Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone else has been keeping an eye on ASUS' support page, but a new BIOS is available (version 0321).

Actually we need to ask amf5 about this as I had the same error message. I just basically ignored it and went on to the next step. Luckily I had no problems. Since then I have added the PlatformUUID.kext to my /Extra folder and no longer get that error when using sudo in Terminal.

Forgot to add, running Kext Utility will do the same thing, it just takes a bit longer. HTH

Sorry, I missed this before - one of the items in the zip (smbios.plist) doesn't include a UUID (PC-EFI generates one for you, which I forgot about) so you'll get a kernel panic. Sorry about that. :)

To be honest with you easybcd was just easier to install I felt. How do you install chameleon? Bc I like the way that looks more than easybcd?

Yeah, I think you are right, it is a bit easier to setup, but IIRC when you update OS X it messes things up. I may be off on this a bit, it's been awhile since I used it. I plan to add a dual boot using Chameleon section to the guide very soon as I have had a couple of requests for it. I'll post when I do.

Does Chameleon RC4 work?

As well this theme is sick.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,539.0.html

As well should we move to the new thread?

I've not messed with themes much, as for RC4, I thought there was some problem with it, but I can't say for sure. Too many things goin' round in my head to remember.

Yes, the new thread is ready anytime. I have everything implemented on the first post that has been suggested so far. Post away people! :)

I don't know if anyone else has been keeping an eye on ASUS' support page, but a new BIOS is available (version 0321).

Sorry, I missed this before - one of the items in the zip (smbios.plist) doesn't include a UUID (PC-EFI generates one for you, which I forgot about) so you'll get a kernel panic. Sorry about that. :)

Did you update yet? I probably wil this evening if it doesn't mess up anything. How about the DSDT, will it need to be updated as well?

As for the guide, if you run Kext Utility this will do the same thing as your script, correct? If so I can just include that in the zip and change the guide to run it after the /Extra folder exchange. Let me know. BTW, I used your descript for things working and not on the first page, is this still correct?

As to the BIOS, latest I saw was 318 which was an EC firmware update, where did you find 321?

Yeah, I think you are right, it is a bit easier to setup, but IIRC when you update OS X it messes things up. I may be off on this a bit, it's been awhile since I used it. I plan to add a dual boot using Chameleon section to the guide very soon as I have had a couple of requests for it. I'll post when I do.

I've not messed with themes much, as for RC4, I thought there was some problem with it, but I can't say for sure. Too many things goin' round in my head to remember.

Yes, the new thread is ready anytime. I have everything implemented on the first post that has been suggested so far. Post away people! :)

Did you update yet? I probably wil this evening if it doesn't mess up anything. How about the DSDT, will it need to be updated as well?

As for the guide, if you run Kext Utility this will do the same thing as your script, correct? If so I can just include that in the zip and change the guide to run it after the /Extra folder exchange. Let me know. BTW, I used your descript for things working and not on the first page, is this still correct?

As to the BIOS, latest I saw was 318 which was an EC firmware update, where did you find 321?

I just did the update and as far as I can tell, the only difference is that they added a brightness stepping (after resetting the BIOS to defaults the screen seems brighter), but I haven't done a DSDT dump yet since I formatted my Linux USB stick to install the BIOS. Anyway, I didn't actually get the link from the support page, I clicked "BIOS history" and noticed there was an extra addition on the list, so I just changed "318" to "321" in the download link and it worked ;)

Kext Utility will do the same thing as my script, I just find the interface annoying and unnecessary. The description is still applicable, although I'd suggest adding a link to PC-EFI just to stamp out the UUID problem (I don't think the version of Chameleon included with NBI does UUID injection but I could be wrong).

I just did the update and as far as I can tell, the only difference is that they added a brightness stepping (after resetting the BIOS to defaults the screen seems brighter), but I haven't done a DSDT dump yet since I formatted my Linux USB stick to install the BIOS. Anyway, I didn't actually get the link from the support page, I clicked "BIOS history" and noticed there was an extra addition on the list, so I just changed "318" to "321" in the download link and it worked :)

Kext Utility will do the same thing as my script, I just find the interface annoying and unnecessary. The description is still applicable, although I'd suggest adding a link to PC-EFI just to stamp out the UUID problem (I don't think the version of Chameleon included with NBI does UUID injection but I could be wrong).

K, I will hold off until you know more for sure, will add a link on the first post when applicable. As for Kext Utility is is a PITA, but it works and it's pretty easy to use. Looking at it from a newbie standpoint this might be the better solution. I'm sure there is no UUID fix with NBBM or NBI that I know of as I experienced the same problem. I will add a section on updating to PC EFI 10.5, but the UUID problem needs to be address before this as the error will occur when you try to cp boot to /. I'll try to get this fixed tonight if I can, will advise when it's done.

K, I will hold off until you know more for sure, will add a link on the first post when applicable. As for Kext Utility is is a PITA, but it works and it's pretty easy to use. Looking at it from a newbie standpoint this might be the better solution. I'm sure there is no UUID fix with NBBM or NBI that I know of as I experienced the same problem. I will add a section on updating to PC EFI 10.5, but the UUID problem needs to be address before this as the error will occur when you try to cp boot to /. I'll try to get this fixed tonight if I can, will advise when it's done.

Just move the PC-EFI install instructions up before copying over /Extra, problem solved :)

Not really, that caused a major problem in that I cannot boot that hard drive now as it KP's each time. And you get the UUID error when you try to sudo the boot over to root drive. It seems to copy the file, but then when you reboot you get the KP. I never got to try moving your /Extra folder over first as this might have solved the problem. I think I have a better solution will try and see what I get.

Not really, that caused a major problem in that I cannot boot that hard drive now as it KP's each time. And you get the UUID error when you try to sudo the boot over to root drive. It seems to copy the file, but then when you reboot you get the KP. I never got to try moving your /Extra folder over first as this might have solved the problem. I think I have a better solution will try and see what I get.

This might be a stupid question, are you getting the KP directly after installing 10.6.2? If so, you'll need to copy over the modified kernel again using your OS X setup flash drive, since the combo updater overwrites the kernel.

If not (i.e. it's just a KP after installing a kext and you're sure you have a working kernel), try booting into single user mode (-s at the Chameleon prompt), mount the local hard drive with mount -uw / and then run updatext. As a general rule of thumb, you should update the kernel caches every time you make a change to the system.

Doing a reinstall on that drive b/c I wanted to try something else anyway. I'd like to get the tea kernel in the mix also but as you said if you do the 10.6.2 update it will overwrite it.

As to the other thread, is everyone waiting for someone else to be the first one to post there? Go for it!

Doing a reinstall on that drive b/c I wanted to try something else anyway. I'd like to get the tea kernel in the mix also but as you said if you do the 10.6.2 update it will overwrite it.

As to the other thread, is everyone waiting for someone else to be the first one to post there? Go for it!

I'm actually working on a way to do the install without having to use NBI at all, I'll post it in the other thread if/when I'm successful.

That would be great as I think it would be better in the long run. Meklort did a great job modifying the NBBM and NBI for the 1201N in a hurry, but the result does not end up where one would hope to be IMHO. Look forward to this when you get it ready.

I see someone has posted in the new thread so I will be spending more time there I suppose. Not being the originator of the thread I have no power to close this one, so I guess it will just remain. I will try to monitor it and point people to the new thread when possible or practical.

FYI I have the install procedure fixed so there should be no more problems with the UUID error or any KP's. This will do until such time as you have yours ready.

yeah, this morning I finally achieved my aim: 1201N is running SNOW in 10.6.2 following MEKLORT's way and than by proceeding with combo update, AMF5's Extra folder, patched kernel and updatext script.

UUID-problem: indeed, the sudo commands don't do their job reliably (KP at reboot), but you can drag (icons) the Extra folder and the kernel file manually (demands authentication) to be sure that it's done.

NOT DO DO: after the install of 10.6.2, if you don't want to see all the boot messages, DO NOT RE-INSTALL THE CHAMELEON NBI 2 BOOTLOADER (MEKLORT) - I did it (unchecking all but Chameleon and Quiet Boot) - this is killing the system.

I don't know how to install PC EFI 10.5 now and if this will indeed resolve the UUID problem. Any help out there? I will give it a try later.

DUAL BOOT: got mine running, SEVEN/SNOW, see end of post.

I'm glad to hear about the new thread. Not really for me, but for the ones who are following us.

Several members said: ...a lot of questions are there because people don't read the thread from the top to the bottom...

That's not the point. I read all posts but for a "normal human being" who's not working in an IT domain there are steps and details that aren't comprehensible - even if all is clear to geeks.

NEW THREAD: Everyone searches for step by step tutorials that are working. On the other hand, personally I think that it is as precious as these tutorials to underline the most frequent or most persuading mistakes that could be done. This saves life time....!

I did it in one week: receiving my 1201N and achieving the 10.6.2 snow install. All the "mistakes" I did - in spite of all your help - sorry - and the "idiot save ways to do it" I wrote them down.

So if you're interested in, I could post these experiences in the new thread???

good night guys over there,

CU

1201SNOW

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ

This thread has unofficially been closed. All further views, comments or suggestions should be made to the new support thread located here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209533

We appreciate your support in this matter to help in the elimination of misinformation spreading all over the place. Thank you for your continued support and comments. That is all...

Two questions:

a) are there instructions somewhere on how to mod a regular mac's disk to make it bootable? I basically want to clone my current MacBook Pro's drive and then make the needed mods. This should save me a lot of hassle with reinstalling apps, etc.

B) I have 8GB RAM in the machine. Windows recognizes it just fine (even though it only uses 3GB because it's 32-bit Windows). What DSDT changes are required for Mac OS X to run with 8GB?

I wasn't able to tap to click on the trackpad either until I enabled it in the trackpad pref pane. HTH

My System Preferences does not have Trackpad Preference Pane. I tried installing the Synaptic Prefspane but it locks the trackpad. Did you have the Trackpad prefspane installed from the start or you added it from somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

1201snow- yes i would love to see a step by step for a dual boot snow/7.

I have my 1201 in the mail, and am trying to compile a step-by-step for myself, but I am mostly just digging thru this thread. :)

Any help from you to organize it into a nicely contained how-to would be very appreciated.

If you could do that for me, i will post a vid of it for everyone who wants to try in the future.

I am confident i can get it running with a lil help.

Thanks for all the time you have put toward the 1201 so far.

// So if you're interested in, I could post these experiences in the new thread???

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...