Finally GA-P35-DS3L REV:2.0 Success

swede420

119 posts in this topic

just did a successful install with this method on a EP35-DS4

now i'm trying to put my HD4870 512mb dual DVI to work but still nothing.. the only way for me to get by the crippled black and white screen was to rename the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and deactivate it.

But still no res or QE/CI.

any clues?

thanks!

just did a successful install with this method on a EP35-DS4

now i'm trying to put my HD4870 512mb dual DVI to work but still nothing.. the only way for me to get by the crippled black and white screen was to rename the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and deactivate it.

But still no res or QE/CI.

any clues?

thanks!

Hi, congrats on your success. I have the same mobo, with bios version 5. Does the sound work for you? Which kext are you using for sound?

I have a dsdt.aml which makes sound work under 10.5.7 but not with SL but I think it's related to the kext I'm using.

Following the install guide exactly, I was having a problem during installation .. it would go most of the way then would stop with an error, something like:

The installer could not install some files to /Volumes/SnowLeopard. Contact the software manufacturer ...

This problem seems to be the same problem that's causing some kernel panics for others during installation: the printer driver issue. I looked at the Installer Log and found that there was a permission denied while trying to write some hp printer driver (I don't have any hp printers), which killed the install.

I started the install again, then went to "Customize" and deselected the option under printer drivers to install all local printers, then selected to install only those printers that have been used by this mac. That worked and the install finished successfully.

desau, what BIOS version are you running? Also, were you able to boot into SL after your install?

FYI, attached picture is as far as my boot gets...

Hi, congrats on your success. I have the same mobo, with bios version 5. Does the sound work for you? Which kext are you using for sound?

I have a dsdt.aml which makes sound work under 10.5.7 but not with SL but I think it's related to the kext I'm using.

If you have sound set up in dsdt.aml (alc888) use this legacyhda and leave vanilla AppleHDA

(for ga-p35-ds3l)

And if the clicking sound ever time sound wakes gets on your nerves try this

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo...p;mode=feedback

you'll have to install rosetta as its ppc and add it to login items

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

desau, what BIOS version are you running? Also, were you able to boot into SL after your install?

FYI, attached picture is as far as my boot gets...

I'm running F1.

And no .. it's not booting.

I get a kernel panic when it tries to fsck the root device... :)

You see them until you boot it for the first time. Then they "disappear" again ;)

No didn't disappear. Have done multiple boots and still there

Also just discovered that my firewire card can't be seen in system profiler and doesn't work

I just completed this install on my P35-DS3L REV 2.0 as well. For the most part, things seem to be working pretty well. Every so often i'm getting a kernel panic which points to mDNSResponder. Anyone have any idea what might trigger that? I read that it relates to Bonjour networking, so I tried the Bonjour networking trick (with the 2 Extension.mkext files) that's floating around this forum, but i'm not sure if it worked or not (no KP yet...). I also had a KP while trying to do Time Machine backup, but I missed the error message, so I'm not sure what caused that.

That aside, this forum has been incredible for getting this to work!

I just completed this install on my P35-DS3L REV 2.0 as well. For the most part, things seem to be working pretty well. Every so often i'm getting a kernel panic which points to mDNSResponder. Anyone have any idea what might trigger that? I read that it relates to Bonjour networking, so I tried the Bonjour networking trick (with the 2 Extension.mkext files) that's floating around this forum, but i'm not sure if it worked or not (no KP yet...). I also had a KP while trying to do Time Machine backup, but I missed the error message, so I'm not sure what caused that.

That aside, this forum has been incredible for getting this to work!

For anyone getting random kp with no definable course, try installing snow leopard again from withing a snow leopard setup, making sure that "ignore permissions on this drive" isnt ticked in system info.

That has been the only way that worked for me not one crash since and in 64bit mode

managed to get Snow Leopard working on my GA-P35-DS3R (Rev. 2.0, Bios: F13) board following "blackosx" guides... First i followed his DSDT guide to create my own, my only problem is that i've got no sound. My board has got the ALC889a (selected this in dsdt gui), also selected the "HDEF" checkbox, and copied a Legacy Apple HDA in my chameleon /Extra/Extensions folder... Is this possible or is another way necessary for ALC889a?

managed to get Snow Leopard working on my GA-P35-DS3R (Rev. 2.0, Bios: F13) board following "blackosx" guides... First i followed his DSDT guide to create my own, my only problem is that i've got no sound. My board has got the ALC889a (selected this in dsdt gui), also selected the "HDEF" checkbox, and copied a Legacy Apple HDA in my chameleon /Extra/Extensions folder... Is this possible or is another way necessary for ALC889a?

Use this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1229762 (post #388)

then use blackosx's method for regenerating extensions.mkext in extra/extensions. replace the drive names with the ones you used for your install.

firstly, untick "ignore permissions on this volume" in the 'get info' section of your chameleon drive.

chameleon: my chameleon 2 rc1 install partition

snowy: my snow leopard install partition.

replace them with ure volume names.

then in terminal:

sudo -s
(password)
sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Chameleon
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Chameleon
kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/Snowy/System/Library/Extensions

hope this helps.

I'm almost there, and I am wondering if any of you have had similar problems. My boot of Snow Leopard hangs at whatever comes after the ethernet "phyWaitforAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT", since that is the last thing I see when it boots (and hangs). It has to be an extensions thing, but I have everything in there that everyone with successful boots is posting needs to be in the /Extensions folder.

I've done some searching, and some people suggest that it might be a graphics problem. I doubt it, but it's worth looking into. Any suggestions?

My Extra/Extensions folder looks like the one posted here earlier. For those of you with working retail DS3L installations, did you have any trouble like this?

I had my SL install working pretty well last nigh in 32 bit mode with only the occasional, explainable KP. Then all of the sudden I rebooted and started seeing this same error. I can't figure out what caused it either. I had rebooted numerous times without trouble. Only thing I can think of is that I did a permissions repair. I think im going to try to do a reinstall from within safe mode on (which still works). Maybe then I'll have better luck.

Thanks a lot for the guide link. My ga-p35-ds3l is up and running. 2 days with no kernel panics! I haven't had a single one. Thanks again. Glad to help anybody

Can you post what Kexts you had in your /Extra/Extensions folder on your Install volume? (If you did it that way). I'm having a problem getting the installer to complete without KP. It worked yesterday and I swear i'm doing the same thing and it's not working now.

Also, would you mind posting a list of the Kexts you placed in your Chameleon partition once you got everything installed?

Thanks a ton!

Can you post what Kexts you had in your /Extra/Extensions folder on your Install volume? (If you did it that way). I'm having a problem getting the installer to complete without KP. It worked yesterday and I swear i'm doing the same thing and it's not working now.

Also, would you mind posting a list of the Kexts you placed in your Chameleon partition once you got everything installed?

Thanks a ton!

On my install volume it looks like the picture.

post-138576-1251775173_thumb.jpg

Did you make sure to edit your PlatformUUID.kext and change the string to the UUID of your install drive?

The Chameleon partition has pretty much the exact same thing. I used the 64-bit loader and the same kexts. All the files come from the link in the original post.

On my install volume it looks like the picture.

post-138576-1251775173_thumb.jpg

Did you make sure to edit your PlatformUUID.kext and change the string to the UUID of your install drive?

The Chameleon partition has pretty much the exact same thing. I used the 64-bit loader and the same kexts. All the files come from the link in the original post.

I actually hadn't edited the PlatformUUID.kext file...I didn't think it said you had to until later on (after the installation). I did this though, and it seemed to help a little. The installer made it about 1/3 of the way through before crashing this time (as opposed to like 1/8 of the way before). I thought maybe this crash had to do with printers/languages being selected, so I unchecked them, but go another KP altogether (it was linked to mkext). Any idea's on that one? My Install drive looks exactly the same as your as far as Kexts and other files are concerned, so I can't figure out what else could possibly be wrong. DSDT file maybe?