Intel GMA4500 / GL 4x Express Chipset

bboyg

78 posts in this topic

• 8 months later...

This is an old thread, I know, but still. Here are the OpenSource Intel Graphics Drivers for linux.

Maybe, if we use all the knowledge we have, we could port it to OS X.

The features list shows the G4x series aswel, with some features enabled actually ;-)

Here are some resources:

Intel Intergrated Graphics Developer's Guide (direct download)

Porting drivers to OS X

Intel GMA X3100 kexts with QE&CI and 64-bit support.zip

• 4 months later...

Reverse engineering is a very labor intensive process. It requires a specific - and valuable - skill set. Those who have the equipment, experience and time to do it usually get paid to do it.

I don't think anybody is going to write a driver from scratch for obsolete, underpowered on-board video for which there is no developer information available.

It has never happened in all of Hackintosh history and I think it never will. So far, anyone who has attempted to start such a project have failed.

AFAIK the only peripheral driver that has ever been written from scratch, specifically for Hackintosh use (there are no Intel Macs with PCI slots!) was the Envy sound card driver.

But it was written by the same person who wrote the Windows drivers - the developer already had access to anything he needed to know about the hardware. So it doesn't really compare.

Everything else that we have was built upon open source Linux drivers where a developer can go through existing code, see register information and whatever else is needed to "talk" to the hardware.

Please don't get me wrong, you know I'm not knocking the effort of the developers we have!

I'm just trying to make it clear that there is a huge difference between starting with 0 information and starting with information gathered from source code from an already existing driver.

That was the old me talking. I read that and I was like, "Did I write that? I'm the one who offers money before people get to know what they need to do for me?!" I guess we live and learn. You have to forgive the old me who didn't know that we can't survive in this capitalistic world if we don't get paid for each service we provide, which is a fact nobody can deny. I can't believe that it's been merely a year. It really seemed like forever ago. Even a year ago, I never asked someone to do something for me for free, just so you know. Mostly I don't ask people to help me on forums--or IRL--just to avoid people who would question my intentions. I either come up with solutions myself or check out random forums for a solution. It's not that I'm ungrateful or anything as if a simple click really does show appreciation. One thing I learned: if you have something bad, don't waste your time improving it. Instead, focus entirely on getting the good thing and get rid of the bad thing. I used to buy a lot of cheap stuff, but if I were smart enough, I'd save for something powerful once and for all. I hope you get the idea. Commercially speaking, what is old should be wrapped up and buried. Developers are busy doing things that are worth their time, and for that, I wish them luck.