[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

• Please log in to reply
782 replies to this topic

Poll: Did it work without issues? (428 member(s) have cast votes)

Install check

1. Yes (GA-P35-DS4) (165 votes [38.55%])

Percentage of vote: 38.55%

2. No (GA-P35-DS4) (43 votes [10.05%])

Percentage of vote: 10.05%

3. Yes (Different MB) (164 votes [38.32%])

Percentage of vote: 38.32%

4. No (Different MB) (56 votes [13.08%])

Percentage of vote: 13.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

hansblix

hansblix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I am gettin kernel panic on my first boot after installation.
edited .plist but the installer showed me that error postupgrade script for snowjob...
but I think it could not work because of my pata drives?The Snow partition is on a sata drive but I have 2 more pata drives.

Sry, I didnt read carefully. I did install Extras with camelon rc2. Now the installation went well. I wonder if i can install chameleon rc3 after having installed snow...I just need my computer today an cannot play around so much time ;-)

Ah and my pata drives are not recognized...which is not sooo bad...but anyway.

MacDad

MacDad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm having problem with this install method. When I'm opening OSInstall.mpkg it installs fine (deselect printer) but the root of HD is messed up with folders I normally do not see. Another thing is that the install.log is not created after I have installed Chameleon and GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer. When I boot the computer freeze at the Chameleon boot screen.

I have a GA-P35-DS4 installed with 10.5.7 using LS8 v17. I'm installing from this HD to a second HD (tried both internal HD and USB).

I also tried to install SL to a USB from my MacBook. In this case I can not install the Chameleon.

Can someone please help!

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

...my pata drives are not recognized...which is not sooo bad...but anyway.

Forget PATA, it is not supported.

I'm having problem with this install method. When I'm opening OSInstall.mpkg it installs fine (deselect printer) but the root of HD is messed up with folders I normally do not see. Another thing is that the install.log is not created after I have installed Chameleon and GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer. When I boot the computer freeze at the Chameleon boot screen.

Make sure that you point the SL to the correct (empty) partition, ditto for Chameleon installer!

CmCd01

CmCd01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 74 posts

NTFS-3G 4.4 does only work in 32bit however but it can be switched on and off.

NTFS drivers are built-in to Snow Leopard - see this thread NTFS info on how to enable. I am writing to NTFS drives without NTFS-3G.

MacDad

MacDad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

(MacDad @ Sep 10 2009, 10:48 AM) Posted ImageI'm having problem with this install method. When I'm opening OSInstall.mpkg it installs fine (deselect printer) but the root of HD is messed up with folders I normally do not see. Another thing is that the install.log is not created after I have installed Chameleon and GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer. When I boot the computer freeze at the Chameleon boot screen.

Make sure that you point the SL to the correct (empty) partition, ditto for Chameleon installer!

I did format my second HD as a single and empty GUID partition. Then I installed everything to this new HD. Just as I did when I successfully installed 10.5.7 using LS8v17. Tried this several times and every time the root of the new HD is messed up with folders that normally is not visible. I believe it is the install of the OSInstall.mpkg that goes wrong. Any suggestions?

the_gael

the_gael

not a complete idiot - some parts are missing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I did format my second HD as a single and empty GUID partition. Then I installed everything to this new HD. Just as I did when I successfully installed 10.5.7 using LS8v17. Tried this several times and every time the root of the new HD is messed up with folders that normally is not visible. I believe it is the install of the OSInstall.mpkg that goes wrong. Any suggestions?

I have noticed the messy folders as well - some appeared to be shortcuts so I deleted them to see what happened. What happened was that my system would not boot past the spinning wheel - so i have just re-installed and left them there. At some point I would like to tidy up the root of my drive.

I will follow with interest any progress on these folders, in the meantime having installed my system on a Solid State Drive and keeping User profiles on a SATA drive Snow Kitty absolutely flies on my machine so I am delighted with performance and will put up with the messy appearance just now.

mafiasilk

mafiasilk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Anyone know how to fix the Disk Utility Error in noob talk?
Using this guide when i run DU, I get

Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk

I've searched plenty of threads and some mention running BSD.pkg, I dont know how to run this or even where it is, should I run this on this guide? or another way to fix it?

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I think this DU bug occurs if you install Snow Leo from Leo. Try to install Snow Leo from another Snow Leo.

captcolin

captcolin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Guys, i have 5.7 working fine at the moment,i use usb active speakers,so dont need drivers for onboard sound,also i have a 8800gts,320meg,running full 1920x1080,so will i be able to run snow 10.6,with out to much trouble,i'm a complete noob, so be gentle :P :D

the_gael

the_gael

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Is anyone experiencing problems with Time Machine? I have just set up a Drive as a Time Machine Backup and it fails each time I try and run a backup.

I get this error

Posted Image

I have never seen this error before so if anyone can shed light on what it may be please let me know!
Thanks

Edited to Say: I just found that in my Energy Saver the disks are set by default to sleep after 15 minutes which is exactly the time that the backups fail. I have just adjusted this and am testing to see if this has any effect on the issue

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Anyone know how to fix the Disk Utility Error in noob talk?
Using this guide when i run DU, I get

Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk

I've searched plenty of threads and some mention running BSD.pkg, I dont know how to run this or even where it is, should I run this on this guide? or another way to fix it?

Put in DVD

Run in terminal: open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg

mafiasilk

mafiasilk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I think this DU bug occurs if you install Snow Leo from Leo. Try to install Snow Leo from another Snow Leo.

I tried installing Snow again from inside snow using this guide. It installed, but I cannot get Chameleon to install, says failed? Any ideas

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

I tried installing Snow again from inside snow using this guide. It installed, but I cannot get Chameleon to install, says failed? Any ideas

Mine does that too. Not sure why. It does seem to work though.

MacDad

MacDad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

(mafiasilk @ Sep 10 2009, 09:07 PM)

Mine does too. Can I install the Snow Installer from my Mac Book as well? Or do I need to run this from my Leopard install on the DS4?

zikade

zikade

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Brillant work, dude.
I had to replace the - working - dsdt.aml with my own dsdt for use with my graphics card. Runs fine in 32 and 64-Bit mode, the latter without (surprise, surprise) bonjour. And resuming from sleep.

Thanks again!

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Mine does too. Can I install the Snow Installer from my Mac Book as well? Or do I need to run this from my Leopard install on the DS4?

The problem would be generating a DSDT. I don't think that would work from a macbook.

artmusic

artmusic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 32 posts
thanks for this fine tutorial !
My questions:
- I have a working OS X 10.5.8 install on drive 1 ( GA -P35-DS4, 8 Gb Ram,Q8200,Nvidia 9400GT 512 mb)
- I want to install SnowLeo on drive 2 first for testing- so I want to DualBoot 10.5.8 and snowleo ( 10.6)
- can I boot again after install of 10.6. to my old 10.5.8 install with the new chameleon 2 rc3 r658 ??
- or what I have to do to preserve or rescue my working 10.5.8 install in case of trouble with 10.6. ??

the_gael

the_gael

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Is anyone experiencing problems with Time Machine? I have just set up a Drive as a Time Machine Backup and it fails each time I try and run a backup.

I get this error

Posted Image

I have never seen this error before so if anyone can shed light on what it may be please let me know!
Thanks

Edited to Say: I just found that in my Energy Saver the disks are set by default to sleep after 15 minutes which is exactly the time that the backups fail. I have just adjusted this and am testing to see if this has any effect on the issue

OK, I reset the Energy saver settings to set sleep for a much longer time ie 3hrs and all works fine.
I am assuming that normally the machine should not Kill a backup by sending the disks to sleep - so is anyone aware of this issue or have I missed something - I did a google search for Snow leopard, sleep and Time Machine but nothing came up. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have addressed the issue by extending the time before the machine sleeps but would prefer if I can get it all working normally.

the_gael

the_gael

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
OK so 10.6.1 update is out - anyone updated yet?

pan-pan

pan-pan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I have no sound!! What can i do? i have the p35-ds4 mobo and f14 bios! Everything else working great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy