• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Tenisista

Tenisista

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I'm a total mac noob. Installed SL today on my Dell M1530 and having this kernell panic. Can I plug in my pendrive with your file, and copy it somehow to my installed mac? Do I have to open terminal through installation cd? What are the commands for copying? Thank you in advance!

sigmaris

sigmaris

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Hello. I'm a total mac noob. Installed SL today on my Dell M1530 and having this kernell panic. Can I plug in my pendrive with your file, and copy it somehow to my installed mac? Do I have to open terminal through installation cd? What are the commands for copying? Thank you in advance!

If you can, disable the ATA controller or switch it into AHCI mode. That should let you boot up into SL without panicing, then you can copy the patched IOATAFamily kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ (or /Extra/Extensions) and rebuild the kext cache.
If you can't disable the ATA controller (e.g. if your boot hard drive is attached to it) then if you can boot up using the installation DVD then you can copy the patched kext onto your boot drive using Terminal. The commands to copy would be something like:
cp -R /Volumes/<usb stick name>/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/System/Library/Extensions/
(or)
cp -R /Volumes/<usb stick name>/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/Extra/Extensions/
depending if you want to put it in /System/Library/Extensions/ or /Extra/Extensions/. Then rebuild the kext cache with
kextcache -m /Volumes/<boot drive name>/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/System/Library/Extensions
or
kextcache -m /Volumes/<boot drive name>/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/Extra/Extensions

fassl

fassl

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 623 posts
Hey sigmaris, nice find :) about the boot132 issues, since IOATAFamily has

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
<string>1.0b1</string>

in its Info.plist you can subclass it in a new kernel extension, and just replace the one broken function, that way it should be possible to have the new kext in /Extra/Extensions and leaving IOATAFamily unpatched in the Extensions folder. This should be more future prove as well. If apple ever will modify this kext again since from what i know there are no real macs that will run Snow Leopard and have IDE?

greezs

swinte

swinte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for putting this together! I'm running into the same problem on my ECS 945-GTC M/1333 board and this kext has helped.

sigmaris

sigmaris

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Hey sigmaris, nice find :( about the boot132 issues, since IOATAFamily has

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
<string>1.0b1</string>

in its Info.plist you can subclass it in a new kernel extension, and just replace the one broken function, that way it should be possible to have the new kext in /Extra/Extensions and leaving IOATAFamily unpatched in the Extensions folder. This should be more future prove as well. If apple ever will modify this kext again since from what i know there are no real macs that will run Snow Leopard and have IDE?

greezs

That's interesting... there is some way to make other KEXTs that use IOATAFamily as a provider to use the subclass instead? I should read up on this I guess but I find myself with less and less free time now university term has started...

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

That's interesting... there is some way to make other KEXTs that use IOATAFamily as a provider to use the subclass instead? I should read up on this I guess but I find myself with less and less free time now university term has started...

Is there a way to make it work on a (EFI partition)/Extra/Extensions???

I've tried with OSBlundeRequiered setting to Local-Root and Root only and it doesn't work. It still loads the S/L/E vanilla one. I want to keep my installation as clean as possible by putting all the 3rd party kexts on the EFI partition.

On /S/L/E your kext works fine.

Cheers!

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
BUMP!!!

Anyone?????

adelara

adelara

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

... it is compiled from patched Snow Leopard source code.
The source is available from Apple here and the small patch I used is also attached to this post.

Nice. I am interested in the environment used to recompile it... :ninja:
Are you using another OSX with Xcode ? How about a short desc of the setup ?

Thanks.

adelara

adelara

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope... not on a Lenovo T60 laptop.... :)

It didn't miserably crashed like the unpatched version, but doesn't work either... stuck on the dreaded "Still waiting for the root device"

sigmaris

sigmaris

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Nice. I am interested in the environment used to recompile it... :D
Are you using another OSX with Xcode ? How about a short desc of the setup ?

Thanks.

I just downloaded the source of IOATAFamily from that link, opened the XCode project contained within, edited the source and compiled it. I'm using XCode 3.2 on Snow Leopard.

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I just downloaded the source of IOATAFamily from that link, opened the XCode project contained within, edited the source and compiled it. I'm using XCode 3.2 on Snow Leopard.

Sigmaris,

What can I do to use your kext from EFI partition/Extra/Extensions and override the vanilla one on /S/L/E???

I've tried everything and it doesn't work.

I want my system as vanilla as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

fassl

fassl

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 623 posts
Attached File  SnowFixIOATAFamily.zip   23.46KB   180 downloads

Something like that, i tested it once and it wasnt working :) Maybe you want to play with it further.

greetz

adelara

adelara

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Cool. Gonna try it in a couple of days, once work calm down :(
Will have to use 10.5.8 instead... hmm..... maybe it won't do... I still have
an alternative to borrow a mac mini though.. that should settle.

Thanks ! I appreciate.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 791 posts
The DSDT fix is HERE

Enjoy!

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts

The DSDT fix is HERE

Enjoy!

Interesting. Good work :angel:

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Great!!

I will try it later!

Cheers!

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts

The DSDT fix is HERE

Enjoy!

Thnx!

Didn't had KP's from it, but "disabled" log disappeared.

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Thnx!

Didn't had KP's from it, but "disabled" log disappeared.

Can you explain how to patch the DSDT.aml???

I've already decompiled it to obtain the DSDT.dsl and I can open it with a Text editor.

What do I have to do now????

Can you patch it for me if I give the original DSDT.aml????

Thenks in advance!

Cheers!

EDIT:

It freaking works!!!!!

Now my HACKintosh is TOTALLY vanilla! Everything is on the EFI partition and the SL installation is untouched!!

Thank YOU Mr. The King!!!!!

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
BUMP!!

This kext is not necessary anymore but the Mr King's instructions should be marked as Sticky, with proper instructions of course.

Cheers!!!

moeabm

moeabm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hell ya. Thx for the post. Worked for me (badaxe2)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy