10.6.3 nVidia Blank Screen Issue with DVI/HDMI on 9800GT

athena

434 posts in this topic

maybe your backup installation was booted by the chameleon on the main hdd where the vbios was injected?

No, I triplechecked that I was booting from the backup HD and the BIOS is not injected. I selected the USB hard drive from the boot menu of my Mobo BIOS and I have the backup bootloader set at 1024x768 and the main bootloader at 1920x120. So, the difference between both is HUGE, therefore I can tell which disk I'm booting from.

The only settings in common between my two bootloaders is the PciRoot=1 and GraphicsEnabler=1. I don't know if PciRoot=1 has some effect on this.

I have attached a screenshot of my system profiler showing that my BIOS version on my backup installation is "XXXXX - internal" and the contents of the com.apple.Boot.plist for the backup HD. Notice that with either injecting the bios or not, on the Screens preference pane, I have HDTV resolutions available to select.

Cheers!

post-377175-1274929316_thumb.png

macpro8800gt.rom works here for xfx 9800gtx+ 512mb 2xdvi 1xtvo AND in other hackintosh for gainward gts250 512mb 1xdvi 1xhdmi 1xvga.

Hi All, Unfortunately with my 9800GTX+ the MacPro8800GT.ROM injection only worked halfway with the DVI-HDMI

Let me explain, I have tried my own bios injection no luck, blank screen

Tried injecting the MacPro8800GT.ROM, thought it was working because it got to my desktop full QE/CI but then within 10seconds it freezes, with video artifacts.

I have gone back to DVI-VGA. I'm out of ideas.

Cheers

Sammy

Success !!!!!

I finally got my HDMI display working on my production system ( please see system specs in my signature ). I first tried using el_charlie's method of extracting my video rom with NiBiTor ( and XP ) and then modifying my com.apple.Boot.plist. I remove the EFI string and added the following:-

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>VideoROM</key>

<string>NVIDIA.rom</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

This still did not work so I tried bigfish's macpro8800gt.rom and renamed it NVIDIA.rom.

( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219232 )

Bingo, my system now boot 10.6.3 with DVI to HDMI.

Big thanks to bigfish and el_charlie !!

This trick did not work for me. I am still pretty new with OSX so i could not find the log files to check if chameleon loads the NVIDIA.rom.

I noticed that the german post from bigfish stated something about unregistering your 9800GT in dsdt.aml.

die einträge für die grafik aus der dsdt.aml entfernen

I tried the DSDT editor from EvOSX86 but that app has a bug so i could not check the contents of my dsdt.aml file. Tried to find another editor but have not found one yet.

Anybody a suggestion? or some information how to check if the NVIDIA.rom is actually loaded or to check what is in dsdt.aml?

Success !!!!!

I tried bigfish's macpro8800gt.rom and renamed it NVIDIA.rom.

( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219232 )

Hi, I also have a 9800GTX+ 1GB but with your method (modifying the plist file + NVIDIA.rom) I only got software mode working, the GPU acceleration disappears even though I forced it in OSX86 tools.

When I check the system profiler, the video card seem to be : NVIDIA 16Mb.

I don't know what I did wrong. Please confirm that you have Quartz GL fully up with this technique.

Thank you.

I have a GTS 250 and just got an HDTV, and it only has HDMI and Component

and yea as soon as I hook up a DVI to HDMI adapter the Hackintosh locks up,

I tried most of what was in this thread, nothing works :rolleyes:

I did get it working, I went out and got a VGA to Component Transcoder, the

one I am using is the "Audio Authority 9A60" its not as sharp as VGA or DVI,

but it works, I am using "SwitchResX" to setup the correct HDTV resolutions,

its not a "real fix" but it does work

in the systemprofiler --> "ROM-Version: xx.xx.xx - NVIDIA.rom"

check the dsdt.aml try this one...

I seems it will not load the nvidia.rom.

I got "ROM-Version: xx.xx.xx - internal

Gonna try your dsdt.aml now.

Thanx!

This version of DSDTSE also gives me an exception of class NilObjectException so cannot look in my dsdt.aml.

Get the latest version of DSDTSE here:

http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

And the latest version of iasl here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189272

You can use it to upgrade the iasl compiler that's included with DSDTSE. Right-click iaslme.app, click show contents, find the iasl binary, open DSDTSE.app in the same way and copy the new iasl there.

If you find an iasl binary in ~/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT, replace that with the new one as well.

No version of DSDTSE works for me, all errors on starting the application. BUT I could decompile the dsdt.aml with cmd line iasl but there is no reference to my 9800gt or something with nvidia in it. I tried putting the NVIDIA.rom in /extras and directly on the root, I tried to play a bit with the capitals in the filename but no combination will give me the nvidia.rom in the system profiler (and with hdmi connected SL keeps on crashing). Happen to know any other factors that could prevent chameleon from loading the nvidia.rom?

Problem solved. I was apparently using another boot loader nl. AsereBLN Booter - Based on Chameleon RC4 / PCEFI10.5 which needs different parameters.

1. had to rename macpro8800gt.rom -> 10de_0614.rom and put it in /Extra

2. had to put this in boot.plist

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

Now everything works!

Very happy with the usb kakewalk method!

come to think of it, trying this rom trick, i am having the same issue getting it to actually load. it still says "internal" in there for me as well. anyone have any idea why?

you must remove from the dsdt.aml and com.apple.boot.plist any graphic strings...put the rom in extra folder and copy this to the boot.plist:

<string>Yes</string>

<key>VideoROM</key>

<string>nvidia.rom</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219232

I have XFX 9800GT 512MB dual DVI Ports. This workaround does not work for me.

When I set it to load this MacPro8800GT ROM as per bigfish instruction. I get video(no blank screen) over dvi/hdmi connection(cable with DVI male on one end and HDMI male on the other). But soon after login my display freezes. It does that as soon as I do something that would trigger QE/CI.

I dumped my XFX 9800GT rom and its 64kb vs 128kb for Mac version.

My VGA cable using DVI/VGA converter works fine.

Did anyone run into something like this?

What bootloader do you use?

PCEFI 10.6 which I think is based on Chameleon RC3. I have tried RC4 as well with same results. When I use custom ROM I think it is loading for sure because the resolution changes on next boot. Also shows up in the Sys profiler.

you must remove from the dsdt.aml and com.apple.boot.plist any graphic strings...put the rom in extra folder and copy this to the boot.plist:

<string>Yes</string>

<key>VideoROM</key>

<string>nvidia.rom</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219232

Please note that you have to rename the rom file according to the VideoROM parameter even with capital letters if they exist.

In the above case the rom has to be named nvidia.rom; all letters with lower case.

If on System Profiler appears "internal", the user has to try again and check.

Cheers!

so after crawling through every post in this thread, I was excited to finally try to nvidia .rom solution with my 9800GT HDMI output. I had the same confusion, however, about how to get the damn .rom loaded (as I've read about 9 different ways of changing the boot.plist to load it...

I finally figured out that as I am using the AsereBLN 1.1.9 bootloader, the real solution is found here:

http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644

Where it is stated:

ATI and nVidia Video-ROM-Files must be renamed to <vendorid>_<deviceid>.rom and must be put into the Extra folder. vendorid and deviceid as 4-digit hex values without a leading 0x. For instance, a nVidia 9400 GT (55nm) has the vendorid "0x10DE" and the deviceid "0x0641", so the filename must be "10de_0641.rom". To enable nVidia VGA BIOS File Loading use: UseNvidiaROM=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist. To enable ATI VGA BIOS File Loading use: UseAtiROM=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist.

this explained what hypnotic4life was talking about earlier in renaming his .rom file to something odd. SO, for all you Kakewalk and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] users out there (AsereBLN 1.1.9 chameleon bootloaders), this is the EXACT format you must use, with the renamed file in the /Extra folder:

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

No path to the file, no filename needed - just these two lines and you can see the results in System Profiler (" ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - /Extra/10de_0614.rom")

So I was totally happy to have my 8800gt rom finally loaded (after 2 days of trying), but when I plugged in my hdmi cable to my projector, the same screen lock up happened yet again. @#$@!

So I added the last bit to the boot.plist:

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

(which isn't mentioned at all in AsereBLN's release docs - but hypnotic4life included it - can anyone explain what it does??)

With all 3 keys included, I rebooted, and to my surprise, with only a single DVI cable attached, the system prefs showed a second VGA display at 800x600. System Profile confirmed. Weird. But I plugged in the Holy Grail HDMI cable and waited for disaster.... no freeze! But no picture on my projector either :-(

So it seems I've got the screen lockup over HDMI solved, but this 8800GT rom that's been linked to (bigfish?) doesn't seem to quite match up with my Gigabyte 9800GT...

options??