ALC888 100% in Snow Leopard x64

NoSmokingBandit

102 posts in this topic

If anyone has S/P-DIF working, please share.

With the kexts linked on this page Sound Preferences gives three Line Outs, no S/P-Dif Out option. The Line Outs do not produce sound. I am using the Optical Toslink outputs on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 v3.3, which works perfectly in Leopard using Taruga's patcher and a codecdump file.

I have been searching for this solution for nearly two weeks and figured a complete audio driver would eventually emerge.

Anybody? A link even?

With all the DSDT editing and whatnot floating around i desperately sought after a simpler solution. This method uses HDEFEnabler, a x64 version of HDAEnabler from Taruga, and a patched AppleHDA of unknown origins (if you know it belongs to you let me know and i will add your name for credit).

These cant be installed to an efi partition, and have to go in /S/L/E, but if it saves me time and confusion from editing the dsdt i really dont care.

I just installed them using KextHelper which surprisingly works well in 10.6. It will back up your original AppleHDA to /Backup Extensions, so if you need it back you can find it there.

This may also work with other codecs but all i have around here are 888 so i cant test anything else.

The kexts are attached, please report if this worked or not along with your motherboard model. I havent tested this extensively, but as far as i can tell it gives me 5.1 surround on my GA-EP45T-UD3LR

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

Hi, David here...

I have an GA-ep45t-ud3lr mobo, with 4 Gb ddr3, nvidia 8800gts 640 Mb, bla, bla.

Had Leopard 10.5.7 running PRIMO! with sound, ethernet, etc. Sound was a bit flaky with the voodoohda.kext AND Apple HDA.kext. Now, with SNOW LEO, NO sound. I used my old kext without success. I have read lots of posts but no go....

I think I need to patch or modify my DSDT.aml file but it is SO hard for a total noob; well, maybe not a total moron, but I feel like it sometimes, I mean, I doze off reading posts and understand so little. I should have studied computer science instead of medicine. {censored}, Patients are easier than this muck!

Anyway, you guys rock and Steve Jobs should hire you hacks at a high rate of $$$. I do know about the iasl and DSDT helper programs, but I boot fine... Help would be greatly appreciated, but I think I will keep searching the net in my quest... Live Long And Prosper, guys.

Dave. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
With all the DSDT editing and whatnot floating around i desperately sought after a simpler solution. This method uses HDEFEnabler, a x64 version of HDAEnabler from Taruga, and a patched AppleHDA of unknown origins (if you know it belongs to you let me know and i will add your name for credit).

These cant be installed to an efi partition, and have to go in /S/L/E, but if it saves me time and confusion from editing the dsdt i really dont care.

I just installed them using KextHelper which surprisingly works well in 10.6. It will back up your original AppleHDA to /Backup Extensions, so if you need it back you can find it there.

This may also work with other codecs but all i have around here are 888 so i cant test anything else.

The kexts are attached, please report if this worked or not along with your motherboard model. I havent tested this extensively, but as far as i can tell it gives me 5.1 surround on my GA-EP45T-UD3LR

x64_audio_for_ALC888.zip

Giga-byte GA-EX58-UD3R ALC888

This provided audio out through both the rear line out (green) and front headphone jack as long as Headphones was selected in sys prefs. I did not test line in. FWIW the other jacks on the board black, orange, grey show up as Built-in Line Outputs and have stereo sound when selected. System Prefs. shows Internal Mic that registers random audio when of course there is no internal mic. Perfect stereo audio out solution.

Thanks NoSmokingBandit

Giga-byte GA-EX58-UD3R ALC888

This provided audio out through both the rear line out (green) and front headphone jack as long as Headphones was selected in sys prefs. I did not test line in. FWIW the other jacks on the board black, orange, grey show up as Built-in Line Outputs and have stereo sound when selected. System Prefs. shows Internal Mic that registers random audio when of course there is no internal mic. Perfect stereo audio out solution.

Thanks NoSmokingBandit

I'm really interested in getting the EX58-UD3R for my new i7 920 build but I'm really worried about getting full 5.1 or greater sound...are you able to make an aggregate device using audio midi setup to get full 5.1 or greater? What about optical audio...Thanks so much...this would be a huge help!!!

I am in the same boat, ALC888 (7.1 ch) on a GA EP45T-UD3LR. Device shows up under System Profiler, but no sound.

Any suggestions?

Oh...I really don't get it. I have an alc888 (but 7.1, I don't know if that is a problem) and first time that I installed those kext and restarted the devices appeared correctly at the preferences pane, but no sound was coming out of the speakers.

So I restarted my PC in windows to see if there were any problem with the speakers, but in windows they worked just fine. But when I booted in mac os again the devices stopped appearing in the preference pane and the audio MIDI setup doesn't open. Anyone have any idea?

Edit:

I discovered that the problem with audio MIDI setup was the aggregate profile that I made to join the channels, I deleted that and now the program works fine again. But still no audio...

I am in the same boat, ALC888 (7.1 ch) on a GA EP45T-UD3LR. Device shows up under System Profiler, but no sound.

Any suggestions?

Same situation.Although mine is MSI X58 Platinum SLI.But with same Audio Chip,ALC888

should I put the Device ID in it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Great driver, used it on my EP43-D2SL, but allas when upgrading from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 on Mac OSX server sound disappeared.

Any ideas? I hold back the upgrade of MacOSX to 10.6.2.. until help comes..

Tried it but alas still no sound on EP43-DS3L that has the ALC888 chip. After 10.6.1 update from Apple SL install.

Removed/reinstalled VoodooHDA, and other audio kexts, but still no sound for 10.6.1.

Still no sound on EP43-UD3L with ALC888 and 10.6.1; continue searching

Hello,

Great driver, used it on my EP43-D2SL, but allas when upgrading from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 on Mac OSX server sound disappeared.

Any ideas? I hold back the upgrade of MacOSX to 10.6.2.. until help comes..

After an upgrade you usually have to reinstall the kexts.

edit:

i actually just updated myself and the sound no longer works. Anyone have alc888 on 10.6.2 x64?

edit 2:

Working again (as of now, will update tomorrow after more testing) by installing the x64 voodoohda posted here. If its gets all crappy sounding after sleep/wake install sleepwatcher and follow the first post here. If anyone needs help i'll post a more elaborate guide tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Intel DG35EC board and am using the onboard sound. For a long time I have been using Voodoo.kext to get at least stereo sound. I have never had any luck with and ALC kexts, but I figured what the heck, one more try. So I installed these, removed Voodoo.kext and rebooted. My speakers thump when I reboot and I get the following in System Profiler:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x8086D701

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone:

External Microphone:

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Internal

However, once I get to the desktop the speakers thump again and there is no audio device in system preference even though it is still listed in profiler. Any ideas?