[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Hi,

For who is interested, here are some kexts (injectors) modified for our XPS M1330. One is for enabling BroadcomAppleBluetooth (it is coming from Anv, I just injected our XP 1330 bluetooth ID) = BroadcomAppleBluetooth.kext, the other one is for enabling graphic power manager (modified from MasterChief one) = LegacyAGPM, without patching AppleGraphicPowerManagement.kext, the last one is for enabling our webcam as an Apple one (also coming from Anv) = AnyiSightCam.kext.

For LegacyAGPM, it is patched for MacbookPro5,1 smbios. If you use another one, just open the kext and edit the plist ;).

In general, here all the kexts I use.

Good job on this.  This is for the AGPM legacy kext is for the 8400M GS graphics card.  Your kext will only work on XPS M1330 for that one but maybe the others will work for the XPS M1530?

Hi,

The legacyAGPM will also work for M1530 users, as it is also an Nvidia graphic card. It is also Go8XXX version, so no much difference for this.

The only change I did from what was done previously from MasterChief, is to maintain the injector as there are some changes in the original plist with Mountain Lion. I also did the same for Bluetooth injector.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am a new member in this forum and with the help of the invaluable guides and resources on this site , I have been able to install mountain Lion and Mavericks on my dell xps M1530 laptop ( T7500 C2D 2.2GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT WXGA). I have a few questions though

1. How do i get scrolling on both mavericks and mountain Lion

2. How can the boot times be improved ? I installed mountain Lion on a samsung evo 840 SSD and a standard 7200RPM hdd. When booting from the SSD, the boot spinning wheel revolves 12 times before loading the login screen  and when I use the standard hdd, it revolves 42 times before loading the login screen.

thanks

I'm confused.  Signed in but cannot download  VoodooPS2 Bundle.zip  as it fails on "No Permission" error :(

I'm currently running the latest Alps Voodoo 1.8 kext on my m1530 but the tracking and scrolling aren't quite right.  I figure that the touchpad on the m1530 must be a tad old for the new kext.

But anyway, what's up with the download ?

I'm confused.  Signed in but cannot download  VoodooPS2 Bundle.zip  as it fails on "No Permission" error :(

I'm currently running the latest Alps Voodoo 1.8 kext on my m1530 but the tracking and scrolling aren't quite right.  I figure that the touchpad on the m1530 must be a tad old for the new kext.

But anyway, what's up with the download ?

VoodooPS2 Bundle.zip

• Like 1

Hi,

Does this kext work with Mavericks or Mountain Lion ?

I can speak for Mountain Lion as it's doing the job for me under 10.8.5.

Be sure to replace the stock Apple Trackpad.prefPane in /S/L/PP with the one included in the zip.

Just dropping it into /L/PP doesn't work.  At least it didn't for me.

Nice share, thanks again :)

Thanks !

I was download #3 :)

Fantastic!   :thumbsup_anim:

Hi,

Does this kext work with Mavericks or Mountain Lion ?

Yes, it does. This kext has been around for a while, and it provides full functionality, including the two-finger scrolling, for the ALPS GlidePoint trackpad across all OS X platforms. 

I can speak for Mountain Lion as it's doing the job for me under 10.8.5.

Be sure to replace the stock Apple Trackpad.prefPane in /S/L/PP with the one included in the zip.

Just dropping it into /L/PP doesn't work.  At least it didn't for me.

Nice share, thanks again :)

No problemo. :D  The native Trackpad.prefPane does conflict with this specific preference pane as they both share the same name and serve the same function.

Sorry for a bit off topic but I have being going back and forth from google searching and I just cannot seem to get the answers and hoping someone with a bit of experience may know?

I recently bought a motherboard from Ebay and it was suppose to be a Nvidia 8600M GT with 256Mb Vram.  Bios reads 128Mb.   Did the 8600M come in two different Vram sizes or its impossible for this to be a Nvidia 8600M GT?

Ironically the chip reads G84-601-A2 and I have a couple of XPS M1530's one has the G84-600-A2 and another has the updated revision G84-601-A2 and both are the 8600M GT 256Mb Vram.

Is the Vram built into the motherboard or right into the GPU chip?  If its on the motherboard then it would make sense that that company put a 8600M GT on a 128Mb Vram motherboard by mistake.

I read there is another revision to the chip G84-602-A2 but I only see the GPU on ebay and not on any XPS motherboards.  The G84-603-A2 I believe is only found on a MacBook Pro?

Last question about the Heastsink/Fan assembly.  There is this Blue Silicon Pad that sits on top of what is either the north bridge chip or the Co-Processor I don't know which chip this is?  My question is can I just use Arctic silver instead of the Pad or does this pad keep the heat off this chip since the CPU and GPU get warmer than this chip?  Does this pad keep the heatsink from getting this chip to hot from the CPU/GPU or not?

Really sorry about the off topic but I just can't seem to find anyone who really knows the answers to these questions.

Thanks

Sorry for a bit off topic but I have being going back and forth from google searching and I just cannot seem to get the answers and hoping someone with a bit of experience may know?

I recently bought a motherboard from Ebay and it was suppose to be a Nvidia 8600M GT with 256Mb Vram.  Bios reads 128Mb.   Did the 8600M come in two different Vram sizes or its impossible for this to be a Nvidia 8600M GT?

Ironically the chip reads G84-601-A2 and I have a couple of XPS M1530's one has the G84-600-A2 and another has the updated revision G84-601-A2 and both are the 8600M GT 256Mb Vram.

Is the Vram built into the motherboard or right into the GPU chip?  If its on the motherboard then it would make sense that that company put a 8600M GT on a 128Mb Vram motherboard by mistake.

I read there is another revision to the chip G84-602-A2 but I only see the GPU on ebay and not on any XPS motherboards.  The G84-603-A2 I believe is only found on a MacBook Pro?

Last question about the Heastsink/Fan assembly.  There is this Blue Silicon Pad that sits on top of what is either the north bridge chip or the Co-Processor I don't know which chip this is?  My question is can I just use Arctic silver instead of the Pad or does this pad keep the heat off this chip since the CPU and GPU get warmer than this chip?  Does this pad keep the heatsink from getting this chip to hot from the CPU/GPU or not?

Really sorry about the off topic but I just can't seem to find anyone who really knows the answers to these questions.

Thanks

The XPS m1530 can have either the 8600M GT / 256 or 8400M GS / 128 so if you are seeing 128MB of VRAM that's probably an 8400M GS.

Pretty sure that the VRAM is soldered to the M/B somewhere, not integrated into the GPU.

I'm not sure exactly what the third chip under the heatsink that get's the blue heat pad is but I'd leave the pad alone if it's in good shape and just arctic silver the CPU and GPU.  Northbridge is a good guess, coprocessor no way.  The math coprocessor has been integrated into the CPU since the 80486.  This was a minimum requirement for the first PCs to run NeXTStep back in the day !

The XPS m1530 can have either the 8600M GT / 256 or 8400M GS / 128 so if you are seeing 128MB of VRAM that's probably an 8400M GS.

Pretty sure that the VRAM is soldered to the M/B somewhere, not integrated into the GPU.

I'm not sure exactly what the third chip under the heatsink that get's the blue heat pad is but I'd leave the pad alone if it's in good shape and just arctic silver the CPU and GPU.  Northbridge is a good guess, coprocessor no way.  The math coprocessor has been integrated into the CPU since the 80486.  This was a minimum requirement for the first PCs to run NeXTStep back in the day !

Then its possible they put a 8600M GT onto the motherboard with 128Mb ram?  They reball'd it but with the newer revision GPU but they were not thinking that the motherboard will still be 128Mb in the end is all I can think of?  8400M on the chip starts with G86 and I know that does not make sense at all but G84 on the chip is 8600M and G86 is 8400M except possibly in one case according to the PCI device ID page I was on which I cannot find right now.

The Blue pad is torn up.

Then its possible they put a 8600M GT onto the motherboard with 128Mb ram?  They reball'd it but with the newer revision GPU but they were not thinking that the motherboard will still be 128Mb in the end is all I can think of?  8400M on the chip starts with G86 and I know that does not make sense at all but G84 on the chip is 8600M and G86 is 8400M except possibly in one case according to the PCI device ID page I was on which I cannot find right now.

The Blue pad is torn up.

Man, it's probably possible that those mobile NVidia GPUs have the VRAM built-in.  Heck, Intel had 2/3/4MB L2 caches built into Core 2 Duos at the same time, right ?

Just pop in and boot off an ubuntu live disk and check out what device id is registered to the video chip for the final word on that.

I was on eBay looking for a replacement board for an m1530 myself a couple weeks ago and it seemed to me that most of the refurbs being offered sported the 8400M GS/128 back then.  The 8600M GT/256 M/B was rarer and at least 20% more expensive too.

You might need to find another heat pad 'cuz that guy is thicker than any amount of heat grease that you can slather on.

At least that's my take.

Good luck.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to report a successful update to 10.9.1 via the app store.  After the upgrade, I rebooted in safe mode and removed AppleHDA.kext v2.5.3 to avoid conflict with VoodooHDA.kext.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (regressed), AppleRTC.kext (patched), AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (patched) unaffected by upgrade.

Sleep still works OK for XPSm1530.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Just wanted to report a sucessful update to 10.9.1 via the app store.  After the upgrade, I rebooted in safe mode and removed AppleHDA.kext v2.5.3 to avoid conflict with VoodooHDA.kext.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (regressed), AppleRTC.kext (patched), AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (patched) unaffected by upgrade.

Sleep still works OK for XPSm1530.

OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Update

Here is an alternative to constantly having to remove the native AppleHDA.kext after every update:

AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Anybody out there running the XPS m1330 with Intel X3100 video ?  The reason I ask is that I have one running 10.7.5 (32 bit) quite well except for 1 problem.  Upon waking from sleep, the LCD backlight is off.  I can see a faint login panel, even sign in, get a black desktop, hit the PWRB then <Enter>  and shutdown but my display remains unlit the whole time.

If I wait for a couple of minutes and hit a key, the display lights up again, usually, but not always.

Neither darkwake=0 nor the Fn brightness key help anything either.

I have another m1330 and an m1530 as well but both of these have NVidia GPUs and wake perfectly.

Kinda stumped right now, any ideas ?

Hi Guys,

I've just stumbled across a very handy utility for creating a recovery partition:  Create Recovery Partition Installer 1.1

By creating a recovery partition, this will enable all features in iCloud on your Hackintosh such as Find My Mac (described in this excellent article by Rampagedev).

Requirements

1. GUID partition scheme
  2. Mac Appstore Lion,ML or Mavericks Install.app
  3. Create.Recovery.Partition.Installer-1.1.dmg

• Simply download and double click on Create.Recovery.Partition.Installer-1.1.dmg
  • Double click on Create Recovery Partition Installer.app
  • Drag your Appstore Install OS X Mavericks.app over to the above window--->RecoveryPartitionInstaller-10.9.pkg is created
  • Double click RecoveryPartitionInstaller-10.9.pkg and follow the prompts to create a recovery partition
  • Click on System Preferences--->Click on iCloud---->You will now be able to click on and enable Find My Mac etc

Enjoy :)

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

I've just stumbled across a very handy utility for creating a recovery partition:  Create Recovery Partition Installer 1.1

By creating a recovery partition, this will enable all features in iCloud and iMessages on your Hackintosh such as Find My Mac & Back to My Mac (described in this excellent article by Rampagedev).

I have iCloud, iMessages & Back To My Mac without Recovery partition.

Good to know there is a solution to create a Recovery Partition, but I doubt Find My Mac has a real use.

• Like 1

I have iCloud, iMessages & Back To My Mac without Recovery partition.

Good to know there is a solution to create a Recovery Partition, but I doubt Find My Mac has a real use.

Very true. I have been utilizing the Recovery Partition in both 10.8 and 10.9 for the purposes of activation of the Find My Mac functionality,

and I have yet to find any actual use for it so, it's more of a novelty feature for me.

Interestingly, the Clover boot loader allows the EFI partitions to boot on hacks which would theoretically allow us to actually boot into the Recovery Partition itself.  :drool:

Now that, I would definitely find quite useful. 

• Like 1

Interestingly, the Clover boot loader allows the EFI partitions to boot on hacks which would theoretically allow us to actually boot into the Recover Partition itself.  :drool:

Now that, I would definitely find quite useful. 

Definitely possible to boot the recovery partition using clover (unfortunately not with chameleon) - can add kexts, FakeSMC--->enable network, browse with safari etc (post by BlackOSX).

I've experimented booting with clover (non uefi/BIOS mode) from a USB and it works well booting OSX but is flakey with Windows in my hybrid mbr setup - see guide by BatcOuntrY.

Edit: Booting my desktop with clover USB into recovery partition.

post-846696-0-76644100-1387582852_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Happy to report that I am up and running with Mavericks on my XPS m1530. Big shout out to DarwinX and fusion71au for their great tutorials and helpful comments throughout the forums. Only have a few minor glitches to deal with and wanted to know if there was a fix for them. No Wi-Fi or sound as of yet or use of my keyboard and trackpad. Have to use my Bluetooth keyboard and corded mouse for the time being.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

--

Pete

Update N.B. #1: Keyboard and Trackpad w/2-finger scrolling now up and running thanks to DarwinX's latest VoodooPS2 bundle. Grateful for the knowledge and support from the IM community.

Only Sound and Wi-Fi left to fix.

Update N.B. #2: Sound is up and running thanks to VoodooHDA 2.8.2 with patch update (Shout out to my friend Cory who originally set up my XPS m1530 on 10.6.1). Wi-Fi is only thing left for repair. Any suggestions would be great.

Update N.B. #2: Sound is up and running thanks to VoodooHDA 2.8.2 with patch update (Shout out to my friend Cory who originally set up my XPS m1530 on 10.6.1). Wi-Fi is only thing left for repair. Any suggestions would be great.

You'll find that the stock Intel wireless card won't work with OSX, regardless of any kexts.  The ones supported natively by OSX and recognised as "Airport"  tend to be Broadcom (if you're lucky, you may have a Dell TrueMobile 1505) or Atheros chipset based cards (see DarwinX's post).

I've read from user reports that AR5B91, BCM4321 and BCM4328 work well in Mavericks.  Unfortunately the BCM4312 in your signature seems to be having issues in Mavericks.  The only workaround reported is by turning off encryption on your router or this convoluted procedure by alexanderq.

Personally I have an asus N10 wireless USB that works well in Mavericks but this needs to be activated with its own wireless utility app.

PS re sound: RN95 in this post provides a patched and updated VoodooHDA.kext v2.8.4 that works very well and has automatic detection of headphones and microphone.

• Like 1

Hey there Fusion,

I wound up getting it to work when I had 10.8.3 by using my old SL IO80211Family.kext but then it suddenly stopped out of the blue. I was trying to remember if I downloaded something to cause the problem but figured a clean install of Mavericks might do the trick. Unfortunately that isn't the case so far.

I will stay away from the convoluted stuff like changing kext info and the like and just buy a USB adapter like I did for Bluetooth usage (laptop never had a Bluetooth card from day one). Wasn't sure if I had to change any settings either when I am in the BIOS Settings mode but didn't want to risk messing things up after having EVERYTHING else working.

Also, is it possible put larger RAM chips beyond 4GB capacity on an XPS m1530 running Mavericks? Just curious.

Yep, BCM4312 only works reliably through LION 10.7.5.  Support definitely drops out in the throes of Mountain Lion.

I have been using the Atheros AR5B91 from 10.8.x forward.  Recognized as AirPort Extreme with a simple legacy kext.

Just be careful NEVER to get the version of these WiFi cards with the extra 'B63' designation.

Example -> AR5BXB63

These do not support all b/g/n speeds and so their firmware is incompatible with Mac OS X. 

Card sensing and kext loading then fails and there is NO fix, AFAIK.

Good luck.

• Like 1