Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

True.

Thank you master for your great work ;)

There is a problem, with voodoopowermini installed, osxrestart don't work, don't restart after sleep-wake. If I delete voodoopowermini then osxrestart works great :P

Ciao

I don't have the source code of VoodooPowerMini so I can't help you with this. Sorry. And looking at VoodooPower... yeah that is definitely a problem.

Smith@@™

Smith@@™

InsanelyMac LOL

• Retired
  • 2,928 posts
  • Interests:Dark matter and dark energy. E basta. HD3000. E basta.

I don't have the source code of VoodooPowerMini so I can't help you with this. Sorry. And looking at VoodooPower... yeah that is definitely a problem.

Ok no problem... :)

Hazara

Hazara

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

That is what I mean. Something on your hack is broken. Start by adding a signature. Thank you.

See also the newly added: "Troubleshooting" in post #1.

Why it is working with other kexts if it is broken? No offense, i just wonder!

Onixs

Onixs

Since 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

It's not broken. Its more of a mismatched. :D

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

I know that your hack is broken simply because what I do is the universal restart method for Intel based boards. I even checked the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, which you should be using, and I see what I need there. Also, someone with a similar board here confirmed it to work for him.

And with broken I mean dysfunctional, malfunctioning, not working like Apple intended OS X to work. Not being able to restart properly so to speak. Not that you see cracks in the case or whatever – broken can be used in many different contexts.

I tell you this: One of the installed kexts on your system, or the boot loader (or whatever) can break: sleep, restart, shutdown and even prevent proper boot ups. Just like my Apple Mac Pro (see signature) was broken by Parallels Desktop. Heck even your DSDT can break it.

Here shutdown and restart didn't work, on my hack, because of a broken boot loader. One version works while another update broke restart again.

And when EvoReboot or OpenHaltRestart works for you... both using the same hook, then my kext should work for you.

Here's a nice one: You can open a door by force, with a crowbar, or by using the key in the door lock. Like it was designed to work, which is exactly what I prefer to keep doing. Even when that means that it won't work for some, unfortunately. Your motherboard should however work with OSXRestart.kext simply because what I use can be found in your BIOS, and thus something is broken. Most definitely.

The fact that some people here can only restart with EvoReboot or OpenHaltRestart, where a clean method doesn't work, that simply confirms what I already know... they need a crowbar to restart their hack. Which means that they have work to do. And that is where this forum comes in place :D

Happy Hacking

sparrowdclxvi

sparrowdclxvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Doesn't work for me.
Shutdown has always worked, but never restart/sleep. This kext has made no difference. When I click restart the last two lines shown are:

MACH Reboot
Something about Airport disconnecting

And then nothing else happens. If you need any other information, please let me know. I'd love to get restart working.

I noticed something that may or may not help.
I'm running Intel GMA X3100 graphics. This kext doesn't work with 10.6 or 10.6.1
I then downloaded and installed 10.6.2 manually and installed it. I clicked restart, and restart worked. Unfortunately my machine won't boot with 10.6.2 so I can't tell you if it's 10.6.2 that fixes it or not.

The change from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 for my specific machine is the X3100 drivers change from 32bit to 64bit.

Hope that helps.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

I noticed something that may or may not help.
I'm running Intel GMA X3100 graphics. This kext doesn't work with 10.6 or 10.6.1
I then downloaded and installed 10.6.2 manually and installed it. I clicked restart, and restart worked. Unfortunately my machine won't boot with 10.6.2 so I can't tell you if it's 10.6.2 that fixes it or not.

The change from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 for my specific machine is the X3100 drivers change from 32bit to 64bit.

Hope that helps.

I see.. I admit that I haven't checked 10.6.0 nor 10.6.1 but I will do that now. Good to have spare drives...

I did a quick: Boot > Restart and Boot -> Sleep -> Restart with both 10.6.0 (from USB stick) and 10.6.1 (my backup drive) and it is working here. Not that this helps you, but it is good to know.

sparrowdclxvi

sparrowdclxvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Scratch that. It doesn't work in /E/E with Chameleon RC3, but does work in /S/L/E. On 10.6.1, I haven't tested 10.6.0.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Scratch that. It doesn't work in /E/E with Chameleon RC3, but does work in /S/L/E. On 10.6.1, I haven't tested 10.6.0.

My backup drive with OS X 10.6.1 also has Chameleon RC3 on it, and I used /Extra/Extensions/ without any problem whatsoever.

OT: I just noticed that using "Snow Leopard Backup" as drive label gets a little messy in Chameleon. It's too long.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 698 posts

Did you created Extensions.mkext from that Extensions folder?
Guess not.
I works just fine here on all my hardware (Intel)

sk1nhead

sk1nhead

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Thanks a lot Chief. works great here for restart but my machine just wont shutdown, guess it's gonna be ev0reboot - for now.

sparrowdclxvi

sparrowdclxvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Did you created Extensions.mkext from that Extensions folder?
Guess not.
I works just fine here on all my hardware (Intel)

I used Kext Utility after installing this kext.

It looks like it was me though (I'm still quite new to this). I've moved it to /E/E and it's now working there too. I've just restarted 4 times in a row, and that works fine.

I did have a couple of failed restarts when it was in /S/L/E, but I don't know what caused that.
I'll see if anything I do causes it not to start, but for now it's working properly in /E/E. :(

Thanks for the update Master Chief.

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts
So, any ideas MasterChief why OSXrestart doesn't work on my board, but OpenHaltRestart does (see my kextstat output in earlier post?).
As additional info I can tell you that I use a Chameleon RC3 from a USB stick to boot from.
Just wondering, because my board works fine, DSDT is pretty well developed for it, so obviously there is some reason why your good work is not functioning but it isn't the VoodooPower issue - I am running without disabler kexts and using speedstep.
Any thoughts?

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

So, any ideas MasterChief why OSXrestart doesn't work on my board, but OpenHaltRestart does (see my kextstat output in earlier post?).

No, but let's find out shall we?

As additional info I can tell you that I use a Chameleon RC3 from a USB stick to boot from.

Which is cool as I already confirmed it to work with Chameleon RC3.

Just wondering, because my board works fine, DSDT is pretty well developed for it, so obviously there is some reason why your good work is not functioning but it isn't the VoodooPower issue - I am running without disabler kexts and using speedstep. Any thoughts?

You may think that the DSDT is fine, like I did a year long for my P5K Pro. I however found out, after many long hours and many confirmations from people here in this forum, that we had a lot of work ahead of us – a reduction of 29K is pretty amazing isn't it.

Anyway. Let's try to find out what the problem is. Now. I see two kexts I like to rule out:

100 0 0x317d0000 0xf000 0xe000 com.iospirit.driver.rbiokithelper (1.5.5) <63 33 31 5 4 3 1>
110 0 0x2abe0000 0x3000 0x2000 com.bresink.driver.BRESINKx86Monitoring (5.0) <12 11 10>

Make a backup first, and then do a rm -r kextname.kext for both of them. Then wait for:

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

to be rebuild. Note that this is very important. Next is a restart to startup without the two kexts.

LOL I just woke up and I was in desperate need of my usual caffeine shot. Hello cappuccino . Hmm. Much better now ;)

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts

No, but let's find out shall we?

Which is cool as I already confirmed it to work with Chameleon RC3.

You may think that the DSDT is fine, like I did a year long for my P5K Pro. I however found out, after many long hours and many confirmations from people here in this forum, that we had a lot of work ahead of us – a reduction of 29K is pretty amazing isn't it.

Anyway. Let's try to find out what the problem is. Now. I see two kexts I like to rule out:

100 0 0x317d0000 0xf000 0xe000 com.iospirit.driver.rbiokithelper (1.5.5) <63 33 31 5 4 3 1>
110 0 0x2abe0000 0x3000 0x2000 com.bresink.driver.BRESINKx86Monitoring (5.0) <12 11 10>

Make a backup first, and then do a rm -r kextname.kext for both of them. Then wait for:

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

to be rebuild. Note that this is very important. Next is a restart to startup without the two kexts.

LOL I just woke up and I was in desperate need of my usual caffeine shot. Hello cappuccino . Hmm. Much better now ;)

Okay - will do it and report back......

To be honest, I am not sure why I am working at this as OpenHaltRestart works fine for me (!), but I am just intrigued to see what it is with my kexts or the board (or DSDT) that is blocking your kext from working.

I'll let you know results tomorrow.

Cheers,

lajos

lajos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
For some reason it doesn't work well on my P5Q Pro Turbo, running 10.6.2.
I get probably one reboot out of 10 tries, otherwise it hangs after the screen goes blank and have to hit the reset button.

I have the same problem with openhaltrestart, but evorestart works well.

M0000000000

M0000000000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
thanks! works for vostro 1400!

regnaD kciN

regnaD kciN

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Avid, Final Cut, Adobe
does not work on netkas boot disc trying to clean install SL onto EP45-DS3L with ati 4870 1024. constant reboot mode

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Okay - will do it and report back......

To be honest, I am not sure why I am working at this as OpenHaltRestart works fine for me (!), but I am just intrigued to see what it is with my kexts or the board (or DSDT) that is blocking your kext from working.

I'll let you know results tomorrow.

Cheers,

Good for you that you have the courage to deep a little deeper. That's the spirit we need on insanelymac.com (and ditto sites) or the hackintosh community will be void one day soon. After all, Apple only needs to change something and we're back to squire one again. That's when people like you, people with the same kind of spirit come in handy.

Thanks!

does not work on netkas boot disc trying to clean install SL onto EP45-DS3L with ati 4870 1024. constant reboot mode

Sorry, but your constant reboots cannot be caused by OSXRestart.kext That's impossible.

For some reason it doesn't work well on my P5Q Pro Turbo, running 10.6.2. I get probably one reboot out of 10 tries, otherwise it hangs after the screen goes blank and have to hit the reset button.

I have the same problem with openhaltrestart, but evorestart works well.

Which means that my method is supported by your motherboard. And I know because I checked, and thus something hangs.

You might want to try the -v (verbose mode) boot option to see what is going on. No guarantee that it will show you anything, but it might help.

Let me add a note in post #1 about this...

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts

Good for you that you have the courage to deep a little deeper. That's the spirit we need on insanelymac.com (and ditto sites) or the hackintosh community will be void one day soon. After all, Apple only needs to change something and we're back to squire one again. That's when people like you, people with the same kind of spirit come in handy.

Thanks!

Well, lots of tests done, but not good news to report.

Firstly, got rid of the kexts identified (permissions repaired, caches rebuilt, double checked with kextstat etc) and no improvement in functionality.

Then I tried hardware: removed PCIe airport card and USB BT dongle. Still no joy....

I even tried using with a clean Snow install to an eSata connected drive.

Finally, tried booting without DSDT. Still no good result.

Only thing not tried so far has been removal of all USB devices - I did not want to do that as I boot from USB sticks so that I can easily make changes, so do not want to have my extra folder on the boot partition itself.

Perhaps the issue is the board itself. Notable here is that it is not all intel hardware and uses the MCP79 Nvidia chipset to control many functions including SATA and USB - though isn't that also the case for the Asus P5N7A-VM?

Thoughts welcomed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy