Support for NTFS in 10.6.2 absent?

tdtran1025

49 posts in this topic

After I posted, I found this on another site. I works. Terminal command lines.

"sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig

sudo nano /sbin/mount_ntfs

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@"

(press Enter, Ctrl-O, Enter, Ctrl-X in sequence)

sudo chown root:wheel /sbin/mount_ntfs

sudo chmod 755 /sbin/mount_ntfs

reboot"

After I posted, I found this on another site. I works. Terminal command lines.

"sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig

sudo nano /sbin/mount_ntfs

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@"

(press Enter, Ctrl-O, Enter, Ctrl-X in sequence)

sudo chown root:wheel /sbin/mount_ntfs

sudo chmod 755 /sbin/mount_ntfs

reboot"

I've heard write-support for NTFS was sketchy at best (experimental). Personally, I'd stick with MacFuse + NTFS-3G

You can also enable support by doing the following:

"First, uninstall NTFS-3G.

Open Terminal and type "diskutil info /Volumes/NTFS_volume_name" and copy the Volume UUID

Backup /etc/fstab if it currently exists - it shouldn't be there in a default install.

Type "sudo nano /etc/fstab".

Type in "UUID=paste_the_Volume_uuid_here none ntfs rw" or "LABEL=volume_name none ntfs rw" (if you don't have UUID for the disk).

Repeat for other NTFS partitions."

Save the file (ctrl-x then y) and restart your system.

WARNING!

I have got my 3 disks (2.5 TB av Data) corrupted by using native ntfs r/w!

BE WARNED PEOPLE, APPLE DISABLED IT FOR A REASON!

Same here,

My Hack and my real Mac ntfs partitions both get corrupted. The CheckDisk error is triggered frequently at windows boot and never finished. Frustrated, I switched off the power, then "asta la vista" my win 7 babies!

Same here,

My Hack and my real Mac ntfs partitions both get corrupted. The CheckDisk error is triggered frequently at windows boot and never finished. Frustrated, I switched off the power, then "asta la vista" my win 7 babies!

sorry to hear... :(

Is there NTFS 3G from Paragon out with 64bit SnowLeopard OK ? Or do I have to use OSX 10.5.8 to "mount" my NTFS Hard Disks ?

Is there a Filesystem for MAC / Linux / Win 7/ XP64bit which is able to write bigger files than 2GB on Fat32 ?

I had been using those up until 10.6. They don't work. Now I am @ 10.6.2.

BTW, after the script is executed, I have not encountered any errors yet. We'll see.

i strongly recommend not using snow leopard's native ntfs support as many users reported unrecoverable data loss. read more HERE.

both paragon and ntfs-3g work nice in 32-bit mode, but for 64-bit there's only one solution:

download MacFUSE from HERE (64-bit beta fork) and latest catacombae NTFS-3G and install them in that order - remember to deselect MacFUSE in NTFS-3G installer as you have already installed a different fork.

working here rock solid on 10.6.2 with 64bit kernel, but transfer speeds are not as good as with paragon though - normal for ntfs-3g/macfuse.

i have 4 drives in my computer - 2 with hfs+ and 2 with ntfs. the interesting thing is that i had kernel panics with default snow ntfs drivers (read-only) when umounting ntfs drives. it would KP 1 out of 5 times during shutdown/restart sequence.

since i installed ntfs-3g/macfuse i haven't had a single KP (2 weeks now).

I'm using Apples native NTFS support since 10.6 without any problem. Ok, it would not be a problem if i would loose data on this partition as im only using it for playing games sometimes. But i heard that you must not have spaces in the name of you NTFS HDD, the name should be one single word. No problems for me so far. Also a friend of mine is using apples NTFS feature with 3 NTFS disks, also works without any problems (32 and 64 Bit-Mode).

i strongly recommend not using snow leopard's native ntfs support as many users reported unrecoverable data loss. read more HERE.

both paragon and ntfs-3g work nice in 32-bit mode, but for 64-bit there's only one solution:

download MacFUSE from HERE (64-bit beta fork) and latest catacombae NTFS-3G and install them in that order - remember to deselect MacFUSE in NTFS-3G installer as you have already installed a different fork.

working here rock solid on 10.6.2 with 64bit kernel, but transfer speeds are not as good as with paragon though - normal for ntfs-3g/macfuse.

i have 4 drives in my computer - 2 with hfs+ and 2 with ntfs. the interesting thing is that i had kernel panics with default snow ntfs drivers (read-only) when umounting ntfs drives. it would KP 1 out of 5 times during shutdown/restart sequence.

since i installed ntfs-3g/macfuse i haven't had a single KP (2 weeks now).

Awesome.

Thanks a ton for the link, i've been waiting for this!

sorry to hear... :unsure:

Is there NTFS 3G from Paragon out with 64bit SnowLeopard OK ? Or do I have to use OSX 10.5.8 to "mount" my NTFS Hard Disks ?

Is there a Filesystem for MAC / Linux / Win 7/ XP64bit which is able to write bigger files than 2GB on Fat32 ?

I used NTFS 3G + a 64-bit MacFUSE = works beautifully in 64 bit SL

Hi

Theres an app called ntfsmounter (google it) that enables/disables the built in ntfs functions via a simple gui- no need for terminal commands!! Been using it awhile now without probs in 10.6.1 (64bit)

That app just edit the fstab for you and basically it enables the crappy native support for R/W on NTFS volumes via GUI instead of using terminal.

Like many people said. It tends to corrupt data. When I used it, the CHKDSK utility always showed up when I returned to Windows.

For the record, my NTFS volumes names are one word only without spaces or special characters and still it corrupted data.

The best solution so far is the 64bit version of MacFUSE and the latest NTFS-3G.

I also agree what many people said: Apple disabled it for a reason...

Cheers!

it works with 32-bit kernel, but not with 64-bit.

yep, you're right !

thank u 4 the info about MacFuse 64bit - I installed it and it seems to work OK and yes I noticed the slow disc performance... ;)

And I get during copying files from time to time (error 50) - do you know why ?

Is there a chance that Paragon will update for 64bit ?

Is there a chance that Paragon will update for 64bit ?

I sure hope so, because this way performance sucks big time.

When I copy stuff over network to my shared NTFS volume on my hack, it peaks at 3mb/s (its a gigabit network).

Also, there is another thing, and I've managed to reproduce it twice:

I installed server version of snow leopard. I shared all my NTFS volumes but Win7, all fine (but slooow over network).

When I tried sharing my Win7 volume in server preferences it gave me an error about it and immediately stopped all server services I'm using - web, mysql, smb, even appletalk.

Since i couldn't get them to start again, I restarted the hack.

After that I couldn't boot to snow anymore.

Reinstalled snow and tried to share my win7 volume again (of course, after installing macfuse/ntfs-3g) - same thing happened.

Here's a screenshot of repeating error:

error.gif

I sure hope so, because this way performance sucks big time.

When I copy stuff over network to my shared NTFS volume on my hack, it peaks at 3mb/s (its a gigabit network).

Also, there is another thing, and I've managed to reproduce it twice:

I installed server version of snow leopard. I shared all my NTFS volumes but Win7, all fine (but slooow over network).

When I tried sharing my Win7 volume in server preferences it gave me an error about it and immediately stopped all server services I'm using - web, mysql, smb, even appletalk.

Since i couldn't get them to start again, I restarted the hack.

After that I couldn't boot to snow anymore.

Reinstalled snow and tried to share my win7 volume again (of course, after installing macfuse/ntfs-3g) - same thing happened.

Here's a screenshot of repeating error:

error.gif

When you say Win7 volume, is the partition where Windows 7 is installed???? If is true, make sure that you don't have a session hibernated on Win7. When you hibernate on Win7 that partition is not accesible anymore on Snow Kitty. You have to boot again on Win7 and shut down properly.

Also, thanks for sharing this. I'll be careful when sharing my volumes. Right now I'm safe because my hack is the only computer I have.

Another thing I'd like to comment is that the performance on my hack with ntfs-3g is good. Well, my OSX drive is PATA and my Win7/Data drive is SATA, therefore my speed is the expected (the speed of the slower device).

Cheers!!

When you say Win7 volume, is the partition where Windows 7 is installed???? If is true, make sure that you don't have a session hibernated on Win7. When you hibernate on Win7 that partition is not accesible anymore on Snow Kitty. You have to boot again on Win7 and shut down properly.

i don't use hibernate with win7, so it couldn't be that. the weird thing is, other ntfs partitions are shared just dandy.

one maybe important thing i should mention is that the win7 partition is on the same drive with snow (GUID partition table prepared for windows with Modbin's patched BootCamp Assistant)

also, win7 volume remained intact both times after this happened. just thought you might wanna know.

i don't use hibernate with win7, so it couldn't be that. the weird thing is, other ntfs partitions are shared just dandy.

one maybe important thing i should mention is that the win7 partition is on the same drive with snow (GUID partition table prepared for windows with prasys' patched BootCamp Assistant)

also, win7 volume remain intact both times after this happened. just thought you might wanna know.

Uhmmm, good to know.

It's weird that just the Win7 partition makes trouble.

Like I said, I don't share my drives 'cause I only have one computer and my Win 7 / Data partition is on another drive. I like to keep both systems separated, just in case something goes wrong with any of the OSes.

Offtopic: How is the BootThink working for you??? is it easy to install it??? I'm very used to Chameleon2 with PCEFI and I don't consider using another bootloader, but BootThink makes me consider changing it.

Another thing, when the error happens, have you tried to boot on safe mode (-x flag)???

Cheers!

Offtopic: How is the BootThink working for you??? is it easy to install it??? I'm very used to Chameleon2 with PCEFI and I don't consider using another bootloader, but BootThink makes me consider changing it.

i used to run BootThink from my EFI partition, but since i reformatted the drive i'm booting from an USB stick with BootThink (usb as first boot in bios). just install, copy kexts you need to /ExtesnionsSL an thats it.

Another thing, when the error happens, have you tried to boot on safe mode (-x flag)???

yes, tried all switches i know of, couldn't boot ^_^

i used to run BootThink from my EFI partition, but since i reformatted the drive i'm booting from an USB stick with BootThink (usb as first boot in bios). just install, copy kexts you need to /ExtesnionsSL an thats it.

yes, tried all switches i know of, couldn't boot :)

Ok, I'll give it a try later on the external spare drive I have with Snow Leopard (my backup installation).

Does the BootThink detects the CPU or I have to use CPUInjector???

What about the graphics card??? GraphicsEnabler??? How do I configure it???

Sorry for the many questions, like I said, I'm very used to Chameleon 2 with PCEFI.

Cheers!!

in the end i switched to 32-bit kernel with paragon ntfs.

now i can share all my ntfs partitions, including "boot camp" one.

another reason to switch was performance, as macfuse/ntfs-3g was bottle-necking my ps3 media server. 1080 HD movies on my ps3 would start stuttering.

Does the BootThink detects the CPU or I have to use CPUInjector???

it doesn't. i'm using CPUInjector.

check my signature for all kexts i use.

What about the graphics card??? GraphicsEnabler??? How do I configure it???

evoenabler should work for you - both 32 and 64bit modes. i think no other patching is necessary for NVidia. not sure tho, i'm an ATI user.

That's weird about the slow transfer speed.

On my hack it works like a charm. I have 1080p video on the SATA hard drive and I can play it just fine. Maybe it's slow on network transfers.

I couldn't try BootThink yesterday 'cause I was playing Call of Duty 4 on my HACK (OSX, specifically). I'll see if I try it later.

I only need EVOenabler and CPU Injector. The new OSXrestart.kext I already have it, fakesmc and platformUUID, too. I forgot, I use an aditional kext for audio: ALC662.kext. Where do I have to put the DSDT.aml and the SMBIOS.plist????

Cheers!!