CPU temperature in iStat

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,840 posts

It's not working in my SL, still not showing CPU option only HD.

Do I need to edit something or just install the updated FakeSMC.kext ?

If you are using iStat Menus you also need to install the sensors module. In the first time you run iStat it asks if you want to install the module. You can try to remove and reinstall iStat.

jbolted

jbolted

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Computer building, hacking, reading, fishing, movies. Learning things I can't figure out.

Sorry, I don't have one to test, but AFAIK it only works with Core 2 Duo or later.

138 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? You should also set the correct Tjmax for your CPU.

I don't know where or how to set Tjmax for my cpu. I have been searching, its not that I'm being lazy. I think the problem with my setup is that in the extra folder I have one file called Extensions.mkext. I am guessing that the different kext files are in there but I have no idea how to get into it or how to replace it with the latest fakesmc, which is what I am told to try to see if I get accurate readings on my CPU temps.

the latest readings I get are 63 Celcius going up to 73 Celcius on load.

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,840 posts

I don't know where or how to set Tjmax for my cpu. I have been searching, its not that I'm being lazy. I think the problem with my setup is that in the extra folder I have one file called Extensions.mkext. I am guessing that the different kext files are in there but I have no idea how to get into it or how to replace it with the latest fakesmc, which is what I am told to try to see if I get accurate readings on my CPU temps.

the latest readings I get are 63 Celcius going up to 73 Celcius on load.

You have to open the file Info.plist inside fakesmc.kext (mine is /Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist) and edit the value of tjmax key. You can use a text editor or the 'Property List Editor'.
<key>tjmax</key>
						<integer>100</integer>
You may need to rebuild the Extensions.mkext file. I don't use cache in the Extra folder because there are only 4 kexts and none of them needs to be in mkext.

trwoolley

trwoolley

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Does anyone have a final official TJMax for Intel i7 920? I've seen everything from 85°C to 105°C.

richardsim7

richardsim7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Does anyone have a final official TJMax for Intel i7 920? I've seen everything from 85°C to 105°C.

I was going to ask the same question, I set mine to 80 and the temps seem a bit more realistic (40ºC), but they're not accurate :\

Sheffielder

Sheffielder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently changed CPU to a Q9550 from an E6300 (EP45-UD3LR M/:(

After two late nights of struggling with bad temps in 10.6.2 my solution was:

Nullcpupowermanagement kext
Sleepenabler kext

fakesmc infoplist tjmax set at 100

All perfect now, temps match in BIOS, Hardware Monitor, iStat and Coretemp+ Realtemp in windows.

Before this all four cores would idle at 47°c once warmed up, not good considering my cooling setup is pretty good.

mr_christer

mr_christer

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
i installed hardware monitor 4.7 and it reads the cpu temp even without fakesmc

atom069

atom069

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hello all, very new to OSX at all so please bear with me :wacko: This is just the thread I was looking for. I have installed osx86 from the 10.6.1-10.6.2 hazard disc, with not much problem really. Took a few shots to get the right kext, but everything appears to be working.

I have the E6400 which has a TJ max of 85C unlike most of the 100C chips here. Voodoomonitor (hardware monitor 4.85 gives error on start, will test previous) reads my chip still at 100C. I can manually set the TJ max in my fakesmc.kext info.plist to 85, which seems to show the same temps I get in windows. (check pics please) Is changing the fakesmc value to 85 just cosmetic or is it really changing the OS settings to read it at 85. When I manually set voodoomonitor CPU-I max override to 85C and get the same readings as istat.

I have voodoopstatev4 and voodooo monitor installed, and my correct states are shown for this proc (3 states 1.6-2.13ghz) nothing seems hot at all, my fans run the same as in windows.

When the TJ max on the fakesmc was set to 100, it was reading 55C temps in istat, but after change to 85C for TJ max is appears to read 36-39 which is what I get in windows like stated. You can see the default TJ max for voodoo monitor is also 100. Is that cosemtic? Very sorry for the long post but im new to this.

Core 2 duo E6400
MSI P6N SLI Platinum MS-7350
4GB DDR800
ASUS 9800GT 512MB
ALC888 HD

Thanks guys, Ive been reading the forums for about 5 days now since I decided to install this again.

EDIT> I wanted to say that even if I still open up voodoomonitor, it still reads 100C for TJMAX, is that just the programs default or is that still saying that i'm still at 100C TJ MAX?

@Jbolted - Same here man hah ive been trying to figure out how to change my CPU TJ max for the OS because mine is different at 85C not 100C like most it appears. OSX is a lot of fun, I like opensuse as well.

Attached Files

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,840 posts

When the TJ max on the fakesmc was set to 100, it was reading 55C temps in istat, but after change to 85C for TJ max is appears to read 36-39 which is what I get in windows like stated. You can see the default TJ max for voodoo monitor is also 100. Is that cosemtic?

Yes, it's cosmetic. Actually the value read from CPU is the distance to Tjmax, and FakeSMC outputs Tjmax minus that value, so temp will only be correct if you set correct Tjmax.

I wanted to say that even if I still open up voodoomonitor, it still reads 100C for TJMAX, is that just the programs default or is that still saying that i'm still at 100C TJ MAX?

You can configure Tjmax in VoodooMonitor preferences.

atom069

atom069

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Oh ok, I kinda figured that about the fakesmc that it was purely cosmetic on that aspect. Thank you very much sir. There is no actual way to edit and change the TJ MAX of the OS? This seems to be my only problem.

Like stated I changed the voodoomonitor CPU-I TJMAX override to 85C, but When I start up p-change changer while voodoomonitor is open I guess its still on 100 TJ MAX because that still says 50C-55C. So im guessing the voodoomonitor override either doesn't work or is showing false values

I have not setup speed stepped at all in the DSDT vanilla speed, but when im guessing the voodoopstatev4 did something because im using dual display video right now and a couple other programs and im watching the voodoomonitor ONLY while pstatechanger is one the states changes from 6.0 (1.59ghz) - 8.0 (2.13ghz) under load. I was just want to change the OS TJ MAX to the correct 85C so it lowers the temp. OSX86 CPU TJ MAX seems to be 100C or am I missing something? Sorry for my ignorance im very new!

Attached Files

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,840 posts

There is no actual way to edit and change the TJ MAX of the OS? This seems to be my only problem.

There's no Tjmax for the OS. FakeSMC emulates the SMC device, it provides the temp keys for programs that read them (iStat). VoodooMonitor reads the CPU temps using it's own kext, not from FakeSMC (actually this FakeSMC feature was taken from VoodooMonitor, which is based on VoodooPower). The same happens with PStateChanger.

I have not setup speed stepped at all in the DSDT vanilla speed, but when im guessing the voodoopstatev4 did something because im using dual display video right now and a couple other programs and im watching the voodoomonitor ONLY while pstatechanger is one the states changes from 6.0 (1.59ghz) - 8.0 (2.13ghz) under load.

Another alternative is VoodooPowerMini. AFAIK voodoopstatev4 does nothing if the app is not running. VoodooPowerMini works on its own, you can use VoodooMonitor to verify.

atom069

atom069

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Sir oldnapalm:

Thanks for the suggestion, I went ahead and picked up VoodooPowerMiniVersion 1.2.49 and installed. Awesome work, I see them moving. So voodoopowermini is working without VoodooMonitor on correct, or must I run the program to gain the multipliers? Sorry that's all I wanted to ask. everything should be fine and just like xp/7 if osx is reading my CPU with TJ max at 85C not 100C.

Attached Files

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,840 posts

So voodoopowermini is working without VoodooMonitor on correct, or must I run the program to gain the multipliers?

Yes sir, it works without VoodooMonitor.

atom069

atom069

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Sweet, so here's one for you. That's essentially speed stepping is it not? Using the mulitpliers on higher load? That's what I always thought. So if that's the case, why are people still manually doing it in the DSDT? What's the difference for these hacked mac OS? I guess i'm missing something. Can't you just use vooodoopowermini and call it a day? hah enlighten me if willing all wise "InsanelyMac Legend"

So APPLE is really having that much time keeping their machines from running so durn hot? That's hilarious! They have to rely on 3rd party apps (which are very few compared to M$) but yeah. I guess that's why we live in a M$ world. Mac Leo server being actual useful? HAH!

http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html this looks very useful

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,840 posts

Sweet, so here's one for you. That's essentially speed stepping is it not? Using the mulitpliers on higher load? That's what I always thought. So if that's the case, why are people still manually doing it in the DSDT? What's the difference for these hacked mac OS? I guess i'm missing something. Can't you just use vooodoopowermini and call it a day?

You're right, it's SpeedStep. I think some people do it in DSDT to have a more "vanilla" system (using original kexts instead of modified ones).

hah enlighten me if willing all wise "InsanelyMac Legend"

Please don't get me wrong, this title is set by InsanelyMac based on the number of posts you have made.

atom069

atom069

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hah ok just making sure about that, I guess some folk get really anal about their hacked macs and what they display. Anyways, I know about the title hah etc I was just making it fun :( Thanks for the info though, you've mad a few things clear for and perhaps a few others.

I'm actually a MCP-XP/2k3, and newly MCSE. I use M$ products 24/7 of course. Never have to touch a mac, and probably never will in the work field (never used in network admin of course). Thanks dude!

I gotta say though, OSX is definitely easier on the eyes, functions built into the OS are actually really cool and useful, so I give them thumbs for appearance, just not any functionality over M$ besides editing digital media (vids/music/etc) just my two cents, great fun!

macdaddy1

macdaddy1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Has anyone noticed that 10.6.2 makes their HDD run hotter. My loptop is running about 6 degrees c on average and my desktop is about 3 degrees hotter compared to 10.6.1 and 10.6 ?

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,840 posts

Has anyone noticed that 10.6.2 makes their HDD run hotter. My loptop is running about 6 degrees c on average and my desktop is about 3 degrees hotter compared to 10.6.1 and 10.6 ?

You mean HDD or CPU? I haven't noticed changes in temperatures from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3 using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

What power management kext are you using?

waldo_pepperjack

waldo_pepperjack

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
:)

Just a sanity check here... does this seem right? [ I hope I have interpreted the previous comments in this thread correctly...]

In my new hackintosh HTPC, I have a GA-G41M-E2SL + a Conroe E6300 (B2) [has tjmax = 85].

iStat Menus reported a temperature that was 15deg over what it should have read - I went into the Fakesmc.kext and edited the tjmax value to be 85 (instead of the original 100).

Now it read the same as (Breslink's) Temperature Monitor.

Is this the right way to do this?
:blink: ;)

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,840 posts

:(

Just a sanity check here... does this seem right? [ I hope I have interpreted the previous comments in this thread correctly...]

In my new hackintosh HTPC, I have a GA-G41M-E2SL + a Conroe E6300 (B2) [has tjmax = 85].

iStat Menus reported a temperature that was 15deg over what it should have read - I went into the Fakesmc.kext and edited the tjmax value to be 85 (instead of the original 100).

Now it read the same as (Breslink's) Temperature Monitor.

Is this the right way to do this?
;) :(

Yes, that's right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy