PDA/Mobile Skin! mobile.osx86project.org

Swad

14 posts in this topic

Check out our new skin for PDA's and mobile phone! It's called "Insanely Simple" and can be found by clicking on the drop down button at the bottom-left hand corner of your screen.

Enjoy!

postimg on it now! at the coffee shop with nothing to do at 3am in the morning but talk politics, discuss how to make lots of money, and browse the net :(.

gee the footer on this skin looked nothing like the screen shot on the dev's site :D.

gee the footer on this skin looked nothing like the screen shot on the dev's site :).

actually it looks fine now that i set the display to "desktop" instead of "fit to screen". it was just that some of the item in the drop down selection are too long and causes the selection bar to go furthur than the actual screen size. it still looks great though.

I have a thought.. One shouldn't have to point to mobile.osx86project.org or the skin ID in order to get the skins to show on the machine. I recall seeing a script that will forward you to the subdomain PDA skin if it detects you are using Pocket IE or some other mobile browser. umm, I don't even tink it's a script, rather a inserted instruction to the forum script.

Another thing I was thinking is that sessions shouldn't be stored in the db. It should be cookied so you don't have to change either skins when browsing your PDA or your desktop.

Edited by domino

Another thing I was thinking is that sessions shouldn't be stored in the db. It should be cookied so you don't have to change either skins when browsing your PDA or your desktop.

I fixed that already. Now mobile automatically forces you into PDA. When you visit the regular site it's back to your preference.

I cleared cache and cookies for both Opera Mobile and PIE, then trie to browse this site. I stayed in full skin and it never forwarded me to the proper skin. Do it have an entry for Pocket PCs? Your script is prolly seeing my mobile as a desktop,

Edit:

Your fix worked sHARD>>. Thanks....

I'll looking into those instructions and post if here If you have not found the script already...

Domino, if you can find that script, we'd be interested. :(

Well i'm not really sure if browser sniffing is practical for today's Pocket PC users. I just remembered that i changed my browser prefs to IE5.5 compat. So this is useless unless the person browsing with the PDA actually remembers to set the browser prefs back to default. Another thing to think about is there are a whole lotta mobile devices and OS versions available in the market compared to 2yrs ago. So even if it's a small script, you would have a list of 20 - 30 mobile products and browser combinations. The script would actually degrade performance than help the visitors. I'll do some more research on the subject.

Here's a good site devs might want to look into: http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/index.php

PS. The script I have is for vBull.

• 4 months later...