Today I want to share with you my experience with installing Snow Leopard on an Asus P5Q motherboard with absolutely no kernel panics whatsoever! Defaults to 64bit enabled too!
1. Obtain the modded bios for this motherboard here:
Modded Bios for P5Q
2. Download and burn the bootcd here:
SL Boot CD - Chameleon RC3
3. Boot system with bootcd and eject when menu appears
4. Insert your retail SL dvd into drive and wait a few seconds then hit F5 and it will now show Mac OSX Install Disk
5. Hit enter and it will boot up into the setup
6. Open up Disk Utility and partition your drive for SL with GUID format
7. Exit out of Disk Utility and then proceed with install picking the defaults or removing unecessary items from list
8. Once install finishes it will state that it did not install successfully (hint it really did, it just could not bless the booting of the installation with out the help of the cd)
9. Reboot system with boot cd and then arrow over to your SL install and hit enter
10. Once you are at the setup screen finish setting up your system.
11. After setting up your system you will have just a few more steps to go for your perfect retail install
12. Download the Kext Helper app here:
Kext Helper App
13. Download the VoodooHDA 64bit kext file here:
VoodooHDA 64Bit Audio driver for ALC1200
14. Install VoodooHDA kext with Kext Helper
15. Reboot system with BootCD still in drive and pick your SL install
16. Voila! At this point you can update as normal and get up to 10.6.1 without any hassles or kernel panics.
* No drivers are needed for the graphics, they are native with full Open CL 1.0 enabled!
* Time Machine works out of the box!
* The only thing missing from this near perfect retail install is a way to get the BootCD boot loader installed on the SL install. Once this is achieved, you will have the perfect Mac Pro using your retail disk unmodified!
Below are the screen shots of my Mac Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 installed: