OSXRestart.kext

Master Chief

173 posts in this topic

For some reason it doesn't work well on my P5Q Pro Turbo, running 10.6.2.

I get probably one reboot out of 10 tries, otherwise it hangs after the screen goes blank and have to hit the reset button.

I have the same problem with openhaltrestart, but evorestart works well.

Okay - will do it and report back......

To be honest, I am not sure why I am working at this as OpenHaltRestart works fine for me (!), but I am just intrigued to see what it is with my kexts or the board (or DSDT) that is blocking your kext from working.

I'll let you know results tomorrow.

Cheers,

Good for you that you have the courage to deep a little deeper. That's the spirit we need on insanelymac.com (and ditto sites) or the hackintosh community will be void one day soon. After all, Apple only needs to change something and we're back to squire one again. That's when people like you, people with the same kind of spirit come in handy.

Thanks!

does not work on netkas boot disc trying to clean install SL onto EP45-DS3L with ati 4870 1024. constant reboot mode

Sorry, but your constant reboots cannot be caused by OSXRestart.kext That's impossible.

For some reason it doesn't work well on my P5Q Pro Turbo, running 10.6.2. I get probably one reboot out of 10 tries, otherwise it hangs after the screen goes blank and have to hit the reset button.

I have the same problem with openhaltrestart, but evorestart works well.

Which means that my method is supported by your motherboard. And I know because I checked, and thus something hangs.

You might want to try the -v (verbose mode) boot option to see what is going on. No guarantee that it will show you anything, but it might help.

Let me add a note in post #1 about this...

Good for you that you have the courage to deep a little deeper. That's the spirit we need on insanelymac.com (and ditto sites) or the hackintosh community will be void one day soon. After all, Apple only needs to change something and we're back to squire one again. That's when people like you, people with the same kind of spirit come in handy.

Thanks!

Well, lots of tests done, but not good news to report.

Firstly, got rid of the kexts identified (permissions repaired, caches rebuilt, double checked with kextstat etc) and no improvement in functionality.

Then I tried hardware: removed PCIe airport card and USB BT dongle. Still no joy....

I even tried using with a clean Snow install to an eSata connected drive.

Finally, tried booting without DSDT. Still no good result.

Only thing not tried so far has been removal of all USB devices - I did not want to do that as I boot from USB sticks so that I can easily make changes, so do not want to have my extra folder on the boot partition itself.

Perhaps the issue is the board itself. Notable here is that it is not all intel hardware and uses the MCP79 Nvidia chipset to control many functions including SATA and USB - though isn't that also the case for the Asus P5N7A-VM?

Thoughts welcomed...

Well, lots of tests done, but not good news to report.

Firstly, got rid of the kexts identified (permissions repaired, caches rebuilt, double checked with kextstat etc) and no improvement in functionality.

Then I tried hardware: removed PCIe airport card and USB BT dongle. Still no joy....

I even tried using with a clean Snow install to an eSata connected drive.

Finally, tried booting without DSDT. Still no good result.

Only thing not tried so far has been removal of all USB devices - I did not want to do that as I boot from USB sticks so that I can easily make changes, so do not want to have my extra folder on the boot partition itself.

Perhaps the issue is the board itself. Notable here is that it is not all intel hardware and uses the MCP79 Nvidia chipset to control many functions including SATA and USB - though isn't that also the case for the Asus P5N7A-VM?

Thoughts welcomed...

Please attach your ACPI dump (DSDT, SSDT, FACP tables) in a ZIP file and I'll look at it a.s.a.p.

Please attach your ACPI dump (DSDT, SSDT, FACP tables) in a ZIP file and I'll look at it a.s.a.p.

Okay - here you go. In the compressed folder there is another folder with all the original (unadulterated) ACPI dumps from linux for my board, plus a separate dsdt.aml which is the one I am currently using.

Please feel free to criticise the fixes in my own DSDT as I mostly worked as an intelligent monkey building on the excellent work of others without having a deep understanding of DSDT. For instance my fixes to try and get the shutdown menu to show on PWRB sleep don't work. I welcome any input from someone who obviously does understand this better than me.

Anyway, in this instance fixes to my own DSDT are completely off topic, and I hope my ACPI dump provides you with a clue to making your kext a little more universal - or reveals why my own example does not work with it ACPI_plus.zip

Okay - here you go. In the compressed folder there is another folder with all the original (unadulterated) ACPI dumps from linux for my board, plus a separate dsdt.aml which is the one I am currently using.

Please feel free to criticise the fixes in my own DSDT as I mostly worked as an intelligent monkey building on the excellent work of others without having a deep understanding of DSDT. For instance my fixes to try and get the shutdown menu to show on PWRB sleep don't work. I welcome any input from someone who obviously does understand this better than me.

Anyway, in this instance fixes to my own DSDT are completely off topic, and I hope my ACPI dump provides you with a clue to making your kext a little more universal - or reveals why my own example does not work with it

Thanks. And unfortunately for you... your FACP table data is incompatible with OSXRestart.kext The reasons for this is that it is missing essential data. Stuff I am working with.

This might be the case for all boards with NVIDIA chipsets, but like I wrote in post #1 I wrote OSXRestart.kext for Intel based boards. This shows yet again how important ACPI table data is.

And no I haven't looked at your DSDT since that is indeed off topic.

The question remains now, if and what I should add to support non-Intel based boards. I'll update post #1 and attach my FACP table as working example. So that people here know what to look for.

Thank you for all testing. You did a great job. Thanks again!

Thanks. And unfortunately for you... your FACP table data is incompatible with OSXRestart.kext The reasons for this is that it is missing essential data. Stuff I am working with.

This might be the case for all boards with NVIDIA chipsets, but like I wrote in post #1 I wrote OSXRestart.kext for Intel based boards. This shows yet again how important ACPI table data is.

And no I haven't looked at your DSDT since that is indeed off topic.

The question remains now, if and what I should add to support non-Intel based boards. I'll update post #1 and attach my FACP table as working example. So that people here know what to look for.

Thank you for all testing. You did a great job. Thanks again!

Glad to be of help ;)

Master Chief

I've already upload my fadt here!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1341752

I missed it. Sorry. Had a quick look at it, and unfortunately for you... same story. Not supported.

Note: OpenHaltRestart or EvoReboot should work otherwise you won't even be able to restart Windows. I mean if the keyboard controller method wasn't supported on your hardware.

I missed it. Sorry. Had a quick look at it, and unfortunately for you... same story. Not supported.

Note: OpenHaltRestart or EvoReboot should work otherwise you won't even be able to restart Windows. I mean if the keyboard controller method wasn't supported on your hardware.

OpenHaltRestart doesn't work for me. And I'm not going to try EVoReboot. Just shutdown normally and press the power button :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway!

Master Chief, It doesn't appear to be working with the GA-P55-UD5, i7-870 board. kextstat shows it loaded, but the machine never wakes from sleep. Shutdown and reboot work fine. Vanilla 10.6.2 with custom dsdt and /E/E/kexts:

EvOreboot.kext
fakesmc.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
JMicronATA.kext
LegacyHDA.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OSXRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
RealtekR1000SL.kext

/*
* Intel ACPI Component Architecture
* AML Disassembler version 20090730
* Disassembly of ./FACP.aml, Mon Nov 30 11:14:52 2009
* ACPI Data Table [FACP]
* Format: [HexOffset DecimalOffset ByteLength]  FieldName : FieldValue
*/

[000h 0000  4]                    Signature : "FACP"    /* Fixed ACPI Description Table */
[004h 0004  4]                 Table Length : 00000074
[008h 0008  1]                     Revision : 01
[009h 0009  1]                     Checksum : D6
[00Ah 0010  6]                       Oem ID : "GBT   "
[010h 0016  8]                 Oem Table ID : "GBTUACPI"
[018h 0024  4]                 Oem Revision : 42302E31
[01Ch 0028  4]              Asl Compiler ID : "GBTU"
[020h 0032  4]        Asl Compiler Revision : 01010101

[024h 0036  4]                 FACS Address : DFBB0000
[028h 0040  4]                 DSDT Address : 01750000
[02Ch 0044  1]                        Model : 01
[02Dh 0045  1]                   PM Profile : 01 (Desktop)
[02Eh 0046  2]                SCI Interrupt : 0009
[030h 0048  4]             SMI Command Port : 000000B2
[034h 0052  1]            ACPI Enable Value : A1
[035h 0053  1]           ACPI Disable Value : A0
[036h 0054  1]               S4BIOS Command : 00
[037h 0055  1]              P-State Control : 34
[038h 0056  4]     PM1A Event Block Address : 00000400
[03Ch 0060  4]     PM1B Event Block Address : 00000000
[040h 0064  4]   PM1A Control Block Address : 00000404
[044h 0068  4]   PM1B Control Block Address : 00000000
[048h 0072  4]    PM2 Control Block Address : 00000450
[04Ch 0076  4]       PM Timer Block Address : 00000408
[050h 0080  4]           GPE0 Block Address : 00000420
[054h 0084  4]           GPE1 Block Address : 00000000
[058h 0088  1]       PM1 Event Block Length : 04
[059h 0089  1]     PM1 Control Block Length : 02
[05Ah 0090  1]     PM2 Control Block Length : 01
[05Bh 0091  1]        PM Timer Block Length : 04
[05Ch 0092  1]            GPE0 Block Length : 10
[05Dh 0093  1]            GPE1 Block Length : 00
[05Eh 0094  1]             GPE1 Base Offset : 00
[05Fh 0095  1]                 _CST Support : 00
[060h 0096  2]                   C2 Latency : 0065
[062h 0098  2]                   C3 Latency : 03E9
[064h 0100  2]               CPU Cache Size : 0000
[066h 0102  2]           Cache Flush Stride : 0000
[068h 0104  1]            Duty Cycle Offset : 01
[069h 0105  1]             Duty Cycle Width : 03
[06Ah 0106  1]          RTC Day Alarm Index : 0D
[06Bh 0107  1]        RTC Month Alarm Index : 00
[06Ch 0108  1]            RTC Century Index : 00
[06Dh 0109  2]   Boot Flags (decoded below) : 0010
             Legacy Devices Supported (V2) : 0
          8042 Present on ports 60/64 (V2) : 0
                      VGA Not Present (V4) : 0
                    MSI Not Supported (V4) : 0
              PCIe ASPM Not Supported (V4) : 1
[06Fh 0111  1]                     Reserved : 00
[070h 0112  4]        Flags (decoded below) : 000004A5
    WBINVD instruction is operational (V1) : 1
            WBINVD flushes all caches (V1) : 0
                  All CPUs support C1 (V1) : 1
                C2 works on MP system (V1) : 0
          Control Method Power Button (V1) : 0
          Control Method Sleep Button (V1) : 1
      RTC wake not in fixed reg space (V1) : 0
          RTC can wake system from S4 (V1) : 1
                      32-bit PM Timer (V1) : 0
                    Docking Supported (V1) : 0
             Reset Register Supported (V2) : 1
                          Sealed Case (V3) : 0
                  Headless - No Video (V3) : 0
      Use native instr after SLP_TYPx (V3) : 0
            PCIEXP_WAK Bits Supported (V4) : 0
                   Use Platform Timer (V4) : 0
             RTC_STS valid on S4 wake (V4) : 0
              Remote Power-on capable (V4) : 0
               Use APIC Cluster Model (V4) : 0
   Use APIC Physical Destination Mode (V4) : 0

Raw Table Data

0000: 46 41 43 50 74 00 00 00 01 D6 47 42 54 20 20 20  FACPt.....GBT   
 0010: 47 42 54 55 41 43 50 49 31 2E 30 42 47 42 54 55  GBTUACPI1.0BGBTU
 0020: 01 01 01 01 00 00 BB DF 00 00 75 01 01 01 09 00  ..........u.....
 0030: B2 00 00 00 A1 A0 00 34 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00  .......4........
 0040: 04 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 50 04 00 00 08 04 00 00  ........P.......
 0050: 20 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 02 01 04 10 00 00 00   ...............
 0060: 65 00 E9 03 00 00 00 00 01 03 0D 00 00 10 00 00  e...............
 0070: A5 04 00 00                                      ....

Master Chief, It doesn't appear to be working with the GA-P55-UD5, i7-870 board. kextstat shows it loaded, but the machine never wakes from sleep. Shutdown and reboot work fine. Vanilla 10.6.2 with custom dsdt and /E/E/kexts...

But OSXRestart.kext isn't (trying) to fix sleep. It's all about restart and restart only.

iv notice something, every time i use reboot function provided by you after the computer reboot on bios POST it takes long time to boot the bios.Its like the previos POST did not complete as the bios fast boot function describe it. This happens only when i reboot if i stop the computer from the button by long pressing it i dont have this "issue". I'm wondering what can go wrong for bios to think that the post was not previously complete ?

I cannot help you because of two reasons:

1) You don't have a signature, nor a reference to the used hard- and software.

2) Someone here must be able to reproduce this since 'a long time' means practically nothing to me.

I cannot help you because of two reasons:

1) You don't have a signature, nor a reference to the used hard- and software.

2) Someone here must be able to reproduce this since 'a long time' means practically nothing to me.

I have also this bug MasterChief. It looks it's a clear cmos.

I d'ont have more details, this append with a dell laptop (Snow L), witch provides no details when the bios is cleared, but the same 'long bios initialization' happends after you change bios parameters.

If you want something (like dsdt...etc), let me know.

I have also this bug MasterChief. It looks it's a clear cmos. I d'ont have more details, this append with a dell laptop (Snow L), witch provides no details when the bios is cleared, but the same 'long bios initialization' happends after you change bios parameters.

If you want something (like dsdt...etc), let me know.

Not a clear CMOS. Just a reset. Some boards however appear to want a hard reset. All I am doing is a soft reset, but I can change OSXRestart to see if that help.

Edit: This might be caused by Device (SBUS) when it fails to initialize properly. You could check this by commenting out Method (_PS0) under Device (PCIB). Does that help?

Just a reset. Some boards however appear to want a hard reset. All I am doing is a soft reset, but I can change OSXRestart to see if that help.

what you do is "outb(0xcf9, 0x6);" -< soo called "PCI reset" ->maybe will work maybe not

should be

outb(0xcf9, 0x02);

//IODelay(XXXX); //give it some time is an intel not "cray" ...

outb(0xcf9, 0x04);

that suppose to work much better, give it shoot and let me know

Update:

I can confirm that Device (SBUS) might cause slow down on reboots. Which basically also means that Device (SBUS) in your DSDT isn't working....

The good news is that, like I said earlier... I am working on an update. In fact I am ever since the first negative aka 'doesn't work' came in. I just don't like to update OSXRestart all too much or people will get sick and tired of updating all the time.

Anyway. The problem was located and fixed yesterday (1 December 2009) and thus you may find OSXRestart.kext V1.4 real soon in post #1.

Thank you.

OSXRestart Version 1.4 is now available!!! – see attachment in post #1

Note: This update should 'only' fix the slow boot time. Not shutdown!

Update:

I can confirm that Device (SBUS) might cause slow down on reboots. Which basically also means that Device (SBUS) in your DSDT isn't working....

The good news is that, like I said earlier... I am working on an update. In fact I am ever since the first negative aka 'doesn't work' came in. I just don't like to update OSXRestart all too much or people will get sick and tired of updating all the time.

Anyway. The problem was located and fixed yesterday (1 December 2009) and thus you may find OSXRestart.kext V1.4 real soon in post #1.

Thank you.

and if you dare to handle IOService::message.... in your class

you may give "sh**t" if dsdt broken or sbus, cbus ..xbus ?? :blink: