ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

In the last couple of days, I was rewriting ATI support in Chameleon, and had a few testers, but I need to make sure it works on most supported cards.

First I would like to outline a few things:

• This isn't a HOW TO get your card working, this is a request for testing.
  • Don't ask how to install the booter, how to use or add a given booter flag or how to run an update, if you don't know how to do that yourself, then this isn't for you, yet, learn that elsewhere, and you're more than welcome here.
  • I don't take responsibility for any damage this may cause, so take your precautions before you use this.

Requirements:

• An ATI Radeon HD6xxx, HD5xxx or HD4xxx card.
  • Latest Snow Leopard with the latest Graphics update.

How and what to report:

• Disable any kind of enabler, injector or device-properties you're currently using.
  • Test every port, and any possible combination; test each port alone, then two ports, then three.. etc, to the best you're capable of.
  • Post the output from: sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem.
  • Save an ioreg dump (Save from the File menu of IORegistryExplorer) each time you try a different port and/or combination.
  • Report any observations or comments.
  • Include a screenshot of the Graphics tab from System Profiler when reporting.

Multi-Display on Evergreen (Radeon HD5000 series):

evergreen.png

Check out this wikipedia page for more information.

This booter has a new key; "AtiFb" "AtiConfig", if one would like to try a different framebuffer outputs and card configs;

Alopias

Alouatta

Baboon

Cardinal

Caretta

Colobus

Douc

Eulemur

Flicker

Galago

Gliff

Hoolock

Hypoprion

Iago

Kakapo

Kipunji

Lamna

Langur

Megalodon

Motmot

Nomascus

Orangutan

Peregrine

Quail

Raven

Shrike

Sphyrna

Triakis

Uakari

Vervet

Zonalis

Pithecia

Bulrushes

Cattail

Hydrilla

Duckweed

Fanwort

Elodea

Kudzu

Gibba

Lotus

Ipomoea

Mangabey

Muskgrass

Juncus

If the card is not primary, then you need a <vendorid>_<deviceid>_<subsysid>.rom under /Extra.

Currently tested and working cards:

ATI Radeon HD5970 ("deviceid and disabling of the second GPU needs to be done in the driver files", thanks to Spanky Deluxe).

ATI Radeon HD5870

ATI Radeon HD5770

ATI Radeon HD4890

ATI Radeon HD4870

And more...

If your card isn't fully working, check bcc9's

To Trauma who started adding HD5xxx support, and to FKA (FormerlyKnownAs), joe75 and tmongkol for their great feedback.

To ^Andy^ for his efforts on the HD6xxx support.

boot.gz

Changes:

- "AtiFb" is now "AtiConfig" which I think describes better its use.

- The ROM image under /Extra should be named <vendorid>_<deviceid>_<subsysid>.rom; Radeon HD5870 Eyefinity6 is 1002_6898_0b001002.rom for example.

- New or already existing cards with the correct "AtiConfig" (thanks to your feedback).

boot.gz

Changes: patch commit revision 700 (09.01.2011)

- Added new card config names from the latest ATIFramebuffer.kext.

- Added few more supported cards.

- Added ROM Revision info. (untested)

- Replaced VBIOS with ATYbinimage to avoid a conflict with the NVIDIA Enabler.

- Fixed a logic mistake in getSMBOemProcessorBusSpeed().

boot.gz

Changes: patch commit revision 785:788 (11.05.2011)

- Added support for a few HD6xxx cards (Thanks ^Andy^).

- Merged to trunk.

No binary for now.

• Like 1

This booter has a new key; "AtiFb", if one would like to try a different framebuffer.
This is very nice feature.

I realy hope you are going to release the source. I am desirous of adding this to my customized PC_EFI 10.6. :(

I'll test your booter with my HD4650 once I am home... :)

@ Kabyl

Thanks for "boot." I like it. ;)

I tested both HD5770 and HD4870 by changing a graphic card for testing. They're working fine.

boot_ioreg.zip

HD5770

post-93383-1284301196_thumb.jpg

I also tested the key of "AtiFb" and I think it's working. ;) I tested to boot HD5770, using AtiFb=Baboon and it's OK, however; I had to connect DVI2VGA dongle to the other DVI port and got only one port. So, this Baboon is not good enough for my HD5770.

I tested both HD5770 and HD4870 by changing a graphic card for testing. They're working fine.

ATI Radeon HD4870 added to the list, thanks again, tmongkol :)

I also tested the key of "AtiFb" and I think it's working. :) I tested to boot HD5770, using AtiFb=Baboon and it's OK, however; I had to connect DVI2VGA dongle to the other DVI port and got only one port. So, this Baboon is not good enough for my HD5770.

It's "Vervet" by default.

Would love to help you guys test, I know how to load booters and all that lovely stuff. What I don't know is how to get an ioreg dump. If you would like to give some instructions on that part then happy to assist. If the universe is going my way maybe this can finally get dual screen working on the 4650 (1gb version).

thanks Kabyl

i am was going to ask you for changing frambuffer by key on boot plist

and you did it

it will solve problems for people that their card dont work with default frambuffer

so i made topic with 30 boot file :D lol crazy idea tired me

FormerlyKnownAs told me also you solved also vbios problem :(

can you share source ;)

Would it be useful to also add the Make/Model No of the GFX cards that people have running? From the other threads I though people were having different luck with Sapphire vs XFX vs Gigabyte cards etc.

I will follow this thread for solutions but not I'm quite advanced enough yet to do some real testing - If I do I'll go do some research.

Cheers for putting this together !

Would love to help you guys test, I know how to load booters and all that lovely stuff. What I don't know is how to get an ioreg dump. If you would like to give some instructions on that part then happy to assist. If the universe is going my way maybe this can finally get dual screen working on the 4650 (1gb version).

hey, errandwolfe. For the dump you just need to click File and then Save in IORegistryExplorer

Notes:

- Once the testing is finished, I'll submit the patch to my branch and then eventually to trunk, please be patient!

- The booter is based on my branch, so it includes the newly rewritten SMBIOS patcher.

boot.gz

Very nice Kabyl! works pretty good for me, and no need for a ROM file!

Can't wait for the code release. thanks! :rolleyes:

Hello,

I've tried with ATI4850 Gainward 512 GS but i got a KP.

Actually no problem with CHam2rc5 rev518 as bootloader with original biosrom.

What do you mean with key AtiFb

do i have to try with that key in bootplist and no videorom ?

Thanks for reply

@ Kabyl

Thank you for this - very impressed.

Card is ATI R5770 Vapor-X and IOreg attached with Samsung XL2370 connected with DVI and same plus Philips Monitor connected via DVI and another IO Reg with the Philips connected via HDMI.

Confirm this is the best yet very stable using default vervet FB.Might be my imagination but the display is noticeably sharper....

Also tested FBAti with different frame buffer and that appears to work as well although I appear to get black screens with all but vervet, although still yet to test all.

Anybody who is interested my com.apple.boot.list

<key>Default Partition</key> 

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiFb</key>

<string>Vervet</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string> 

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default2</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>No</string>

Thanks again. Brgds/TonyD

Archive.zip

I

This booter has a new key; "AtiFb", if one would like to try a different framebuffer.

If the card is not primary, then you need a <vendorid>_<deviceid>.rom under /Extra.

This is awesome! Thank you so much sir! You have done SO much for our community, you are certainly a legend; and your many hours of work are GReaTLy appreciated!!!

I use two ATI video cards. So the AtiFb key assigns a new FB only to the first video card (lowest PCI address), correct? Do you plan to expand this project to include "non primary" cards? Just curious...

Thanks again!

5970 works just as before with Trauma's boot9.

Mini display port is still a no go (as it has been with ATY_init, updated boot files and both mac mini and SL graphics driver update drivers so not surprising).

Obviously the devid and disabling of the second gpu still needs to be done in the driver files.

Thanks, HD5970 added to the list.

@ Kabyl

Thank you for this - very impressed.

Card is ATI R5770 Vapor-X and IOreg attached with Samsung XL2370 connected with DVI and same plus Philips Monitor connected via DVI and another IO Reg with the Philips connected via HDMI.

Confirm this is the best yet very stable using default vervet FB.Might be my imagination but the display is noticeably sharper....

Also tested FBAti with different frame buffer and that appears to work as well although I appear to get black screens with all but vervet, although still yet to test all.

Anybody who is interested my com.apple.boot.list

<key>Default Partition</key> 

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiFb</key>

<string>Vervet</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string> 

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default2</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>No</string>

Thanks again. Brgds/TonyD

Thank you, and Vervet is the default for your card, so there is no need to use AtiFb.

This is awesome! Thank you so much sir! You have done SO much for our community, you are certainly a legend; and your many hours of work are GReaTLy appreciated!!!

I use two ATI video cards. So the AtiFb key assigns a new FB only to the first video card (lowest PCI address), correct? Do you plan to expand this project to include "non primary" cards? Just curious...

Thanks again!

The same code is run on each card, so AtiFb would be applied to both.

This key is purely for testing purposes to find the best FB for your card, so you're supposed to test one card at a time, and with the feedback I get, I can pick the right FB for a given card.

The same code is run on each card, so AtiFb would be applied to both.

This key is purely for testing purposes to find the best FB for your card, so you're supposed to test one card at a time, and with the feedback I get, I can pick the right FB for a given card.

OK, got it. Sorry, I misunderstood WHAT exactly you were testing & what information you are ultimately seeking.

I will have to run the tests with each card individually (so I can submit my ioreg dumps) while my wife is at work- she doesn't like it when I open the computer when she's home! LOL

But I can tell you now that your boot file works fine with my XFX ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB GDDR-5 (DVI, DVI, Display Port, HDMI) with device ID 68b8 which requires Vervet for full support.

However, my HIS ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB GDDR-3 (DVI, VGA & HDMI) with device ID 9498 requires Motmot as opposed to Peregrine. That is the only way I can get DVI, VGA or HDMI output (all with one framebuffer- there are some weird tricks to getting each one to work, but other framebuffers only allow ONE port to work no matter what)... I have yet to get more than ONE video/display stream from any 46xx card in OS X, seems to be a limitation with the driver.

My 4670 does on the other hand require Peregrine. (Device ID 9490)

I can tell you the 4650 HD (1 Gb) is having the same problem as using any booter besides RC4 or Asere. Both displays power off as soon as the login window should be loading. It doesn't matter if I use VGA and DVI or VGA and VGA (Using DVI to VGA). Would be happy to give you am ioreg dump bump no one has responded to my earlier question of HOW to get the dump.

Hello,

I tested your boot file, but I get SQUARE on the page when scrolling in Safari or Firefox I have a HIS 5870 1gb snow leopard 10.6.4. I've tested with Baboon, Emulemur, Vervet no success. Only Uakari are working but I get square.

Can you help me ?

Thanks.

Dominique

First of all, tyvm! This took me one step further in getting my system to work optimally.

I have this setup: Sapphire 5770 1GB, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, 2 x LG L204WT LCD screens, default framebuffer (Vervet)

With the boot files from Mohamed and my own extracted rom, I could not get dual DVI nor DVI+DVI2VGA to work. It does work flawlessly now. With the exception of single DVI2VGA only working on the bottom port. "Hotswapping" the video cables works and 1680x1050 gets detected properly. Attached are the ioreg dump and profiler screenshot with dual DVI connected.

Sponza Ultra test result is still very slow though: 53 secs. Cinebench 11.5 GPU score is 34 fps.

UPDATE: After a while i get static/snow every half second. Going to try another framebuffer.

UPDATE 2: It's exactly this issue that happens in retail Mac Pros too. So nothing to do with framebuffer I suppose.

top+bottom port results (D2V=DVI2VGA):

+DVI: works

DVI+: works

DVI+DVI: works

DVI+D2V: works

D2V+DVI: works

D2V+: no signal

+D2V: works

sapphire_5770_1GB_Dual_DVI_1680x1050.zip

Would be happy to give you am ioreg dump bump(?) no one has responded to my earlier question of HOW to get the dump.

Actually joe75 did (tell you how to get an ioreg dump) in post #10. But Kabyl is right: that if you don't know that, AND you missed the response to you with the instructions, then it's somewhat unlikely that you will be able to give him the correct & accurate info that he needs for his testing.

I can tell you the 4650 HD (1 Gb) is having the same problem as using any booter besides RC4 or Asere. Both displays power off as soon as the login window should be loading. It doesn't matter if I use VGA and DVI or VGA and VGA (Using DVI to VGA). Would be happy to give you am ioreg dump bump no one has responded to my earlier question of HOW to get the dump.

Download developer tools for IORegistryExplorer. Can also use Linux..

Awesome work here with this kabyl,

Sorry I unable to try this with 4870x2 (no spare H/D at mo & no DVI input on my monitor to have working baseline) :(

Hello,

I´ve one more question!!! Does this method use the original rom of the graphicscard which i´m using or is it from an other one? Because this would be really amasing. ;)

Would be really nice to know!!!

Once i´ve to say you {censored} are really great!!!! :)

Thx again....

Greets

However, my HIS ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB GDDR-3 (DVI, VGA & HDMI) with device ID 9498 requires Motmot as opposed to Peregrine. That is the only way I can get DVI, VGA or HDMI output (all with one framebuffer- there are some weird tricks to getting each one to work, but other framebuffers only allow ONE port to work no matter what)... I have yet to get more than ONE video/display stream from any 46xx card in OS X, seems to be a limitation with the driver.

My 4670 does on the other hand require Peregrine. (Device ID 9490)

There a few other framebuffers you could try, like Flicker.

Hello,

I´ve one more question!!! Does this method use the original rom of the graphicscard which i´m using or is it from an other one? Because this would be really amasing. ;)

Would be really nice to know!!!

It reads the original.

Once i´ve to say you {censored} are really great!!!! :)

I'm not {censored}.

I'm not {censored}.

I´m really sorry about that :( it was i typing mistake.

I meen you guys are really great. ;)

I´m really really really sorry about that.

But if the bootloader use the original rom of my graphicscard i will test it so soon as possible on my amd-system.

And again sorry for that.....

Thx for your reply....