USB 3.0 OSX Support By Caldigit

55 posts in this topic

as my mobo had no USB3 i did buy a U3S6 from asus, which has a bridge and uses a PCIe 4x slot, inside the board are marvell sataIII(6Gbps) and nec usb3, the sata part was always recognized normally as a AHCI port. But, as I dont have a SSD I cant really test its speed

@Cartri

How did u get in that second screen, with the more complex info?

IORegistry Explorer, a fency gui to the good and old command:

ioreg -lw0

The app is included in XCode, available in latest versions trough the Apple (paid) developers program or inside your 10.6 installation disk.

IORegistry Explorer, a fency gui to the good and old command:

ioreg -lw0

The app is included in XCode, available in latest versions trough the Apple (paid) developers program or inside your 10.6 installation disk.

Ty for that. Odd thing we both from brazil speaking english.

I'm just a noob on hackintosh, just did the basic [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] thing. But got everything up and running in 64 bits. Altough the more advanced stuff is like japanese for me.

I don 't have any trouble mounting usb 2.0 devices. USB drive mounts fine. I can't get it to draw more power than 500mA, even with a tv tuner attached.

Maybe it uses as much power as needed. Has anyone in this thread even hooked up a USB 3.0 device yet?

Stell

Shouldn't ipad charge faster on USB3? Can anyone confirm this? I would like to force some voltages, but i guess i can only do this in motherboard/onboard usb3, theorically we could change the voltage for this with the AAPL declarations in DSDT, we just need to follow the 0.96 or 0.98 specs pdf and change the values...

Ty for that. Odd thing we both from brazil speaking english.

I'm just a noob on hackintosh, just did the basic [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] thing. But got everything up and running in 64 bits. Altough the more advanced stuff is like japanese for me.

Even Apple is becoming a newbie on hackintoshes, we are being able to do many many things. Be welcome, contribute as you can. As you know, we have the small problem about Venda Casada and OSX only running in macs here - even being a different product, i guess our 2011 congress will be happier to take down Azeredo-like laws and take back the technology control to technical matters, not market-only as in the ALC88x no-DRM block, manufacturer or subvendor blocks and so on...

I will make a clone of my boot drive and try the LaCie USB3 drivers on the clone with the CalDigit USB3 Card now... I have a MacAlly USB3 HD case with a Seagate SATA drive in it. I will post back w/ the results...

I will make a clone of my boot drive and try the LaCie USB3 drivers on the clone with the CalDigit USB3 Card now... I have a MacAlly USB3 HD case with a Seagate SATA drive in it. I will post back w/ the results...

We twists for you, just remember to not install the caldigit drivers, but the lacie. We are waiting anxiously your feedback! Good luck!

I installed the new USB 3.0 drivers released by Lacie today. I also have the new Super-Speed entry in the System Profiler.

I have the following USB 3.0 HDD dock.

http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagers3.php

I am able to plug it into a USB 2.0 port and mount a HDD, but if I plug it into the USB 3.0 port I got no action. Tried multiple HDD's and both ports, hot plugging, power cycle etc.

I have a 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT (USB 2.0) with NTFS partition and an 8GB Corsair Survivor (USB 2.0) with a Mac OS X Extended Journaled partition and they both mounted successfully in the USB 3.0 ports.

I installed the new USB 3.0 drivers released by Lacie today. I also have the new Super-Speed entry in the System Profiler.

I have the following USB 3.0 HDD dock.

http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagers3.php

I am able to plug it into a USB 2.0 port and mount a HDD, but if I plug it into the USB 3.0 port I got no action. Tried multiple HDD's and both ports, hot plugging, power cycle etc.

I have a 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT (USB 2.0) with NTFS partition and an 8GB Corsair Survivor (USB 2.0) with a Mac OS X Extended Journaled partition and they both mounted successfully in the USB 3.0 ports.

So, lets start trying some mods to your DSDT.

What is the memory address of your actual USB3 interface?

Can you save the .ioreg of your machine with the drive plugged on usb3 and other with it plugged on usb2?

also, post your actual dsdt if possible.

PS: if you are not able to save a .ioreg (if you dont have ioregistry explorer) just use the command

ioreg -lw0

twice, once for each pot plugged (EHCI and XHCI)

So, lets start trying some mods to your DSDT.

What is the memory address of your actual USB3 interface?

Can you save the .ioreg of your machine with the drive plugged on usb3 and other with it plugged on usb2?

also, post your actual dsdt if possible.

PS: if you are not able to save a .ioreg (if you dont have ioregistry explorer) just use the command

ioreg -lw0

twice, once for each pot plugged (EHCI and XHCI)

I am a noob, so a preemptive sorry if I didn't give you what you need. I did three ioreg dumps with the command you specified, no drives, flash drive in usb 2.0 port and in usb 3.0 port. DSDT and System Profiler screenshot attached as well.

The DSDT is from a guide thread on this forum. Thanks to Kup for his hard work.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222761

Edit

DSDT.aml didn't make it in. Hosted on my Dropbox here.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2652566/dsdt.aml?dl=1

No_Drives.rtf

USB_2.0.rtf

USB_3.0.rtf

System_Profiler.tiff

Perhaps we should start a new topic to cover activities related to the LaCie USB3.0 drivers?

I have installed them on two systems with built-in NEC based USB3 ports:

1) GA-X58A-UD5

2) GA-H55M-USB3

On both systems i get the new Super-speed entry in System Profiler.

However, on system 1 i can't get any drives (USB2 or USB3) to mount on the USB3 ports.

On system 2, USB2/3 drives will mount but... in System Profiler when the USB2/3 drives are plugged in to the USB3 ports they show up under the high-speed USB entry, not under the Super-speed one.

System Profiler for system 1 does not show any of the devices i plug in to the USB3 ports.

I am suspecting the DSDT is a culprit here but i looked through them and couldn't find an obvious place to start tweaking. I will post the DSDT for both systems soon, and would love to help get this driver working ASAP.

g\

It took me a while to move data around to make a test clone boot disk...

results: CalDigit card using LaCie USB3 driver ---> Does not see MacAlly USB3 external HD case

DOES see a USB2 drive plugged into the USB3 card

( MacAlly drive is seen when plugged into a regular USB2 port )

This is booted with 64 bit kernel

( under system profiler it says that PXHCD is 64 bit )

Version: 1.0.1

Last Modified: 10/4/10 8:01 AM

Kind: Universal

Architectures: i386, ppc, x86_64

64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Kext Version: 1.0.1

Load Address: 0xffffff7f80815000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

I have also included the output from ioregistry explorer; once with the USB3 HD plugged into a USB2 port on the MB and once when plugged into a USB3 port on the CalDight card

ioreg_files.zip

Have a look here. It seems the Lacie is looking for Lacie devices to connect to only, this is from someone testing it on a mac:

http://blog.fosketts.net/2010/11/05/lacie-...roubleshooting/

It is checking for device/vendor id somewhere.

Good find! hopefully now someone with the know how can take apart the driver and fix the locked ID issue.

g\

UPDATE

Well i just opened up the binary for the driver in hexfiend and i can actually see that little error message written out, so this looks like it will be a hex edit job. This is probably as far as i can take it myself since i have almost no experience hex editing binaries but i am hopeful it will be possible for someone in the know. it seems to call a %x as the vendor ID.

I'll keep poking around.

g\

dmesgoutputforlaciedriv.png

ok, now we have 2 different brand kexts to unlock.

Caldigit seems easier to recompile as we wish, lacie driver seems easier to hex out.

I will check if I have to go to work today, but i guess a weekend is enough to free these beasts.

Pandora's box has already been opened!

My usb 2.0 Lacie disk mounted, but not my seagate. I'm excited about Black Magic's usb 3 capture card, and areca 8 HD enclosure. I hope u guys manage to make it work. I cant offer anything but feedback. I have a x58a-Ud3r rev.2.0, bios FA

Pleeease test modbin patch, i was just coming back from work to try IDA on it and... its already done :-D

Check his work and feedback! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1577139

• 6 months later...

If your Mobo has any VLI VL810 Hubs attached to the USB3 controller you will have undesired effects with the Lacie PXCHD.Kext

I have a GA-P67A-UD7-B3 with 2x NEC Chips and 2x VL810 Chips and USB3 is no go for me. It seems to be a problem with the hubs.

• 2 months later...
If your Mobo has any VLI VL810 Hubs attached to the USB3 controller you will have undesired effects with the Lacie PXCHD.Kext

I have a GA-P67A-UD7-B3 with 2x NEC Chips and 2x VL810 Chips and USB3 is no go for me. It seems to be a problem with the hubs.

You should check out this link for firmware updates to both chips.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone encountered situations where the drive will randomly disconnect, and immediately reconnect ??

I'm on 10.7.3 ( upgraded from 10.6.8 -> 10.7.2, but it happened on SnowLeop and 10.7.2 as well ).

Using the LaCie 1.0.8 driver,

Seagate GoFlex 1.5Tb USB 3.0

And this NEC/Renesas Expresscard ( WITH the extra power from a USB 2.0 port ).

EDIT: I'm using Paragon NTFS 9.5.2.

I have logs, but don't have a subscription so I can't upload, if someone wants to PM me, I can email the zip with the logs ( like 20Kb ).

The drive will also run for a while copying a large (50+GB) file, and then suddenly halt, disconnect, and then reconnect.

This behavior even happens when it's been sitting idle and you simply dbl-click on the drive icon to open finder.

Anyone run across this ???