ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

I have an MSI VX600, which allegedly contains a mobility HD3410, although the OS reports it as a 3430.

I installed 10.5.7, loaded up the latest 10.5 RadeonHD kext from this thread, all good, no problems

I then rebuilt with 10.6.3, loaded up the latest 10.6 kext from this thread, and discovered I could only get native resolution if I booted in 32 bit mode. Seems the kext may be broken for 64 bit mode.

That is just AWESOME! I've been trying to get full res for 4 months (since my very first Mac OS installation) and this works perfectly!

I tried so many things including DSDT, 3rr0rists driver, ATIInject, Evoenabler and always got black screens. I was tired and about to give up and install Seven. Many many people out there are saying that it is impossible to have an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 working with Snow Leopard!

Well, now I have mine working thanks to Dong! BTW my laptop is an Acer Travelmate 8204 with ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 71c5 and the native resolution is 1680x1050.

Everything works flawlessly on Snow Leopard 10.6.5! Full res, full screen videos, mouse without tearing, QE/CI (was working before).

Thanks a lot Dong, you just saved me from giving up!

• 2 weeks later...
I have been following this post this month, I really must commend mainly Dong and all the others who have been working and making this progress. just brilliant...

On another note... The Specs for my system are as follows:

Inspiron 6400

1.83 reads as 1.92 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

ATI Radeon X1400 256MB

4 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM

Leopard 10.5.8

- Ideneb 10.5.8

- VoodooPS2, VoodooTSCSync

- ATIRadeonX1000 (7145)

- 10.5.x RadeonHD.kext (posted by Dong to fix hardware cursor, added my EDID)

I just installed Snow Loeopard 10.6.4

- [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Method/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

- Disabled Graphics enabler option in the com.apple.plist in /Extra folder

- 10.6.x RadeonHD.kext (posted by Dong to fix hardware cursor, added my EDID optiona

THANKS DONG & OTHERS

-------------------------------------------------

PROBLEMS:

- I may need some advice on a power managment, I only see VoodooBattery.kext, I find my cpu is running hot really quick as compared when running the 10.6. Please Help

-Not sure if you were able to get Wireless/or this other Card slot working, not the card reader the other one next to it.

-Dong, if I am not mistaken you have a smiliar system, I have tried all that I have read concerning enabling Quartz in 10.6, I am not sure what I have done wrong, I am able to change my resolution from 800x600 up to 1440x900, but I still don't have Quartz.

OSx86 tools worked at some point but now gives the error Can’t make "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.windowserver, QuartzGLEnabled) does not exist" into type boolean. (-1700)"

- I tried following "michaspoli post Feb 17 2010" and used ALL the ATI.* Kext from Snow Leopard Server Install DISC

- In ATIRadeonX1000 Kext installed on the 10.6, the IOPCIMatch string starts with "0x71871002 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 0x71451002" while on the 10.5.8 it starts with "0x71451002"

Any assistance from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using a notebook running on x2300 Radeon, which is based on the x1300. I believe it is the same generation of chips if i'm not wrong. You can try using my steps and see if you can get your QE/CI running:

1) Copy Radeonx1000.kext file from your extensions folder (\S\L\E) to your desktop. Right click the copied kext and select show contents. There is a file named info.plist. Double-click it to edit.

2) You should have your ID code for your graphics card. For my case, it is 718A, so you will change the IOPCIMatch String to 0x718A1002 for the first string. So if yours is 71XX, then u change it to ox71XXA1002.

3) Close the window and save when prompted. Next you need a hex editor, e.g. 0xED (google it) open the MacOS folder found in the kext, and open the file ATIRadeonx1000 with the hex editor.

4) Find and replace 8771 (select hex) with your code again i.e. the opposite way XX71 if your ID is 71XX. Replace all, for it will make 2 - 3 replacements (in my experience, 2 for leopard and 3 for snow leopard)

5) Close and save the files. Now drag the edited kext into Kext Helper b7, and install the kext. To be safe, install RadeonHD.kext again.

6) Keep your fingers crossed and reboot.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it doesn't we'll see what we can do about it.

P.S. You need the radeonx1000 kext to work in order to see QE/CI. This framebuffer only allows resolution change and some basic features if I'm not wrong.

Hey all,

I'm brand new to this and need some help getting QE/CI enabled.

My system is an HP dv2 (1027ca) with an ATI x1250 (sometimes reads 1270) GPU - Dev. id 0x791f1002. I have Dong's RadeonHD.kext working to give me all resolutions (many thanks!!). In the meantime, I deleted all other "ATI" related kexts other than ATIRadeonDVDDriver.bundle that would have come with my original stock iAtkos v7 ATI HD driver set.

My first question is: Should I reeinstall all those ATI kexts (they were stuff like: ATIRadeon8500GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle and a whole lot of others) but going through the iAtkos install process (only drivers)??

Or are there only a select few that I need?

From reading several forums all over the place, I get a bit of conflicting info as to whether I need to adjust the ATIRadeonX1000.kext or the ATIRadeonX2000.kext. I have tried adjusting a 1000 kext to include my device in the 1st string, then using a Hex editor (0xED) I tried to find and replace the existing ID, but the problem is that I'm not sure where that kext came from.

Can someone send me an ATIRadeonX1000.kext that has been altered with my Dev id? (email to jfrost7@hotmail.com) or post here?

The one I tried to edit constantly gave KPs so I removed it through terminal.

Are there post-installation instructions that I need to follow?

Like I said, this is my first 2 weeks ever attempting anything like this - I've been playing with PCs for awhile, but never really down to the code. I'm a noob but I'm eager to learn and catch on quick.

Thanks for anyone's guidance in advance!

I now have 1680x1050 on my HP nx9420 with Snow Leopard 10.6.5. All I did was delete ATI1600Controller.kext and add RadeonHD.kext.

The only problem is the display gets all jumbled when I close the lid. Does anyone have a fix?

Hey,

I'm quoting from another thread...

IF after close and open lid, the screen is scrumbled.

I suggest the DSDT Clamshell fix in Silencers's post. It changes the behavior to sleep when lid is closed. Now sleep is supported in latest driver, so this should be no problem.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

Try this. :D

Hi dong .

First i'd like to thank you for this great work. I have an ati mobility radeon 5470 hd.

As you mention in the first post there is no support yet for this card as the linux code was not out yet.

I was reading this.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...en_3d&num=1

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

and i wanted to ask you if this was somhow useful to this project? And if yes could you please add the support for the 5xxx series.Or if you are too busy with your stuff ,could you PLEASE make a mini how-to update the code.

Thank you very much !!!!

Yes, I am busy in my real life. The xf86-video-ati you linked does has support for 5XXX cards. But the whole framework of this open source linux driver is different from out-dated xf86-video-radeonhd. I did not find a good way to combine them yet. Otherwise, we can support almost all ati cards since xf86-video-ati is so powerful.

Yes, I am busy in my real life. The xf86-video-ati you linked does has support for 5XXX cards. But the whole framework of this open source linux driver is different from out-dated xf86-video-radeonhd. I did not find a good way to combine them yet. Otherwise, we can support almost all ati cards since xf86-video-ati is so powerful.

Sorry for that link.

Being somehow experimental was not included in the official release

this is the right link.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf...198976dfd52.zip

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf...evergreen_accel

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I have 1270 working with QuartzGL an in full resolution... Thanks to Thread 289, the hint with the EEID was perfect. QuartzGL i enabled with OSX86tools and it seems to work...

Only QuartzExtreme is not available, but maybe there will be a solution ...

Radeon X1200:

Chipsatz-Modell: Radeon X1200

Typ: Monitor

Bus: PCI

VRAM (gesamt): 256 MB

Hersteller: ATI (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x791f

Versions-ID: 0x0000

Monitore:

Monitor:

Auflösung: 1440 x 900

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Software

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Nicht unterstützt

QuartzGL: Unterstützt

HI Dong,

Can you make it working with 4350? I'm getting blank screen, I tried to replace lightlevel from 255 to 0, and both VGA and DVI ports, but nothing happened. I didn't tested with HDMI, I don't have a cable. Here I attached my linux logs (xorg, xrandr, glxinfo, lspci -nnvv): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1601223

Thanks!

I have 1270 working with QuartzGL an in full resolution... Thanks to Thread 289, the hint with the EEID was perfect. QuartzGL i enabled with OSX86tools and it seems to work...

Only QuartzExtreme is not available, but maybe there will be a solution ...

Was this in Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6)? I have the Radeon X1200 too but can't get it working at all! What is "Thread 289"??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys. As I see, there is no hope for ATI Radeon HD Mobility 3430 Graphic Cards to make QE/CI work. Now I'm changing plan into that, please tell me your advices.

I want to change my Grapich Card which is more compatible with Hackintosh. But here is the problem, (I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NS21Z/S) if I want to change it, I have to take my lap top to Sony cause of warranty conditions. And if I want to 'upgrade my card' with another, Sony wants a lot of extra money (In Turkey). So I can't afford both the graphic card itself and Sony's upgrade cost. So I'm thinking to add a PCI-Express graphic card without uninstalling my 3430. Do you have any ideas to get the QE/CI work on hackintosh with a PCI-Express graphic card. Please tell me if you have any suggestions. If not, even if nearly my lap top is working great with 10.6.4, I won't be able to get rid of that QE/CI problem, so hackintosh will be a dream for me :unsure: Thank guys.

Thanks Dong,

I greatly appreciate yours and community's work.

I was able to get full resolution+QE/CI on my external BenQ G2222HDL (1920x1080) connected through D-Sub to my Z96Js having an X1600 Mobility (M56).

Earlier i was using legacy ATINDRV Framebuffer, but somehow it prohibited 1080p resolution on the external display, now i am happy having 1080p resolution and QE/CI enabled.

Thanks alot

Hi,

I have a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4330 (Lenovo IdeaPad U450P - M23L6GE). It would be a perfect notebook, if anybody could develop a kext or any method to get it fully supported.

At the moment I cannot even install ist, the display stays like this.2nb6176.jpg

you must delete every single ATI**.kext in /System/Library/Extensions. Only then put in RadeonHD.kext . NOt using any sort of "Enabler" in boot config ! only this one kext for graphics and you should be happy.

follow instructions within this thread. All Questions have been answered more than once.

No Q/E , dont try it, its impossible with radeonhd.kext. only resolution and flickerfree image in 2D.

Great work,

All I had to do is download the radeonHD.kext from here,

Inistalled it using kexthelper, it reset all permissions.

Rebooted , and now I get my best resolution on Laptop,

AMD X2 Acer travelmate 5530

2Gb RAM

160 Gb HDD

Snowleopard 10.6.3

QE/GL not work , but I dont need it any hoo

Thanks again .