[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

10.6.5 is out! Anyone who tried? :)

Hi,

I have updated to 10.6.5.

So far no issues, but a minor hitch. The DVI output of the 620nv D-Dock gives me problems on the external monitor. I have switched to analog video and this works.

Wifi, Audio, network, blutooth works for me.

Altogether the system is fine. I have instelled iLife and Iphoto seems to be a bit slow. But maybe its scanning faces..

We will see.

One thing, if you use GPGmail with the mail app, to use mail encryption the addon gets thrown out upon start of 10.6.5 . There is a new update in progress for GPG here: http://www.gpgmail.org/index.html

hopefully soon.

Good luck from Germany

I`m using Valkin`s kext`s, and its running well.

I am trying to find a way to stop the laptop from going to sleep when i shut the lid down, because sleep dont work.

Anyone know how i can stop this to allow the laptop to continue running with the lid closed?

cheers guys

10.6.5 is out! Anyone who tried? :D

HI,

i've tried 10.6.5 update on my dual boot D820 gma950 (sl 10.6.4 & windows 7):

i used 10.6.4 before, working perfectly.

after updating the video was broken (no acceleration) so i tried to replace with kext helper the iondrvsupport.kext by the 2.0 version (from 10.6.2).

It seems to fix the problem. but the system crash many times ...

i try to restore by time machine... crash again ...

so i'm waiting more experience from users to try again this update !

Running 10.6.5 great, using a D620 Intel Core Duo, nVida quadro 110m (efi string), all accept sleep work, but other than that its smooth. im using a broadcom 4301 wifi card with firmware modded apple vendor id, using dsdt found on 1st post. all updates etc...also allowing EasyBCD to chainload either chameleon rc5 or win7 loader. the only weird thing i have had to deal always no matter how many updates was that the clocks between osx and windows will always be 2 hours out of sync. OSX usually being the correct one. oh well, small price to pay.

Running 10.6.5 great, using a D620 Intel Core Duo, nVida quadro 110m (efi string), all accept sleep work, but other than that its smooth. im using a broadcom 4301 wifi card with firmware modded apple vendor id, using dsdt found on 1st post. all updates etc...also allowing EasyBCD to chainload either chameleon rc5 or win7 loader. the only weird thing i have had to deal always no matter how many updates was that the clocks between osx and windows will always be 2 hours out of sync. OSX usually being the correct one. oh well, small price to pay.

Try this open regedit

The short solution for people who know how to edit the registry:

A DWORD key called HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal needs to have the value of "1"

The step-by-step solution is as follows:

1. Boot Windows

2. Click Start --> Run and type regedit. Click OK

3. The Windows Registry Editor should pop up. Navigate within the explorer to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation

4. Click on the TimeZoneInformation "folder" from the navigation pane if you haven't already done so.

5. This assumes the correct key doesn't exist. If it does, you will just change the existing key's value: Right click on the white space within the folder (If you don't have a right mouse button, you may need to download a program called applemouse to emulate the "control-click" of the apple 1-button mouse). Select new --> DWORD Value. Title the key "RealTimeIsUniversal" (No quotes). Set the value to "1" (No quotes again). Hexidecimal should be fine.

6. Either reboot and set the clock in MacOS or set the clock in Windows. You should now be able to reboot into either OS and have a correct clock.

It worked for me!!!

Scroll:

I have seen conflicting posts on if anyone has gotten 1 finger scrolling working well on their d620 mac os. If you have and could send me the kext file that would be great.

I have a d620 intel graphics w/broadcom wireless and it is nearly perfect. I am dual booting with Windows 7 as well as running parallels to access my windows from within mac os. The only 2 items that are not perfect are the sleep mode and the trackpad scrolling.

Sleep: With the sleep mode is it computer sleep or screen sleep or neither that work with intel graphics? Thanks!

Wifi: in 10.6.5 is there a kext that I need to install to get my wifi working again? In 10.6.3 it was recognized as an Airport card and worked great. Now it is not recognized. Any suggestions?

Solved: I had to go to one of my time machine backups and save the IO80211Family.kext and restore a previous version. Apparently in 10.6.3 it is version 3.1, and in 10.6.5 it is 3.1.2 (which makes my broadcom card unrecognized)

No Wifi in 10.6.5: Dell 1390 Broadcom Wifi

in 10.6.3 my wifi was recognized as an airport card. now it is not recognized at all. Is there a kext someone can send me or a kext that I should save from 10.6.3 to allow for this to work? I really miss using my mac os, but without wifi it isn't really functional. Thanks for any help.

No Wifi in 10.6.5:

in 10.6.3 my wifi was recognized as an airport card. now it is not recognized at all. Is there a kext someone can send me or a kext that I should save from 10.6.3 to allow for this to work? I really miss using my mac os, but without wifi it isn't really functional. Thanks for any help.

Please tell us what wifi card you have! "duh"

I`m using Valkin`s kext`s, and its running well.

I am trying to find a way to stop the laptop from going to sleep when i shut the lid down, because sleep dont work.

Anyone know how i can stop this to allow the laptop to continue running with the lid closed?

cheers guys

Somewhere in setting (I think expose) you will find a screen that shows you corner so select one and choose put display to sleep and you will be able to close the lid. (It works if you just close the lid for 5 min. without any programs running or indefinably if you have one running {iTunes} if it doesn't work but you see the hard drive write light on then just tap the power button and the display should flicker on...) I don't know why but it seems to be working for me in 10.6.5 vanilla.

10.6.3>10.6.5 works completely for me. Everything worked except Graphics. To fix it download this kext and install with kext helper.

I have a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card in my D620. Is there a 10.6.5 driver for this?

If not I would like to get a replacement card that is know to work. There are a lot of mini pci-express cards on Ebay. Is there a specific one to look for? I presume it should have a Broadcom chip.

Is there an 11N card that would work?

I have a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card in my D620. Is there a 10.6.5 driver for this?

If not I would like to get a replacement card that is know to work. There are a lot of mini pci-express cards on Ebay. Is there a specific one to look for? I presume it should have a Broadcom chip.

Is there an 11N card that would work?

All I know is a 1490 wifi card is airport recognized and will work flawlessly with OSX (no kexts needed) if you find a N card that works flawlessly, please spread the word.

I have a hunch that the dell mini 9's wifi card will also work with this laptop. If someone could test it out for me I would appreciate it!

http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/downloads/ this is a link for the 3945 abg card that you have I haven't had any success with it though...

I have a near perfect dsdt.aml on a d60 gma950. Everything is working great except for the cdrom has vanished. I noticed a post by LatinMcGyver75 back in June:

by the way.. i cant use leppys cd to boot with bios A09.. waiting for root (ahci or ata/ide same)

last time i was able to boot with it was A08 .. hmmm

or it could be atheros card interfering with sata/ata channels ?

UPDATE: apparently its the IDE tiiming registers in dsdt makes cdrom drop from use. ( remove pata ide section in dsdt and add the ide timing fix to sata)

i boot with usb hdd with dvd restored to it and dsdt in it. ( to install )

I have no idea how to fix this and it's totally beyond me. Wondering if someone could take a look at this and see why the cdrom is not working? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

***Update -- FIXED dsdt.aml -- Now fully working with Optional kexts and full native gma950 support:

Use kexts from my post ( obtained from d4x0's EDP ) See post below along with this dsdt.aml and IONDRVSupport for full working native support on d620/gma950.

see post below for newer dtdt which includes usb fix.

Didn't work for the D620 GMA

Note: what ever power kext that you added the the extra folder destroys my ability to wake up from sleep using the corner trick (move mouse to a corner to turn on screen + reverse) in stead of doing this to wake up All the happens is I have to push the power button and wait 10+ sec. for it to respond! Setting the bios system password and the other thing. didn't do anything... :P I thought you had it but no....

By the way Intel Pro Wi-Fi kext seems to be working fairly well at finding networks the hard part is connecting to them...

Note: what ever power kext that you added the the extra folder destroys my ability to wake up from sleep using the corner trick (move mouse to a corner to turn on screen + reverse) in stead of doing this to wake up All the happens is I have to push the power button and wait 10+ sec. for it to respond! Setting the bios system password and the other thing. didn't do anything... :( I thought you had it but no....

By the way Intel Pro Wi-Fi kext seems to be working fairly well at finding networks the hard part is connecting to them...

Note: what ever power kext that you added the the extra folder destroys my ability to wake up from sleep using the corner trick (move mouse to a corner to turn on screen + reverse) in stead of doing this to wake up All the happens is I have to push the power button and wait 10+ sec. for it to respond! Setting the bios system password and the other thing. didn't do anything... :P I thought you had it but no....

Note: what ever power kext that you added the the extra folder destroys my ability to wake up from sleep using the corner trick (move mouse to a corner to turn on screen + reverse) in stead of doing this to wake up All the happens is I have to push the power button and wait 10+ sec. for it to respond! Setting the bios system password and the other thing. didn't do anything... :( I thought you had it but no....

I haven't got it to work either ... yet .. however...It did fix the problem with having to use the buggy appleintelframebuffer kext. I now have full QE support natively with 10.6.5 once I added IONDRVSupport from 10.6.2. It also got me a lot closer to being fully native. The kext pack is small in comparison and my lappy is running cooler as well as having scrolling support on the tp. Overall it's definitely an improvement over the original leppy pack with the exception of the cdrom being sucked down a black hole. Waiting for someone to hopefully fix the dst!!

For those that can't get this pack I'll repost.

Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9.zip

IONDRVSupport.kext.zip

Optional_Extra.zip

UPDATE:

Latest dsdt.aml for Dell Lat 620 gma950 bios a10 ( fixes included: missing cdrom back from the void and usb now functioning ((thanks to Laqk for his fix for the usb irq issue)) )

dsdt.zip

I have a D630 with NVIDIA graphics, and I've been trying to get everything to work for hours! I have gotten it to install but neither the Wireless nor the Ethernet card work. And I've tried every kext and Extra package that google can throw at me, and I can't figure out what is going on!

The NIC card says it is a Broadcom 57xx series. The Wireless card is the Intel version (from what I've ready EVERYWHERE is almost impossible to get up and running, unless you have the beta drivers which requires 10.6.4 or so.) I have 10.6.0 installed and can't even update because my Ethernet doesn't work! :)

Any ideas?

I haven't got it to work either ... yet .. however...It did fix the problem with having to use the buggy appleintelframebuffer kext. I now have full QE support natively with 10.6.5 once I added IONDRVSupport from 10.6.2. It also got me a lot closer to being fully native. The kext pack is small in comparison and my lappy is running cooler as well as having scrolling support on the tp. Overall it's definitely an improvement over the original leppy pack with the exception of the cdrom being sucked down a black hole. Waiting for someone to hopefully fix the dst!!

For those that can't get this pack I'll repost.

Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9.zip

IONDRVSupport.kext.zip

Optional_Extra.zip

UPDATE:

Latest dsdt.aml for Dell Lat 620 gma950 bios a10 ( fixes included: missing cdrom back from the void and usb now functioning ((thanks to Laqk for his fix for the usb irq issue)) )

dsdt.zip

I'll give it a try some time next month... When I get to updating the bios to a10. One question does anything not work?

OS X 10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) Retail Installation Procedure

Tested:

• Latitude D620/D820/D420 with GMA950 Graphics and Broadcom Wifi
  • Latitude D620/D630 with NVIDIA Graphics and Broadcom Wifi

Will probably work on ANY D series Latitude with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia graphics and Intel dual core processor

Working Hardware Accelerated Vid (32-bit only for Intel Graphics)

Working Ethernet (32-bit only)

Working Wifi

Working Sound

Working Shutdown/Restart (D620 Only)

Working Dual Core Support (All) without patched kernels

rebuild_mkext - Easy to customize - add/remove kexts to /Extra/Extensions and then double click rebuild_mkext.command in /Extra to rebuild custom boot cache without impact to /s/l/e. (Do this carefully at your own risk!)

Allows rebuilding of /Extra/Extensions.mkext in 64 bit mode. (Experimental - Nvidia ONLY)

10.6.1 Update works with no issues

Table of Contents:

1. Requirements

2. Installation of OS X 10.6.1 Retail DVD

3. Notes

4. Bugs/Issues

5. Change log

6. Grandiose Plans

7. Begging for feedback (not money)

Requirements

Hardware:

* Dell D420/D620/D820 with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia Graphics with DVD read capability.

* Dell D630 (Nvidia Graphics ONLY) with DVD read capability.

* Similar hardware configurations may work, but are untested.

Software:

* OS X 10.6.0 Snow Leopard RETAIL install DVD. (Buy one - don't steal it)

* CD made from D620SLV1.iso

Installation of OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

2. Follow installation prompt:.

- Before installing, make sure to start the DISK UTILITY (from go>utilities) to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. IMPORTANT: In order for the automated Chameleon install to work during the post install, you must install on the FIRST partition of the FIRST drive. If you have a bunch of drives installed and don't know how to get this done, then I suggest you remove other drives during the installation and post install procedure.

- Suggestion: After partitioning, and at customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default). This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster.

Note: At installation completion, OS X may say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert D620SLV1 boot CD and Reboot. Select your new installation partition from the Chameleon menu and boot.

10.6.0 Post Installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after your first boot up, do the following:

1. Open the boot CD.

2. Double click on post_install.cmd.

3. Follow the simple prompts.

4. When the job completes, reboot.

If desired, download and install the 10.6.1 updates from software updates in OS X.

Notes

1. Dell D620 with GMA950 and Broadcom wireless should have hardware accelerated video, wifi, ethernet, sound, shutdown and reboot, and dual core support working after post install without modification to retail installation. However, the drivers used are only 32 bit compatible. Intel

2. 10.6.1 update presented no issues that needed to be address in my experience.

3. I haven't addressed the PCI card slot. I have it disabled (I never use it). I can add it if there's a demand and a fix I can implement in Chameleon.

4. Intel wifi cards are not supported by OS X. It's all dandy & stuff if you've got yours working, but it's still not supported and I'm not smarter than the guys trying to fix that issue. In fact, I'm barely smart enough to keep myself from drooling on my foot.

Bugs/Issues

1. If you set a system password in BIOS, your sleep may or may not work correctly. It is inconsistent at best here. There are various fixes available with all kinds of varying degrees of reported success, but I have opted not to apply any patches to the 'vanilla' installation itself for this project.

2. The kexts used for this installation are the same ones that resulted in minor video artifacts on my GMA950 machine on 10.5.x. However, I haven't seen any artifacts yet with Snow Leopard.

4. The display is never properly detected and reported, but it works @ 1440 x 900 with full hardware acceleration on my 1440x900 machines Please don't ask why you aren't getting resolutions your particular machine does not support.

5. If I plug the machine into a d/port with two monitors connected, it posts on one monitor and the OS X desktop loads on the other. Now that's almost as messed up as Barack Obama winning a Nobel Peace Prize.

Change log

Initial Snow Leopard Release

Plans

- Scripted builds for a wider selection of hardware supporting both Nvidia and Intel graphics versions of D series Latitudes. (And possibly other compatible hardware)

- Better video solutions for this craptastic GMA950 video chip.

- Scripted EFI partition support.

Feedback, please and Thanks

Thanks to the people at Voodoo Labs. Love your work, you are making things easier.

Voodoo Labs provides kexts that load without modification of the /s/l/e path, including kexts for running the vanilla SL kernel un-patched without skipping or jumping, sound, ps2 device and trackpad support and even a kext to get the battery meter working. They provide Chameleon, the boot loader, which not only allows us to boot Snow Leopard, but also auto-detects and sets up Nvidia graphics well enough to support hardware accelerated video with no additional kexts. I don't want to think of how difficult a project like this would be without their talented hard work.

And AlexD, thanks for the direction to the ethernet kext I was looking so hard for.

And thanks to everyone who has posted any attempt to provide useful information at www.insanelymac.com or even farted in my direction. You've all contributed to the chaos which is part of the cosmic soup that nurtures and feeds inspiration. And if that's not a sign that I have rambled on too long now, nothing ever will be.

- leppy

10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

EXPERIMENTAL: I am still working on these - no guarantee.

Here are my latest /Extra folders for my D620 NVidia, D620 with GMA 950 and D630 Intel.

DSDTs are working as follows:

D620 NV - full sleep, display sleep not working (corrupt video). Shutdown/restart working.

D620 Intel - Full sleep NOT working, display sleep works. Shutdown/restart working. Native kexts work for the first time - no artifacts.

D630 Nvidia - Full Sleep working with pointer/focus problems on resume. Restart works, shutdown does not.

Before replacing your extra folder, make sure you know the name of your Snow Leopard volume. You'll need it for backout if things go badly.

1. Backup your old extra folder if you have modified it.

2. Replace your /Extra folder with the contents of this zip file.

3. Move boot from the new /Extra folder to /

4. Run rebuild_mkext

5. Stick with 32 bit for now - 64 bit plists are not set up.

Warning: Running a DSDT intended for another machine will most certainly cause a kernel panic.

1. If this causes a panic, back out by booting the cd then the SL install DVD. Run terminal from the instalation utilities menu.

2. From the command line, enter this:

rm -R "/Volumes/whatever your Snow Leopard volume name is/Extra"

3. Reboot to your SL partition using the boot CD and either re-run post install or restore your /extra backup.

d620in_03022010_e.zipD620 GMA950

d620nv_03022010_e.zipD620 Nvidia

d630nv_03022010.zipD630 Nvidia

i successfully installed 10.5.8 with updates and all in my acer 4710 laptop using iDeneb, and decided to install 10.6.3 on another partition, everything seems to be working okay, even updated to 10.6.5, i used iAtkos 10.6.3.

the only problem i have is that i can only use secondary display, its not able to detect my primary display, i have looked everywhere trying to look for an easy solution each time i try a patch, it goes to a panic or get stuck at the apple logo..

iDeneb used the gma950 but specified laptop on it iAtkos doesnt specify that.. what can i do to make my primary display work please help.

I'll give it a try some time next month... When I get to updating the bios to a10. One question does anything not work?

So far so good bro. It's by far the closest to the mac god so far. Lots of peeps using a09 and reporting same success and even some have deep sleep working. I wasn't able to get the deep sleep to work either but I'm the same mind as leppy on that one - really don't care that much about it.

gl.

I have a D630 with NVIDIA graphics, and I've been trying to get everything to work for hours! I have gotten it to install but neither the Wireless nor the Ethernet card work. And I've tried every kext and Extra package that google can throw at me, and I can't figure out what is going on!

The NIC card says it is a Broadcom 57xx series. The Wireless card is the Intel version (from what I've ready EVERYWHERE is almost impossible to get up and running, unless you have the beta drivers which requires 10.6.4 or so.) I have 10.6.0 installed and can't even update because my Ethernet doesn't work! :)

Any ideas?

Forget about the wireless intel guy. - It's just not gonna fly until a good driver comes along and u could be waiting till the cows come home on their own for that to happen.

My suggestion buy a cheap broadcom wl off ebay. In the meantime until it arrives use leppy's bcm5751 kext from his pack. I wouldn't bother updating right away though ... wait till you get your broadcom and make sure it's working on 10.6.0 first as the update to 10.6.5 breaks the wireless for some.

10.6.5 is out! Anyone who tried? :)

Yes sir! running great on a d620 GMA950, waiting for my DW1490 wireless card to come in the mail

I downloaded the update ran it, then ran these from here:

I would love to get that single finger scroll everyone's talking about

EDIT: duh, I just had to read the update & hold the two pad buttons to do it, duh!

Hi Everyone,

Just head over to www.osxlatitude.com - there is guides for anything - even sleep, and we will be comming out with EDP 1.4 soon that includes support for Dell Latitude: d420/d430/d520/d620 and D820 with xps laptops in the works.

The dsdt files posted above comes from the d4x0 group to begin with :sorcerer:

Hi Everyone,

Just head over to www.osxlatitude.com - there is guides for anything - even sleep, and we will be comming out with EDP 1.4 soon that includes support for Dell Latitude: d420/d430/d520/d620 and D820 with xps laptops in the works.

The dsdt files posted above comes from the d4x0 group to begin with :thumbsup_anim:

yea, what he said :unsure: