[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1331 replies to this topic

Zackouille

Zackouille

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Here are the kext that are working for my system D630
ehternet put in s/l/e
pcmcia put in e/e
rebuild mkext
repair permission
restart your system.

Hello first of all, many thanks to Leppy for the job he's doing on the D620, it's wonderfull, and installing a mac os on a D60 is really easy, even for a noob like me.
after this succes on a D620, i try to do the Same on my D630.
but, there is no way currently for me to have Ethernet.
i have try many thing, but, at the end, ethernet doesnt want to work

and i have a question.
when you said put in S/L/E it's System/Library/Extra ?
when i do that, i have a popup saying that this kext cannot be installed due to improper installation.
maybe i put the Kext in the wrong directory (for now, i pu it in the Extra directory)

kind regards

Zackouille

ps: i still have also issue with the T9300 witch is not recognized, and Sleep / restart / shutdown.

itry2hide

itry2hide

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm running 10.6.2 on a D630, Intel X3100. Everything works fine, including Ethernet, Clamshell sleep, etc.. When I updated to 10.6.3, I lost sleep capabilities. Back to 10.6.2 Happy again!

fyangster

fyangster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Hello first of all, many thanks to Leppy for the job he's doing on the D620, it's wonderfull, and installing a mac os on a D60 is really easy, even for a noob like me.
after this succes on a D620, i try to do the Same on my D630.
but, there is no way currently for me to have Ethernet.
i have try many thing, but, at the end, ethernet doesnt want to work

and i have a question.
when i do that, i have a popup saying that this kext cannot be installed due to improper installation.
maybe i put the Kext in the wrong directory (for now, i pu it in the Extra directory)

kind regards

Zackouille

ps: i still have also issue with the T9300 witch is not recognized, and Sleep / restart / shutdown.

shut/down will not work for D630 with nVidia for restart use Leppy DSDT
For sleep and lid cover I use sleep enable
All those apps are from kexts.com

Yes put in System/library/Extensions
Make sure you use kexts helper to do the installation it will put in the right location. This is not a copy and paste if you need the kexts app please go to h**p://kexts.com and download kext utility. It's in the Tools icon search for (kexts utility x64)

Removed it from e/e as it will not work.

consolation

consolation

I am not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
S/L/E/ = system/library/extensions

Zackouille

Zackouille

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks to all, i have my ethernet back
but i have lost my screen ... because, after getting back my ethernet, i have launched the upgrade utility. and since this upgrade, i have a black screen instead of the logon screen.

but, anyway thank to you .

i guess i will reinstall my Computer.

Kind regards

Xavier

chasmataz

chasmataz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
10.6.3 killed my wireless, i'm going back to 10.6.2 in which everything worked. thanx leppy, this is the simplest method of installing the mac os on a dell.

mstevens

mstevens

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
DSDT Patching and First Post

I have a D620, Intel GMA950, 4 Gigs, Latest BIOS - A10, and found a broadcom wifi card.

I ordered the SL retail disk just over a week ago and have been experimenting ever since.

I've now read through the entire thread, I wish I started off reading it front to back, but I have to admit that I started by searching for specific requirements, and got caught a few times wishing I had read a few more pages ahead, so I just sat down and read everything.

First off thank you very much to Leppy*****, Consolation, and SA22C. Also individuals that shared thier experience, and therefore made my experience alot smoother.

This was my first time experimenting with OSX, and I really like it.

I started off with a 2nd dedicated drive, I liked what I saw so much that I bought a 500 Gig drive, and found a broadcom wifi card.

10.6.2 is working great, I've been playin with it for just over a week, and like I said...I really like it. I tried upgrading to 10.6.3, but as many users experienced out, I had issues, so I rolled back.

I also have been flipping between a "test drive" and "Main" drive, "test drive" is single boot OSX, "Main" drive is dual boot.

Everything has been working great except a few items, and one that I would like to overcome.

1. When I launch "Activity Monitor" I get a KP. Same issues as described by SA22c some time ago. (I actually implemented all the BIOS settings that were described to match Leppy's, didn't help)

2. No Sleep I'm using the default Leppy instructions. (I've turned off sleep, to avoid issues)

3. System seems to run a bit hot. (fans are running more than I'm used to)

4.**** I would like to take a crack at DSDT patching, so that I can use the default vanilla kexts, and maybe have better luck with sleep. but I'm looking for a bit more guidance.

I followed Consolations feedback provided: Apr 4 2010, 06:58 AM post/link:
"950 people, I suggest you look here and use it as starting point to patch your DSDT so that you can use vanilla kexts."

The instructions talk about using OSX Terminal to patch DSDT, but from reading this thread, I'm getting mixed signals as to whether the DSDT process should be run on OSX or another Linux OS, or if it is OS X, Leppy commented:

"Kexts can inject their own junk into the process that results in a less than optimum DSDT patch".

I tried using the Experimental D620 Intel DSDT provided by Leppy, but didn't have success, the system would start to boot, but the screen would just blank out after the apple logo, so I reverted back

I'm also concerned about loosing sound, as reported by a few users experimenting with DSDT.

I think I'm technically competent enought to run through DSDT patching with a bit of hand holding, or perhaps links to better documentation, I recognize that this thread is geared towards those that just want to get OS X up and running on a D620, and for me....goal achieved....and thanks a million :)

I would like to take it to the next level, so that I can load SL updates, and get display and potentially lid sleep working, I would appreciate any guidance. I recognize that full sleep, and hibernate aren't going to happen, and I can live with that, but I don't want to kill my display prematurely if I can avoid it.

I'm good with all the acronyms used in the thread, If someone is willing to give me some help patching, I would appreciate.

Again, thanks for this great thread and a great experience, I see a genuine Mac in my future, but for now this D620 is a perfect introduction.

Thanks again,

M

maykmac

maykmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
has anyone tried this guide on a D420? i can install kalyway's 10.5.2 no dramas, but i want to install SL.

tried the guide on the first page but no luck :rolleyes:

consolation

consolation

I am not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

DSDT Patching and First Post

Thanks again,

M

Just to make sure; you used leppy's latest patched DSDT, with the latest bunch of kexts he included in that post and no others (yes you may need others to get some bit working and/or move them - let's not worry about that now..)? Also, you have either Graphics Enabler on in plist OR a plist string OR you are using NVenabler64? After installing the kexts, dsdt, doing plist edits, you run kext utility?

Have you tried booting with -v -f? What about -s?

Thanks fyangster for the PCMCIA kexts. Works for me and as a bonus I get full PCI bus info in system profiler, nice. Only drawback is that hotswaping cards causes all USB devices to get ejected.

Oddly, I can hot swap Firewire cards and USB cards without any problem. WWAN cards cause my usb drive to eject as well...

maykmac

maykmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Great work leppy. I am almost happy with my D420 with SL 10.6.2......but......can you activate the PCMCIA slot like writen in your first topic and do you know a way to get the SD-cardreader (O2 Micro) work on my D420?

Thanks a lot, Simon

hey which guide did you follow to make SL work on your D420? i have the $29 disk will it work?

edit: nevermind, i found the answers halfway reading the thread... installing SL at the moment. :weight_lift:

Zackouille

Zackouille

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

One More time, many thanks to everyone.
my dell d630 mac os is back on duty.
and i'm very happy.

but... there is a but.
i'm not sure that the DSDT.aml file is used.
i have put it on the root directory
but i still have the issue with restart. the screen is going to be black, and nothing append. i should press the power button in order to be able to reboot.
have you any idea ?

my system :
Dell D630
Proc : T9300 (ES)
Mem: 4 GO
HDD : 160 Go 7200 tr/min
Video : Nvidia NV 135
integrated Audio HD
Ethernet broadcom
Wifi : Atheros AR5BXB92
Bluetooth Dell 360
WWAN Dell 5530

Mac OS 10.6.3
everything is working well, except restart, shutdown.

there is a special way to install the DSDT file ?

kind regards

Zackouille

maykmac

maykmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
i am now posting this from a newly installed SL on Dell D420! thanks to this thread!!! :( i think i might buy a bigger HD tho :D

a big thanks to leppy (ur the man!) and to all who contributed to make this install so much easier!

fyangster

fyangster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

One More time, many thanks to everyone.
my dell d630 mac os is back on duty.
and i'm very happy.

but... there is a but.
i'm not sure that the DSDT.aml file is used.
i have put it on the root directory
but i still have the issue with restart. the screen is going to be black, and nothing append. i should press the power button in order to be able to reboot.
have you any idea ?

my system :
Dell D630
Proc : T9300 (ES)
Mem: 4 GO
HDD : 160 Go 7200 tr/min
Video : Nvidia NV 135
integrated Audio HD
Ethernet broadcom
Wifi : Atheros AR5BXB92
Bluetooth Dell 360
WWAN Dell 5530

Mac OS 10.6.3
everything is working well, except restart, shutdown.

there is a special way to install the DSDT file ?

kind regards

Zackouille

Zack,
For restart to work make sure you have openhaltrestart, nullcpupowermanagement, voodooPower.kext in your e/e
Then rebuild your mkext.command then repair permission.
Restart will work it will delay for almost 15 to 30sec for it to kick in.

mstevens

mstevens

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Just to make sure; you used leppy's latest patched DSDT, with the latest bunch of kexts he included in that post and no others (yes you may need others to get some bit working and/or move them - let's not worry about that now..)?

Ok, this made me go back and take a look again, and it turns out I wasn't following the process properly, I copied and replaced files in the Extra folder instead of completely replacing the folder. After completing the instructions, I made it further and I was able to get into the OS. -Thank you. :rolleyes:

So I've made it further with Leppy's DSDT Extra Folder for the GMA950.

As reported I had no sound, so I added sound using a link I found in the thread to voodooHDA 2.5., and "Kext Helper B7" I'm not clear if this is this is the right way to add Kext's to S/L/E, but this is a way that seems to work.

-Microphone quality seems to be lower quality that before I did DSDT patching, before I could get Voice Commands to work, but it doesn't seem to understand commands using DSDT and the voodooHDA 2.5. (I've tweaked the levels in both cases to make it work and this doesn't help) **not very importing though.

-I somehow really messed up my test drive install when I was testing sleep with various configurations, and have to get that back online and/or start over clean. (I'm comfortable with this process, using CD's to boot, and restoring Extra from utilities command line)

-I applied my successful testing to my working drive, and everything seemed fine, using 10.6.2, as I was reading through the thread, there was some mention of Quartz not working, and to tesk Quartz using Front Row, so I tried playing a TV show video through Front Row (the only content I have on the system) and no go. The I decided to play TV Show HD video through ITunes, and for some reason ITunes asks me to re-authorize every time I click on an HD TV Content on my system from the store, (I don't get the request for SD video), after I authorize, the video is grey, and no audio but the player continues to count. SDD video of the same content works fine, But in all fairness I have to go back and test with a non DSDT environment, because I didn't confirm this function before I went to DSDT. I'm also curious to know whether upgrading to 10.6.3 would solve the issue now that I'm using DSDT, would need to test this as well.

-Would really like to have all video functions working on the machine, although maybe the machine is underpowered for HD Video? (seems to work in Windows though)

As far as sleep goes, I think I'm mixing up display off and sleep terminology, so I'll describe what I would like to achieve at minimum.

This is what I'm hoping to achieve:

-If I leave my system for more than 5 minutes the display will shut off. (this seems to be working with DSDT and non-DSDT config.) I moved the sleep slider to Never and I move the display slider to 5.

-If the lid is closed, the display turns off, (Minimum), I open the lid the display comes back on. Ideally, I could close the lid, the system "Sleeps", system turns down, contents stay in "RAM", loose power, loose content. Don't care about ram contents written to disk, not looking for hibernate or sudo Hibernate.

This is where I think I'm running into boot issues, for when I close my lid it seems that the OS is writting to the drive, and then I can't boot without the Boot CD, and I may have actually corrupted my test drive.

Also should mention that "Activity Monitor" is still causing me a KP with DSDT, with 10.6.2 and 10.6.3.

Anyhow, sorry for the long story, but I'm looking for feedback on process to close my lid without causing a volatility issue. (I have young kids, and the lid someday will be, has been closed when I'm working on something)

As far as your other questions:

Also, you have either Graphics Enabler on in plist OR a plist string OR you are using NVenabler64?

I'm not sure but I'll look at it if there is some benefit, what does Graphics Enabler do? What NVenabler64 do? Please note that I think I'm running 32 bit. or at least that's the option I'm picking when I use "rebuild_mkext" When I see NVenabler64, I think it's a 64bit option or file, is my assumption incorrect, or am I way off in left field?

If I missed descriptions for the Graphics Enabler and NVenabler64 and/or there are items I should be editing in plist or a plist string, please advise I'll address immediately in my testing. I'll start searching for descriptions of these items.

After installing the kexts, dsdt, doing plist edits, you run kext utility?

What I've been doing for Kexts is runnig "rebuild_mkext" if I add/remove kexts from /Extra, if I want to add a Kext to S/L/E, I've been adding the Kext using "Kext Helper B7".

Have you tried booting with -v -f? What about -s?

I definately have not, I get that these are parameters, where would I input these parameters, and where are they defined. Again, I'll start searching for the answers, but links or direction would be helpful if you have the time.

I really appreciate the patience, I obviously haven't absorbed enough of the concepts being discussed, but I'll keep pressing on, the objective now is to get stability, working Video/media playing system, (want to do what I can do in windows with this machine), and stability with lid closure.

PS. Is there a known list of main applications, or functions that simply won't work on the D-Series SL install, or non-apple machines, IE. Activity Monitor, someone mentioned iPhoto not working, just want to make sure my expectations aren't set too high. If I know that users have never been able to get application or function X working on a D620 or D series, at least I'll know not too much time searching and testing.

M

loudog3114

loudog3114

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
any way to do this with the osx retail dvd burned to a usb hdd?

littledragon

littledragon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
After a few days of tinkering, I got 10.6.3 working perfectly aside from not being able to restart. Shutdown works but not restart. It sleeps properly and the sound doesn't crackle anymore. I got adventurous and did a triple boot with Windows 7 and Lucid Lynx (which is freakin fast BTW). I also managed to create a 400gb shared FAT32 partition that all 3 OS's can see. The tough part was getting that 5th partition because a hybrid GPT/MBR drive only supports 4 partitions and 3 OS's with the EFI partition is 4 already... I'll write more if anyone's interested. I'm 3 mins from leaving the office.

maykmac

maykmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I upgraded my D420 to 10.6.3 but i noticed it's a little bit slower than 6.2?

yep it's on the first page.

any way to do this with the osx retail dvd burned to a usb hdd?

littledragon

littledragon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Figured I share this with everyone. After the 10.6.3 update, I ran Leppy's d620nv in post #2 and most things worked properly... this rar contains fixes for everything else... or rather everything that mattered to me anyways...

http://chingchongpin.../D620_Kexts.rar

It contains my Extra's folder as well as kexts for sound, crackling coming out of sleep, lid sleep, shutdown/restart fix, ethernet card. For me, it's perfect but who knows, maybe there's something wrong with something I never use like the mic or pcmcia slot..

loudog3114

loudog3114

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I upgraded my D420 to 10.6.3 but i noticed it's a little bit slower than 6.2?

yep it's on the first page.

I dont see it...

littledragon

littledragon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Figured I share this with everyone. After the 10.6.3 update, I ran Leppy's d620nv in post #2 and most things worked properly... this rar contains fixes for everything else... or rather everything that mattered to me anyways...

http://chingchongpin.../D620_Kexts.rar

It contains my Extra's folder as well as kexts for sound, crackling coming out of sleep, lid sleep, shutdown/restart fix, ethernet card. For me, it's perfect but who knows, maybe there's something wrong with something I never use like the mic or pcmcia slot..

Doh... spoke too soon, trackpoint and touch pad stopped working at some point and I didn't notice because I was setting it up with a mouse..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy