1. To use the new 10.8 kernel and 10.6.8 osx if you have already installed osx
2. Download the kernel(or latest current legacy kernel) from here:
3. Install update ( old kernel may need to be in place for update to work)
4. Overwrite your old kernel and with the new kernel and make sure names match between old and new.
5. Make sure these are the only kernel flags you have in your c.a.b.p: "arch=x86_64 busratio=XX -force64"
XX is your bus ratio
6. Cross fingers + reboot!
Want to create a bootable USB installer instead of from other OSX install?
1. Mount OS X install DVD image or disc. Go to Disk Utility.
2. Restore the mounted image to a blank and not needed 8GB(minimum) flash drive.
3. Install Chameleon to the USB like seen above for a HDD, but this time no EFI partition and install everything to the new USB partition.
4. Copy over the kernel, org.chamelon.plist thing(lol), smbois, DSDT, kexts, whatever you need to the appropriate folders on USB.
5. Set the USB partition as active(don't worry, it wont mess with your HDD)
__A. Find the correct disk number with: "diskutil list"
__B. Type in terminal(rdisk meaning a disk in general, and '0' meaning which disk): "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0"
__C. Type "p" to list partitions and see the USB install dvd partiton.
__D. Type "f 1" with "1" being the partiton number from step C. "1" is the first partiton.
__E. Finally type "write", "y", "exit" (enter after each)
If you get EFI invalid argument error use this command(may have to change disk0s1 for your own path): "fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1"
If you have DSMOS has arived error try: "arch=i386 npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 -x -f -v" (also try it with pcirootuid as 0)
If you get java script errors during update of OS X, replace the kernel(maybe in root or EFI, not sure) with the current (the OS X version you are on now) legacy kernel, then after update has begun, put the new for ex 10.6.8 kernel in.
On some AMD mobos such as my 890 series or maybe its just gigabyte 8xx mobos that if you update to the latest bios you get a root device error but not on the earlier bios versions, so go back to the FC5 Bios!
For fast boot, free port 1 on MOBO and use port 0 for boot HD. Disable in BIOS AMD C1E(otherwise it wont boot)
You MUST use the sata3 ports ( blue connectors on the mobo) on the 890GPA-UD3H mobo for osx, it doesn't like the SATA2 ports (the white connectors on the mobo) for some reason. This maybe the reason for some peoples root device error. Although you will still have SATA2 speed (3gbps).
Replace iousbfamaily.kext with the following: IOUSBFAMILY.KEXT may fix USB/sleep issues
CPU: Phenom II x6 1055T (all six cores working)
GFX: Radeon HD 5850 (Fully Working), using newest Chameleon
Audio: ALC892 (partially working) Uses a modified VodooHDA, line out headphones and mic working for sure. VoodooHDA has to go in /S/L/E, i have my voodoo in the zip at the end will probably work for you.
Memory: 4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 (works)
Sata 2: working
Sata 3: not tested
HDD: 1TB samsung F3 (works)
Bluray drive: DVD, CD works, haven't tried Bluray but im guessing it will work with a BLuray Player software
USB3: no support in OS X yet
Ethernet: realtek 811D works with IONetworkingFamily.Kext in /E/E w/ r1000 kext
Sleep: may work, try IOUSBFAMILY.KEXT
DSDT: Contains UHCI/EHCI usb fix, orange sata fix and many other that i cant remember...
Bios: AHCI on, C1E off, maybe add more if i remember...
I Used my Previous iDeneb 10.5.8 to install 10.6 to another partition on my HD. note: Retail installs require GUID partitioning.
I used these options in the ideneb installer
- Chameleon 2 - 9,5,0 Kernel Voodoo - Apple Decrypt - Disabler - DSDT Patch - Time machine fix - OpenHalt Restart - About this Mac fix - System profiler Fix - IOUSB Family Fix - Seatbelt Fix - Voodoo USBEHCI - Apple Azalia Audio - AHCI SATA IDE - Apple ATI ATA - Jmicro ATA - RTL8111 - Voodoo Power
1. Put your snow leopard dvd in your DVD drive, or mount the iso
2. Use the "open" command in terminal to open the OSinstall.mpkg on the install DVD
open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/Packages/osinstall.mpkg3. Follow the installer instructions and install to a empty partition
4. Install chameleon to your EFI partiton, i used the latest from kexts.com
Erase EFI Partition: diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1 Install boot0 to the MBR: ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 Install boot1h to the bootsector of the EFI partition: dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1Chameleon code has improved alot since RC4, fancy video boot files may not be needed. Dont forget to double check your disk0s1 etc make sure they are the right partition. disk0s1 is saying first HD, first Partition. The EFI partition is always the first partition but it may not be on the first HD.
5. Get all the right kexts for your system, some of what you may need will be in the archives at the end of the guide kexts.com, also a helpful /S/L/E kext installer: Kext Helper b7
6. Mount the EFI partion, nice tool here: EFI Mounter
mkdir /Volumes/EFI mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI if you get a invalid argument error use this command: fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1
7. Create the Extra folder in the root of the EFI partion and Extension folder inside of the Extra folder
8. smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist, DSDT.aml and the Themes folder go in the Extra folder
Kexts go in the Extension folder of EFI. A little utility to help with this: Chameleon Wizard
9. Kernel goes in root of EFI
__A. Download the kernel from here: Kernel-10.8.0.pkg.zip
__B. Overwrite your old kernel and rename the new kernel to match the name of your old kernel.
__C.Make sure your boot flags are: "bt(0,0)mach_kernel arch=x86_64"
__D. Reboot, select retail HD
__E. Get amdinsn patcher from here: amd_insn_patcher.zip
__F. Copy amd_insn_patcher to /usr/bin of your retail HD
__G. Then go to terminal and type:
sudo amd_insn_patcher /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents.patched
sudo mv /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents.patched /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponentsand finally;
sudo update_dyld_shared_cache__H. make sure your boot flags are the following before restarting(going to 64Bit mode):
"arch=x86_64 busratio=XX -force64" XX is your busratio
Note: Some say to do these patches below in 64bit, but i have done in 32bit with no issues.
sudo amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched
sudo mv /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
sudo amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/dyld /usr/lib/dyld.patched
sudo mv /usr/lib/dyld.patched /usr/lib/dyld
sudo update_dyld_shared_cache__I. Install OS X update
__K. Select the retail install from the chameleon selection's and hope it works
10. Success! Go Play!
1. For sleep to possibly Work: replace iousbfamaily.kext (//S/L/E) with the following: IOUSBFAMILY.KEXT
2. For USB3 put in //S/L/E CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext
3. Kernel placement and path:
Specifying alternate(other than OS X HDD root) place of OS X kernel:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>Kernel</key> <string>bt(0,0)mach_kernel arch=x86_64 busratio=14 -force64</string> <key>Kernel Flags</key> <string></string> <key>Timeout</key> <string>5</string> <key>device-properties</key> <string></string> </dict> </plist>The code below is telling chameleon to use the kernel mach_kernel in the root of the EFI partition(see this uses 0 for both first partitions and HDD numbers).