USB 3.0 OSX Support By Caldigit

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
Argh, i cant hold myself, i will plug this right now, tell you what happens in some moments.

it works
works works works

still no usb3 device here so it reports 500mAh and 480Mbps
ill screenshot soon

Posted Image
Posted Image

jestera

jestera

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the screenshots!

Hopefully someone out there has a USB 3 device to definitely make sure it works and can let us know the kind of speeds they get using it.

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
ops, i did shot one wrong, this is more valid:
Posted Image

And so, can anyone get 0x3e8 (1Ah) or at least 0x384 (900mAh) in these ports current?

richtig

richtig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Would be interesting to find out: USB 3.0 external HD "works" vs. USB 3.0 HD "bootable".
Also: "Windows bootable" external USB 3.0 vs. "OSX bootable" external USB 3.0.
Making Windows bootable on an external USB 2.0 (or 3.0) HD is possible, but seems to require some re-engineering of the install disc. Not sure about relative difficulty of a Windows vs. an OSX bootable external USB HD.

Hangten

Hangten

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Can some one also post there spec's of there hardware when posting benches and info if tested?

There are instances that hardware can't give optimal speed do to how USB3 is implemented. For instance if your drive or array can't technically reach speeds to saturated the WRITE/READ of a storage or device.

Also if one has external SATA2 or SATA3 is USB 3 running currently on a Hackintosh even worth the candle?

Guiferreira

Guiferreira

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My x58a-ud3r usb 3.0 is recognized with lacie drivers, but it won't mout my seagate usb 2.0 hard drive.
Attached File  Captura_de_tela_2010_11_04___s_19.54.20.png   235.58KB   103 downloads

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
as my mobo had no USB3 i did buy a U3S6 from asus, which has a bridge and uses a PCIe 4x slot, inside the board are marvell sataIII(6Gbps) and nec usb3, the sata part was always recognized normally as a AHCI port. But, as I dont have a SSD I cant really test its speed

Guiferreira

Guiferreira

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@Cartri

How did u get in that second screen, with the more complex info?

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts

@Cartri

How did u get in that second screen, with the more complex info?

IORegistry Explorer, a fency gui to the good and old command:

ioreg -lw0

The app is included in XCode, available in latest versions trough the Apple (paid) developers program or inside your 10.6 installation disk.

Guiferreira

Guiferreira

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

IORegistry Explorer, a fency gui to the good and old command:

ioreg -lw0

The app is included in XCode, available in latest versions trough the Apple (paid) developers program or inside your 10.6 installation disk.

Ty for that. Odd thing we both from brazil speaking english.

I'm just a noob on hackintosh, just did the basic ##### thing. But got everything up and running in 64 bits. Altough the more advanced stuff is like japanese for me.

jestera

jestera

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don 't have any trouble mounting usb 2.0 devices. USB drive mounts fine. I can't get it to draw more power than 500mA, even with a tv tuner attached.

Attached Files

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

I don 't have any trouble mounting usb 2.0 devices. USB drive mounts fine. I can't get it to draw more power than 500mA, even with a tv tuner attached.

Maybe it uses as much power as needed. Has anyone in this thread even hooked up a USB 3.0 device yet?

Stell

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
Shouldn't ipad charge faster on USB3? Can anyone confirm this? I would like to force some voltages, but i guess i can only do this in motherboard/onboard usb3, theorically we could change the voltage for this with the AAPL declarations in DSDT, we just need to follow the 0.96 or 0.98 specs pdf and change the values...

Ty for that. Odd thing we both from brazil speaking english.

I'm just a noob on hackintosh, just did the basic ##### thing. But got everything up and running in 64 bits. Altough the more advanced stuff is like japanese for me.

Even Apple is becoming a newbie on hackintoshes, we are being able to do many many things. Be welcome, contribute as you can. As you know, we have the small problem about Venda Casada and OSX only running in macs here - even being a different product, i guess our 2011 congress will be happier to take down Azeredo-like laws and take back the technology control to technical matters, not market-only as in the ALC88x no-DRM block, manufacturer or subvendor blocks and so on...

Rx4Mac

Rx4Mac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I will make a clone of my boot drive and try the LaCie USB3 drivers on the clone with the CalDigit USB3 Card now... I have a MacAlly USB3 HD case with a Seagate SATA drive in it. I will post back w/ the results...

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts

I will make a clone of my boot drive and try the LaCie USB3 drivers on the clone with the CalDigit USB3 Card now... I have a MacAlly USB3 HD case with a Seagate SATA drive in it. I will post back w/ the results...

We twists for you, just remember to not install the caldigit drivers, but the lacie. We are waiting anxiously your feedback! Good luck!

btwiggles2

btwiggles2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I installed the new USB 3.0 drivers released by Lacie today. I also have the new Super-Speed entry in the System Profiler.

I have the following USB 3.0 HDD dock.
http://www.newertech...s/voyagers3.php
I am able to plug it into a USB 2.0 port and mount a HDD, but if I plug it into the USB 3.0 port I got no action. Tried multiple HDD's and both ports, hot plugging, power cycle etc.

I have a 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT (USB 2.0) with NTFS partition and an 8GB Corsair Survivor (USB 2.0) with a Mac OS X Extended Journaled partition and they both mounted successfully in the USB 3.0 ports.

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts

I installed the new USB 3.0 drivers released by Lacie today. I also have the new Super-Speed entry in the System Profiler.

I have the following USB 3.0 HDD dock.
http://www.newertech...s/voyagers3.php
I am able to plug it into a USB 2.0 port and mount a HDD, but if I plug it into the USB 3.0 port I got no action. Tried multiple HDD's and both ports, hot plugging, power cycle etc.

I have a 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT (USB 2.0) with NTFS partition and an 8GB Corsair Survivor (USB 2.0) with a Mac OS X Extended Journaled partition and they both mounted successfully in the USB 3.0 ports.

So, lets start trying some mods to your DSDT.
What is the memory address of your actual USB3 interface?
Can you save the .ioreg of your machine with the drive plugged on usb3 and other with it plugged on usb2?
also, post your actual dsdt if possible.
PS: if you are not able to save a .ioreg (if you dont have ioregistry explorer) just use the command

ioreg -lw0

twice, once for each pot plugged (EHCI and XHCI)

btwiggles2

btwiggles2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

So, lets start trying some mods to your DSDT.
What is the memory address of your actual USB3 interface?
Can you save the .ioreg of your machine with the drive plugged on usb3 and other with it plugged on usb2?
also, post your actual dsdt if possible.
PS: if you are not able to save a .ioreg (if you dont have ioregistry explorer) just use the command

ioreg -lw0

twice, once for each pot plugged (EHCI and XHCI)

I am a noob, so a preemptive sorry if I didn't give you what you need. I did three ioreg dumps with the command you specified, no drives, flash drive in usb 2.0 port and in usb 3.0 port. DSDT and System Profiler screenshot attached as well.

The DSDT is from a guide thread on this forum. Thanks to Kup for his hard work.
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=222761

Edit
DSDT.aml didn't make it in. Hosted on my Dropbox here.
http://dl.dropbox.co...6/dsdt.aml?dl=1

Attached Files

genzai

genzai

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Perhaps we should start a new topic to cover activities related to the LaCie USB3.0 drivers?

I have installed them on two systems with built-in NEC based USB3 ports:
1) GA-X58A-UD5
2) GA-H55M-USB3

On both systems i get the new Super-speed entry in System Profiler.

However, on system 1 i can't get any drives (USB2 or USB3) to mount on the USB3 ports.

On system 2, USB2/3 drives will mount but... in System Profiler when the USB2/3 drives are plugged in to the USB3 ports they show up under the high-speed USB entry, not under the Super-speed one.

System Profiler for system 1 does not show any of the devices i plug in to the USB3 ports.

I am suspecting the DSDT is a culprit here but i looked through them and couldn't find an obvious place to start tweaking. I will post the DSDT for both systems soon, and would love to help get this driver working ASAP.

g\

btwiggles2

btwiggles2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The driver is up, that's what we're talking about.

There is already another thread for the Lacie drivers, shall we move?
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=236209

I have the same thing goin on as genzai's system 2. When a usb 2.0 device is plugged in it shows up under Hi-Speed and not under the new Super-Speed entry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy