Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was able to install Mac OS X Server 10.6.0 using your method on a Windows 2008 SR2 machine with VMWare 7 Workstation.

But after I applied 10.6.4, the virtual machine shows a CPU error and ask me to reboot all the time.

I tried several times, starting from scratch, on a physical disk, and on a virtual disk.

Does anybody experienced this problem after updating to 10.6.4?

with Albert's virtual OS X under Win7 on an new Imac27 (and on a MacPro early 2008) Preview only shows empty white pages, although it shows the picture thumbnail in the side panel. In iPhoto both editing and magnifying photo's in main window do not work, have to choose another application like Safari to show the photo bigger. Suspect the preview and iPhoto problems are related to the different size or number of pixels used in Vmware?. In Mac OSX server 10.5 preview works correctly in Albert's VM. Deleted preview in Albert's VM and tried Preview version of server 10.5 (using Pacifier to extract it first) in Albert's VM. This is not accepted as right version of preview. Albert, Donk do you have a suggestion how to solve this. For my work with Solid Works and Autocad Inventor I must use Win7 all the time in work time. Albert's solution is perfect for me. I did not try Donk's solution (I am an amateur and it looked a little too complicated for my skills and was afraid to break Windows. (Although in Win7 Winclone also works so far so maybe I should have given Donk's version a try, and spend more effort). I have a large Photo library that I also use with my 3D cad work and I could not find a substitution for iPhoto in Windows or Linux programs. Anyway editing in safari works, but is not as convenient as the normal double click to magnify. For the rest very happy with this solution and still wonder why Apple does not allow mac users to use a VM under microsoft in bootcamp.

Maybe I should try to install iPhoto in server 10.5 as preview works there, iPhoto might work too. Just wary, I read so many things about staying away from server version if you are an amateur like me. I use VM as a safer way to stay connected to Internet, and server version seems less safe if you do not know what you are doing.

Thanks for help if available, Polski

with Albert's virtual OS X under Win7 on an new Imac27 (and on a MacPro early 2008) Preview only shows empty white pages, although it shows the picture thumbnail in the side panel. In iPhoto both editing and magnifying photo's in main window do not work, have to choose another application like Safari to show the photo bigger. Suspect the preview and iPhoto problems are related to the different size or number of pixels used in Vmware?. In Mac OSX server 10.5 preview works correctly in Albert's VM. Deleted preview in Albert's VM and tried Preview version of server 10.5 (using Pacifier to extract it first) in Albert's VM. This is not accepted as right version of preview. Albert, Donk do you have a suggestion how to solve this. For my work with Solid Works and Autocad Inventor I must use Win7 all the time in work time. Albert's solution is perfect for me. I did not try Donk's solution (I am an amateur and it looked a little too complicated for my skills and was afraid to break Windows. (Although in Win7 Winclone also works so far so maybe I should have given Donk's version a try, and spend more effort). I have a large Photo library that I also use with my 3D cad work and I could not find a substitution for iPhoto in Windows or Linux programs. Anyway editing in safari works, but is not as convenient as the normal double click to magnify. For the rest very happy with this solution and still wonder why Apple does not allow mac users to use a VM under microsoft in bootcamp.

Maybe I should try to install iPhoto in server 10.5 as preview works there, iPhoto might work too. Just wary, I read so many things about staying away from server version if you are an amateur like me. I use VM as a safer way to stay connected to Internet, and server version seems less safe if you do not know what you are doing.

Thanks for help if available, Polski

You need VMware to write accelerated video drivers for Mac OS X, and they currently have not done so. Running Mac OS X in a VM is OK, but not a good idea if you want to do video, picture or audio work.

You need VMware to right accelerated video drivers for Mac OS X, and they currently have not done so. Running Mac OS X in a VM is OK, but not a good idea if you want to do video, picture or audio work.

Donk, many thanks, you guys, Abert, Donk, and so many others I do not know are doing a great job to make OS X workable in windows under workstation. I do not really edit or do work in OS X as VM. It is just that as a designer heading our little design group we make a hundred or so versions of a certain machine design, and the fastest way is to browse the designs in iPhoto Nothing is faster for us so far than the double click in iPhoto to enlarge a picture. It is all about speed. Once you come to the point to make decisions you want to go through all the variations and design options fast in order to make easy comparisons and keep the discussion going without waiting all time before a big file slowly loads as happens with 3D Cad programs. We use another Mac (on another desk) to display the CAD screen saved pictures of various designs in iPhoto, but it is much easier to use our standard setup with 2 large monitors, and display the Cad file on one screen and iPhoto on the other screen.

Thanks, we have a very good solution now, and having to use (slower) Safari which is not as fast in iPhoto is a minor annoyance. (a happy) Polski

Can you really use a .dmg to boot this thing up ???

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.4 Server .dmg , but I have to specify to VMWare Workstation ( linux , ubuntu ), to "Show All Files" , then it shows up.

I select it, and then click the "Power On" button.

The apple appears and the spinning circle, but after a while, the Apple disappears and I see this:

screenshot20100623at856.png

I had to convert my dmg image to iso format, vmware couldn´t boot the install from dmg image.

Hello, I have tried to convert it, but maybe I'm doing it incorrectly... what are you using to perform the conversion ???

EDIT: Converted the .dmg with "UltraISO" on my WindowsXP VM, and still get the same error... :P, any ideas ? I really need to get this going

Can you really use a .dmg to boot this thing up ???

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.4 Server .dmg , but I have to specify to VMWare Workstation ( linux , ubuntu ), to "Show All Files" , then it shows up.

I select it, and then click the "Power On" button.

The apple appears and the spinning circle, but after a while, the Apple disappears and I see this:

screenshot20100623at856.png

VMware Workstation can't mount .DMG, you have to use dmg2img to convert it to an .ISO.

VMware Workstation can't mount .DMG, you have to use dmg2img to convert it to an .ISO.

It can on Windows and from Workstation 7.0, been installing that way for ages. May well be different on other platforms. dmg2img works for Windows, and there is an older Perl version that may work for Linux.

Albert you made my day.

While I appreciate all that Donk has done with ESX and getting OSX to run, I'm very happy that workstation can load OSX on it w/o any darwin.iso files, or changing it.

Well the ESX work was derived from running Mac OS X on Workstation, and I spent nearly 3 years building and supporting it. But I completely agree that this is the best way forward. However, if it ever stops working then we can fall-back to the old approach. Enjoy it yourself with this, I carry around a development environment with me and use a real Mac at home. Best of both worlds!

Enjoy it yourself with this, I carry around a development environment with me and use a real Mac at home. Best of both worlds!

Thanks again for both of your efforts

I'm a mac user who sold his MacBook Pro and I'm missing OSX something fiercely. I wanted to build a new desktop which I did - a core i7-930 and its a beast. I'm very happy with it, but I was a but flummoxed at how hard it was to get OSX running on the desktop natively. I found a thread here on how to do it (P6T motherboard) but was turned off on the amount of work required.

I support windows desktops and windows servers for my job, so running windows is a natural fit for me, especially since I have a lot of software already paid for. Still, I like using the mac, but I sold my MacBook Pro to help offset the cost of the new computer (not only offset but paid for it with a little left over).

Now I have a decent running OSX environment and windows running at the same time.

Regards

Mike

I've compiled a walk-through or how to using this method.

How_to.pdf

Hopefully this will make things a little easier on some and take some questions out of the pages for the guys putting all the work in.

If you see an error or have a comment let me know.

Superb walkthrough - got Snow Leopard working a treat on my Dell Vostro 400. Maybe I'll even turn the whole thing into a Hackint0sh some day...

Thank you!

I have a question on which version of the tools should I load. Being an old mac owner, I have a backup/disk image of my MacBook Pro so I have access to the fusion tools and loaded them into my osx installation.

How do those compare to Donk's version found here: insanelymac thread

Also which audio driver works the best? I installed the one that was included in Donk's tools install, but found the volume to be very low. That is I needed to turn the volume all the way up in OSX and very high in windows just to hear anything. Of course I get blown out of my seat when a windows notification blurts in because of the high volume.

Everything is working great, performance is good, but a tad laggy graphic wise when going full screen, which is why I'm asking my first question. Would Donk's provide a better graphic performance then the fusion tools that I installed.

Thanks.

Mike

I've compiled a walk-through or how to using this method.

How_to.pdf

Hopefully this will make things a little easier on some and take some questions out of the pages for the guys putting all the work in.

It´s not a warez forum - remove the links to pirated software in your PDF!

How_to.pdf

Superb walkthrough - got Snow Leopard working a treat on my Dell Vostro 400. Maybe I'll even turn the whole thing into a Hackint0sh some day...

I second the kudos to Albert, Donk, grojom and the countless others who contributed!

I have a Mac Mini running SL at home that I use for development, but my daytime job laptop is a Toshiba. When I travel on business (frequently) I want to work on my XCode stuff at night. I use VMWare WS for work, so this is an ideal solution!

A couple of notes:

1. I followed grojom's instruction PDF. Hopefully he will clean it up and repost for others.

2. I used my retail SL disk and VMW 7.1. Albert's VMWS patch applied with no issues.

3. After install I updated the system with no issues.

4. My initial attempt to install the video/audio patches froze the VM. Trying to open the IMG resulted in a beach ball of death. Needed a hard VM reboot, but then it was fine.

5. I had no sound even after installing the Ensoniq patch, System Profiler said no device installed. It turns out the new VM defaulted to no sound card. I added it to the VM, and sound works now.

6. As reported by others, sound and video are slow. My primary use for this is XCode iPhone development, so performance is really not an issue.

image-96E5_4C2C9D98.jpg

just tested & works with;

VMWare Workstation 7.1, in Windows 7 x64

VMWare Fusion 3.1, in vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6.4 x64

Updated Snow Leopard Client to 10.6.4 with Combo, got sound to show up from the zip file from donk's thread.

Installed VMWare tools from VMWare Fusion 3.1

thank you.

:rolleyes:

Strange error when running windows.bat problems accessing DLL.

This is run as administrator:

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

-----

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation:

File vmware-vmx.exe:

Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac host ...

Unlocking Mac OS X Client guest (method 0) ...

File vmware-vmx-debug.exe:

File vmware-vmx-stats.exe:

File C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll:

Error opening file.

-----

The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.

The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

Strange error when running windows.bat problems accessing DLL.

This is run as administrator:

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

-----

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation:

File vmware-vmx.exe:

File vmware-vmx-debug.exe:

File vmware-vmx-stats.exe:

File C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll:

Error opening file.

-----

The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.

The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

vmware wasn't running when you ran the script was it?

It´s not a warez forum - remove the links to pirated software in your PDF!

Since grojom, the orignal creator of the how-to document seems to have disappeared, I edited out the warez links and reformatted the PDF file. I am NOT taking ownership of the technical content of this document, just re-posting valuable information that I used and found useful. I have received PMs asking for this. :censored2:

Guest_Unlocker_How_to.pdf

Just wanted to thank EVERYONE involved with making this thread, the actual unlocker worked first time and the pdf was extremely well written and easy to follow.

I just need to remember how to stop the HD showing as an internal one, any better way with a VM OS than replacing the icon? (Don't have this trouble with my "real" install) and find out if it's possible to prevent the "VMware shared folder" broken link thing appearing after a reboot...

question, i have installed VMware Workstation on my external hard drive (the F drive) and so the program you have written doesn't detect it, is there any way to edit the file to detect my install, or will i simply have to re-install it to the C drive?

thanks, Jono