[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Awesome kizwan!

I will ge you te audio codec dump ASAP. Btw, I can

help you get the video ROM dump if you can let me

know the steps involved. I already have Fedora Live CD

with me. will it help? Please let me know the steps.

For the sleep issue - how do I get the log? Can I send

you a copy of it? Would you be kind enough to take a

look at it?

Thanks.

Awesome kizwan!

I will ge you te audio codec dump ASAP. Btw, I can

help you get the video ROM dump if you can let me

know the steps involved. I already have Fedora Live CD

with me. will it help? Please let me know the steps.

For the sleep issue - how do I get the log? Can I send

you a copy of it? Would you be kind enough to take a

look at it?

Thanks.

This is how you can get the video ROM in Mac. Follow the instruction in this thread

or

download this package & follow this instruction (use Terminal application):-

http://www.mediafire.com/?ugm3mn0jymq

sudo  -s
cd ~/Desktop/VBIOS
chown -R root:wheel RadeonPCI.kext
 chmod  -R 755 RadeonPCI.kext
kextutil RadeonPCI.kext
 ./RadeonDump -d
exit

I bet Mammoth already do like this but I can't read it with NVidiaInfo application. You can give it another try to dump the video ROM.

This is how you can get the video ROM in Mac. Follow the instruction in this thread

or

download this package & follow this instruction (use Terminal application):-

http://www.mediafire.com/?ugm3mn0jymq

sudo  -s
cd ~/Desktop/VBIOS
 chmod  -R 755 RadeonPCI.kext
kextutil RadeonPCI.kext
 ./RadeonDump -d
exit

I bet Mammoth already do like this but I can't read it with NVidiaInfo application. You can give it another try to dump the video ROM.

kizwan:

Thanks again.

I was able to get the audio codec dump using Fedora Live CD. Btw, Fedora is awesome. It was able to detect everything natively including Fn+F7 and Fn+F8 for brightness. Awesome.

For the video BIOS dump, I couldn't do it at all for no reason. I need to first boot into 32 bit to make it work by giving arch=i386. Then I copied the VBIOS folder to the desktop and did all of this:

chmod -R 755 RadeonPCI.kext

Then, this didn't work: kextutil RadeonPCI.kext ./RadeonDump -d

It should be kextutil RadeonPCI.kext -d ./RadeonDump

I get this error: Failed to read contents of <pathname>/RadeonDump, CFURL error -10.

Don't know how to proceed.

Anyways, if Mammoth can give you a VIDEO BIOS dump, it would be great.

Thanks.

codec_dump.txt

4. I think there is a bug in the Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 under Extra/Extensions. All kexts that you have there are all 0KB!.

You are doing some fantastic work ManMan50, clearly the heavyweight contributor of this thread! Thank you very much!!! :)

You are correct, and I don't know how that happend, but because the files "were there", I didn't notice they were "Zero KB". I did a lot of testing, and everything "seemed" to be working, but the only reason the mouse and keyboard are working is because of the Extensions.mkext file in /Volumes/Cham/Extra/, mess with that .mkext and you will loose the TrackPad (and all other use of the kexts in that .mkext, which are all WORKING copies of the "Zero KB" kexts. The ChamExtUp is actually NOT working either.

: (

Everyone be aware of this until I can sort it all out.

Mammoth

chmod -R 755 RadeonPCI.kext

Then, this didn't work: kextutil RadeonPCI.kext ./RadeonDump -d

It should be kextutil RadeonPCI.kext -d ./RadeonDump

The correct steps are:-

1) Load the kext file:-

kextutil RadeonPCI.kext

2) Dump the video ROM:-

./RadeonDump -d

The correct steps are:-

1) Load the kext file:-

kextutil RadeonPCI.kext

2) Dump the video ROM:-

./RadeonDump -d

Thank you kizwan.

With your new instructions, I was able to generate a video ROM file. One more surprise. Sleep works wonderfully now. I didn't do anything special. All I have is SleepEnabler.kext in the Cham boot partition and running with kokamal's dsdt.aml (modified GFX string for the Graphics model and also the totalsize + the IDT audio device string). Maybe, he has something special in his dsdt.aml for enabling Sleep. All I did is press Fn+F5 (there is a moon like icon for sleep) and the system went to sleep completely. After couple of minutes, I was able to wake up the system by opening the LID or pressing the Power button. So, sleep works extremely well which is a breakthrough. I'm surprised that the Fn+F5 key is working for Sleep. So, in the same lines, we can map all other Fn+ keys (including Brightness).

Also, I'm including kokomal's dsdt.aml and the original untouched dsdt.aml from Mammoth Boot CD 1.10. I'm requesting you to please patch the dsdt.aml (attached in this reply) with Audio, GFX string, Nvidia GT230M specific entries and/or Sleep (if any) and post it here.

Btw, do you think we can enable Intel SpeedStep just by adding iMac11,1 to smbios.plist as I read elsewhere? Also, I'm using the latest VoodooBattery 1.3.3 and it looks like I'm not getting enough juice out of it (maybe close to 90 mins for just doing light stuff). Is there a way to get more out of the battery?

Thanks for all your help and patience and thanks to Mammoth for the wonderful Boot CD 1.10 which was really a stepping stone to begin with.

Original_dsdt_from_Mammoth_Boot_CD_1.10.zip

0A28.006C.006F.vga.zip

dsdt_kokomal.zip

Hey everyone,

I have this MacBook I have to sell soon on eBay, which is the one I am borrowing the WiFi card for testing, so I dove in and completely disassembled my DV8t to investigate our possibilities for re-routing the wireless antenna wires to the lower slot. Right now, my DV8t looks like C3PO strapped to Chewy's back after being blasted to pieces by Boba Fett. I have nothing to report yet, but I am taking detailed pictures and will post later. If the rewiring is a viable solution, I may even put together a "quick" tear-down / rebuild guide... but I REALLY don't have time for this stuff... not now anyways, but... : (

I can tell you, this is NOT an easy laptop to take apart, NOT-AT-ALL! So this will not be for the timid as it literally requires taking it COMPLETELY apart, even the display must be removed.

Pics and more info coming... later.

Mammoth

UPDATE! IT'S DOABLE!!! Pics later!!! Going to see Inception in IMAX now.

Hey everyone,

I have this MacBook I have to sell soon on eBay, which is the one I am borrowing the WiFi card for testing, so I dove in and completely disassembled my DV8t to investigate our possibilities for re-routing the wireless antenna wires to the lower slot. Right now, my DV8t looks like C3PO strapped to Chewy's back after being blasted to pieces by Boba Fett. I have nothing to report yet, but I am taking detailed pictures and will post later. If the rewiring is a viable solution, I may even put together a "quick" tear-down / rebuild guide... but I REALLY don't have time for this stuff... not now anyways, but... : (

I can tell you, this is NOT an easy laptop to take apart, NOT-AT-ALL! So this will not be for the timid as it literally requires taking it COMPLETELY apart, even the display must be removed.

Pics and more info coming... later.

Mammoth

UPDATE! IT'S DOABLE!!! Pics later!!! Going to see Inception in IMAX now.

I am not exactly sure what you're trying to do. but on my dv7 3180us. i bought some wires, i placed my wifi card in the 2nd slot.

cut the wires from the 1st pci slot, and extended them to the 2nd card.

works great, the signal is strong and fast as far as i can test.

it is seen as a 3rd party, but it's ok i guess, looks to have N engaged too.

I am not exactly sure what you're trying to do. but on my dv7 3180us. i bought some wires, i placed my wifi card in the 2nd slot.

cut the wires from the 1st pci slot, and extended them to the 2nd card.

works great, the signal is strong and fast as far as i can test.

it is seen as a 3rd party, but it's ok i guess, looks to have N engaged too.

This is great news Killis. How did you connect the additional wire? What kind of wire did you use? It would be very helpful if you could upload a picture of your splice job so others can see how to do it. Something like that is a LOT better than taking the machine apart, so long as it works well.

Thanks,

Mammoth

Mammoth,

I found a better alternative: Get Dell 1510 Mini PCI-e card and it works flawlessly with SL as I read in several forums.

Thanks.

Hi MacMan50,

Supposedly, the one I got off of eBay IS a Dell 1510 (BCM94322HM8L) but the DV8t rejects it at post as an "unsupported" card. This is why we would need the BIOS hacked white list, which I would rather not have to deal with each time there is a new BIOS.

Placing a card in the bottom slot is ideal as you can use ANY CARD YOU WANT, and if you use an Apple card, it works PERFECTLY in OS X, as I have already proven.

Splicing the wires seems like a good alternative, but those wires are so tiny I don't know how to strip and connect them easily, plus I am concerned about signal loss, but Kellis says it has been done, so...

Mammoth

This is great news Killis. How did you connect the additional wire? What kind of wire did you use? It would be very helpful if you could upload a picture of your splice job so others can see how to do it. Something like that is a LOT better than taking the machine apart, so long as it works well.

Thanks,

Mammoth

Hi MacMan50,

Supposedly, the one I got off of eBay IS a Dell 1510 (BCM94322HM8L) but the DV8t rejects it at post as an "unsupported" card. This is why we would need the BIOS hacked white list, which I would rather not have to deal with each time there is a new BIOS.

Placing a card in the bottom slot is ideal as you can use ANY CARD YOU WANT, and if you use an Apple card, it works PERFECTLY in OS X, as I have already proven.

Splicing the wires seems like a good alternative, but those wires are so tiny I don't know how to strip and connect them easily, plus I am concerned about signal loss, but Kellis says it has been done, so...

Mammoth

Hi guys.

I went to a laptop repair shop. Extracted the antennae from a broken laptop. He didnt even charge me for the wires. But I could have simply spliced the existing one but was afraid it was a little too short. The splice is standard. It is a shielded 2 thin wires. Have to be careful when cutting. A picture would not show anything especially with the insulation. All i know is that I tried to keep the extension as short as possible.

Hey everyone,

My WiFi antenna wire rerouting mod is complete. my machine is all back together, and with the Apple WiFi card installed in the lower slot and connected to the HP OEM antenna wires, I am able to post this message in OS X from my DV8t over wireless!!!

:)

Very happy!

UPDATE: Just tested in Windows 7 and working perfectly too; adding this update from DV8t w/ wireless! :P

If anyone wants to get one of these cards, I found a guy on eBay selling them for $19.99 with FREE shipping, and he's in Los Angeles (NOT China), so you will get it FAST!

eBay seller ID: JHETech*com

Apple PRO A1181 A1260 Wireless WiFi 802.11n BCM94321MC

Mammoth

post-81851-1279397589_thumb.png

post-81851-1279397662_thumb.png

Hey everyone,

My WiFi antenna wire rerouting mod is complete. my machine is all back together, and with the Apple WiFi card installed in the lower slot and connected to the HP OEM antenna wires, I am able to post this message in OS X from my DV8t over wireless!!!

:)

Very happy!

UPDATE: Just tested in Windows 7 and working perfectly too; adding this update from DV8t w/ wireless! :P

It might just be better to start using the new one. Is there anything that works better with the Mammoth DSDT than the new one?

Mammoth

Mammoth:

Thats is a excellent progress!!! However, I'm bit scared to do the antenna re-routing. Can you explain me this:

Does the Dell 1500 or Dell 1510 or Dell 1515 wireless PCI-e card need antenna to work? I wanted to use the available second PCI-e slot on dv8t to install the Dell Wifi card and make it work. I don't want to patch the bios or remove the stock Intel 6200N card. etc.

Also, on the dsdt.aml, I was able to successfully merge HDEF from kokomal's to Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 version of dsdt.aml and all I need is just merge the PEGP and GFX0 entries and also waiting for correct NVCAP entries from kizwan to make the Graphics card use the correct configuration. Kizwan mentioned that kokomal's version may be using a different BIOS version than ours so it is always safe to keep ours but to patch it with modified entries.

Btw, can you run MSR Tools in 32 bit mode (arch=i386 during Chameleon boot) and see what you get for the power usage and is Intel SpeedStep working? For me it is not and I wanted to enable it. Do you know we can do it thru DSDT patching?

Thanks.

Mammoth:

Thats is a excellent progress!!! However, I'm bit scared to do the antenna re-routing. Can you explain me this:

Does the Dell 1500 or Dell 1510 or Dell 1515 wireless PCI-e card need antenna to work? I wanted to use the available second PCI-e slot on dv8t to install the Dell Wifi card and make it work. I don't want to patch the bios or remove the stock Intel 6200N card. etc.

Also, on the dsdt.aml, I was able to successfully merge HDEF from kokomal's to Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 version of dsdt.aml and all I need is just merge the PEGP and GFX0 entries and also waiting for correct NVCAP entries from kizwan to make the Graphics card use the correct configuration. Kizwan mentioned that kokomal's version may be using a different BIOS version than ours so it is always safe to keep ours but to patch it with modified entries.

Btw, can you run MSR Tools in 32 bit mode (arch=i386 during Chameleon boot) and see what you get for the power usage and is Intel SpeedStep working? For me it is not and I wanted to enable it. Do you know we can do it thru DSDT patching?

Thanks.

YES, the antenna is DEFINITELY needed or you will not see any wireless network unless maybe you were right on top of it. The Dell card is a "half-lenght" card. It will not be mountable in the lower slot. In the top slot, the DV8t doesn't like it. Right now I have the borrowed Apple 661-4594 607-2052 BCM94321MC card installed in the lower slot and I removed the Intel one that came with the laptop from the top slot.

I'm going to post my pics of my reroute soon!

Great work on the DSDT! I haven't had time to even get sound working or the full 64-bit kernel yet, so I will still need to catch up when I can.

My SpeedStepping isn't going to be working any better than yours as we have the same machines and config. :P As far as through DSDT, yes, often it is achieved through DSDT (it a choice in DSDTSE under Hacks), but I don't know about specifics for our machine as I haven't researched that at all.

Note: I just edited my above WiFi info post with a link to eBay where a guy is selling these cards CHEAP!

Mammoth

Thanks mammoth.

If I don't want to slice any wires or don't do any mods

to the wireless n card then getting the

Apple 661-4594 607-2052 BCM94321MC will work

either I put it in the upper or lower slot?

Please advice.

Thanks.

I am putting together a quick guide right now, complete with pictures, on how to do this! Hang tight!

It HAS to go in the bottom slot, no other way is possible.

Mammoth

Kizwan:

Did you had a chance to merge the gpu, sound and

other changes into mammoth's original dsdt.aml? I'm

eagerly waiting for your help.

Thanks.

Hi Mac Man 50, I'm doing it right now. I will post here when it ready. About the wireless card, if the lower slot can fit full mini PCIe card, it is possible to put half-mini PCIe card there. You just need to find a way to screw it. Also about the antenna, the only solution if you want to preserve current configuration, you will need to fit extra antenna in your notebook. To achieve this, you will need to open your notebook casing. The antenna goes into your monitor casing.

Hi Mac Man 50 & Mammoth,

This is the modified DSDT for DV8T:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?b84zhgg5utivaxk

In the compress file, you will see three folder:-

1) Original DSDT

- This is original DSDT for DV8T. This one was given to me by Mammoth in "DSDT Patcher" thread.

2) Modified DSDT

- This is modified DSDT with CMOS Reset Fix, USB EHCI Sleep Fix, HDEF Fix, GFX Fix

3) DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e

- This is the final modified DSDT.

For GFX Fix, I'm referred to ioreg dump given by Mammoth not long time ago. Based on the ioreg dump, graphic card is located in Device (P0P2) --> Device (GFX). However, there is no entry for Device (GFX) in Device (P0P2) in DSDT. I create one based on the ioreg dump. I'm also put graphic card injection in Device (GFX0) just in case.

For HDEF Fix, HDEF injection code is taken from kokomal's DSDT but with a couple of modification - corrected the device ID based on audio codec dump. Apparently kokomal's audio codec is identical with DV8T (based on the AppleHDA.kext you give to me). I don't know why he inject different device ID in his DSDT. You still need to use kokomal's AppleHDA.kext for now. BTW, you will need to install the AppleHDA.kext file in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder to make sure it working properly. Meaning you will need to replace the original one with it.

Please test it (use the final modified DSDT) & make sure these conditions are met to make sure correct result:-

- No other graphic card injector kext installed

- Boot with GraphicsEnabler=No

Please post the result with ioreg dump using IORegistryExplorer. If it does not work, please boot without DSDT file & with GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag, & obtain the ioreg dump using IORegistryExplorer.

I'm going to create legacy kext for your audio based on your audio codec dump. This will take sometime because I have to do this manually. BTW, do your HDMI audio work with kokomal's AppleHDA.kext?

Hi Mac Man 50 & Mammoth,

This is the modified DSDT for DV8T:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?b84zhgg5utivaxk

In the compress file, you will see three folder:-

1) Original DSDT

- This is original DSDT for DV8T. This one was given to me by Mammoth in "DSDT Patcher" thread.

2) Modified DSDT

- This is modified DSDT with CMOS Reset Fix, USB EHCI Sleep Fix, HDEF Fix, GFX Fix

3) DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e

- This is the final modified DSDT.

For GFX Fix, I'm referred to ioreg dump given by Mammoth not long time ago. Based on the ioreg dump, graphic card is located in Device (P0P2) --> Device (GFX). However, there is no entry for Device (GFX) in Device (P0P2) in DSDT. I create one based on the ioreg dump. I'm also put graphic card injection in Device (GFX0) just in case.

For HDEF Fix, HDEF injection code is taken from kokomal's DSDT but with a couple of modification - corrected the device ID based on audio codec dump. Apparently kokomal's audio codec is identical with DV8T (based on the AppleHDA.kext you give to me). I don't know why he inject different device ID in his DSDT. You still need to use kokomal's AppleHDA.kext for now. BTW, you will need to install the AppleHDA.kext file in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder to make sure it working properly. Meaning you will need to replace the original one with it.

Please test it (use the final modified DSDT) & make sure these conditions are met to make sure correct result:-

- No other graphic card injector kext installed

- Boot with GraphicsEnabler=No

Please post the result with ioreg dump using IORegistryExplorer. If it does not work, please boot without DSDT file & with GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag, & obtain the ioreg dump using IORegistryExplorer.

I'm going to create legacy kext for your audio based on your audio codec dump. This will take sometime because I have to do this manually. BTW, do your HDMI audio work with kokomal's AppleHDA.kext?

Kizwan:

Awesome man!!! Thanks for all the pain you're putting in getting dv8t up and running. Here are my results:

I used the DSDT_SLIC-DV8T-FIXED.aml under the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e folder, renamed to dsdt.aml (all lowercase), moved it to Cham partition under Extra and also turned off GraphicsEnabler in the com.apple.boot.plist under the Cham partition and things are not looking good:

a. I lost my custom calibrated icc profile - in other words, the system selected a default icc profile (named Display) and selecting my custom profile has no effect.(it was looking gorgeous before). I think it has to do with GraphicsEnabler set to No.

b. In the list of available resolutions displayed, the system is only showing 1920x1080.

c. In the System Profiler, under Graphics/Display, the following info is shown:

a. Type: GPU

b. Bus: PCIe

c. PCIe Lane Width: 16

d. VRAM (Total): 32MB

e. Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

f. Device ID: 0x0a28

g. Revision ID: 0x00a2

h. Displays:

Resolution: 1920x1080

Pixel Depth: 32bit color

Main Display : Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

I don't know how to run the IORegistryExplorer and get the dump. Also, the other biggest problem is I feel the system is overheating and the fan runs continously I think. So, we need to enable Intel SpeedStep with efficient fan control and make the system run cooler.

Thanks for all your help.

I don't know how to run the IORegistryExplorer and get the dump. Also, the other biggest problem is I feel the system is overheating and the fan runs continously I think. So, we need to enable Intel SpeedStep with efficient fan control and make the system run cooler.

Thanks for all your help.

I need ioreg dump from IORegistryExplorer for me to proceed. Make sure you installed IORegistryExplorer application. It come with XCode but you can get it from somewhere else. Boot without any DSDT file & with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Open IORegistryExplorer & select save to get the ioreg dump.

Attention everyone!

And especially - Mac Man 1950 ;)

Kokomal uses my DSDT, but it will work properly in my ...

Laptop - HP Pavilion dv6 2090er, Core i7 720QM, IDT 92HD75B3X5, Realtek RTL8168D/8111D, Broadcom BCM94312HMG, 2 * 2048 DDR3 1333MHz, Nvidia GeForce GT230M 1024Mb

He added method DTGP, but as you can see I do not use this method, but using the method of Master Chiefa - MCDP, so that this method, DTGP-extra

Use only your DSDT, create your DSDT, use only the fixes, as in my DSDT

If you need help creating your DSDT - I'll help :)

sorry for English :)

I need ioreg dump from IORegistryExplorer for me to proceed. Make sure you installed IORegistryExplorer application. It come with XCode but you can get it from somewhere else. Boot without any DSDT file & with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Open IORegistryExplorer & select save to get the ioreg dump.

Hi kizwan,

Thanks for your patience.

Here is the IO Reg dump from my dv8t-1200.

I'm also attaching a screenshot from MSR Tools (ran in 32bit yesterday without your dsdt fixes) with just the original dsdt.aml. MSR Tools is not showing all 4 cores though and some of the numbers seem to be incorrect.

Please help.

Attention everyone!

And especially - Mac Man 1950 ;)

Kokomal uses my DSDT, but it will work properly in my ...

Laptop - HP Pavilion dv6 2090er, Core i7 720QM, IDT 92HD75B3X5, Realtek RTL8168D/8111D, Broadcom BCM94312HMG, 2 * 2048 DDR3 1333MHz, Nvidia GeForce GT230M 1024Mb

He added method DTGP, but as you can see I do not use this method, but using the method of Master Chiefa - MCDP, so that this method, DTGP-extra

Use only your DSDT, create your DSDT, use only the fixes, as in my DSDT

If you need help creating your DSDT - I'll help :)

sorry for English :)

Thanks Taptun for your kind observations. Kizwan: please take a note of Taptun's comments. I completely trust kizwan, taptun, mammoth and others. If I can get the best running dv8t with SL 10.6.4, I would be the happiest. :)

Thanks.

dv8t_1200_IORegDump.zip

post-607801-1279490613_thumb.png

Mac Man 50 !!!

I can do for you your DSDT, but I need you to send me

- Net DSDT (Everest or Linux)

- All tables SSDT (not less than 5)

- IORegistryExplorer.app, booting non DSDT , in the terminal -

ioreg-l-s-w 1024> ioreg.txt

Send me All - DSDT , All SSDT + ioreg.txt

I will try to help you :)

Mac Man 50 !!!

I can do for you your DSDT, but I need you to send me

- Net DSDT (Everest or Linux)

- All tables SSDT (not less than 5)

- IORegistryExplorer.app, booting non DSDT , in the terminal -

ioreg-l-s-w 1024> ioreg.txt

Send me All - DSDT , All SSDT + ioreg.txt

I will try to help you :)

taptun:

great. Thank you again. I think kizwan is doing a great

job in helping people who own dv8t. I think two heads

are better than one. It is good to know that the dv6t

configuration is almost identical to dv8t. I have some

questions for you anyways.

1. What do you mean by Net dsdt? Are you referring to

New dsdt? I have Fedora Linux Live CD. How can I generate

a brand new dsdt?

2. How do I get SSDTs using Fedora Linux live cd?

3. I have already uploaded ioreg dump in my previous

topic without using dsdt.aml and also with GraphicsEnabler

set to Yes.

I think we all should be working together to get the best

of all brains :)

Thanks.