[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

You're probably thinking of EOF for End Of File, which is a common label. These are just labels and can be any word. In my case, it's End Of Text. The label is defined at the beginning to signify where the end of the text is.

It's a good thing it can be a label, so you can pick a word/string that won't be present in the body.

That's as far as you get? I'm assuming "starting Darwin..." is the last line?

There should be more progress.

Because there is no DSDT file, it'll have to skip that portion and move on. Nothing abnormal here.

There's nothing unusual in the posted log. But, there should be more.

Is the activity light on the DVD read flashing (reading)?

MAJ

The computer reboots after that :rolleyes:

Just checking in. Cruisar, is the latest patch working with your method, do you know? Thanks.

Yes it works flawlessly. Just a heads up to those using the FakeSMC only setup. I have managed to shave off approximaterly 25 - 30 seconds of boot time by switching over to the IONetworkingfamily.kext and also installing 2 extra kexts. See screenshot.

If you are interested, you can give it a go and report back.

Cheers

Charles

post-371855-1290470328_thumb.png

The computer reboots after that :(

What kind of installer disc are you using? It needs to be a authentic Mac OS X Installer DVD.

What version of Snow Leopard?

MAJ

Yes it works flawlessly. Just a heads up to those using the FakeSMC only setup. I have managed to shave off approximaterly 25 - 30 seconds of boot time by switching over to the IONetworkingfamily.kext and also installing 2 extra kexts. See screenshot.

That's impressive time savings. I remember looking at that DSDT - so small and short! Just down to the essentials.

You ought to do the native AHCI/SATA fix to remove external HD icons, too, unless you have a eSATA setup and want hot-plugging.

Then, you can remove the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

MAJ

Ah. Happens upon exit. Okay, that helps. Is this from the menu "Exit" #21?

Sounds like it attempting to write to log after exiting as superuser. Hmmm.

MAJ

Yeah it happens upon exit from menu exit 21, the more the reason why I was baffled by seeing it for the very first time. I have the SATA/AHCI fix in the DSDT. I will remove that kext and see if the boot time remains the same.

EDIT

I no longer have the JMicron36xSATA and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. Only fakeSMC and IONetworkingfamily.kext in /Extra and boot time is appx 30 seconds from when I choose a partition and hit enter til it reaches the desktop :(

It's the retail dvd 10.6.

garlik82,

Sorry you are having trouble. Did you download the Preboot ISO or create from the script?

If you created it from the script, I may suggest downloading the ISO, instead.

I think I may see what may be the issue. I probably chose a bootloader for the Preboot ISO creation that doesn't support DSDT bypass.

MAJ

garlik82,

Sorry you are having trouble. Did you download the Preboot ISO or create from the script?

If you created it from the script, I may suggest downloading the ISO, instead.

I think I may see what may be the issue. I probably chose a bootloader for the Preboot ISO creation that doesn't support DSDT bypass.

MAJ

I've downloaded the bootcd iso from the first post :(

Yeah it happens upon exit from menu exit 21, the more the reason why I was baffled by seeing it for the very first time. I have the SATA/AHCI fix in the DSDT. I will remove that kext and see if the boot time remains the same.

EDIT

I no longer have the JMicron36xSATA and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. Only fakeSMC and IONetworkingfamily.kext in /Extra and boot time is appx 30 seconds from when I choose a partition and hit enter til it reaches the desktop ;)

Ha! Only two kexts! :D

Now, if only the board vendors would do something about the time-consuming BIOS posting.

I hear some vendors are starting to roll out UEFI. Haven't heard of users' experiences, though.

MAJ

I've downloaded the bootcd iso from the first post :(

Oh. Okay.

Anyone here with ideas?

I just noticed you are using the -x flag. Don't boot into Safe Mode when booting the installer.

You don't need to use any flags at all, as they are included in the Preboot CD.

Additionally, your KP screen doesn't look like it was in verbose mode (-v) anyway. So, don't know what's happening there.

MAJ

Apologies for jumping back in, should I start a new thread to ask an install problem from the script posted here?

I have two problems, one recurring and one new. First, I get a warning with the script that I have duplicate mount points. The script wants me to exit until I fix the problem but allows me to play through. I have read and re-read the instructions. I have gone to the Apple support page here: Apple Support Duplicate Mount Points I do not see two drives with the same name. I tried renaming the drive I Was trying to get a boot on, nothing is working. I do not understand the instructions. Everything tells me what to do when I find the two volumes, but it isn't saying where they are or where to look. SO far I am not finding duplicate mounted drives. A little help would be appreciated.

Second, I have had a problem for quite some time that I Cannot fix. I get an error message anytime I try to read a CD or DVD or plug in my iPod (which will show as a disk but will not launch iTunes or show it's image in itunes anymore (it used to ). I can not plug in my Blackberry either. The error message said that my IOStorageFamily.kext was installed improperly. I have just done a whole lot of work redoing the boot volume and I am still getting this issue.

Any suggestions would me most appreciated.

Oh. Okay.

Anyone here with ideas?

I just noticed you are using the -x flag. Don't boot into Safe Mode when booting the installer.

You don't need to use any flags at all, as they are included in the Preboot CD.

Additionally, your KP screen doesn't look like it was in verbose mode (-v) anyway. So, don't know what's happening there.

MAJ

I can't get the verbose mode screen it's just to fast to take a snapshot.

I've had leopard on this machine in the past never had any problems and I've always used your guides.

Been rocking 10.6.4 for sometime using this guide, and updated to 10.6.5 today, and I stall out now during the boot process. Did a clean install as well to try to isolate anything I've done to the system in th mean time. Still same stall.

All I did was install 10.6.5 combo, and rebuilt my kext caches.

Any help out there?

post-7805-1290475851_thumb.jpg

EDIT

I no longer have the JMicron36xSATA and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. Only fakeSMC and IONetworkingfamily.kext in /Extra and boot time is appx 30 seconds from when I choose a partition and hit enter til it reaches the desktop ;)

Ha ha ha nice Charles,

I'm still using your setup and loving it. I actually took out the C and P states and am using the RC 5 generated ones now. My boot time isn't AS good as yours, but 37 seconds isn't too shabby. I have 4 Kexts all are in my S/L/E though.

ALC889a.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and mapMemoryDriver.kext (that last one was for setting my GFX card fan to auto to keep its temp done). For some reason I could never get my audio to work with just your dsdt, but one more kext doesn't add too much time hahaha.

As always MAJ, Charles, I am in awe of how easy you guys make this stuff. Keep up the great work.

ZoroLives,

RE: duplicate mount points

If the script is behaving properly for you, you can ignore it. I don't know what version you have, but the latest versions allow you to turn off that warning and continue without it disrupting your work.

A simple error check is if the list of volumes showing from the ls command in Terminal is more than what is shown as mounted from the command mount, then we have problems.

RE: Storage error message

Anytime the OS shows an error that a kext was not installed properly, it typically means the permissions are not correct.

Go in the Terminal and paste and execute the following commands:

sudo -s

(password)

cd /Volumes/YOUR_HARD_DRIVE/System/Library

chown -R root:wheel Extensions

chmod -R 755 Extensions

Then, rebuild caches.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Been rocking 10.6.4 for sometime using this guide, and updated to 10.6.5 today, and I stall out now during the boot process. Did a clean install as well to try to isolate anything I've done to the system in th mean time. Still same stall.

All I did was install 10.6.5 combo, and rebuilt my kext caches.

Any help out there?

Nothing looks out of the ordinary in the log. Did you have to use special nVidia drivers for your setup?

I'd say somethings up with the video card. Are you sure you still have the EFI string?

garlik82,

How was this retail DVD created?

Like you say, it does need to be unmodified or genuine.

MAJ

Ok so I went out and bought a legit 10.6.3 disc :) everything went great, except for the boot screen when my hackintosh is started. I get an error saying the image couldn't be found, and after that I get a bunch o text (it looks like when we type -v), but the OS boots fine.

What can I do?

I came across another problem, I have 2 IDE drives and they both are formated as NTFS, but they don't show up :D what's up?

Nothing looks out of the ordinary in the log. Did you have to use special nVidia drivers for your setup?

I'd say somethings up with the video card. Are you sure you still have the EFI

No graphics drivers installed yet with the latest install, using a 5870. EFI? I've just followed the guide with this result, completely freezing at that point. Something to do with ACPI timing out.

Ok so I went out and bought a legit 10.6.3 disc :D everything went great, except for the boot screen when my hackintosh is started. I get an error saying the image couldn't be found, and after that I get a bunch o text (it looks like when we type -v), but the OS boots fine.

What can I do?

I came across another problem, I have 2 IDE drives and they both are formated as NTFS, but they don't show up :) what's up?

Ah, good to know you finally got it working. The image that couldnt be found is a bug in your choice of bootloader, not that it really matters as the system will still work. I got the same error when I updated my bootLoader. It simply means Chameleon cannot find the background.png file in the active theme. You can simply fix this by copying the background.png file from one of the other themes and pasting it in the default theme.

The bootplist in the extra folder by default boots the system in verbose mode (-v). If you dont want this, you have to remove that command completely from the bootplist. That is remove these two lines:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 -v</string>

IDE Drives wont be recognized buy the OS, they all need to be SATA. If you want them to show up then you need to go get yaself a IDE to SATA converter or just by a cheap SATA drive.

Cheers

Charles

No graphics drivers installed yet with the latest install, using a 5870. EFI? I've just followed the guide with this result, completely freezing at that point. Something to do with ACPI timing out.

You got a 5870?

I was looking at your sig and thought you had a nVidia card.

Your system is booting, but not able to display.

You may be able to boot into Safe Mode (-x).

Are you using the RC5 bootloader? I'd think it should recognize the graphics card with the "GraphicsEnabler"="Yes" key.

If nothing works, then you're may have to install the ATY_Init.kext in /System to get your card info injected into your system.

The graphics forum may be helpful.

best of wishes,

MAJ

P.S.

What did you have to do to get your 5870 running on 10.6.4?

Appreciate it. I am in big trouble now. I am getting KPs on my old formerly stable instal that I use mostly as BU now. Surprised I am getting this far.

Continue: I have tried about every way with the script and I am just not making one work. One method suggested SleepEnabler should be set to "0". so I did that. No difference.

Continue: I can't even reinstall on a third disk as KP will set in before I am half through. The KP on this current booted drive says it's "GetPhysicalSegment" out of 32b ...CLASS IOGeneralMemoryDescriptor

Continue: I keep getting the multiple mount point error every time I run a script step. Something is not right. It never did that before. Ignoring it but, maybe I need to repair something?

Continue: I am getting exasperated. I try this, reboot, wait, try that, reboot, wait. Days have gone by. I am looking to friends to log in to ask - still amazed that I have not KPed while posting here. I cant promise I will be able to read a response right away either.

Mounted from mounts -UW

/dev/disk4 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local)

fdesc on /dev (fdesc, union)

map -hosts on /net (autofs, automounted)

map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted)

/dev/disk5s2 on /Volumes/Gold Drive (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/Seagate External (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk3s2 on /Volumes/Denver (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk1s2 on /Volumes/Macstart2 (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk0s2 on /Volumes/Macstart1 (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk6s3 on /Volumes/Patriot (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)

I recognize these:

/dev/disk5s2 on /Volumes/Gold Drive (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/Seagate External (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk3s2 on /Volumes/Denver (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk1s2 on /Volumes/Macstart2 (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk0s2 on /Volumes/Macstart1 (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk6s3 on /Volumes/Patriot (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)

I don't recognize these:

/dev/disk4 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local)

fdesc on /dev (fdesc, union)

map -hosts on /net (autofs, automounted)

map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted)

The Macstart volumes are part of a software RAID set up, the one I am currently booted on and having these sudden KP's on now. So probably on e of hte mount points is from the raided disk. Other than That I have no idea.

I would very much apprecaite any suggestions. Seaget drive has a fresh back up of the Gold drive. THe Gold drive is my main disk. I cannot boot to any disk now but this RAID disk through Macstart1.

Current RAID drive is still at 10.5, the others are now at 10.6.5 (current). Once I get the main drives solid and stable I want to get the raid running (Current Version of OSX) again and make it my main boot disk.

Much much thanks for any assistance and appologoes in avance iff I dont getback to it right away. THis is by far the longest I ahve been able to stay booted in a couple of days.

ZoroLives,

RE: duplicate mount points

If the script is behaving properly for you, you can ignore it. I don't know what version you have, but the latest versions allow you to turn off that warning and continue without it disrupting your work.

A simple error check is if the list of volumes showing from the ls command in Terminal is more than what is shown as mounted from the command mount, then we have problems.

RE: Storage error message

Anytime the OS shows an error that a kext was not installed properly, it typically means the permissions are not correct.

Go in the Terminal and paste and execute the following commands:

sudo -s

(password)

cd /Volumes/YOUR_HARD_DRIVE/System/Library

chown -R root:wheel Extensions

chmod -R 755 Extensions

Then, rebuild caches.

best of wishes,

MAJ

ZoroLives,

I'm assuming your RAID drives are on the JMicron controller. If so, I may suggest moving them to the Intel controller, at least temporarily, and see if it resolves your KPs. Worth a try.

As for the duplicate mount points:

The mount list you posted should be find. They are what's actually mounted. The issue is how it compares to the ls command in Terminal, as those are what the system uses as mount points. If you have a "drive" that shows up in ls that isn't in the mount list, that would be a problem and would need to be deleted once you are sure it is not a valid drive. Just do rm -rf /Volumes/FAKE_MOUNT_POINT

Provide that list here, if you can.

best of wishes,

MAJ