Intel GMA4500 / GL 4x Express Chipset

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I was able to get the GMA X4500 working In Lion :D

Use 32bit mode with the attached "AppleIntelGMAX3100FB" kext, which was originally posted here:
http://www.kexts.com...?do=file&id=909

1. Back up the orig AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
2. Used Kext Helper to install the hacked kext, rebuild tag cache and restore permissions
3. Run Kext Utility
4. Configure a recent build (v2 RC5 r755 or newer) of the Chameleon bootloader: Restart Fix=Yes, arch=i386
5. Reboot
6. After reboot, the video chipset is recognized as X3100, and the "Display" interface in System Preferences offers the following resolutions: 1366x768, 1344x756, 1280x720, 1024x768, 800x600
7. To adjust brightness, use the "Configure" feature from the "Color" tab in the Display interface to create a custom color profile (gamma has a big impact upon brightness).

This technique works for me, but it may not for everyone, so be careful. I got a lot of KP's in the process of tinkering with this fix. If something goes wrong, I dual boot into Windows 7 and use MacDrive to access my Mac Partition. I then delete bad kexts, and/or edit files (plists, etc) with Notepad - this has made me more willing to take risks!

Ohh, and no QE/CI - I've tried lots of fixes for this but no luck. Native res is the real benefit from the hacked AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.

This worked for me on a Lenovo T500 with the 0x2a42 device ID for Lion 10.7.2. No QE/CI but that's expected.

Biso007

Biso007

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

I was able to get the GMA X4500 working In Lion :unsure:

Use 32bit mode with the attached "AppleIntelGMAX3100FB" kext, which was originally posted here:
http://www.kexts.com...?do=file&id=909

Ohh, and no QE/CI - I've tried lots of fixes for this but no luck. Native res is the real benefit from the hacked AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.

I just tested your kext with Kext Wizard and it tells it has only i386 arch so most probably won't work in 64bit mode but I 'll test it any way coz you say it gives higher resolution than 1280x720.

I made another try using the vanilla lion kexts for X3100 with modifying the device ID to 2a42 ... it worked fine in safe mode (-x) in both 32 and 64 modes but caused system reboot in normal mode even after removing all my custom kexts .. I 'll try listing all none-safe-mode kexts and loading them manually to see where the conflict comes from.

I have 8 GB ram so I need the 64bit .. I have all works fine except the Graphics and HDA ... will keep posting the results.

Thx

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts

I have 8 GB ram so I need the 64bit

That's a non-issue, OS X is not like Windows.

When running in 32-bit kernel and drivers mode OS X can run 64-bit applications and use up to a total of 32GB RAM. Each running process can access up to 4GB RAM.

kenia1234

kenia1234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey guys!

Is there any update with the driver for this graphic card? It's embedded in my laptop and I cannot change it unfortunately!!

I have a blazing fast lion without graphic driver!! It's so sad!! LOL

however has anyone tried the solution posted by bijan here? :

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1759035

it doesn't work for me!

Waiting for your answers!!

xWaLeEdOoOx

xWaLeEdOoOx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
guys thanks for the good work, i've been using chameleon v2 and it's working brilliently except the QE/CI ofcource.. maybe this thing can help?!! http://cateee.net/lk...b/DRM_I915.html

saigon_vietnam09

saigon_vietnam09

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everybody.

I'm using Intel DG41RQ Motherboard with X4500 on-board. Installed Lion, and I can't config the Resolution(allow 1024x768 only, when my Display is 1366x768). I've tried all the way to make Lion display 1366x768, but nothing's work.
My Device ID is 0x2e32, Vendor is 0x8086, Revision ID is 0x0003.

Please help me to make Lion display correctly.
Thanks a lot.

GhaleonX

GhaleonX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Would be great if we could figure out a way to get qe/ci working. Has anyone tried modifying chameleon's GraphicsEnabler?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts
There is nothing to modify. GraphicsEnabler is a device properties injector, not a driver.
Video cards need drivers to work and there is no driver for the GMA 4500.

Braixen

Braixen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
I have the Intel Series 4 Express Chipset on my laptop, which uses one of the 4500 graphics here.
No QE/CI, although using the Chameleon bootloader for Intel GMA helped a lot.

Luckily I can use Snow Leo on my GMA 950 Compaq PC.

langtudatinh1205

langtudatinh1205

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am still waiting for QE/IC for X4500 :(.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts
Forget it, it will never happen. If you want to run OS X on your next PC, do some research on which parts will work before buying.

algarues

algarues

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Several people have a version of this gpu that is 4500HD

in those particular cases wouldn' t it make more sense to try to hack the intel hdgraphics kexts rather than x3100?

skayred

skayred

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello.

I've installed Lion on my Toshiba L450-11Q, after that I've tryed to install GMA4500M kext in several ways, but always getting normal resolution (1366*768) with very strange displaying (it looks like this: Posted Image)

I've used instruction from http://tonymacx86.co...=29005&start=10 from arikstress post. Is that kext issue or there is a way to enable antialiasing?

debugbr

debugbr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hello.

I've installed Lion on my Toshiba L450-11Q, after that I've tryed to install GMA4500M kext in several ways, but always getting normal resolution (1366*768) with very strange displaying (it looks like this: )

I've used instruction from http://tonymacx86.co...=29005&start=10 from arikstress post. Is that kext issue or there is a way to enable antialiasing?

I think I had this issue before... it was related to the DualLink property on the DSDT file. Maybe if you remove it the graphics will work just fine (don't know). Since I don't use OSX anymore, I can't give you more information than this, sorry.

skayred

skayred

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tryed to remove DualLink property - still gettng aliased picture :(

Biso007

Biso007

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
anyone got this card to work with ML ? as there is no 32bit kernel all patched X3100FB kexts don't work.any one has 64bit version modified for device code 2a42 ?Edit: works with a patched SL kext

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
I know, this is an old thread.

Old, but gold!!

You can use iLife 08, but not iLife 09 since iLife 09 requires Quartz.
And you can run iWork 08 without Quartz, but you need my patch, but forget iWork 09.

WinSucks_4ever, how did you manage to run iLife 08 - specially iMovie! - without quartz extreme? I tried this, but iMovie keep displaying that annoying check for QE that prevents to open it.

Is there any version of iMovie (intel, please) that does not require QE, or at least opens anyway even without QE?

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Old thread, but maybe somebody has an idea how to get

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2e12
Revision ID: 0x0003

working on Mountain Lion 10.8.x

Almost there, using this 64-bit kext on Gateway DU10G with dual DVI/VGA output

But DVI goes black & only VGA gives extended desktop with correct resolution

Ofcourse not being able to use primary desktop there is not much I can do (I can get it to mirror it with keyboard Cmd+F1 shortcut)

If I could only get the DVI display (or make VGA primary) I would be set...

sebus

DJ180

DJ180

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone !!

Could this be it?? Does our graphics finally support QE/CI??

http://www.osxlatitu...l-gma-4500-mhd/

Just saw this post, which is quite new (as u all can see, 23 April 2013)

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Really?

All I see is :
John (JawhnL5) has left osxl along with the research for a GMA 4500 qe/ci solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy