Fix for IOATAFamily / AppleIntelPIIXATA panic in Snow Leopard

sigmaris

77 posts in this topic

I just downloaded the source of IOATAFamily from that link, opened the XCode project contained within, edited the source and compiled it. I'm using XCode 3.2 on Snow Leopard.

Sigmaris,

What can I do to use your kext from EFI partition/Extra/Extensions and override the vanilla one on /S/L/E???

I've tried everything and it doesn't work.

I want my system as vanilla as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

SnowFixIOATAFamily.zip

Something like that, i tested it once and it wasnt working :) Maybe you want to play with it further.

greetz

That's interesting... there is some way to make other KEXTs that use IOATAFamily as a provider to use the subclass instead? I should read up on this I guess but I find myself with less and less free time now university term has started...

I just downloaded the source of IOATAFamily from that link, opened the XCode project contained within, edited the source and compiled it. I'm using XCode 3.2 on Snow Leopard.

Cool. Gonna try it in a couple of days, once work calm down :(

Will have to use 10.5.8 instead... hmm..... maybe it won't do... I still have

an alternative to borrow a mac mini though.. that should settle.

Thanks ! I appreciate.

Thnx!

Didn't had KP's from it, but "disabled" log disappeared.

Can you explain how to patch the DSDT.aml???

I've already decompiled it to obtain the DSDT.dsl and I can open it with a Text editor.

What do I have to do now????

Can you patch it for me if I give the original DSDT.aml????

Thenks in advance!

Cheers!

EDIT:

It freaking works!!!!!

Now my HACKintosh is TOTALLY vanilla! Everything is on the EFI partition and the SL installation is untouched!!

Thank YOU Mr. The King!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

ya my problem is the same..

but could not figure out the solution you gave

could you please give the step by step guide..

i am totally noob..in this arena..

thanks

For people having panics caused by AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext on Snow Leopard (e.g. on Intel BadAxe or BadAxe2 mobo) this kext may provide a solution. AppleIntelPIIXATA loading on a system with the secondary PCI IDE channel disabled seems to trigger a bug in IOATAFamily causing a NULL pointer dereference. I have patched the source of IOATAFamily from Snow Leopard to avoid the bug and recompiled it.

If you are having panics looking like this, try replacing your IOATAFamily.kext with the attached one, and let me know if it fixes the panic. I have gotten access to my PATA drives on a BadAxe 1 board using this kext.

Note that this is not the IOATAFamily from 10.5.8 as described here, it is compiled from patched Snow Leopard source code. The source is available from Apple here and the small patch I used is also attached to this post. The AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is also included in the PlugIns folder of the attached kext, but it is unmodified.

Edit: replaced the suspect .tar.gz with a .zip file

ya my problem is the same..

but could not figure out the solution you gave

could you please give the step by step guide..

i am totally noob..in this arena..

thanks

Just download the kext and install it with Kext Utility (look for it). To install it, you need to drag the kext file to the kext utility app and input your password. That's all.

Another "cleaner" way is to edit your DSDT.aml file and add the code provided by The King on his post on the previous page, and with the DSDT patched you can use the vanilla kext and no need to replace anything.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi, first of all thank you :-)

I was getting the same KP but was able to boot in safe mode.

The new kext placed in Extra/extensions now allows me to see all my other hard drives in the native mode of the drive configuration of my motherboard (DG41RQ) but didn't stop the KP in normal boot.

So I placed the kext in S/L/E but keep getting the same KP although now where it said Mac OS version: Not yet set, I have the 10A432 Os version.

Trying to find the dsdt file right now, but spotlight is not working!

Just a bit more info in case somebody can help me out:

- MBR partition (couldn't get GUID to boot at all).

- Hazard distro, because I couldn't get the Chamaleon/Retail to boot like I said before.

- Chipset g41.

- Can't see USB pendrive because setting in BIOS is to Legacy in order to be able to use the Chamaelon bootloader.

- In the Extra/Extensions folder this is the only kext that I have.

I'll appreciate if somebody can help me out with this.

• 2 weeks later...
If you can, disable the ATA controller or switch it into AHCI mode. That should let you boot up into SL without panicing, then you can copy the patched IOATAFamily kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ (or /Extra/Extensions) and rebuild the kext cache.

If you can't disable the ATA controller (e.g. if your boot hard drive is attached to it) then if you can boot up using the installation DVD then you can copy the patched kext onto your boot drive using Terminal. The commands to copy would be something like:

cp -R /Volumes/<usb stick name>/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/System/Library/Extensions/
  (or)
  cp -R /Volumes/<usb stick name>/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/Extra/Extensions/

depending if you want to put it in /System/Library/Extensions/ or /Extra/Extensions/. Then rebuild the kext cache with

kextcache -m /Volumes/<boot drive name>/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/System/Library/Extensions

or

kextcache -m /Volumes/<boot drive name>/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/Extra/Extensions

Hi, I've ACER TravelMate 4220 with IDE Disk, 10.5 Worked before. I installed Snowleopard by Hazard and when booting I've "80 Conductor cable not found" (see image) I tryed to copy the PIIXARA kext to pen drive, or USB Disk but they are not recognized by boot CD in the terminal so I can't replace the kext... I also tryed different options under Customize when installing, as LegacyPIIXATA, AppleIntelPIIXATA Fix but none of them helped. Any Ideas/Help? Thanks

post-98136-1264174508_thumb.jpg

Hi, I've ACER TravelMate 4220 with IDE Disk, 10.5 Worked before.

I installed Snowleopard by Hazard and when booting I've "80 Conductor cable not found" (see image)

I tryed to copy the PIIXARA kext to pen drive, or USB Disk but they are not recognized by boot CD in the terminal so I can't replace the kext...

I also tryed different options under Customize when installing, as LegacyPIIXATA, AppleIntelPIIXATA Fix but none of them helped.

Any Ideas/Help? Thanks

post-98136-1264177386_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, i'm new on hackintosh and Mac Os system, nut i'm learning a lot.

I have a netbook that was running iAktos and now i have installed Snow Leopad and i'm having exactly this trouble with this panic.

I just don't know what to do with these two files.

I can boot my "mac" with iPortable Snow Leopard and have access to the partition where the "original" SL panic is installed.

I can access its extra folder but i don't know what to change, what to copy, etc...

Could anyone be a little more detailed for me-beginner?

Thank you very much.

• 1 month later...