[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

As mentioned, look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1275952

I don't know. Audio requires a LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E and some DSDT modifications. I doubt that the kextcache command would break it.

I have sound again :D

I think that it had something to do with the kextcache command. After some study of the kextcache man pages I have successfully executed the following command:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

which brought me back to the sound world :trumpet:

Thanks once again for this tutorial!

Thanks for the hard work Tseug. Kind of working for me here, but not quite. Hope you can help me figure it out. I'm on GA-P35-DS4 and using Nvidia 8600GT. Followed your instructions and the SL seems to be running, did not have to use EFI studio for graphis/network/sound, the grahics card is working with whatever your installer installed. I would like to know what it installed though. ?? What is PlatformUUID.kext, facesmc.kext, LegacyHDA.kext? Seems less "vanilla" then before.

However, no HD icons on the desktop now. Is that SL feature or problem? One of my HD's is not accessible via finder either. I can mount it with Disk Utility and I can access it with terminal, but trying to use finder to open that drive I get an error about alias broken, would I like to try to fix it or delete, I tried both, neither works.

Also, the HD icons look like orange removable drives. This must be an AHCI thing? That was working before with whatever I used to install from LS8v17. I don't know what you installed this time, something different then that.

Any idea how to get my HD's recognized in SL properly?

Also, what do I need to do in order to enable Bonjour, or is that already working now with your basic installer?

Also, how can I configure the SMBIOS to get the Same machine serial number and UUID that I was using before under Leopard? I need that for some protected programs i use/.

I'm glad this works, but I guess I will go back to leopard for a while until those issues seem more sorted out.

I was able to run software update directly from apple no problem to get to 10.6.1

Thanks for the hard work Tseug. Kind of working for me here, but not quite. Hope you can help me figure it out. I'm on GA-P35-DS4 and using Nvidia 8600GT. Followed your instructions and the SL seems to be running, did not have to use EFI studio for graphis/network/sound, the grahics card is working with whatever your installer installed. I would like to know what it installed though. ?? What is PlatformUUID.kext, facesmc.kext, LegacyHDA.kext? Seems less "vanilla" then before.

However, no HD icons on the desktop now. Is that SL feature or problem? One of my HD's is not accessible via finder either. I can mount it with Disk Utility and I can access it with terminal, but trying to use finder to open that drive I get an error about alias broken, would I like to try to fix it or delete, I tried both, neither works.

Also, the HD icons look like orange removable drives. This must be an AHCI thing? That was working before with whatever I used to install from LS8v17. I don't know what you installed this time, something different then that.

Any idea how to get my HD's recognized in SL properly?

Also, what do I need to do in order to enable Bonjour, or is that already working now with your basic installer?

Also, how can I configure the SMBIOS to get the Same machine serial number and UUID that I was using before under Leopard? I need that for some protected programs i use/.

I'm glad this works, but I guess I will go back to leopard for a while until those issues seem more sorted out.

I was able to run software update directly from apple no problem to get to 10.6.1

I've added a summary of what the kexts do and an FAQ to the guide.

I have sound again ;)

I think that it had something to do with the kextcache command. After some study of the kextcache man pages I have successfully executed the following command:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

which brought me back to the sound world ;)

OK. I don't use an /Extra/Extensions.mkext and that seems to work fine.

You are welcome !

Did you comment out pex and move the board in the same time. I think that moving the bord in enough. I did not remeber if I removed comments after moving my ethenet board.

The installer issue is maybe related to the PCI port and not to ethernet. Tseug, Should it be possible that the installer is disabling the first PCI port ?

Everything is possible. I'm not an ACPI expert by any measure. There doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate, however, and as mentioned, I can't test which patch is the problem.

Hi Guys;

I have followed the guide GA-P35-DS4 and installed from retail Snow Leopard DVD. I am able to boot into SL if I leave the boot disk in the drive. I am using Chameleon RC3. At the prompt with the disk in I select SL,boots with no problem. If I leave out the boot disk Chameleon loads. When I select the Sl drive I have errors.The are hard to see which ones as I can't boot into -v. I have tried installing all the kexts from the boot cd yet no success. What am I missing in my SL drive that is on the CD boot drive?

Regards

FAQ still does not explain one one of my HD's connected to the purple SATA port will not function in the finder at all, it can only be mounted directly in terminal and I can cd to it and look at files with terminal. But any access through Finder just gives me errors about broken alias.

I can't remember why I chose the purpose ports a while ago, seems like there was a valid reason I did that, but it escapes me now. Do the LS8v17 kexts work under SL too? Is there any reason I can' install a few of those to get things working for me the way they were?

Of the kexts that Tseug's installer installs, which are mandatory to function with the current EFI, mobo setup and which are optional. For example, the SMC emulator? is that mandatory?

thanks

FAQ still does not explain one one of my HD's connected to the purple SATA port will not function in the finder at all, it can only be mounted directly in terminal and I can cd to it and look at files with terminal. But any access through Finder just gives me errors about broken alias.

I can't remember why I chose the purpose ports a while ago, seems like there was a valid reason I did that, but it escapes me now. Do the LS8v17 kexts work under SL too? Is there any reason I can' install a few of those to get things working for me the way they were?

You can probably fix it by switching the drive to the yellow connectors. I'm not sure what installing kexts from the LS8v17 will do. I don't see any reason to use the purple connectors unless you've filled up the yellow connectors.

Of the kexts that Tseug's installer installs, which are mandatory to function with the current EFI, mobo setup and which are optional. For example, the SMC emulator? is that mandatory?

thanks

I'm guessing fakesmc.kext is the only mandatory one for boot, but of course you'll have no sound, you won't be able to use sleep, reboot/shutdown won't work, you'll get UUID errors in your system.log, and your CPU temperature will rise.

did you have to add any other kexts for bonjour to work? like realtek? I am vaguely recalling something about the purple sata ports are better for some reason. anyway, later on I will try some of LS8's kexts that were so smooth under leopard.

thanks

The other remaining question is about SMBIOS. Under Leopard I have been using a vesion of SMBIOS that allowed me to specify a UUID and machine serial number, mem sizes too. Some of my product authorizations took this into account and I needed to have unique info. I would prefer to keep that stuff the same as I had before, but I'm not sure how to configure that with this new SL setup.

Hi Guys;

I have followed the guide GA-P35-DS4 and installed from retail Snow Leopard DVD. I am able to boot into SL if I leave the boot disk in the drive. I am using Chameleon RC3. At the prompt with the disk in I select SL,boots with no problem. If I leave out the boot disk Chameleon loads. When I select the Sl drive I have errors.The are hard to see which ones as I can't boot into -v. I have tried installing all the kexts from the boot cd yet no success. What am I missing in my SL drive that is on the CD boot drive?

Regards

You're missing the DSDT.aml and the boot file in /. The DSDT.aml needs to be generated especially for your machine.

did you have to add any other kexts for bonjour to work? like realtek? I am vaguely recalling something about the purple sata ports are better for some reason. anyway, later on I will try some of LS8's kexts that were so smooth under leopard.

thanks

No. The ifconfig file and the launchd script takes care of bonjour, as mentioned in the guide.

The other remaining question is about SMBIOS. Under Leopard I have been using a vesion of SMBIOS that allowed me to specify a UUID and machine serial number, mem sizes too. Some of my product authorizations took this into account and I needed to have unique info. I would prefer to keep that stuff the same as I had before, but I'm not sure how to configure that with this new SL setup.

Neither am I.

tseug, you are the man. This guide got my GA-P35-DS3 up and running in no time.

Install went fine, booted into SL with network but no video or audio. Ran EFIStudio, added my 8600GT to the boot.plist, works great. I had to download VoodooHDA to get audio working.

Three questions.

1. Right now, I have to boot to the Chameleon CD and select my SL System disk every time I restart - how do I set my HD to be bootable without Chameleon?

2. Audio. I've got it working, but only with VoodooHDA. Is there a more elegant way to do audio on my GA-P35-DS3 so I've got all ports and 5.1 working properly?

3. I've got a PS/2 keyboard with an Alt key that is about the size of the Apple/Command key, so I'd love to use it as my Hackintosh's keyboard. Is there a kext for PS/2?

THANKS. Your guide was easier than any other one I found and worked like a charm.

I love my new Hackintosh! Welcome me to the club!

tseug, you are the man. This guide got my GA-P35-DS3 up and running in no time.

Install went fine, booted into SL with network but no video or audio. Ran EFIStudio, added my 8600GT to the boot.plist, works great. I had to download VoodooHDA to get audio working.

Three questions.

1. Right now, I have to boot to the Chameleon CD and select my SL System disk every time I restart - how do I set my HD to be bootable without Chameleon?

2. Audio. I've got it working, but only with VoodooHDA. Is there a more elegant way to do audio on my GA-P35-DS3 so I've got all ports and 5.1 working properly?

3. I've got a PS/2 keyboard with an Alt key that is about the size of the Apple/Command key, so I'd love to use it as my Hackintosh's keyboard. Is there a kext for PS/2?

THANKS. Your guide was easier than any other one I found and worked like a charm.

I love my new Hackintosh! Welcome me to the club!

Did you use the installer?

I also found in /Extr/smbios.plist there is an entry for serial number, and a bunch of entries related to memory speed, type, etc. that I will research later. For UUID there is an info.plist inside the PlatformUUID.kext which contains a hard coded UUID, so I will try to hard code my own in there later and see if it works(verified, yes it works). That should hopefully give me the same machine id for itunes and other program authorizations, but we'll see.

Reinstalling Chamelon (via Tseug's installer) with the HD's in the yellow ports seems to have fixed that issue. So now i'm booting into SL with the yellow ports and no more orange drives. Nonetheless, my data drive(which works fine under 10.5.8, just keeps coming up with broken alias message when I try to open in Finder. Very strange. Now that I've switched to yellow ports I'm gonna just reinstall SL from scratch, hopefully that will be it.

By the way i did test out changing serial number and UUID as mentioned above and it seems to stick and show appropriately in "About this Mac". We'll see what happens when I start authorizing some of my programs later.

Did anyone try to upgrade or migrate from 10.5 to SL in order to get all their settings and software intact?

Couldn't hurt. With the installer it should work out of the box, and I would expect your 8600GT to work without EFI strings.

Guess it didn't. No idea why.

Both 8600GT and 9600GT work for me OOTB with latest version of the installer.

Couldn't hurt. With the installer it should work out of the box, and I would expect your 8600GT to work without EFI strings.

Guess it didn't. No idea why.

No worries about the video card, that was a snap to get working.

Should the installer fix my boot or audio issues?

Dunno, I never could get my data drive to work on the yellow ports with SL. I'm convinced this must have something to do with Chameleon getting confused between my old 10.5.8 partition and the new one I created for SL. Perhaps its getting the wrong partition map somehow or and/or getting the wrong kext from the /Extra of the wrong partition. That's all I can figure right now, but I am just about ready to give up unless someone can shed some light.

Can someone enlighten me on how chameleon is supposed to work when there is more than one partition with OSX installed?

Some more feedback, worked well with my GA-EP35-DS3P r2.1 w/ 250GTS, couple of issues remain:

1. On wake from sleep:
    • Display (Viewsonic VA2026w) comes back dim ~50% brightness.
    • USB drives require a remount

[*]If the installer over writes a newer Chameleon, Cham won't boot. Reinstalling r658 fixes the problem.

[*]I can only boot in 64 bit mode, 32 bit KPs after few seconds on desktop.

Is it possible:

I just installed SnowLeo on a 1.5 terabyte Samsung disk.

Chameleon is not working on that disk, it give a couple of error messages, then stops.

If i put the installer on an USB drive and run Chameleon from it it works, and selecting the 1.5 tera disk SnowLeo boots happily and works as expected.

I hope that somebody has an explanation

Is it possible:

I just installed SnowLeo on a 1.5 terabyte Samsung disk.

Chameleon is not working on that disk, it give a couple of error messages, then stops.

If i put the installer on an USB drive and run Chameleon from it it works, and selecting the 1.5 tera disk SnowLeo boots happily and works as expected.

I hope that somebody has an explanation

Sorry it was a stupid question. Chameleon can handle disks up to 1 tera.

Please disregard the question.

Sorry it was a stupid question. Chameleon can handle disks up to 1 tera.

Please disregard the question.

You might be able to get it to work with the boot file from Chameleon RC3. The current boot file is from Netkas because it handle auto-injection of graphics better.

No worries about the video card, that was a snap to get working.

Should the installer fix my boot or audio issues?

Yes

I'm happy to report a SUCCESSFUL dual boot of Win7 RTM OEM and OSX 10.6.1 on this board on a SINGLE drive!... Just going for a 3rd install to make sure I have my procedure perfected and stable!.

Been looking into dual booting for weeks, but guides that have taken me off on tangents (and/or my attention span sucking!) I'll try to keep my how-to as comprehensive, straight-forward, and intuitive without anyone having to GUESS anything like i've been having to experiment with for a long time now!

I just want to personally applaud Tseug for his guide AND support of everyone (as well as the other users of this board helping others). I specifically bought this motherboard for it's compatibility, BUT some of the posts here have made it so absurdly easy!... I'm aiming to bring the same level of competence of a Dual-Boot how-to to you guys! <3