Beta Universal 46xx install package

ameris_cyning

81 posts in this topic

how do you know when some card work?

Ahh .. do I really have to answer this? My goodness!!! Unbelievable.

From my post 22: (dude, this is just post #27 ... you did not even bother reading that first?)

There are also cases that you have to plug HDMI and DVI at the same just to have output in ONE monitor. Some works when using a dongle... so it is really different. But in q64ceo's and my case, since we have the exact same video card (EAH4650), we only have outputs in VGA or when using DVI to VGA dongle.

Again .. in bold: we have the exact same video card (EAH4650) .. that is why I know it works.

If you ask why I know some DOES NOT work? Because I read other posts and go the IRC and read what they are talking about. I just dont sit around waiting for others to find a solution and do nothing. I also try some stuff even though I'm not a Guru. I suggest you do the same thing too before asking that question.

Hey q64ceo,

Are you having intermittent mouse lags? When I was trying some port/dongles combination, I noticed that when I am only using one port (e.g DVI to VGA dongle) I encounter mouse lags but not all the time. But when I used two ports of my video card and connect it at the same time. Right now, I am using DVI (DVI to VGA) and HDMI (HDMI to DVI) it never had mouse lags. BTW, do you remember we were talking about not clear or blurry text on IRC? I somewhat made it better using SwitchResX. I'm still trying to how to recreate it because I just made it by accident. I know the trick is just some combination Display configuration from SwitchResX and mirror.

Right now, I'm also trying EFI String and so far no luck. Did you fix your system already?

EDIT: I had a friend bring over his desktop computer from Asia (made by some local company) and it also has a 4650 512mb on it. Tried OSX via External USB hdd and so far it installed smoothly, updated to 10.6.2. Then tried installing GFX. No matter what combination of boot, config, cables, monitors, and kext I tried , it won't work. Unfortunately, I can't open up the box because it is still under warranty and there is a sticker that seals it. Gpuz and other tools just gives basic devid and ven id which is the same as other 4650. I was hoping to get the exact model name so I could share for people to stay away from that card.

I got it working.

I've got sapphire hd4670 512mb with vga/hdmi/dvi and with vanilla drivers i got blank screen(even on -x).

After installing(from 10.5.8, and then trying on 10.6.2 again) drivers it showed kexts(4600controller, and x2000) can't be loaded, dunno why. Anyway, it somehow works on dvi2vga adapter(without having to plugin hdmi.. i don't have one so it's good), but i had to force 1680x1050 resolution by com.apple.boot(normally only 1024x768).

Also, in sys preferences it shows wrong res 1400x1050, and only 256mb ram instead of 512mb.

Guess it can't be helped, at least i'm happy with not having to boot safemode(so ntfs partitions, and everything other) work.

Thanks for the drivers.

edit: not good, pictures doesn't show in preview app(blank space instead of pic), also in Pages there's only blank space instead of document... it's the same as in safe mode

SO... I have an HIS ATI Radeon HD4670 512Mb (GDDR3) w/dual-DVI (+ S-video) output which I have finally gotten to work and be fully recognized- with QE/CI.

My "trick"/solution (or at least one of them... that works for now) AND the catch:

Dispite being dual-DVI output (+ S-video which I haven't touched), I only get a picture when I have a monitor connected (via DVI-VGA) to BOTH outputs (or at least a DVI-VGA dongle plugged in with a monitor hooked up to one of them). Both of my monitors have VGA, DVI & HDMI inputs so I have tried every combination possible with the cables and dongles at my disposal- I think I've gotten them all. That's the only way I get ANY picture (for the time being)! I'm using all vanilla kexts and Chameleon 2 RC4.

The catch is... They both display the same thing- like they're mirrored. Doesn't matter which output (as long as the VGA dongle is on both), the computer is only recognizing one of them- so there's no option to turn off mirroring or enable another display.

I've tried using SwitchResX (which has helped me in the past with my old nVidia card), but it had no effect this time.

I've just ordered a HIS ATI Radeon HD4650 w/512Mb which has a VGA, DVI & HDMI outputs. I intend to set up crossfire in windows to see how it works and play with it a bit. Having this 2nd card will definitely give me support for my second display in OS X...

Does anybody have any idea if crossfire is supported or if/how it will (not/might) work in Snow Leopard?

If I can't have them linked, that's fine. Either way I'll get full use of both displays...

But the picture is gorgeous and the card is performing beautifully. It will be real nice to have something different on each one... LOL

I will report my findings here- hopefully it may help someone.

I kept messing with the drivers, and i've got some questions:

Looking at 'About This Mac' -> 'More Info' -> Software/Extensions

Do you guys have ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext on the list?

And second thing: what could KextUtility do with the drivers? Because:

If i have vanilla drivers, I've got blank screen vga or dvi.

When I install q64ceo's beta drivers package from 1st post, It works both for vga and dvi(with dvi2vga adapter), but only 1024x768(unless i modify com.apple.boot for higher res), and i think QE/CI doesn't work(some things like screensaver or chess works, but preview and iWork are blank).

And with those drivers installed, if I run KextUtility(it does something i have no idea about for a minute or two), then i get blank screen again. Does it restore vanilla drivers back, or it does make beta drivers work in OS as they should(with highres, qe/ci maybe), but with blank screen?

Anyway, maybe i do something wrong with installing?

Everything I've done:

-installed pc_efi 10.5, or beta booter(both works the same for me)

-added to com.apple.boot.plist(one in bootloader's /Extra folder): GraphicsEnabler=y, arch=i386(-x32 flag is the same?), -f(what is it for? it doesn't look like helping in anything); I've also tried -pci0, or -pci1, but they do nothing

-installed package from the first post

Maybe I've missed something? Should I copy kext's to bootloader's /Extra folder, or should they be in /System/Library/Extensions?

EDIT: HELL YEAAAH

PC_EFI 10.5 (no beta booter) + vanilla kexts + VGA = at last I could view my lovely toradora christmas pic on preview :)

btw. 64bit also works, but i got stragne screen flicks(when opening menus etc), so i use -x32

I kept messing with the drivers, and i've got some questions:

Looking at 'About This Mac' -> 'More Info' -> Software/Extensions

Do you guys have ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext on the list?

And second thing: what could KextUtility do with the drivers? Because:

If i have vanilla drivers, I've got blank screen vga or dvi.

When I install q64ceo's beta drivers package from 1st post, It works both for vga and dvi(with dvi2vga adapter), but only 1024x768(unless i modify com.apple.boot for higher res), and i think QE/CI doesn't work(some things like screensaver or chess works, but preview and iWork are blank).

And with those drivers installed, if I run KextUtility(it does something i have no idea about for a minute or two), then i get blank screen again. Does it restore vanilla drivers back, or it does make beta drivers work in OS as they should(with highres, qe/ci maybe), but with blank screen?

Anyway, maybe i do something wrong with installing?

Everything I've done:

-installed pc_efi 10.5, or beta booter(both works the same for me)

-added to com.apple.boot.plist(one in bootloader's /Extra folder): GraphicsEnabler=y, arch=i386(-x32 flag is the same?), -f(what is it for? it doesn't look like helping in anything); I've also tried -pci0, or -pci1, but they do nothing

-installed package from the first post

Maybe I've missed something? Should I copy kext's to bootloader's /Extra folder, or should they be in /System/Library/Extensions?

EDIT: HELL YEAAAH

PC_EFI 10.5 (no beta booter) + vanilla kexts + VGA = at last I could view my lovely toradora christmas pic on preview :P

btw. 64bit also works, but i got stragne screen flicks(when opening menus etc), so i use -x32

Repairing disk permission should be fine but you can also try:

sudo -s

(type password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel *

chmod -R 755 *

kextload ATIRadeonX2000.kext

kextload ATI4600Controller.kext

then reboot

Hi q64ceo.

Thank you for making this. I have tried for days to get my card to work. My card has two device ID's 0xaa38 and 0x9490 (according to ubuntu 7.04).

It is an HIS H467QS1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB. With your package I get a basic resolution but no kexts are loaded. Without your install package I get kernel panics or it hangs at dsmos has arrived.

Thanks for your help.

Alright, I hope this helps someone with the issues I got. For the last 2 weeks I have tried to get this fraking thing to work with no luck. I can get leopard to work with everything except the right video res, but this snow leopard seems too elusive and my patience is pretty much gone. If anyone knows how to get the video to work properly on Leopard, I can live without the stupid SL, please let me know, your help would be most appreciated.

Now the Specs:

MB Intel d945sg

CPU Q9550 quad core 2.83 1333 FSB

4GB of Ram 1333

Seagate 7200RPM 32mb cache SATA2

ATI HD 4670 Powercolor 2xDVI (only) 1GB DDR3

Phillips SATA DVDRW 20X

My Mac Version is Mac OSX86 Universal 3.6, but have tried versions Universal 3.5, Hazard, and retail. Have used all of netkas boots and kexts. Have found some more online, (google), and nothing too.

Now for my rant.

The Universal 3.6 does what 3.5 does, panics at the boot, freezes or panic at ati2000 kexts. If I remove all of the ATI kexts, by just deleting them, it boots, but it doesn't detect anything at all for anything else, usb, network card, etc. If I use the netkas stuff by replacing the kexts for ati 4500-4600-4800, plus use the 2 boot loaders they have there or the original Universal boot loaders for 3.5-3.6, I get broken graphics and it freezes.

Now for the retail version; the dumb thing will just restart on its own half way through the install and not finish installing.

For the Hazard version recently released, the disk will install and do everything until you choose to boot to SL and bam! Freeze again.

Hopefully this will help someone not waste the many DVD's I have wasted. Trash guy is probably wondering what the hell is going on! LOL!

Here is my original post I posted 2 weeks ago with the problems I have tried to solve with some help by "some". http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1376734

If anyone knows anything else, I'll give it a try, but right now, I'm so broken hearted that I don't know if I can take any more disappointment.

Cheers!

To ace0022 (nice handle- my b-day is the 22nd):

Have you thought about investing in a couple USB flash drives (to save you from wasting DVDs). I went through the same thing for a while and restoring DMGs or ISOs to flash drives is awesome- they load faster PLUS you can edit them and patch and what-not if necessary. Seriously, it's AWESOME!

I don't know if you have adopted this or a similar practice, but I've found it EXTREMELY useful to back up my extensions folder (in an untouched state) as soon as I install renaming it as: Extensions - 10.6 (or Extensions - 10.6.1/10.6.2a-y) Then backing it up again just before I install an OS update naming it: Extensions 10.6.z (I save a-y for any intermediate configurations which work nicely). It "wastes" some space, but it's worth it to always have original, pristine versions of everything in case something gets messed up.

I would recommend you to to a fresh, retail install of Snow Leopard (if possible). Download the 10.6.2 combo upgrade- follow netkas instructions to install that and go from there. I have been able to get both of my cards (HIS 4650 & 4670) working with only the vanilla kexts- with minimal minor changes to the Info.plist files.

I was through similar problems as you're describing which took me TOO LONG to resolve. I've noticed that the solutions to most (MANY) of the issues people have had regarding the 4600 series have involved various configurations of specific outputs & combinations of dongles. My card (4670) is dual DVI out (+ s-video), the only way it works if I have a DVI to VGA dongle plugged into BOTH outputs, they both put out the same signal (I haven't found any resolution to that) and it doesn't matter which one I actually have the monitor plugged into). Some have reported that only certain outputs work, with only certain combinations of dongles being plugged it or having nothing plugged in certain outputs. I could suggest you experiement with that once you have 10.6.2 installed with minimal "Extra" kexts. It is tiresome and frustrating, but would predict that you would find some success with that- don't forget to try both 32 & 64 bit modes with each dongle/output configuration- that has also been a key component for some cards.

Happy New Year and good luck!

Here is read out from System profiler for my Sapphire 9400 GT 1024mb

In OSX 10.5.8 it worked very well and seems to work fine in 10.6.0 but System profiler doesn't say anything about QE or accelerated like it use to in 10.5.8. Does this mean its not working to it's full potential?

My System is ASUS P5QL Pro Intel Quad Core Q8200 2.33 GHz, Bunch of Sata drives, 4 gigs ram, Linksys WMP300N (using broadcom drivers)

Hope this is useful info for someone.

nVidia GeForce 9400 GT:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0641

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Philips 220SW:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Hope this is useful info for someone.

nVidia GeForce 9400 GT:

Thanks happy8995- your helpful attitude is appreciated; however, this topic is actually intended for the discussion of ATI graphics cards by their users/owners. Your card is not an ATI card, as you stated it is nVidia. Go to the blue bar at the top of page and navigate back up to "Graphics Cards" and then click on "nVidia". There you may find a relevant arena to share your statistics.

By the way- to all the ATI 4600 series users/owners:

Has anyone had any success with configuring dual-monitors with their card?

I've got dual monitors working, but it's only with two cards, and apparently it is only possible to have QE/CI enabled on one graphics card (not sure why, if it's just with ATI cards or what).

Hi!

I will try this with my Asus EAH4670 512mb GDDR3 tomorrow.

Now i'm with a 1024 x768 resolution and "poor" colors. I hope your kext make my Osx86 looks better

Thanks!

EDIT: I install your kext but I can't see diferences between before and now, its the same resolution and I can't modify it

Pantalla:

Tipo: Pantalla

Anchura de canal PCIe: x16

VRAM (total): 256 MB

Fabricante: ATI (0x1002)

ID del dispositivo: 0x9490

ID de la revisión: 0x0000

Información de la extensión del kernel: Ninguna extensión de kernel (kext) cargada

Pantallas:

Pantalla:

Resolución: 1024 x 768

Profundidad: Color de 32 bits

Core Image: Software

Pantalla principal: Sí

Duplicado: Desactivado

En línea: Sí

Quartz Extreme: Incompatible/code]

(sorry for my bad english)

Hi!

I will try this with my Asus EAH4670 512mb GDDR3 tomorrow.

Now i'm with a 1024 x768 resolution and "poor" colors. I hope your kext make my Osx86 looks better

Thanks!

EDIT: I install your kext but I can't see diferences between before and now, its the same resolution and I can't modify it

Pantalla:

Tipo: Pantalla

Anchura de canal PCIe: x16

VRAM (total): 256 MB

Fabricante: ATI (0x1002)

ID del dispositivo: 0x9490

ID de la revisi?0x0000

Informaci?e la extensi?el kernel: Ninguna extensi?e kernel (kext) cargada

Pantallas:

Pantalla:

Resoluci?1024 x 768

Profundidad: Color de 32 bits

Core Image: Software

Pantalla principal: St;br /> Duplicado: Desactivado

En la: St;br /> Quartz Extreme: Incompatible/code]

(sorry for my bad english)

The installer is for [b]Snow Leopard[/b], your system is [b]Leopard!

[/b]If it works, for you is a miracle.

Giorgio

The installer is for Snow Leopard, your system is Leopard!

If it works, for you is a miracle.

Giorgio

OMG!!! I'm... i'm... I'm... :D

:unsure: :unsure:

EDIT: Do yo know any kext for my graphics card and leopard?

To ace0022 (nice handle- my b-day is the 22nd):

Have you thought about investing in a couple USB flash drives (to save you from wasting DVDs). I went through the same thing for a while and restoring DMGs or ISOs to flash drives is awesome- they load faster PLUS you can edit them and patch and what-not if necessary. Seriously, it's AWESOME!

I don't know if you have adopted this or a similar practice, but I've found it EXTREMELY useful to back up my extensions folder (in an untouched state) as soon as I install renaming it as: Extensions - 10.6 (or Extensions - 10.6.1/10.6.2a-y) Then backing it up again just before I install an OS update naming it: Extensions 10.6.z (I save a-y for any intermediate configurations which work nicely). It "wastes" some space, but it's worth it to always have original, pristine versions of everything in case something gets messed up.

I would recommend you to to a fresh, retail install of Snow Leopard (if possible). Download the 10.6.2 combo upgrade- follow netkas instructions to install that and go from there. I have been able to get both of my cards (HIS 4650 & 4670) working with only the vanilla kexts- with minimal minor changes to the Info.plist files.

I was through similar problems as you're describing which took me TOO LONG to resolve. I've noticed that the solutions to most (MANY) of the issues people have had regarding the 4600 series have involved various configurations of specific outputs & combinations of dongles. My card (4670) is dual DVI out (+ s-video), the only way it works if I have a DVI to VGA dongle plugged into BOTH outputs, they both put out the same signal (I haven't found any resolution to that) and it doesn't matter which one I actually have the monitor plugged into). Some have reported that only certain outputs work, with only certain combinations of dongles being plugged it or having nothing plugged in certain outputs. I could suggest you experiement with that once you have 10.6.2 installed with minimal "Extra" kexts. It is tiresome and frustrating, but would predict that you would find some success with that- don't forget to try both 32 & 64 bit modes with each dongle/output configuration- that has also been a key component for some cards.

Happy New Year and good luck!

to AuralArchitect,

I'll give it a shot again as soon as I'm done with the test I got coming up. Don't want to get frustrated again trying to get this to work in the middle of a big test! LOL! I'll post my findings once I get it going.

THANK YOU!!!

Device ID 0x09490

Chipset model: ATI Radeon HD 4600

Type GPU

bus PCIe

8x:( <I had to melt the slot to fit a 16x card>

no qe/ci but {censored} its accelerated color!

Im using a 1" dell rackmount server, and I hope to get this card going with 10.6.2 or .3 so I can release a thumbdrive hoem (hacked oem) with your package.

otherwise ill sell it and just go nvidia:(

but this card is awesome for the power usage (about 70watts), 1 slot

piece

youtube.com/fr3qnast3

good idea and using 1gb 4670 with these ids (Gigabyte 1gb gddr3)

0x9490

RV 730 XT

I have visiontek, same ID

it has 1 hdmi, 1 dvi, 1 vga

how about yours? same?

:)

This works great (as fas as I can tell) on my Club3D Radeon 4650 512MB, 1002/9498. QE/CI/Resolution Switching works. I use a VGA monitor.

Thanks!!

Really?! That's great news! I had read a lot of posts saying that QE/CI is not supported on the 4650s... I am using my 4650 as a secondary card- and it seems that there is no way to get ANY two ATI cards both working with QE/CI. But maybe... HOPEFULLY there actually is a way to have QE/CI with multiple ATI HD 4xxx series cards, or Apple will it happen with a future update. I would also like to learn if dual-monitor support from the ATI HD 4xxx series is possible- if so HOW? and if not WHY?

Anyway- THANKs! Glad to hear you got your card working! :-)