• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

kerr

kerr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok, but is there a fix for this at all ?

Jordan2Delta

Jordan2Delta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Is Andy's patch (see first post on this thread) working for the final version of 10.6.5 ?

I am trying to patch my dsdt.aml, but I guess I am doing something wrong. It doesn't work for me (yet).

Adam.co.jp

Adam.co.jp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
The super lazy/quick way is to edit the 10.6.5 IO80211Family.kext

IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and add this string

<string>pci168c,2b</string>

even quicker just download the attachment.

Install to /E/E or /S/L/E rebuild mkext then reboot and enjoy

Attached Files

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
You also can use legacy kext (plist only) in Extra folder. I'm using legacy kext right now. I'll upload later when I get home.

Adam.co.jp

Adam.co.jp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

You also can use legacy kext (plist only) in Extra folder. I'm using legacy kext right now. I'll upload later when I get home.

Why use legacy when you can just one line edit the original 10.6.5 kext.

JBraddock

JBraddock

Ph.D (Can) in Human Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Why use legacy when you can just one line edit the original 10.6.5 kext.

To keep S/L/E as vanilla as possible and not to deal with the same process after every osx update.
It is a matter of choice I guess.

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
Yes, you are right, it is a matter of choices. To be honest, I don't have problem putting non-vanilla kext (meaning edited/patched kext) in /S/L/E if I have no other choices. But if I can use legacy kext for the same result, I will use it. It is much easier to managed it than editing the kext(s) file whenever we update to new version.

EDIT: As I promise earlier, this is the legacy kext I use. I didn't build/made it myself. However, I forgot where I downloaded it. Credit to the forgotten "legacy kext builder". Anyway, it is very easy to create legacy kext yourself. This is for anyone who want to use it.
Attached File  LegacyAtheros.kext.zip   1.86KB   496 downloads

Jordan2Delta

Jordan2Delta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

The super lazy/quick way is to edit the 10.6.5 IO80211Family.kext IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add this string <string>pci168c,2b</string> even quicker just download the attachment. Install to /E/E or /S/L/E rebuild mkext then reboot and enjoy

Wow, that was fast. It works!! Thanks a lot! :)
Kizwan to you as well for the Atheros legacy kext. Might come in handy. ;)

Btw. there's another thing I came across. Sometimes the Airport status icon in the menu bar is greyed out and it just says something like "no card installed"?! Then when I open Network Preferences I click a few times on the checkbox "Show AirPort status in menu bar" and the status icon appears again. Well, sometimes that doesn't work either.

Guess what, by using the fast user switch option in the menu bar "Login Window..." and logging back in definitely brings back functionality of the AirPort status menu item. Why is that? :)
Has anybody experienced similar issues?

I have repaired permissions a few times already.

Adam.co.jp

Adam.co.jp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Glad you found it useful Jordan2Delta.

Legacy is also Non-Vanilla as far as I'm aware, I assume you mean placing modified kexts in /E/E/

Though the whole .plist in /E/E/ is pretty cool. May try to apply this to my old Intel VE Lan.

J.B.

J.B.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Sorry, no. You will need to use wireless AP.

Hey, i was able to create an adhoc network and share my internet connection from my AR9285 card. Here's what i did:

DISCLAIMER first:
im not liable for any damages to electronics or to your health or any damages for that matter. im extending the first poster's disclaimer with this.

Using the RCU.exe from the first post i changed the regdomain of my card to 'GB' (even though im not in UK).

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,591 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...
I have a better legacy fix.
This one will work for 10.6.5 (and better).
It uses DeviceMergeNub to inject the device-id and name of the device and in the AtherosFusion21Interface it also injects the IO80211Locale and IO80211CountryCode (without EEPROM mod it even works).
Change IO80211CountryCode to your country (BE, US, ...), default is X0.
Must probably be installed in /S/L/E (not sure though, haven't tested /E/E).

Attached Files

Drfrag

Drfrag

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

It uses DeviceMergeNub to inject the device-id and name of the device and in the AtherosFusion21Interface it also injects the IO80211Locale and IO80211CountryCode (without EEPROM mod it even works).

Could you make a Legacy kext for me please?
I tried to change your code to my values, but I think I made something wrong.
Here is my lspci -nn and system info I get when I change my values to original kexts.

05:01.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR922X Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0029] (rev 01)ATHR: unknown locale: 809cen1:  Tipo de Placa:	AirPort Extreme  (0x168C, 0x2091)  Versão de Firmware:	Atheros 9280: 2.1.14.5  Locale:	Unknown  Código do País:	CN  Modos PHY Compatíveis:	802.11 b/g/n  Canais Compatíveis:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Despertar Quando Sem Fio:	Compatível  Estado:	Conectado

And this is what i did trying to make your hack work with my card.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0"><dict>	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>	<string>English</string>	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>	<string>DeviceMergeNub</string>	<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>	<string>DeviceMergeNub V1.00, Copyright © 2010 AnV Software.</string>	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>	<string>com.AnV_Software.driver.DeviceMergeNub</string>	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>	<string>6.0</string>	<key>CFBundleName</key>	<string>I/O Kit Driver for PCI Devices</string>	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>	<string>KEXT</string>	<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>	<string>1.00</string>	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>	<string>????</string>	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>	<string>1.00</string>	<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>	<dict>		<key>Fake AirPort ID</key>		<dict>			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>			<string>com.AnV_Software.driver.DeviceMergeNub</string>			<key>IOClass</key>			<string>DeviceMergeNub</string>			<key>IOProviderClass</key>			<string>IOPCIDevice</string>			<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>			<dict>				<key>name</key>				<string>pci168c,2a</string>				<key>IOName</key>				<string>pci168c,2a</string>				<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>				<string>AirPort</string>				<key>device_type</key>				<string>AirPort</string>				<key>model</key>				<string>Atheros 92XX 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter</string>				<key>device-id</key>				<data>KgAAAA==</data>				<key>subsystem-id</key>				<data>jwAAAA==</data>				<key>subsystem-vendor-id</key>				<data>axAAAA==</data>			</dict>			<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>			<string>0x29168C</string>			<key>IOProbeScore</key>			<integer>100</integer>		</dict>		<key>Fake AirPort Interface</key>		<dict>			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>			<string>com.AnV_Software.driver.DeviceMergeNub</string>			<key>IOClass</key>			<string>DeviceMergeNub</string>			<key>IOProviderClass</key>			<string>AtherosFusion21Interface</string>			<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>			<dict>				<key>IO80211Locale</key>				<string>FCC</string>				<key>IO80211CountryCode</key>				<string>BR</string>			</dict>		</dict>	</dict>	<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>	<string>1.00</string>	<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>	<dict>		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>		<string>1.0.0b1</string>		<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>		<string>9.0.0</string>		<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>		<string>9.0.0</string>		<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>		<string>9.0.0</string>	</dict>	<key>OSBundleRequired</key>	<string>Root</string></dict></plist>

Thank you!

Jordan2Delta

Jordan2Delta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I have a better legacy fix. This one will work for 10.6.5 (and better). It uses DeviceMergeNub to inject the device-id and name of the device and in the AtherosFusion21Interface it also injects the IO80211Locale and IO80211CountryCode (without EEPROM mod it even works). Change IO80211CountryCode to your country (BE, US, ...), default is X0. Must probably be installed in /S/L/E (not sure though, haven't tested /E/E).

Thanks for this kext. :)
I am using it and hoped for a fix for my Time Capsule issue. I have added locale and country code.

My Time Capsule isn't recognized when using 802.11n. I am able to connect to Time Capsule's own AirPort network but it says no internet available. I can't access disks on Time Capsule either. Just weird! ;)

Well, this means 802.11n mode isn't working correctly, because everything works very well on my MacBook.

Does anybody know a solution for this or can somebody tell me how to tell my network card not using the 'n' mode? :)

Btw. the issues with my grayed out menu items and saying "no card installed" was the fault of an haxie from Unsanity. Just by uninstalling APE everything is ok.

hazul

hazul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, I'm new here, and a total non-expert!, please bear with me. Sometime ago I managed for OS 10.6.2 to recognize my Atheros 9285, which works fine with Windows, though it wouldn't connect because of the Country Code issue. I don't even remember how I did it. Then Mac OS X stopped to recognize the card. Now I upgraded to 10.6.5 , and I've installed all the kexts imaginable from this thread, but nothing: Airport doesn't even recognize there is a card installed. It doesn't show up in System Configuration. Please somebody help me!: What kexts do I need?

IO...family
AtheroFix ?
LegacyAtheros ?
DeviceMergeNub ?

In which order? What else do I need to do? Edit one of those .plist files? My LAN ethernet connection is in en1 , and I seem to remember that Airport has to be in en0, right? Is there a clear guide about this somewhere? I understand most of you know a lot about this, but I really get lost!

Thank you!

Jordan2Delta

Jordan2Delta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

... What kexts do I need? IO...family AtheroFix ? LegacyAtheros ? DeviceMergeNub ? In which order? What else do I need to do? Edit one of those .plist files? My LAN ethernet connection is in en1 , and I seem to remember that Airport has to be in en0, right? Is there a clear guide about this somewhere? I understand most of you know a lot about this, but I really get lost! Thank you!

I only use DeviceMergeNub.kext and it works as good as editing IO80211Family.kext before.
I put DeviceMergeNub.kext into Extras/Extensions

Make sure to uninstall/remove all other kexts or modifications you have done so far.

Unfortunately the 802.11n (faster than 802.11g) mode isn't working for most if not all people?!
802.11g/b should work though.

Sorry, I don't know if it has to be en0 or something like that.

Good luck! :wacko:

Cybex

Cybex

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
I've got an Atheros AR9287 (vedor/device id: 168c:002e). I tried to add the device id to the AirPortAtheros21.kext, but that didn't work. Now I tried Andy's DeviceMergeNub_atheros.kext, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome!

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,591 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

I only use DeviceMergeNub.kext and it works as good as editing IO80211Family.kext before.
I put DeviceMergeNub.kext into Extras/Extensions

Make sure to uninstall/remove all other kexts or modifications you have done so far.

Unfortunately the 802.11n (faster than 802.11g) mode isn't working for most if not all people?!
802.11g/b should work though.

Sorry, I don't know if it has to be en0 or something like that.

Good luck! ;)

On a real Mac the ethernet interface is en0.
The AirPort card is set up as en1.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
hi guys.. i recently have more success with rebranding.. however i have unkown locale in 10.5.8 and in 10.6.x i get same and unknown country code.
where can i get steps to make legacy kext. i been searching but all i find is this thread.
edit: found DeviceMergeNub for _DSM style injection, Injecting values into PCI devices with kext
i think i got it. testing for 10.5.8 Airport atheros IBM id 1014 (works in plist.. testing with this instead)
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>	<dict>		<key>Fake AirPort ID</key>		<dict>			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>			<string>com.AnV_Software.driver.DeviceMergeNub</string>			<key>IOClass</key>			<string>DeviceMergeNub</string>			<key>IOProviderClass</key>			<string> IOPCIDevice </string>			<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>			<dict>				<key>name</key>				<string>pci168c,1014</string>				<key>IOName</key>				<string>pci168c,1014</string>				<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>				<string>AirPort</string>				<key>device_type</key>				<string>AirPort</string>			</dict>			<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>			<string>0x1014168C</string>			<key>IOProbeScore</key>			<integer>100</integer>		</dict>		<key>Fake AirPort Interface</key>		<dict>			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>			<string>com.AnV_Software.driver.DeviceMergeNub</string>			<key>IOClass</key>			<string>DeviceMergeNub</string>			<key>IOProviderClass</key>			<string>AtherosM35abInterface</string>			<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>			<dict>				<key>IO80211Locale</key>				<string>FCC</string>				<key>IO80211CountryCode</key>				<string>US</string>			</dict>		</dict>	<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>	<string>1.00</string>	<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>	<dict>		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>		<string>1.0.0b1</string>		<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>		<string>9.0.0</string>		<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>		<string>9.0.0</string>		<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>		<string>9.0.0</string>	</dict>	<key>OSBundleRequired</key>	<string>Root</string></dict></plist>
but i think i have this wrong so i edited out to see if it works. and it hasnt
<key>device-id</key>
				<data>KgAAAA==</data>
				<key>subsystem-id</key>
				<data>jwAAAA==</data>
				<key>subsystem-vendor-id</key>
				<data>axAAAA==</data>
how do i get this values converted ?
its for atheros ibm id 1014 Subvendor ID 1014 Subdevide ID 058A i want to inject.
everytime i update i have to add to info.plist. thanks.

btw andy the bootloader fix last week is nice! T7500 on MBP31 smbios.plist working nice! and loads fast with fakesmc 3

Jordan2Delta

Jordan2Delta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Sorry, I can't help you with your problem, but could you please try if 802.11n mode works? Does it have increased speed compared to 802.11g?

Your method might open the doors for 802.11n

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
its ar5bxb6 a/b/g no n. i do have ar9282 with n but i hardly worry about it cause i need older atheros for older live cd with no drivers for new ar928x (old madwifi)
if you want n get a bcm94321 with n aka dell wireless 1505

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy