VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5

308 posts in this topic

I think the real problem in Yosemite is its resources request much more than Mavericks. Even many old Macs have experienced problems after upgrading to Yosemite, slow down, graphic glitches etc., while Mavericks ran great. 

Hopefully there is a way to uninstall VMW svga 2?

11Al,

Not sure if it still works but Zenith432 did create an uninstall script, see link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Also, re-installing the VMware tools should remove the guestd-packages patch if installed to support guest-fit for the VMsvga2 driver.

I read whole 15 pages, but still not 3D acceleration and this a shame, i think that there are plenty developers whose would like to teste there SW in virtual machine.

I my case, i would like to test Unity3D games, if would be at least 10 percent of perfromance of physical machine it would be good enough, for most of test cases.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I'm trying to use the VMWare display driver in a virtual MacOS/X instance in QEmu (KVM) running MacOS/X .

I known, that the orginal driver is not supported anymore, so I'm trying to use the VMWare Fusion 7.0 driver (VMwareGfx.kext).

But the driver is not used and I tried many things.

The kernel seems to load the driver, but cannot use it?!

gfx: Loaded com.vmware.kext.VMwareGfx Version 0230.49.77 Build 2304977 (Nov 20 2014 14:49:06)

gfx: svga: Start: Traces not available

gfx: gfx: start: svgaDev.Start failed.

I specified the "-vga vmware" option when starting qemu, but it makes no difference to the "-vga std" option.

Any tips what to check or to try?

Or maybe there is an existing manual available?

(I tried the old and unsupported Svga2 driver (1.2.5), but it hangs during boot.)

You need to install JasF's beamoff.app to disable beamsync.

I used the latest 7.1 VMware tools but the performance is just as bad as before sadly on Yosemite. Without a new VGA driver I'm afraid the performance will never be as it was on Mavericks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I installed this in VMWare , and now  I have all the display sizes,    but now the screen is black, and I see some desktop icons, but I don't have the bar at the bottom.

Also Unable to access any menus from the top.

Background is black.

Any suggestions ??

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why, but I still need to turn off beamsync even after 7.1.1 tools installed... Although it's not as bad as before the current version.

I did some more testing and I agree. 7.1.1 tools is an improvement over 7.1.0 tools, but still get best subjective performance using beamoff.

I did some investigating.  Code to disable beamsync calls 2 functions: CGSSetDebugOptions, CGSDeferredUpdates.  I searched all files in VMware Tools 7.1.1 for these strings, and they're not there.  So Tools 7.1.1 doesn't disable beamsync.

I've also noticed that if I set beamoff.app to run on login (using the login items in preferences) - it doens't always work.  I have to run it manually again.  As if there's some problem running it too soon after boot.

Another thing I noticed is that even with QE on a hackintosh (non-virtual machine), disabling beamsync helps graphics performance.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Yosemite Guest running on a Linux host, VMWare 10 (with latest update).

For VMWare Tools I tried both 7 and 7.1.1 (as found here).

Still, I only get 1024x768 resolution, no other options.

Is there any way to debug this/to fix it?

Thanks!

I have a Yosemite Guest running on a Linux host, VMWare 10 (with latest update).

For VMWare Tools I tried both 7 and 7.1.1 (as found here).

Still, I only get 1024x768 resolution, no other options.

Is there any way to debug this/to fix it?

Thanks!

I still see 1024x768 only in the list, too, but I can adjust the window size and it changes the resolution to exactly whatever my window size happens to be.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi guys Itried to get Tiger on VMWARE with your help but to no avail. I found VirtualBox to work better with it... I have everything working except for proper QE/CI and proper screen resolution, but it still works pretty decently without it. Is there any knowledge you could take from VMWARE and apply it to VIRTUALBOX?

Check out the video I made as proof of concept of waht I've achieved.

It's practically a vanilla installation.. The only error I get is on boot is GFX0 family matching specific fails

Anyone knows how to extract acpi tables from VirtualBox or from OSX Tiger? Any ioreg utilities? I cant find any for Tiger.. If I could, at least I could try and do something about the graphics... Thanks for your help!

try qemu with vfio passthrough. If your hardware can do that (VT-d) but u will need a dedicated gpu, i tried multiple configurations on VMware (ESXi) and i could get nothing working (tested only multiple nvidia cards that normally work under OSX86)  im not sure what you are trying to accomplish by using tables from a virtualised solution for getting good graphic emulation support. Since real OpenGL / Quartz support in a VM seems a no-go. Best would be to test the older based Zenith drivers with Guestpatches.pkg (forgot the name) incl -svga boot switch?

• Like 1