[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Ok, so that was exactly the same sensor branch as I was using, but apparently I was using the wrong HWMonitor.app, so things weren't displaying correctly.  That's one problem fixed.  Thank you very much.

Now, for the second problem, which is that the temperatures are still too high.  Right now I'm sitting at 66C, and I'm hardly doing anything.  

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-12-29 at 12.18.38 PM.png

Hi Lulighttec.

Slice lists a number of apps that are compatible with his FakeSMC in this post at ProjectOSX

iStat Menus is a very good paid program that graphs your temps over a period of time so it will give you a better idea whether they are too high or not (personally, my temps are similar to DarwinX's and cycle between 44-62C, average in low 50s and freq 594-2487MHz).  Temps in windows are approx 5-10C lower, due to the fact that c states work in Windows but not OSX for our machines.

post-846696-0-01773700-1388395771_thumb.jpg

Of the free apps, I use SMC Monitor and K-Stat-i (see attached file.  K-Stat-i can show temps & freqs in the menu bar).  I find HWMonitor v1.1.0 to be flaky/incompatible with Mavericks (works once then fails to open?) as described in this post by Slice.

I had my mainboard/graphics and system fan replaced under warranty a few years back (I complained to Dell about high temps and the noisy fan) and haven't had issues with temps since then (touch wood).....

K_Stat_i.app.zip

• Like 1

umm, yours are at least 12 degrees lower than mine.  Last time I showed you those, you said they were super hot.  Anyhow, mine doesn't seem to run so hot in Windows.  I also noticed that your frequency during what i assume is idle is a good bit lower than mine.  My frequency never drops below 1194 MHz (the x6.0 Multiplier); in fact it seems to always waffle between x6.0 and x9.0 or x10.0.  I thought there would be several different steps in between, and I would expect it to drop lower than x6.0 at some point.  Maybe my grasp of the concept is way off, but still, average temperatures of 64C seems kinda high, and it takes nothing for that temperature to soar up to 75-81C, just a game or anything involving video.  It just concerns me.  I thought that cleaning and reapplying thermal compound to the cooling system would make a difference, but it made very little difference.

I still believe that your temps are running high, and yet they do remain within the range of "acceptable" as far as I see it.

Perhaps, generating your very own CPU specific DSDT.aml would provide better power management and temperature control for your system.

It is also possible (probable?) that your video card is failing.

Hi Lulighttec.

Slice lists a number of apps that are compatible with his FakeSMC in this post at ProjectOSX

iStat Menus is a very good paid program that graphs your temps over a period of time so it will give you a better idea whether they are too high or not (personally, my temps are similar to DarwinX's and cycle between 44-62C, average in low 50s and freq 594-2487MHz).  Temps in windows are approx 5-10C lower, due to the fact that c states work in Windows but not OSX for our machines.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot.jpg

Of the free apps, I use SMC Monitor and K-Stat-i (see attached file.  K-Stat-i shows temps & freqs in the menu bar).  I find HWMonitor v1.1.0 to be flaky/incompatible with Mavericks (works once then fails to open?) as described in this post by Slice.

I had my mainboard/graphics and system fan replaced under warranty a few years back (I complained to Dell about high temps and the noisy fan) and haven't had issues with temps since then (touch wood).....

I actually have used iStat and SMC Monitor.  I'll check out K-Stat-i.  I wish I had known about the problem with the video sooner, or, even though mine wasn't one of the ones recalled, I might have complained like you did until they replaced my mainboard and graphics.

I still believe that your temps are running high, and yet they do remain within the range of "acceptable" as far as I see it.

Perhaps, generating your very own CPU specific DSDT.aml would provide better power management and temperature control for your system.

It is also possible (probable?) that your video card is failing.

IIRC My laptop was manufactured after that defect in the video had been corrected, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have thought about generating my own DSDT, and had started to do so at one point, but kept running into an issue compiling it while following the guide at the beginning of this thread. I'd be willing to give it another shot if I had an experienced guiding hand.

On another note, I have noticed that my card reader is not working/is not recognized. IIRC there was a kext that takes care of this?

IIRC My laptop was manufactured after that defect in the video had been corrected, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have thought about generating my own DSDT, and had started to do so at one point, but kept running into an issue compiling it while following the guide at the beginning of this thread. I'd be willing to give it another shot if I had an experienced guiding hand.

On another note, I have noticed that my card reader is not working/is not recognized. IIRC there was a kext that takes care of this?

VoodooSDHC.kext-v1.1.2.zip

• Like 1

I have thought about generating my own DSDT, and had started to do so at one point, but kept running into an issue compiling it while following the guide at the beginning of this thread. I'd be willing to give it another shot if I had an experienced guiding hand.

If you are using one of immo's non CPU specific DSDTs, they lack the SSDT tables and you are getting chameleon generated P states (I assume you use generate C & P states in your org.chameleon.boot.plist).

You can extract your own native SSDT tables in windows using the AIDA64 program, place the SSDTs in /Extra and then put the "drop SSDT" argument in the org.chameleon.boot.plist with chameleon wizard.  I believe Indian Dragon uses this setup (see this post).

TBH I don't think it will make that much of a difference....maybe try undervolting your CPU like drummerboybac (can't guarantee it will be stable though).

• Like 1

@petey73,

Yes, I use the original Mavericks IONetworkingFamily and IO80211Family kexts.  I think DarwinX also uses native Mavericks networking kexts for his BCM94321.

Quote from post #1603

I personally have never experienced any wireless connectivity issues with my Broadcom BCM94321MC WLAN card under ANY version of the OS X with ZERO system file modification

• Like 2

Hi Friends,

Looks like you’ve all been doing some interesting stuff ! It’s been a while, I  was caught up with a project release. 

You can extract your own native SSDT tables in windows using the rweverything program, place the SSDTs in /Extra and then put the "drop SSDT" argument in the org.chameleon.boot.plist with chameleon wizard.  I believe Indian Dragon uses this setup (see this post).

fusion71au, The SSDT’s in my folder were a result of number of failed attempts to make the C-States work, I gave up after the almighty Slice himself gave up on C-states on our PM 965. Nevertheless it doesn’t hurt to have the SSDT’s in /Extra, so I’m having it.

DarwinX or fusion71au,

Just curious but are your IONetworkingFamily.kext and IO80211Family.kext from the same OS X (Mavericks)?

Petey73, I see you got issues with BCM4321 . Did you try rebranding it to Apple Extreme ? Here is the original guide by Prasys  but the git repository is changed which is updated in this later  osx86.in guide here .

DarwinX,  I didn’t get a chance to update you on the effect of DSDT changes suggested by you on my hardware. Like before, the results were inconclusive . I’ve been alternating between DSDT W/O your patch and thermal management do some times appear better, but sometimes just as before.

Btw, I never had Device(ISAB) so I just added appropriate  “name”  to Method (_DSM, ,)  in Device(LPCB), Device(SATA), Device (SBUS) and Device(PXS4) - Since I have ASMedia USB3.0 expansion card.  As informed earlier I did not have sleep issues from the beginning  and the Voodoo kexts I use are VoodooSDHC and the VoodooPS2 inside the ApplePS2 kext by nawcom.

Off topic : (What will we do in future ! )

I got a refurbished E6600 in a deal and I was able to upgrade the processor of my 945GCLN to C2D from the awful PD 3.4GHz. Now Maverick 10.9.1 runs beautifully in that machine without any DSDT Changes, as the DSDT which I edited for Snow leopard does the job! Ethernet,iCloud,FaceTime and all apple services running A.OK !

I must have been really lucky to have got two best legacy chipsets for hackintosh - 945 GCL & 965 PM.  I doubt whether the luck is reproduce able :worried_anim: .

post-269203-0-74797200-1388491894_thumb.png

I tried to buy a good OSX compatible laptop for a colleague for iOS development with 4th gen CPU (he was fixated on that), and later end up buying MBP for 1200$ as we were not able to find a good  laptop :( . So guys, what are your plan’s for the next laptop ? I’m sure most from our forum would have already switched, if so what you guys think will be the best future replacement for our Dell XPS M1330, M1530, M1730, INSP 1520 & INSP 1720 ? MBP or another impressive Hackbook :wink_anim: ?

• Like 3

If you are using one of immo's non CPU specific DSDTs, they lack the SSDT tables and you are getting chameleon generated P states (I assume you use generate C & P states in your org.chameleon.boot.plist).

I am using whatever DarwinX's latest DSDT iteration is; I'm not sure if it is Immo's exactly. I was under the impression that he had modified it slightly. Also, I believe that we have similar processors, but not quite the same.  I'd be up for inserting the SSDT tables into the DSDT.aml, and in fact I tried, but as I mentioned, there was some sort of error compiling the DSDT.aml after inserting them, and I couldn't find the error.  (Probably a hanging open bracket or brace somewhere, but I swear I counted pairs of them over and over and over again, and I couldn't find it.)  I guess I could try putting the SSDT in /Extra and see if it makes a difference before tackling the DSDT again.  Thoughts?

Oh, and thanks for the kext.  it was apparently the one that I was missing.

@DarwinX, @IndianDragon,
I also will most probably get a MBP once my XPSm1530 dies. The battery on my XPS has already given up the ghost and I've always found Apple products to have excellent build quality....

@Lulighttec,

AFAIK, there is no difference between using an SSDT incorporated into your DSDT compared to using separate DSDT/SSDT with chameleon "drop SSDT" argument (also deselecting the generate P&C states).  This would be far easier than to mess with the already fine tuned DSDT provided by DarwinX (which itself is based on immo's XPSm1530 "Any CPU" DSDT).

Dump your SSDT table with rweverything in Windows and compile with DSDT Editor.  If you have problems fixing compile errors, you can upload the native SSDT.dsl file & I will see if I can fix for you.

@Everybody

:thumbsup_anim: Happy New Year :thumbsup_anim:

post-846696-0-78714500-1388525230_thumb.gif

• Like 2

I am using whatever DarwinX's latest DSDT iteration is; I'm not sure if it is Immo's exactly. I was under the impression that he had modified it slightly. Also, I believe that we have similar processors, but not quite the same.  I'd be up for inserting the SSDT tables into the DSDT.aml, and in fact I tried, but as I mentioned, there was some sort of error compiling the DSDT.aml after inserting them, and I couldn't find the error.  (Probably a hanging open bracket or brace somewhere, but I swear I counted pairs of them over and over and over again, and I couldn't find it.)  I guess I could try putting the SSDT in /Extra and see if it makes a difference before tackling the DSDT again.  Thoughts?

I'm using the latest stock ANY CPU XPS M1530 DSDT.aml from the first post of this thread with a slew of modifications compiled in the last couple of years.

Oh, and thanks for the kext.  it was apparently the one that I was missing.

No problem!  :D

DarwinX, I'm crying both Happily and Sadly :bye:  lol !

haha When I say soon, what I really mean is some day when this laptop finally goes up in smoke!  :wink_anim:

@DarwinX, @IndianDragon,

I also will most probably get a MBP once my XPSm1530 dies. The battery on my XPS has already given up the ghost and I've always found Apple products to have excellent build quality....

True that. The trackpad on this laptop is falling apart; the left click button has been nonoperational for the past year or two, and yet I'm still here! 

:thumbsup_anim:

:thumbsup_anim:   HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!    :thumbsup_anim: 

:thumbsup_anim: 

• Like 2

DarwinX, fusion71au, 

I got similar idea, in fact thought it would happen in 2013 itself with display being the first thing to give out in my trusty 1520. But still holds up miraculously, I might even fix the display if it gives out!  

But I wonder whether we’ll be getting the same 'oomph’ which we get in our hackintosh in the MBP (everything would work by default in that  :hysterical: ).

Might be when we go to real Mac’s we’ll have more time to put on stuffs like Android custom ROMS, Rasberry Pi etc. and attain same fun as we did with hackintosh :hyper: .

It’s Already 2014 in India,   Happy New Year Friends ! :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 4

umm, yours are at least 12 degrees lower than mine.  Last time I showed you those, you said they were super hot.  Anyhow, mine doesn't seem to run so hot in Windows.  I also noticed that your frequency during what i assume is idle is a good bit lower than mine.  My frequency never drops below 1194 MHz (the x6.0 Multiplier); in fact it seems to always waffle between x6.0 and x9.0 or x10.0.  I thought there would be several different steps in between, and I would expect it to drop lower than x6.0 at some point.  Maybe my grasp of the concept is way off, but still, average temperatures of 64C seems kinda high, and it takes nothing for that temperature to soar up to 75-81C, just a game or anything involving video.  It just concerns me.  I thought that cleaning and reapplying thermal compound to the cooling system would make a difference, but it made very little difference.

You are likely heading for trouble my friend.  I also have an XPS m1330 which runs too hot.  Mine rests @ 67C, cruises at 71-74C, reaches 80C under heavy strain.  It recently got itself into a state where it booted with no POST screen, only showing a display when the Mac login panel was finally available.  Then, it would enter sleep within about 30 seconds.  I'd hit the PWRB to wake it right back up but then it would sleep again just as quickly even if I were typing on it.  I shut it down and set it aside for a couple of days and now it boots with a POST screen again but I'm not going to use it again until after I try the "copper shim mod".  Search that as it might be an option for you or anyone else experiencing this very common problem on thse XPS m1X30 notebooks.

I actually picked up a beautiful XPS m1530 for practically nothing which would not boot, guessing that it was a dead NVidia chip.  I sent it out to be serviced to a shop that specializes in replacing these video chips on this model specifically.  Got it back and it ran great, averaging temps in the mid to upper 50'sC.  Well, it's been 5 weeks and now it's not booting again.  Luckily, the shop has a 4 month warranty.

Obviously, even reasonable temps do not guarantee the health of these notebooks :(

Only my Intel X3100 based m1330 continues on unscathed but it's only good for Lion x86.

For those still using Chameleon,

some recent new developments in SMBIOS injection reported by G Vermelho.

new chameleon wizard out now

Unfortunately with respect to chameleon wizard, Janek states in his post

"I think it will be one of the last versions. I don't know what else I could add to this app, and Chameleon's development has stopped"

It might be time to consider changing bootloaders.....the grass is greener with Clover :yes:

• Like 1

For those still using Chameleon,

some recent new developments in SMBIOS injection reported by G Vermelho.

new chameleon wizard out now

Unfortunately with respect to chameleon wizard, Janek states in his post

"I think it will be one of the last versions. I don't know what else I could add to this app, and Chameleon's development has stopped"

It might be time to consider changing bootloaders.....the grass is greener with Clover :yes:

I too have been following the recent Chameleon SMBios development as is reflected in my last system files upload right above.

While it is clear that the modern Clover does indeed exceed the archaic Chameleon in its functionality and range of use,

I fail to see the logic in converting to the new generation UEFI boot loader.

Practically, the Clover doesn't really offer anything of actual significance to our ancient hardware, but it does have a steep learning curve, especially for the noobs.

Also, Janek's Clover incompatible Chameleon Wizard.app with its streamlined boot loader installation implementation has been a blessing for many of us.

Having said that, for the purposes of research and exploration, this Clover is indeed a great new frontier and isn't that, after all, what we are all here for?

• Like 1

@DarwinX

I fully respect those people who have the attitude "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Chameleon is still an excellent bootloader, very fast, stable and reliable. The old methods of installation still work and most people are comfortable with /Extra, SMBIOS.plist, org.chameleon.boot.plist, Chameleon Wizard etc.

However, Clover and UEFI are the immediate present and the future. Here are some points in favour of change:

1) At some point in time, we will all need new computers and they will no doubt have UEFI BIOSes. These work best/natively with Clover and I feel now is as good a time as any to learn how to use it.

2) Most of the fun I get from hackintoshing is from the intellectual challenge and understanding how things work. I like tinkering with my install and fixing things that don't quite work. My philosophy is "if you stop learning, your brain dies". If you want the ultimate in ease of use, reliability and compatibility with OSX, get a Mac! The site that you all know but must not be named also has tools claimed to make installs easy- Where's the fun in that? Can you understand what you are doing and what to change if things go wrong?

3) You have nothing to lose (except a bit of time to learn). After my recent testing of Clover on the XPSm1530, I must say I have become somewhat of a convert and can vouch for Clover's stability and compatibility with our hardware (@DarwinX especially with your full GPT partitioned HD). Ask Slice which bootloader he uses on his old Inspiron 1525 :lol:

4) Clover is under much more active development than Chameleon. OSX is evolving and it is no surprise that new features in recent iterations eg iMessage, worked first with Clover and only later with Chameleon (let alone booting recovery partitions, ability to do major upgrades natively through Appstore). A good analogy is that Chameleon is the Windows XP of the OSx86 scene - you can still do almost everything you want with it but once Microsoft ceases development for it, no security patches, no drivers for new hardware etc - it will die a slow death.

5) Since Clover creates a real EFI environment, by definition the system will be more Vanilla and more immune to any changes Apple makes (Clover has the ability to inject kexts, patch kernels, apply DSDT edits on the fly etc,etc).  To further demonstrate the "vanilla advantage", there is an Appstore bug that allows free downloads of iLife, iWork and Aperture apps for owners of genuine macs- these can also be downloaded if you use Clover as bootloader for your hack but not Chameleon - see post by shiecldk and G Vermelho (even using latest chameleon SMBIOS upgrade).

6) Finally, it is not that hard. I am proof that it is doable and am willing to help others with our hardware join the bandwagon. There are many similarities: Clover's config.plist is essentially a combined SMBIOS.plist & Boot.plist in one. Clover Configurator is like Chameleon Wizard and enables easier editing of Config.plist. There's plenty of support becoming available:
You can read info about Clover at the Clover Wiki. The Clover General Discussion thread is also an excellent place to ask questions and I know Clover's developers regularly help users there.

As an interesting aside, here is a link to a small poll about which bootloader users prefer. Try it, I'm quite certain you won't be disappointed :)

• Like 3

@DarwinX

I fully respect those people who have the attitude "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Chameleon is still an excellent bootloader, very fast, stable and reliable. The old methods of installation still work and most people are comfortable with /Extra, SMBIOS.plist, Org.Chameleon.Boot.Plist, Chameleon Wizard etc.

However, Clover and UEFI are the immediate present and the future. Here are some points in favour of change:

1) At some point in time, we will all need new computers and they will no doubt have UEFI BIOSes. These work best/natively with Clover and I feel now is as good a time as any to learn how to use it.

2) Most of the fun I get from hackintoshing is from the intellectual challenge. I like tinkering with my install and fixing things that don't quite work. My philosophy is "if you stop learning, you die". If you want the ultimate in ease of use, reliability and compatibility with OSX, get a mac! The site that you all know but must not be named also has "tools" to make installs easier on their "recommended" hardware so you can own a cheap mac- where's the fun in that?

3) You have nothing to lose (except a bit of time to learn). After my recent testing of Clover on the XPSm1530, I must say I have become somewhat of a convert and can vouch for Clover's stability and compatibility with our hardware (@DarwinX especially with your full GPT partitioned HD). Ask Slice which bootloader he uses on his old Inspiron :lol:

4) Clover is under much more active development than Chameleon. OSX is evolving and it is no surprise that new features in recent iterations eg iMessage, worked first with Clover and only later with chameleon (let alone booting recovery partitions, ability to do major upgrades natively through Appstore). A good analogy is that chameleon is the Windows XP of the OSx86 scene - you can still do almost everything you want with it but once Microsoft ceases development for it, no security patches, no drivers for new hardware etc - it will die a slow death.

5) Since Clover creates a real EFI environment, by definition the system will be more Vanilla and more immune to any changes Apple makes (Clover has the ability to inject kexts, patch kernels, apply DSDT edits on the fly etc,etc).  To further demonstrate the "vanilla advantage", there is an Appstore bug that allows free downloads of iLife, iWork and Aperture apps for owners of genuine macs- these can also be downloaded if you use Clover as bootloader for your hack but not Chameleon - see post by shiecldk and G Vermelho (even using latest chameleon SMBIOS upgrade).

6) Finally, it is not that hard. I am proof that it is doable and am willing to help others with our hardware join the bandwagon. There are many similarities: Clover's config.plist is essentially a combined SMBIOS.plist & Boot.plist in one. Clover Configurator is like Chameleon Wizard and enables easier editing of Config.plist. There's plenty of support becoming available:

You can read info about Clover at the Clover Wiki. The Clover General Discussion thread is also an excellent place to ask questions and I know Clover's developers regularly help users there.

As an interesting aside, here is a link to a small poll about which bootloader users prefer. Try it, I'm quite certain you won't be disappointed :)

I think you have valid reasons for wanting to move to clover, but all I can tell you is that when I had it on a thumbdrive and was (very carefully) following instructions for configuring it, every time I tried to use it, it would cause my HDD to not be recognized by the system hardware.  It took a bit of playing with it to figure out how to get my HDD to "reappear" so I could boot it from whatever, but each time I tried to use clover, the same thing would happen over and over again.  It never seemed to work reliably for me.  I'd be willing to try again if I could find out why that was happening, but as I just downloaded two chameleon updates in the last week and a half, I think I'll stick with that for a while.

@lulighttec,

Working rock solid on my machine since I've replaced chameleon on my hard drive and converted to full GPT partitioning scheme.......also booting from USB should in no way touch your HD install and your chameleon settings.......

Could you attach a screenshot (press F10) &/or debug.log (enable boot logging in Clover:  Open the config.plist file with Clover Configurator and under the "Boot" tab, tick "Log".  While you are at it, also ensure that Clover's automatic drive scanning is on: click the "Yes" button next to "Scan" under the GUI tab.  After booting with logging enabled, you should find debug.log in /EFI/CLOVER/misc folder).

post-846696-0-51094500-1389445022_thumb.jpg

post-846696-0-51310300-1389445108_thumb.jpg

• How did you format the USB you installed Clover on?  Mine is Fat32, mbr type.  Also for my USB flashdrive, I chose the same install options as BatCountry except Install Clover in the ESP (since the USB did not have an EFI partition) -

post-846696-0-47059400-1388918753_thumb.png

• Did you follow my instructions in post #1605 and use the provided config.plist file or did you create your own config.plist?  The one I provided should work (make sure to install BGM theme or all themes).
  • Do you have a patched AppleRTC.kext in S/L/E?  Do you need to reset your BIOS settings?  I'm wondering whether you are experiencing a CMOS reset....
  • Also doublecheck your BIOS settings: is AHCI enabled?  Make sure USB boot has first priority.

NB I used to have a hybrid mbr like you but Clover does not play well with legacy windows entries on our machines (will cause windows boot to hang, OSX works fine).  Dual booting is possible by converting your drive to full GPT and installing UEFI windows ---> boot with windows bootmgrfw.efi or bootx64.efi (see post #1611).

LOL just noticed this is my 101st post and I've been promoted from "Protege" to "Geek" :hysterical: .  I'd like to thank everyone @Insanelymac and especially my forum buddies in this DSDT thread :D

• Like 2

Adventures with Clover cont'd :) .

Clover is actually able to store configuration files for different machines in its OEM folder.  This is very useful if you have installed OSX on an external USB HD so you can boot many machines with the same hard drive (can use this HD as an "emergency" OSX)!

post-846696-0-25551700-1389577551_thumb.png

As you can see in the screenshot, I have the necessary files needed to boot the XPSm1530 in the folder XPS M1530 inside Clover's OEM folder.  I also have the Clover configuration files for my newer desktop based on a UEFI capable GAB75M-D3H motherboard in the B75M-D3H folder.....

So I am able to boot Mavericks on my legacy XPSm1530 laptop through Clover EFI and my GA-B75M-D3H through its native UEFI firmware using the same USB Hard drive :D .

• Like 2

mines cheaper.. and works on linux live since 2009.. broadcom dont work in linux until u install a dload driver.. catch22  :P

LatinMcG,

I told a friend of mine who happens to have the same laptop as mine (Dell XPS m1530) about the Atheros WLAN card you have and he wound up buying it (He bought it off of somebody with no WiFi or Bluetooth cards). I helped him install OSX Mavericks successfully and WiFi shows up right away but with the WiFi bars grayed out. When he goes into System Preferences, WiFi shows up as on but with a yellow light. Is that a Linux Live fix? If so, how?