10.6 Generic Retail Install Guide

noob766

414 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm trying to install SL on an Core Duo* (*Core (1) Duo) Notebook. I boot w/ -v option and all runs ok but when it would get into the language selection menu it freeze with a white screen (without the apple logo).

I've tried to boot with the Boot-132 Disc and also with a usb with chameleon RC3 (with fakesmc and disabler kexts) using the original SL install disk and an USB copy of it. any combination of these would get into the white screen...

It's a very low-ending machine, so the bios has no option at all. (only the very basic options, but no SATA configuration or HPET or anything you should expect to make any difference for a SL install) It has intel chipset w/ ICH7 / GMA950 / Realtek 8111B

It's already dual booting W7 and Leo 10.5.6 and I also have a c2quad (Q8200 / P5QC / 9500GT) runing sl 10.6.1 very smoothly, but it would be nice to have OS 10.6 running into this laptop.

If anyone have some advices to me i would really appreciate!

Also sorry for any bad english in here.

thanks in advance!

So... I need an already exisiting mac with leopard to be able to boot snow either way? can`t i just do it througth windows? please help! ^_^

nope. you can use boot132 cd to install straight from a retail snow dvd without the need of any previous versions.

Hi there,

I'm trying to install SL on an Core Duo* (*Core (1) Duo) Notebook. I boot w/ -v option and all runs ok but when it would get into the language selection menu it freeze with a white screen (without the apple logo).

I've tried to boot with the Boot-132 Disc and also with a usb with chameleon RC3 (with fakesmc and disabler kexts) using the original SL install disk and an USB copy of it. any combination of these would get into the white screen...

It's a very low-ending machine, so the bios has no option at all. (only the very basic options, but no SATA configuration or HPET or anything you should expect to make any difference for a SL install) It has intel chipset w/ ICH7 / GMA950 / Realtek 8111B

It's already dual booting W7 and Leo 10.5.6 and I also have a c2quad (Q8200 / P5QC / 9500GT) runing sl 10.6.1 very smoothly, but it would be nice to have OS 10.6 running into this laptop.

If anyone have some advices to me i would really appreciate!

Also sorry for any bad english in here.

thanks in advance!

disable the Core Duo support in BIOS. then after installation is done, you can use Voodoo TscSync to enable the Core Duo feature.. then you can change ur BIOS setting back to normal.

I have just installed Snow Leopard on my Toshiba Satellite A305-S6843 and when I try and boot into Snow Leopard I get KP. I have tried to follow several existing guides with no luck. Install went fine and I am using Chameleon 2 RC 3. I have attached a picture of the KP. Anyone have any suggestions as to why I am getting panic or how to fix it?

post-403686-1258766117_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: solved using Chameleon 2 RC3.

Hey, I think I'm missing something...

I'm trying to install SL on my Inspiron 6400, using a retail disc (which I've copied to a new partition) and a usb-stick holding Chameleon 2 RC1, just like the guide says.

When booting Chamelelon with the USB Stick, I can't choose anything but "Chameleon 2", which is obviously my USB Stick and it gives me "can't find mach_kernel". There's no sign of any of my HD partitions (not the currently-working "Leopard" one, neither the empty "Snow" or the "Mac OS X Install DVD").

What am I missing? Why can't I boot the SL Installation partition from Chameleon? Is there anything special I need to do to let Chameleon know about my HD?

Please help!

• 2 months later...

I have trouble installing snow leopard in my laptop alienware m15x intel 7i 720m , Nvidia GTX 260M, 4GB 1333MGz... I can install the leopard mac but when i try to install the snow leopard its frezze a white and black screen appear and restart everytime i want to booted, i try to install leopard then over the leopard install the snow leopard but 1 time i can start snow leopard the video of welcome begins and when promptme the first screen to put my information all the screen goes gray markwater and says was a problem and i need to restart. what can i do to fix it???? everyone? help :rolleyes::sorcerer::ihw_wow:

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask but I have spent several weeks searching and I am not clear yet on one thing.

Is it possible to install Snow Leopard on a PC without access to a real Mac or a Hard Drive from a real Mac

I have the Intel hardware posted in the Lifehackers shopping list and the Snow Leopard Box Set as well as the Snow leopard Update Disk.

I believe I have asked at least 35 and maybe as high as 50 people if they have a Mac or know someone who does and so help me they look at me as if I my head just spun around and I was drooling Gwockomolie.

Given the Intel based hardware and Mac software that I have - can Snow leopard be made to run on (install) on this stuff without a real live Mac to do the prep on.

Thank You so very much

ArrBee (Ronnie B.)

Downloaded everything, view hundreds of threads for snow leopard 10.6.0. and reinstall many times because it won't boot even with -x after failing to boot properly.

Everything is working EXCEPT SLEEP!!!!!

What the heck is happening? I'm using NullCpupowermanagement and sleepenabler.

When I try to click sleep the mouse is the only one disappears then it hangs in desktop. What the hell? I saw NullCpupowermanagement and sleepenabler loads in -v but it doesn't work.

Here's the last source I tried but still didn't work. WHAT THE FCK!

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/

Here's my exact specification except for the wireless and lan card.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...Portables#GX620

Kexts:

AHCIPortInjector

AppleACPIPP2Nub

EvOreboot

fakesmc

IOATAFamily

NullCpuPowerManagement

PlatformUUID

SleepEnabler

VoodooBattery

VoodooHDA

VoodooPowerMini

VoodooPS2Controller

Another thing, when I press the power button on my laptop nothing happens? I remember when I install iAtkos v7 it works fine? Sleep also works fine there. What kext should I use for that?

Thank you very much

• 2 months later...
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask but I have spent several weeks searching and I am not clear yet on one thing.

Is it possible to install Snow Leopard on a PC without access to a real Mac or a Hard Drive from a real Mac

I have the Intel hardware posted in the Lifehackers shopping list and the Snow Leopard Box Set as well as the Snow leopard Update Disk.

I believe I have asked at least 35 and maybe as high as 50 people if they have a Mac or know someone who does and so help me they look at me as if I my head just spun around and I was drooling Gwockomolie.

Given the Intel based hardware and Mac software that I have - can Snow leopard be made to run on (install) on this stuff without a real live Mac to do the prep on.

Thank You so very much

ArrBee (Ronnie B.)

Well i believe it is possible through bootloaders that loads the original Install Disc, like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

• 1 month later...

Lol guy how much complication for the Inspiron 6400 install, and getting 950GMA to work even in the first boot (enjoy the welcome video), if someone needs help I just message me lol have a really nice solution for all of us! No boot 132, no messing whith kext, no terminal and no DSDTs files just click enter you password and wait for intallation :D I'm considering abour making a nice guide with pictures and everything so far y I don't have the time but will help :D my only issue is getting sleep working on 10.6.4 :'(

Cheers Tiuno!

Lol guy how much complication for the Inspiron 6400 install, and getting 950GMA to work even in the first boot (enjoy the welcome video), if someone needs help I just message me lol have a really nice solution for all of us! No boot 132, no messing whith kext, no terminal and no DSDTs files just click enter you password and wait for intallation :D I'm considering abour making a nice guide with pictures and everything so far y I don't have the time but will help :rolleyes: my only issue is getting sleep working on 10.6.4 :'(

Cheers Tiuno!

just sold my E1505/6400, time for a new adventure.

just sold my E1505/6400, time for a new adventure.

lol lucky you I wish I could start some new project but I have no money for this by now anyway :)

good luck with your future project!

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Hi. I followed this tutorial a while back and got everything working perfect. I was using it to develop iPhone games successfully. I recently upgraded my graphics card from a GTX 280 to a GTX 480 and now it will not boot. It gets the the loading screen and hangs till eventually the screen dims and tells me to hold down the power button to turn of my computer. I also added a new sound card since then, but I dont think it is the culprit. Here are my full specs.

ASUS P6T Deluxe

Intel Core i7 930

6GB DDR3 Ram

EVGA GTX 480

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD ( boots windows 7)

SATA standard 160HDD (boots Snow Leopard)

SATA standard 1TB (Storage)

Please, any all help is appreciated. I really need to get this back up and running. I have a publisher waiting to try one of my games, but I can't compile it till I can boot into OSX.

The problem is, I setup OSX so long ago, I don't even remember where to start. Plus, I cant boot into OSX right now and all these tools seem to run under OSX. I can boot into Windows 7 and access my OSX Drive using MacDrive just fine though.

Thanks guys

p.s. if there's something I must do under OSX, I can go to my brother house and use his MacBook

Changing sound cards ( Starting from behind here) will most likely cause you not having any sound at all at the beginning, IF not BOTH sound cards are based on SAME sound chip, then you are lucky.

Graphic card. well most likely your new graphic card craves another EFI string compared to the old one, and the EFI string you have to fix for the new card and then add it in the right place. as long as you dont do that it will not work. I would suggest you first of all change back to the old graphic card ( if you still have it) so that you can finnish your work. Then when you are done with your work you should check the forums ( since it seems you dont remember how it was done anymore) for fixing an EFI string for your card and where to add it. I have not needed to work with the EFI strings for over a year now so i am also a bit in the dark, but if I recall correctly the EFI strings goes into DSDT file. I remember using some program to make the DSDT file ( in your case you have one already most likely, which meeas you have to decode it into a text file, change the EFI string part and then decode it back to a DSDT file. Remember how the program I used worked but cant remember the name.

IF I am out taking a walk now completely and saying stuff wrong then someone correct me. But main point is, "Driver" for the new graphic card does not exist on your Hackintosh which means you have to fix that part before the new card will work with your setup. So my suggestion is to fast put back the old card and fix your work and then try to fix the EFI string part for the new card.

PS!, if I remember correctly you should when you start the computer with the new card before you have the "Drivers" fixed go into start menu. That is when the comp is starting and the countdown begins ( usually you have 5 sec there to add any extra parameters) start the computer in safe mode. In safe mode it should work ( without any heavy 3d graphics but just 2d stuff that is). If I remember right the parameters for safe mode is "-s", without the "".

Well, I bable a lott so I hope you manage to fix your work in time and then can fix the new driver for your new cool graphic card. Good luck mate.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am a total newbee on this, but already LOVE it! Managed to install MyHack and Snow Leopard on my MS-7525-motherboard.

All working very fine.... Though I miss the audio-driver for this :-)

How do I fix it....? Thanks in advanced.