Its been a while since I got a feedback from you. I apologize for pushing this. The top 5 issues that I would like to get resolved on our dv8t machine are:
1. Brightness control.
2. Audio w/o using Voodoo kext.
3. Efficient Fan/Temperature management.
4. Fn Key mapping
5. Broadcom wireless card (that you purchased from eBay).
Couple of questions:
How did you manage to generate dsdt.aml for our dv8t notebooks? How do I generate a new/original dsdt.aml for my notebook? I have been discussing in this thread: http://www.insanelym...p...23205&st=60 and may be the new DSDT auto patcher tool might help us. With your permission, I'm going to post the dsdt.aml that came with the Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 in that thread to see if the moderator (oldnapalm) would be able to patch the dsdt.aml to resolove the issues we're facing.
Btw, did you get the vanilla kernel and the patched BIOS from gsly?
On a side note, I was checking this thread and it seems this guy says all are working on his Acer 8940g notebook that comes with GT250M GPU: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=222668
Thanks again for all your help and patience in answering my questions.
Sorry, I am really tied up with a bunch of things lately which has taken me out of the loop. I'm not going to have much time to work on mine for a while unfortunately.
Did you miss my post #60
1. I don't know about the brightness, other than what I have already posted. It seems easily fixable though.
2. Please work with Kizwan on the audio issue. He is a true master and a great help.
3. See my post #60
4. See my post #60
5. I got the Wifi card, but it wasn't working. It's either because the card they shipped me isn't the correct card, or there was something not right with modified BIOS I got from gsly at ProjectOSX. I haven't had time to follow up. HOWEVER... I do have some interesting news for everyone:
1) I took an actual Apple WiFi card out of a 2.2GHz MacBook, which is a Broadcom BCM94321MC.
2) This is a "full-length" card, not like the "half-length" cards that comes with the DV8t.
3) There are 2 mini-PCI card slots on our DV8ts! There is the one with the half-lenght slot under the bass speaker cover, and there is another one THAT WORKS between the two hard drive bays.
4) I removed our card from the top slot, put the Apple WiFi card in the bottom slot, and BAM! Perfectly working WiFi in OS X AND Windows 7!
5) HOWEVER... there is a big catch (which, almost makes this useless); the card I got off eBay came with a set of WiFi antenna cables. I had to connect these to the card to get any reception. Unfortunately, the cables that go to the top slot are not long enough to reach the bottom slot (at least I'm assuming, I haven't had time to actually take the machine apart to verify this, but I'd almost bet money they won't reach).
So anyone who wants to go this route would either have to extend the cables somehow (not likely), or take the machine apart and replace the antenna cables with ones like I got off of eBay (this is the only solution that would actually work, that I can think of).
Other than that, if you can work with gsly, you can get other cards to work, but you have to modify your BIOS.
Feel free to post the DSDT.aml file! : )
I tried, several days back, to get the vanilla kernel working, but did not have any success, but didn't have time to dig deep either.
Sorry I must be a bit out of the loop for a while. I really have too many things going on right now. I'm not quitting, by any means, but I am swamped! I was more connected and able to keep up with things when my iPhone allowed me to post on InsanelyMac, but since moving to the iPhone 4 and iOS 4.0, it won't let me. : ( If they resolve the issue with an update, then I might be able to be more involved as I am on the go A LOT!
Where are you?
While you're gone, I was able to get a vanilla kernel (64bit) and was able to install on the 10.6.3 version. KP if I update to 10.6.4.
More on this here: http://www.tonymacx8...=...473&start=0
Hope you come back soon.
Thanks MacMan50, I should be in bed now... but I'm taking a look at this.
@Mammoth, I found you now. Now I need to read the whole thread first before sharing my thoughts. Anyway, any progress on the codec dump I requested from you a long long time ago?
Hello Kizwan my old friend!
As you may have read, I am beyond swamped lately!
There is a lot going on in my life and I just don't have the time to do many of the things I would like to.
On the codec dump, somewhere I had replied asking for the method you would like me to use to produce it. If you could list (or point us to) the best tools and methods that would produce a dump that would be most useful to you, either I or MacMan50 could produce it.
I DO really want to get sound (and other things) working, it's just my time is so limited lately (I shouldn't even be on now as I have so much to do)!
So if I had a 1-2-3 on how to do it, and I could do it in minimal time, I would.