt

<key>device-id</key>
			<data>KgAAAA==</data>
			<key>subsystem-id</key>
			<data>jwAAAA==</data>
			<key>subsystem-vendor-id</key>
			<data>axAAAA==</data>

how do i get this values converted ?

its for atheros ibm id 1014 Subvendor ID 1014 Subdevide ID 058A i want to inject.

everytime i update i have to add to info.plist. thanks.

btw andy the bootloader fix last week is nice! T7500 on MBP31 smbios.plist working nice! and loads fast with fakesmc 3

its ar5bxb6 a/b/g no n. i do have ar9282 with n but i hardly worry about it cause i need older atheros for older live cd with no drivers for new ar928x (old madwifi)

if you want n get a bcm94321 with n aka dell wireless 1505

Thanks for your advice, LatinMcGyver75

I run a quick search and found this from a user called " BuildSmart":

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...t51725-150.html

Also, having the correct product and vendor ID's don't always make a card work, specifically in the case of wifi, for example, those with BCM94321/BCM94322 based cards may not achieve full functionality and connection speed in OS X because the driver is selected based on the subsystem ID's so having the correct subsystem ID's is also important if you want a connection speed greater than 130mbp.

So even if I got a bcm94322 chip on the dell wireless 1505 chances are due to an incorrect subsystem ID 802.11n still wouldn't work.

Getting the right subsystem ID or pretending to be so by using DevieMergeNub.kext might do the trick. Or am I wrong?

I'll investigate asap.

correct. if u can convert the data like i posted.. i need to make 168c:1014 subvendor 1014:058a conversion into devicemergenub. all i need to do is convert to hex ? not sure.

altho even with subvendor it might not get n speed.

u can also use dsdt i think for _DSM injection of subvendor.

search for "we want your id's" at projectosx

EDIT: i got the wll4080 running nice.. now for the aw-ne772 AR928x i ran the comwave drivers and ran the RCU tool :) changed to fcc1 no go fcc2 no go. then changed to 0x64 and it shows wireless again.. now if i could conect :) timesout. but it did work once.. when i had the other older wll4080. then switched out. on boot it was connected.. then rebooted and no go. was changing regions again..

i wish i had more access to the eeprom in ar928x to see the table like on older ath5k eeprom table i was able to change section b8 far right 0xbf FROM (0008 in chart ) to 0010 and it worked!.. first i tried 00 it out. and showed no signals. so i was going to put ff.. then i realized fcc is 10 on the list

on the madwifi shows its 16 for FCC.. but 0x10 is ? 16 :) hmm what to try next hmm

ok the flash tool works.. 0x0 works with the rcu.exe ! in the AW-NE772 says FCC US yay!

.. the above post was reffereing to comparison of old atheros ar5bxb6 and this AR928x.

1/2 second and connected to wep. testing N if neighbor lets me.

so to summarize it for everyone. there is 2 methods depending on chipset. if its new AR928x use rcu. if its old use ath_info.

btw the Devicemergenub.. cute but the FCC and US addon does not do jack !!. it goes straight to the radio to sniff a 80211D beacon.

reason im sure is -v told me it never connected.. it was random. soo i did the 0x0 and it connected FIRST TIME and under 1 second.

good luck all.

now if i could just change sub-vendor ids :) wish i knew how. dont know if its another windows based prog or not.

hi andy

is there hope with ar5007g

i added to dsdt

Device (ARPT)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00060000)
				Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0B, 
					0x05
				})
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0C)
						{
							"AAPL,slot-name", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"AirPort"
							}, 
							"device-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 
							"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"AirPort"
							}, 
							"model", 
							Buffer (0x35)
							{
								"Atheros 5007 G 8802.11 b/g Wireless Network Adapter"
							}, 
							"subsystem-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x86, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 
							"subsystem-vendor-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

also edited kexts and added my id

but kexts failed to load

Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: ath_dev_attach[3674]: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: ath_attach[3889] : ath_dev_attach Failed 
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-424.14.5/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:962] load failed
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: ath_dev_attach[3182]: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: ath_attach[3625] : ath_dev_attach Failed 
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-422.19.10/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:1159] load failed

thanks

i found a working eeprom dump and write tool for windows for AR928x not just AR9285 with patched drivers to let it write :P

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php...f87db9cb450aa5a

alternate link in case it goes down. http://www.filedropper.com/atheros928xeepromtool

also. after i had AR9281 AW-NE772 working in 10.6.0 with regdomain 0x0.. updated combo to 10.6.5 and now its back to its usual problems.. sees wifi . connection timed out tho. did update to 10.6.6 and same.

but in 10.5.8 the ar5bxb6 wll4080 is reliable 100% .. every reboot it works. but in 10.6.2+ add to AirPort.21.kext info.plist

im sure apple is making it harder for us.

i think they make issues but not disable us totally for publicity. ( give them enough problems so they buy a mac eventually)

hi andy

is there hope with ar5007g

i added to dsdt

Device (ARPT)
			 {
				 Name (_ADR, 0x00060000)
				 Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
				 {
					 0x0B, 
					 0x05
				 })
				 {
					 Store (Package (0x0C)
						 {
							 "AAPL,slot-name", 
							 Buffer (0x08)
							 {
								 "AirPort"
							 }, 
							 "device-id", 
							 Buffer (0x04)
							 {
								 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							 }, 
							 "device_type", 
							 Buffer (0x08)
							 {
								 "AirPort"
							 }, 
							 "model", 
							 Buffer (0x35)
							 {
								 "Atheros 5007 G 8802.11 b/g Wireless Network Adapter"
							 }, 
							 "subsystem-id", 
							 Buffer (0x04)
							 {
								 0x86, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							 }, 
							 "subsystem-vendor-id", 
							 Buffer (0x04)
							 {
								 0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
							 }
						 }, Local0)
					 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					 Return (Local0)
				 }
			 }

also edited kexts and added my id

but kexts failed to load

Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: ath_dev_attach[3674]: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: ath_attach[3889] : ath_dev_attach Failed 
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-424.14.5/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:962] load failed
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: ath_dev_attach[3182]: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: ath_attach[3625] : ath_dev_attach Failed 
Jan 13 21:57:12 localhost kernel[0]: start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-422.19.10/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:1159] load failed

thanks

i just rebranded ar5bxb63 and had same issue. it depends on the rom structure. yours isnt good.

get a broadcom and your problems are over.

• 2 weeks later...

i was playing around further and wondering why it said only Country Code US but Locale unknown . set to 0x6A and it gave ROW so then i set to 0x00 . then i had idea to use a combination of both RCU. then use different Atheros Eprom Tool i posted with read write driver then dump rom and set to 0x64.

now it shows both FCC and US but i think i have mem buffer issues or irq conflict as it times out.

EDIT: HPET IRQ's were crossing over. causing timeout

i checked in ioreg and my irq's are all out of whack. my sata isnt 14 and my PATA isnt 15! instead.. usb has them. so i figured usb can handle hpet and i saw also in ioreg hpet was using 2 instead of 0 so i changed 0 to 2 in dsdt and added 15 under 11

seems leo 10.5 is more tolerant of irq sharing than snow as it connected but was slow at times.

look more at reg and countrycodes http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices/lxr/h...11.8?v=2.6.11.8

I have wake-from-sleep problems. Atheros is not an integrated chip but on a PCIe card from TP-Link. I add DSDT fix under the right pcie slot and it is somewhat working, but it cannot wake from sleep. It gives me this error in kernel.log

kernel[0]: pci restore waited for ARPT (55273) fail
kernel[0]: ----- ar5416Reset[192] ---- Unable to set powe mode ----
kernel[0]: ath_open: unable to reset hardware; hal status 4294967167 (freq 2472 flags 0xc0)
kernel[0]: ath_reset: unable to reset hardware; hal status 4294967167
kernel[0]: ath_do_pwrworkaround: unable to reset hardware; hal status 4294967167
kernel[0]: ath_open: unable to reset hardware; hal status 4294967167 (freq 2472 flags 0xc0)

Device under PCIe slot

Device (MRP9)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00090000)
			Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (0x0F)
			}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x09, 
					0x04
				})
			}

Device (ARPT)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x0B, 
						0x05
					})
				}
				{
					Store (Package (0x0C)
						{
							"AAPL,slot-name", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"AirPort"
							}, 

"device-id", 
							Buffer ()
							{
								0x2A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							},

"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"AirPort"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x34)
							{
								"Atheros 9285 8802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter"
							}, 

"subsystem-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

OperationRegion (IPE9, PCI_Config, Zero, 0xFF)
			Scope (\)
			{
				Field (\_SB.PCI0.MRP9.IPE9, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
					IVI9,   16, 
							Offset (0xB2), 
					IRS9,   8
				}
			}

Name (IPC9, Package (0x04)
			{
				Package (0x04)
				{
					0xFFFF, 
					Zero,